Awoo.

Next Main Game is 30th Anniversary Title, Drop Dash News

Multikaris

1 minute ago, Tangled Jack said:

I'd rather them focus on Sonic (only one) and the canon cast.

They can give any other Sonic character a wispon.

They won't make them playable otherwise, Tails and Knuckles usual gameplay is impossible for them to do with the current team they have

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

They can give any other Sonic character a wispon.

They won't make them playable otherwise, Tails and Knuckles usual gameplay is impossible for them to do with the current team they have

Well, I like the idea of the Avatar, make a spin-off with it, I say.

A game with Sonic and Blaze as the two main protagonists again would be nice.   They haven't done too much with Blaze's world anyway and they could use it is a reason to do something unique for the 30th Anniversary.  If Iizuka wants to challenge himself, make a game like the Adventure games but it expands on the formula in some way.  I like Forces, but the levels were far too short in comparison to what we've gotten in the past.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Forgetful Panda said:

So what do you suppose the odds are this game will be on PS5?

Hard to tell. PS5 and the next Xbox are both due Holidays 2020. If this game is meant to be for the 30th anniversary in 2021, wouldn't surprise me if they have it for the 5 consoles, Switch, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox 4. 2021 is going to be a transisition period where you will see a lot of games released for both platforms, then it will thin out more and more in 2022.

• Absolutely 1

29 minutes ago, Forgetful Panda said:

So what do you suppose the odds are this game will be on PS5?

Seeing how the game is supposed to be the 30th anniversary title, meaning it would come out sometime in 2021 or at least late 2020, and the PS5 is supposed to come out around that time...

Yeah, there's no doubt in my mind we'll be seeing it on PS5. I think it would be a case where it's ported over from last gen consoles rather than being developed with the PS5 in mind, though. It's new hardware after all, and it make sense to play it safe to prioritize developing it for old systems and then give it a port job to have an understanding of the hardware they're dealing with. 

• Thumbs Up 1

We'll probably see it on PS4. Sonic hasn't historically been quick to jump to new consoles since Sonic 2006. Lost World is an exception.

1 hour ago, Plasme said:

Lost World is an exception.

And wasn't that due to Sega signing some sort of exclusivity deal with Nintendo for a few games?

• Thumbs Up 2

Whatever the next game is, the one thing I'm doubling down on as far as desires go is a substantial amount of GAME to mess around with.

Yes, it's true that the run-time of a game is secondary to what the game does with that run-time (in Sonic Forces' case, it does little with both) BUT I'm playing Team Sonic Racing as we speak and the first thing that came to mind was "Goddammit. I love playing this game. It sucks that I keep feeling instant disappointment with how little of it there is". 

There really is a visceral, instant gratification that I feel racing as my favorite video game characters and hearing them throw banter at one another but having to constantly remind myself that this is only possible with 15 of them, with a lot of re-visited areas on top of that is such a nagging feeling.

It makes me want to bite at something. Preferably something eatable so I don't mess up my teeth.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope the next Sonic game is available for the Switch and not just for the PS5 and Xbox 4. Sonic Generations didn't came out for the Wii and was for PS3 and Xbox 360. 

20 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

And wasn't that due to Sega signing some sort of exclusivity deal with Nintendo for a few games?

Yes. I like to call it the "Wii U Deal".

• Chuckle 1

Yeah, it’ll be interesting how the 2021 game/s will play out given that it’ll likely be roughly a year into the Xbox Scarlett/PS5 release. Like others have said, I can see them doing a cross-generational release. It can take a while for a significant amount people to make the jump to a next gen console, and I think SEGA would want to cast a wider net than trying to appeal exclusively to the earlier adopters.

If a cross generational 3D game is on the cards, then what will be interesting is whether they decide to essentially release the same game on all consoles, with the Scarlett/PS5 version having a slightly more impressive look and performance than the PS4/Xbone/Switch version, or go the Sonic Unleashed path of having two significantly different versions; one for the more powerful platforms and another for the less powerful.

Even if the next game is available on PS5 or Xbox Scarlett, the game will probably still look mediocre graphics wise. Remember how Forces, a game released in 2017 for the PS4 and Xbox One, looked worse than Unleashed, a game for the 360 and PS3 and released 9 years earlier?

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, sucram_h said:

Even if the next game is available on PS5 or Xbox Scarlett, the game will probably still look mediocre graphics wise. Remember how Forces, a game released in 2017 for the PS4 and Xbox One, looked worse than Unleashed, a game for the 360 and PS3 and released 9 years earlier?

Time well spent on that Hedgehog Engine 2.

15 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Time well spent on that Hedgehog Engine 2.

It was definitely worth the time to get worse lighting, textures and models

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, sucram_h said:

And taking so long you forget a lot of vital little nodules  that made Generations work. And how not to appropriate a budget. And level design skills going to an all-time low. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/15/2019 at 6:15 PM, sucram_h said:

Y'know I've been watching an LP of Forces (should be able to play it myself soon) and I don't really see how graphically it's that bad. Like I think I can understand the hate for the restof the game but visually I don't think it looks that bad.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't find the "social media latest exploits" so I'll use this:

What do you think? More clues? The clock indicated 1.25 in Summer drawing, and now it's 1.00, it's pretty obvious that since November is for game releases, that next November might have a new major title. Considering Knuckles is playing Mania, and the Whole drawing is classic oriented, with several new titles in the book shelf like Forces, Mania, TSR, that it indicates a new classic or Mania 2 with Amy Rose probably, I would welcome that. Oh, and Cheese lurks in "Creme de la Cream" as a Cream the Rabbit joke, but still, it's meaningful considering Chao are seen frequently these days in social media posts, probably hints at the return of Chao Garden at least, and something Adventure related at most.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Sean said:

It's just a drawing.

Yeah, I prefer the times when the Twitter is “Sonic Channel USA” with well-done, reasonable artwork like that, as opposed to just meme central. Interesting to see a chap in what is otherwise a classic drawing. Pretty certain the next Sonic will have a Switch version in some form. 

16 hours ago, Tornado said:

Those pumpkins are orange.

STICKS IS IN THE NEXT GAME.

You are doing that just to make me go dream, aren't you? :P

It' not just a drawing, it's the same season style drawing from summer, but with a different time in the clock, I notice details, the community noticed it, not just me, plus is it really hard to think it means something? After the numbers hinting at dates, after them making a whole section of the SXSW panel explaining the clues, after the fact that Aaron Webber explicitly said all the classic drawings released were a hint to Mania, I'm sure this is something to. It's definitely not different from what social media did in the past.

• Too Many Rings 1

I don't know if that picture is an hint for real or what, but I find it odd to see a chao for the first time (second if we count the summer artwork, the black market chao was there in the background) in a classic styled artwork.

Does this mean that the classic design of the chao looks exactly identical to their modern design? Or simply they didn't care of the art style and just put chao in the picture without thinking too much?

Also, there was a series of games where the main characters were Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Cream... If this is an hint, I hope it's somehow connected to that... (an Advance equivalent of "Mania" with better level design? Maybe it will never happen but I hope that's what they are hinting to, if they are... I would die for an "Advance 4" developed with more effort, as long as it's not rehashing old content).