Awoo.

PSO2, Now on PC and Xbox One

SonicLegends

On 5/30/2020 at 11:21 PM, Candescence said:

Apparently the story was streamlined a truckload even in the JP version, according to what I've heard. Unfortunately, it also makes the narrative seem disjointed and unnatural since you're literally just warping to story scenes instead of going through proper missions.

I don't actually remember there really being proper missions when I played it, to be honest. Well, anymore than there is in the current version where you do some interesting stuff from the middle of ep 2 onwards. How it used to work was you would just see the random scenes out in a free field exploration when you met certain conditions (kill 10 udan, get a certain drop, etc) So it was always pretty disjointed. The main difference is now you don't jump through hoops, you pick the scenes from a list. 

The early game story has always been a mess with a couple interesting characters and ideas. Other than making a completely new story mode for eps1-3 from scratch there wasn't a lot SEGA could have done. I don't feel like that would be a good use of resources for a game like this.

On 5/31/2020 at 2:38 PM, Candescence said:

But I guess part of my problem is that I'm not a fan of static theme park MMOs - they're unimmersive, the NPCs are all in the same places, the spawns are all the same, the world never changes, etc. And to make matters worse, the gameplay is usually rather lacking. It's kinda why I've gravitated towards pseudo-MMOs like PSO2 and Warframe. (I used to also play Destiny 2, but I dropped off that train after realizing how fucking pointless the grind is.)

Well, honestly. FFXIV knocks all this stuff out of the park from Heavensward onwards. (well it's still got hotbar stuff, but yeah) Shadowbringers is the best RPG story in years. No "good for an MMO" qualifier required. 

On 5/30/2020 at 10:58 PM, JezMM said:

But they're just completely gone in the English version, meaning so many favourite side characters just get no story at all in the English version, I guess. 

Aren't these scenes unlocked as you play along the main missions as "sub stories?" 

20 hours ago, Remy said:

Aren't these scenes unlocked as you play along the main missions as "sub stories?" 

Yeah, discovered this since I made my post!  I guess the NPCs do get a little development after all, but they're still heavily abridged it seems.  There used to be a good 20-30 or so per chapter, which they've reduced down to about 2 or 3 it seems.  Volcano's chapter for example only has 2 scenes that I'm sure were totally optional before - one with Patty and Tea and one with Lisa.  The stuff with Gettemhart and Quna I'm pretty sure were mandatory since those characters are super important to Episode 1 (and all the stuff with Aki and Wright comes straight from what was once the playable story quest for Volcano).

The story quests WERE pretty forgettable at first but got a bit better as time went on for sure.  I remember the Underground Tunnels one pretty distinctly for having some kind of map-wide switch pushing puzzle to solve, and I'm sure Floating Continent had a bunch of little platforming areas.  I like that sort of thing to break up the combat but... again I think I'm playing the wrong genre.  Most people just wanna fight stuff and see the big big numbers lol.

On 6/3/2020 at 7:24 AM, JezMM said:

The story quests WERE pretty forgettable at first but got a bit better as time went on for sure.  I remember the Underground Tunnels one pretty distinctly for having some kind of map-wide switch pushing puzzle to solve, and I'm sure Floating Continent had a bunch of little platforming areas.  I like that sort of thing to break up the combat but... again I think I'm playing the wrong genre.  Most people just wanna fight stuff and see the big big numbers lol.

Wait there was proper quests where you could do stuff like that??? I must have been not playing PSO2 when that stuff was in the game. I pretty much played the start of ep 1 and then came back around ep 4. 

I kinda agree that stuff is fun, once in a while. Like I can only obliterate so many mobs before my eyes glaze over. 

By-the-by, If anyone wants to play, my GT is xyRemy. I have a couple jobs at cap already but I'm also levelling, gunner techter and force at around lvl 30. I apparaently already have you added, @Candescence from some point in the ancient past. 

myce3zH.jpg