Awoo.

Sonictrainer

Honestly if there's just two or three new common enemies and a few new weapon types or gimmicks (elements, armor, or magic buffs etc) that can be applied across the board to all "intelligent" enemies, I'll be satisfied.  I'd be happy to see some more traditional Zelda enemies return, but they're probably best limited to particular biomes/dungeons so they don't get old or feel like padding.

What I WOULD like to see increased significantly with more uniqueness is big boss enemies.  I'd like to see the team take on the same big risk of "quality content that some players may never even see" like they were so brave to do when they made Lurelin Village completely optional in terms of the Main Quest, and have a fair few unique boss enemies that are only found in one place in the world, and the satisfaction of fighting them is the main reward for reaching them over all else.  Beyond that I'd definitely like to see a few more boss creatures to be placed around the map repeatedly than what we got - preferrably designed with how they - and you- interact with the geometry around them to add more variety, so one boss design can feel very different depending on whether they're faced in a canyon, an open field, some pokey ruins, etc.  Alternatively, more gimmicky versions of the bosses - for each one have like 3-4 variations that could be summed up as "It's <boss>, but the normal way of defeating them makes them do this!" or "It's <boss>", but you aren't able to this!"  Examples in the existing game would be that a Stalnox is "It's a Hinox, but attacking their eye makes it fall out, and you only really do damage then!" or a Frost Talus being "It's a Talus, but you can't climb on it unless you can warm it up somehow!"  Etc. etc.

• Thumbs Up 4

I really just want to meander around the overworld and stumble across a secret cave that's not on the map, only for it to end up being a giant underground catacomb with tons of ore and goodies, but heavily populated with nasty monsters who get nastier the deeper you go, and you only have a torch to help you see; maybe there are multiple entrances and exits that magically warp you to other places above ground; maybe it leads to a secret entrance to an optional dungeon; maybe the game never hints at it, because you're the one who discovered it. I just really want to discover big things like that. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Something I didn't notice before until I noticed somebody pointing it out on a video. In the trailer Link has the master sword on his back, meaning unless something else happens later the player will start off BOTW-2 with the master sword this time. That definitely will change a bit how the battle system will be handled this time if so.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Something I didn't notice before until I noticed somebody pointing it out on a video. In the trailer Link has the master sword on his back, meaning unless something else happens later the player will start off BOTW-2 with the master sword this time. That definitely will change a bit how the battle system will be handled this time if so.

To be fair, while I desperately want the trailer to be representing an experience we have in-gameplay, we can't take anything for granted. For the first 20 hours of BotW I was wondering when I was going to meet up with Zelda in the main quest, because all of her appearances in the trailer implied that it would happen at some point before the end of the game.  Of course I had no idea at the time that all those scenes from the trailer were pre-rendered memories.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, JezMM said:

To be fair, while I desperately want the trailer to be representing an experience we have in-gameplay, we can't take anything for granted. For the first 20 hours of BotW I was wondering when I was going to meet up with Zelda in the main quest, because all of her appearances in the trailer implied that it would happen at some point before the end of the game.  Of course I had no idea at the time that all those scenes from the trailer were pre-rendered memories.

I am aware. It does say "BOTW-2 has started development" for a reason, and why I said "Unless something else happens later." Almost everything could change between now and the end of development. However it also depends on if what they showed us in the trailer was trying to tell us anything or not about their plans. Considering this is a continuation of the first game... I can easily see them trying to imply that Link obtaining the master sword before the end of the last game is canon to the story.

• Thumbs Up 2

21 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

I really just want to meander around the overworld and stumble across a secret cave that's not on the map, only for it to end up being a giant underground catacomb with tons of ore and goodies, but heavily populated with nasty monsters who get nastier the deeper you go, and you only have a torch to help you see; maybe there are multiple entrances and exits that magically warp you to other places above ground; maybe it leads to a secret entrance to an optional dungeon; maybe the game never hints at it, because you're the one who discovered it. I just really want to discover big things like that. 

Yes; theoretically some new elements will appear in place of the Shrines and hidden labyrinthine natural areas would be fantastic!  I do wonder how the map will change, but it feels like there is a medium chance that areas outside of the original map will become part of the story!! 

I'm eager to see what tweaks they make to exploring the overworld. I'm hoping they introduce a wider variety of mounts to ride. The loftwing or some other kind of flying mount is obvious to me as a late game addition but I doubt they'd want you be able to cross the map that easily without pushback even with the late game in mind. You probably wouldn't be able to fly it during storms. I think it'd be worth figuring out for the feeling of diving off the loftwing and paragliding down where you need to go, though.

They should definetly keep using the sheikah technology to cheat and put more land vehicles in. I bet the bike will be accessible early in the next game. Maybe with some new features like being able to cross the water instead of filling the game up with cars and boats and stuff. If Zelda's coming along it'd be cute to have something with a passenger's seat though, lol. Maybe you could even let AI partners drive or other players in your stead while you do something like fire arrows at enemies.

SPEAKING of the water, underwater exploration is kind of a thing they'll have to deal with at some point. It's such a nightmare web of interactions to add on top of everything else that I'm not sure how they'll deal with it. Link being able to change the temparture of the liquid with fire or ice gear would be kinda interesting for puzzle solving. Underwater combat could be kind of a clusterfuck but I can't imagine the game not letting lizalfos chase you down with how it works. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

Hopefully today there is a very, very good chance for this to reappear!!

the original trailer itself turned out to have been basically the best possible amount of revealing: it has felt like a natural amount of time to wait until something new because it was storyboarded as though it were a vision or flash of insight from the future!  I think by not really showing the outside world aside from a very abstract scene at the conclusion helped with that.  

a lot of revelations in here which, until now it had been impossible to guess whether any of these ideas were possible!!  it seems like they have been able to bring many fascinating visions together!   

It all looks very nice, but it feels like we're seeing very little. I'm disappointed.

However, I hadn't even considered the idea of returning to the sky again. Skyward Sword took a really exciting concept of exploring the sky and neutered it. So the fact that that's returning here of all things really excites me. Guess we just carry on waiting.

• Thumbs Up 3

I have to agree, yeah. For such a long wait, kind of disappointing we got so little, especially for a game coming next year. I feel like we could've at least gotten a brief demo of actual gameplay.

Wonder if the lore is gonna tie back to SS in a couple ways since the focus is the Sky this time around. 

Imo they showed off more than enough for now with the game coming next year at the earliest, as hype as it would have been to see a huge information blowout and maybe a Treehouse demo.

Speaking of, I was really surprised they didn't reveal the title. I wonder if they haven't settled on it yet, or more interestingly, if it's tied to something they haven't revealed about the game yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Imo they showed off more than enough for now with the game coming next year at the earliest, as hype as it would have been to see a huge information blowout and maybe a Treehouse demo.

Speaking of, I was really surprised they didn't reveal the title. I wonder if they haven't settled on it yet, or more interestingly, if it's tied to something they haven't revealed about the game yet.

I guess that we already had a teaser two years ago. I either wanted the full full reveal now or nothing at all. This kind of halfway house trailer just doesn't cut it for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, now Skyward Sword ties in to the Marketing strategy perfectly. XD

I'm super excited to see what's coming! It looks like his new powers with his (cursed?) arm include rewinding time on objects, transporting himself up and through islands with some weird water powers and undoubtedly we'll be soaring through the sky during this adventure. It feels like a natural evolution considering the climb and glide mechanic from the first title. 

It DOES look like we still get the Hyrule from the previous game included once again as the map below... but familiarity might actually not be such a bad thing. Nintendo is adding in a greater sense of vertically here with us taking to the sky. So perhaps where Skyward Sword failed in the immersion of flying high above the clouds... BOTW2 here will succeed considering we can see and travel to the ground at will - the islands floating about the place make me think we could get a "Wind Waker in the Sky" sense of adventure that SS lacked.  

Zelda falling to her doom at the beginning though... agh, although there is no context for this cutscene I was really hoping for her to be playable in this game  or to act as some kind of support character for Link.

Only time will tell I guess! Lot of speculative videos ahead to enjoy now! 

Definitely not what I was expecting, but full of very curious looking new ideas for sure.  Having said that I haven't forgotten my dream of desperately wanting to see the open, freedom-filled gameplay being applied to large, enclosed dungeon designs that the first trailer evoked, and this trailer was very much the opposite of that.  I'll be a bit sad if that stuff is all just narrative for the start of the game.

We do see Zelda falling down a big pit though... if we're keeping the dream of her being playable alive, it'd be pretty wild if she got given a bunch of underground puzzle-focused exploration gameplay to partake in while Link handles the main adventure.

• Thumbs Up 2

*Groans* yeah this discourse was inevitable. But yeah, I think my thoughts on this have been made clear. Personally not a huge fan of it. It doesn’t make the game unplayable for me, but like, personally to me, it’s a nuisance and pace breaker more than a immersive feature, and I’ll never get its praise. Games have been able to encourage players to try other weapons just fine without it. *points to Hades* 

2 hours ago, KHCast said:

*Groans* yeah this discourse was inevitable. But yeah, I think my thoughts on this have been made clear. Personally not a huge fan of it. It doesn’t make the game unplayable for me, but like, personally to me, it’s a nuisance and pace breaker more than a immersive feature, and I’ll never get its praise. Games have been able to encourage players to try other weapons just fine without it. *points to Hades* 

Point to Hades as much as you like, but you're comparing completely different genres and gameplay loops. That's not a good example.

BotWs durability system exists because weapons are one of your many resources, as the article points out. Weapons breaking is functionally akin to running out of ammo. Inventory management can be a bit of a ball ache and I seriously hope that Nintendo had fixed that, but that's the only issue with the system. No weapon is unique; the differences between a travellers sword and a royal broadsword are just damage output and durability. You can find find replacements for any of them at any time. Even the supposedly unique weapons such as the Champions' ones  fall into the realms of being basically the same as anything else.

Stop getting attached to weapons in BotW. They're all replaceable. And when people say that they want to repair weapons in BotW, I have to ask how and why? You can find another. If you're so bothered about the prospects of your favourite weapon breaking, you'll learn where to find them and carry several. But they'll still break as you use them and other weapons well make themselves available in the process, so you might as well take them. They all do the same bloody thing anyway. You shouldn't really be focused on favourite weapons or saving them.

• Thumbs Up 4

None of that sounds hard coded into BotW’s identity, as if there’s no alternative. I never claimed it hampered the games experience to the point it sucks or anything, but it’s a bothersome system that breaks the pace of combat, which other open world games have been able to do just fine without.

being realistic, it probably is staying. Not my ideal scenario, but I’ll live. If they can mitigate the annoyance with a way to fix your degrading weapons, that’ll at least be something. But it’s fundamentally always been the least interesting, least fun games mechanic in video games for me weapons breaking. Especially when the knock on effect of that is that exploration feels moreso mandatory and artificial vs simply encouraged, as most of the rewards are just more weapons that’ll eventually break. Opening chests and going out of my way to find secrets, just doesn’t feel as exciting when I know the reward is likely just another weapon. 

I had made a thread awhile back on twitter laying out what I’d personally do to replace weapon durability in botw, I’ll just post it here 

E394sYuWEAAdlr9?format=jpg&name=large
My mind was genuinely completely blown by the direction they're choosing to go with this. All I wanted was a new map to explore but they're taking the open air concept and literally stretching the map out in all directions. Those who speculated that gliding might be a smaller part of the game are in for a surprise when they realize now it might be the most important traversal mechanic. Fujibayashi is going to flesh out the original concept for Skyward Sword now that the hardware has finally caught up. It's so exciting.

The main thing I wanted from the sequel aside from a new map to explore is more enemy variety and it looks like we got it.

E39VvSJWYAUNdQQ?format=jpg&name=largeI'm not sure if this is their take on eyegore/beamos or a new enemy entirely but it looks sick. That snake thing and the "remixed" enemy camps looked dope too. I spent all that time wracking my head on how to make Talos stronger and Nintendo took the simplest/funniest solution.

E38FTXUXoAgLlun?format=png&name=900x900

I noticed that Link wears the arm cannon on his left arm instead of it being an upgrade for his new cyborg one. A new subclass of weapons to serve as an alternative to shields, maybe? Go on the double offensive with a one handed firearm ala bloodborne instead of using parries.
E38KZOoWYAUCdHZ?format=jpg&name=mediumBeing able to just go through certain platforms is the most Nintendo solution to making sure vertical movement isn't a complete fucking mess either lmao. I love it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Seems to be an ongoing debate online on whether the mummy we see is Ganondorf or perhaps Demise.
E3997i4XIAMIpAZ?format=jpg&name=medium

Given the whole sky focus now, clearly building off Skyward Sword and it’s lore connections to the series perhaps, wouldn’t shock me honestly if it were Demise. He could honestly use more fleshing out (yes I know what I said lol) as a character as basically the instigator that kicked off everything in the series. Relegating a character like that to just one game always felt off to me?

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Seems to be an ongoing debate online on whether the mummy we see is Ganondorf or perhaps Demise.
E3997i4XIAMIpAZ?format=jpg&name=medium

Given the whole sky focus now, clearly building off Skyward Sword and it’s lore connections to the series perhaps, wouldn’t shock me honestly if it were Demise. He could honestly use more fleshing out (yes I know what I said lol) as a character as basically the instigator that kicked off everything in the series. Relegating a character like that to just one game always felt off to me?

It's heavily implied that Ganon is the reincarnation of Demise, so it wouldn't make much of a difference I think. Maybe this time he regressed to his original form instead of keeping his Gerudo look from after his first rebirth?

Before Skyward Sword, the series really had nothing to do with the sky, outside of random, self-contained stories in a couple of games. SS made something totally new of the idea and actually wove it into the series over-arching lore. And beyond the Goddess statues and some very subtle nods in BotW... the series hasn't really acknowledged or used the story foundations that SS laid at all. If they're actually building on SS here, that would be amazing. I was so geared up for an underground world. I'd imagined seeing something like another full world/map underneath the original Hyrule from BotW, with new caves and dungeons to explore. The fact that they seem to have literally gone in the opposite direction to what myself and many others expected from the 2019 teaser is actually rather amusing.

To me, SS always seemed a bit obsessed with its story. It was story first, gameplay later, which is antithetical to every other Zelda game that I can think of. But Link is now exploring islands in the sky in the BotW sequel. That's so cool! That's what we all expected from SS with the Loftwing, before it actually turned out just to be one hub town and an assortment of treasure chest islands hidden behind a God-awful motion controlled flying minigame. The story behind the Master Sword, the first Link, the first Zelda and Demise's curse resulting in Ganondorf all felt so forced. And it kind of took away the magic of the series' lore in some way. Although I like the idea of Skyloft and the Loftwings in particular, its an origin story that feels both unnecessary and irrelevant. Like, whatever, everyone used to live in the sky and flew on giant birds. mmkay. That's cute, but what does it have to do with literally anything else in the series?

Could Loftwings be in this game? Could the Oocca, the city in the sky be referenced? And what about Skyloft after is landed on the surface at the end of BotW? I really, really hope these are potential avenues explored in the story or the gameplay. The Oocca might be pushing it and is bottom of my list of wants/expectations. But the Loftwings? Please, Nintendo! Use that awesome idea again! I had casually wondered about the idea of flying on one to explore the BotW map, but never really gave it any thought as it just seemed like it would undermine the climbing and on-foot exploration concepts. It seems like they've now got a gameplay reason to return to the Loftwing idea. And it would be a great way to set this game apart from BotW.

In hindsight, I can't help but wonder if we just sliiiiiiightly saw the seeds of the sky theming here back in the BotW DLC. Aonuma said that this game came about from ideas that were being explored when they were creating BotW's DLC. Master Mode introduced the the Sky Octoroks and floating enemy encampments, some of which were really high up and hard to reach, but they felt very tacked on. Plus the Monk Maz Koshi fight took place on a random flying platform. I get the impression that they wanted to give Link more things to do with the glider than just sail from A to B, but they were unable to do much with the idea. This just seems like a natural gameplay evolution of the glider in BotW now that we've seen it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

As usual with Zelda I don't think there will be any overt references to games in the series that aren't directly connected with this one, so no returning characters like Demise.

Some kind of air mount is basically a shoo in, but it might be a different beast entirely or some kind of vehicle like the master cycle.

17 minutes ago, Wraith said:

As usual with Zelda I don't think there will be any overt references to games in the series that aren't directly connected with this one, so no returning characters like Demise.

I agree with this. Not to mention that the "evidence" supporting this character as Demise is exactly the same evidence used to support it being Ganondorf, except you have to find an alternative way to justify the Gerudo symbols and explain why they'd bring back Demise over the regular recurring villain who already featured in BotW in some form. Any theories suggesting that it's Demise seem so much less plausible and less logical than Ganondorf.

17 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Some kind of air mount is basically a shoo in, but it might be a different beast entirely or some kind of vehicle like the master cycle.

Also, yeah. It could be anything. The paraglider can obviously be used in the sky, but I don't know how beneficial it'll be for actually navigating up there. They could use air currents or somehow give it the ability to glide upwards, although a separate system seems like a better solution to my mind. A Loftwing would be really exciting. Failing that, other mounts would be cool. But ngl I had my fill of magic ancient Sheikah technology in BotW already. Like, did the Sheikah just do everything in the past? Were they literally capable of anything? Let's see something else. Animals, crafted machinery... anything else but just not more Sheikah stuff please. BotW managed to wear that concept very thin.

• Thumbs Up 1