Jump to content
Miragnarok

Next Main Game is 30th Anniversary Title, Drop Dash News

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Jango said:

Well... developing the graphic engine is part of the production, if they so intended to use it on Forces... just saying. Was it used on Team Sonic Racing, tho'? I guess not, that's Sumo's game.

Working on the engine is usually done with more foresight than just for one game. Working on the Hedgehog 2 engine is not in any way equivalent to working on Forces in full production for 2 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

Yeah if I recall correctly, some of the staff went to work on Mario games, I think galaxy 2. Have to verify but it definitely happened.

Galaxy 2?

You said it was Generations' staff, Galaxy 2 came out in 2010. Did they leave during the end of Generations' development?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I don't even know why Sonic Team invested so much time in the HE2, when Forces is nowhere neeeeeeeeeeear as fast as Unleashed or Generations. It made sense creating that engine back in 2008 because it was designed especially to render GI as fast as Sonic moves. But nowadays? Pretty damn sure UE4 can handle it. I mean c'mon, it sounds more like an excuse to postpone the game than an actual reason. I mean c'mon. What's so different from HE to HE2? Water reflection in puddles? Give me a fucking break, Sonic Team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Miragnarok said:

When you realize the last time Shadow was in-character was in a livestream takeover of all things (not even in IDW nor Overdrive), it’s getting really sad to think of what happened to the writing. 

Oh really now?

49 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

Yeah if I recall correctly, some of the staff went to work on Mario games, I think galaxy 2. Have to verify but it definitely happened.

Wait...

Image result for sonic lost worldImage result for mario galaxy 2 wiki

Ratzenberger!

45 minutes ago, Jango said:

Wait, I recall reading on this very forum that Sonic Team took 2 years to develop the Hedgehog Engine 2, which was used in the game, while the game itself only started in mid 2016.

That's what I heard reported as well.

It was somewhere in the Upcoming Games thread, iirc.

44 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I think that's very possible, but everyone at the moment are making out it was in production for 4 years. It's maddening.

I think they mean that there was 4 years since Generations leading up to it finally coming out, but it's not unbelievable for that to get overgeneralized.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Galaxy 2?

You said it was Generations' staff, Galaxy 2 came out in 2010. Did they leave during the end of Generations' development?

I'm getting something wrong here. I do know for a fact that some sonic team people left for Nintendo around that time. Think I may have gotten the project wrong. Have to check again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

When you realize the last time Shadow was in-character was in a livestream takeover of all things (not even in IDW nor Overdrive), it’s getting really sad to think of what happened to the writing. 

Not a fan of the comic eh?

Also I thought despite not being able to talk he acted like shadow in overdrive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

When you realize the last time Shadow was in-character was in a livestream takeover of all things (not even in IDW nor Overdrive), it’s getting really sad to think of what happened to the writing. 

Really? I listened very briefly to Take-over but he sounded more like a parody version of himself (something about eating raw coffee?). For starters I can't imagine real Shadow attending lifestram like that, at least not as enthusiastically.

To me he's fine in IDW Overdrive and even Forces wasn't that bad. I don't like role he's given in IDW (as twice in a row he shows up to kick some butt, only to ""be in wrong"" and fail),  but character-wise? I don't see it.

I only can't stand him when he's jackass that can't shut up about how better he is than everyone else (Rise of Lyric, Team Racing, Free Riders)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:


Same with Shadow's utilization in modern games. I love to see him....When the writers/ game designers have sat down and carefully thought about what he is and why he should be in their game. And not as shiny object to get drooling Adventure fans stumbling in.
Heck, are there any genuine Shadow fans left? He's so pointless and lost all the charm and value the character used to have.
He seems to be written so only people who hate the character can get some visceral ironic enjoyment out of his appearences. But they don't make him ridiculous enough for That.
But hey, as they say, lie often enough and the lie becomes truth.
Keep the Sonic characters out of character for enough games and their new improved personalities subplants the old!
Too bad all their changes are too inconsistent and the stories they're in too bland and boring for any of this to make an impact.

 

I think you are touching on a point, but I this is actually highly inaccurate for a few reasons. To put it simply, shadow hasn't been around long enough recently in non spin off material to make any assertations about what his personality except once.. where's he's written in character. To look at a list of mainline things he's been in in the past since friends came back.

  • Generations
  • Forces

That's it actually. In generations you are fighting a previous version of him, and then he pops up later. He doesn't do anything but neither does everyone else , the focus is supposed to be on sonic. And while I think that sucks, I get that. And in my personal generations there would have been multiple playable dudes, that game is very clearly rushed to the finish and i'm surprised its as good as it is honestly.

And then there's forces where in the DLC... he's written super in character...infact he's actually the most " In character " he's ever been if that makes sense? He's a combination of SA2 shadow and SA6 they combined both sides of the spectrum into a pretty reasonable version of the character. He isn't around much but shadow's making goddamn jokes in that game. I would make the argument that rouge and everyone else isn't in character in the main the story but no one will argue with me about that and we talked about forces death.

But that's two games.. the rest are just spin off material. The racing games? Boom, an alt universe spin off that Sonic Team themselves didn't like. The cellphone game? The lego game? I'm not expecting any of the characters to be super in character in spin off stuff because generally its just loose storythreads to justify what they are doing. I have some issues, like say rouge acting like she doesn't know shadow and shadow doesn't seem to talk to his team anymore in TSR. But generally its spin off material. ( and for whatever reason all the characters were surprisingly in character in that cellphone game before it got shut down ).

Now does that mean that shadow isn't a draw for adventure era fans? He is . But I feel like unlike other character's he's largely dodged changes in characterizations because a lot of people like him and like him a specific way. This doesn't excuse general writing and characterization issues though, the rest of the characters primarily Tails , Knuckles, Sonic and Amy have been hit by sledge hammer in terms of characterization. Though I guess with amy  its the opposite.

Its why I feel shadow at least for right now ( it could change they could just make shadow seto kaiba in the next game for all I know )is  ok . Knuckles is in a situation where the seems to be a large portion of his fanbase who likes him purely being a dumb silly idiot and has reverence for him being cool ever. Whether it be newer ones or older ones who don't really care there's a sizable portion who like that. Same with tails where there has always been a sizable amount of his fanbase who just want to be cute and do nothing but be a side kick. Yeah there are some folks who go " Sonic boom shadow was in character what are you made about I like him " but its far in large the minority and those folks get shouted down.

I'm rambling now, but I do think you hit on a point. Which is I don't think the question is " Are there true shadow fans " there are as with the rest of the characters. The question is " Are there fans of the adventure era and its characters that care?" And that's the issue not for us, but for sega. Sega's abuse of nostalgia as you and many of us had made it abundantly clear has kinda worn off, not just due to over use. But lack of quality and broken promises. And I think for many , Sonic mania's existence made it worse. By being good and the exact thing that people wanted. And this is a problem I feel sega has to deal with now, and the fan base by association in some respects.

To start with an antidote , I have a friend who wants an adventure mania he hasn't interacted with sonic in years, but he wants a new adventure type thing. He used to occasionally buy sonic games in hopes that something might tickle his fancy and give him what he desires. After mania he wants something a lot more specific to put it in his words " They got what they want , Now I want the game that I want " , sega has to deal with this now. That people may not , and possibly have already begun stopping engaging with the material untill they get the thing that they want. The issue for sega, sonic team and for us in terms of discussion and the sonic media we may consume in the near future. A modern sonic adventure type game would be expensive and they don't want that sort of money. So instead of doing so ( untill it gets so bad they say fuck it ) there will be even more vapid sort of emotionless appeals to nostalgia because now that fans are getting what they want, not just from them but from other places,  through remakes and indie teams picking up the slack for other genre's they are going to actually have to try and do things. Hopefully that ends with a bigger budget game that goes places, but befoe we get to that point , much to you and many other's dismay we have a lot of nostalgia pandering that we are gonna have to get through .

I really hope you like shadow , silver and blaze. We might be seeing them a lot.

4 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Really? I listened very briefly to Take-over but he sounded more like a parody version of himself (something about eating raw coffee?). For starters I can't imagine real Shadow attending lifestram like that, at least not as enthusiastically.

While somethings are very OOC and parody , there are actually quite a few answers that are weirdly in character and canon. To the degree in which aaron might wanna give writing the series a shot.

An example being , when asked about what he does with his extra rings. Shadow's response is " I donate them to charity " . Which ... seems like some shit shadow would do . When there was a question about how to deal with overcoming failure he had this whole speach about how much shit he's been through and that didn't stop him so nothing can.

Now understandably this is interspersed between statements about him opening up a cat orphanage and putting a bunch of cheese on his chilidog to spite sonic, but it was honestly strange to see this amount of respect given to shadow in what was essentially, joke time.

4 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

To me he's fine in IDW Overdrive and even Forces wasn't that bad. I don't like role he's given in IDW (as twice in a row he shows up to kick some butt, only to ""be in wrong"" and fail),  but character-wise? I don't see it.

I agree that ian's use for him isn't great.

4 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I only can't stand him when he's jackass that can't shut up about how better he is than everyone else (Rise of Lyric, Team Racing, Free Riders)

I think that's  a lot of folks's issue but those are spin off games in regular material... he's fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Also I thought despite not being able to talk he acted like shadow in overdrive

Was weird he ignored Rouge and Omega when they were in distress. They're playing up the "He's not a team player" bit a little much.
And it makes Shadow stupid and unfocused on the job, as he seems to completely forget that winning the race requires you to get the most points....with the entire team. If Rouge and Omega can't finish at all, he's severly crippling his victory chances. So even on a "He's entirely consumed by his mission" level, he's off.
If anything, I was expecting that to be the entire punchline of the cartoon. That Shadow DID cross the finish line in first place, but then lose anyway as Tails and Knuckles gave Sonic the extra points needed to rise over Shadow's victory and Omega and Rouge unable to get any points at all.
Heck, it's what inspired me to put that entire scenerio in my TSR parody.

Still, Overdrive's joke with Shadow was funny regardless, and being more on a zany Looney Tunes cartoon level I'm fine with it. I'm willing to forgive a lot if you're at least funny or compotent on some other level.
As for Shadow's charazterization in Forces.... I suppose I am way too harsh over it and mostly bitter about him being utterly pointless in the main campaign.
Besides that, I do wish they showcased a more adult mellow Shadow who's contuiing growing toward valueing teamwork and focusing on his desire to better the world.
It's those qualities that set Canon Shadow apart from the parody angry megolmaniac version. They do little to showcase the heart he has gained since Shadow and 06.Really want to see him interact more with Rouge, even if only on pure business terms.

So I suppose Forces Shadow wasn't Wrong, as much that it didn't showcase any of his qualities that sets him apart from Parody!Shadow, and I desperatly wanted to see those qualities after he's been stuck in parody, brainwashed, out of time or evil clone status for nearly a decade.

And disagreed that Team Sonic racing is disqualified for character showcasing for being "a spinoff".
The developers proudly stated in interviews this is canon to the games. Granted, that means very little these days, but still. TSR Shadow is fully approved in-canon Shadow as we're supposed to take him.I liked him a bit more in the IDW comics.They do a fantastic job with most characters, and Shadow's alright in it. But alas, those aren't canon, as much as I wish they hired Flynn for the games, if only to punch up the dialogue a little.
 

3 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I really hope you like shadow , silver and blaze. We might be seeing them a lot. 

Not sure if Silver and Blaze are graduated to Shadow and Classic Sonic levels of desirability yet.
Take it with a grain of salt, but I'm under the impression that Sonic fans were vocal for Classic Sonic and Shadow for reasons even beyond (But also including) them just being popular characters.
Classic Sonic represents the full understanding and respect of the Classic games, the gameplay, a genuine attempt to recreating the entire games and their visual philosophy, not just Classic Sonic in and on itself.
A lot of my friends and me who championed for Shadow's returned did so under the assumption Shadow would bring a certain style of storytelling and attitude along with him.

Silver and Blaze don't resemble any deeper philosphy beyond the characters themselves, (Unless someone wants Silver's telekinises gameplay back?) .And now that we had our painful lessons that the return of these characters doesn't garantee they come included with their full context and values, I'm sure most of us are a lot less motivated to rally for their return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Was weird he ignored Rouge and Omega when they were in distress. They're playing up the "He's not a team player" bit a little much.
And it makes Shadow stupid and unfocused on the job, as he seems to completely forget that winning the race requires you to get the most points....with the entire team. If Rouge and Omega can't finish at all, he's severly crippling his victory chances. So even on a "He's entirely consumed by his mission" level, he's off.
If anything, I was expecting that to be the entire punchline of the cartoon. That Shadow DID cross the finish line in first place, but then lose anyway as Tails and Knuckles gave Sonic the extra points needed to rise over Shadow's victory and Omega and Rouge unable to get any points at all.
Heck, it's what inspired me to put that entire scenerio in my TSR parody.

I would make the argument that's him in character 100% . Shadow's my favorite character.

One of his strongest straits is that he has the strength and resolve to go do stuff by himself because its the right thing to do and will take it upon himself to bare the brunt of the blame or pain that comes with it .

One of his worst traits is that same thing because he is on occasion a cocky asshole.  Shadow 100% would be like " I'll win this race myself" that's him, all day. And then would fuck up and be like " Oh you didn't win you couldn't beat me by yourselves " Shadow is the guy who doesn't like playing multiplayer shooters because he has to rely on other people. That trait plays both ways and I think it was fine.

I don't know if I said this here, but you know how sonic is loosley based on Former President Bill clinton. I would 100% believe they based shadow on Micheal Jordan, dude was a ball hog and would tell you to pass the ball to him so he could win the game for you. ( and his shoes look like jordan 1's )

21 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Still, Overdrive's joke with Shadow was funny regardless, and being more on a zany Looney Tunes cartoon level I'm fine with it. I'm willing to forgive a lot if you're at least funny or compotent on some other level.
As for Shadow's charazterization in Forces.... I suppose I am way too harsh over it and mostly bitter about him being utterly pointless in the main campaign.
Besides that, I do wish they showcased a more adult mellow Shadow who's contuiing growing toward valueing teamwork and focusing on his desire to better the world.
It's those qualities that set Canon Shadow apart from the parody angry megolmaniac version. They do little to showcase the heart he has gained since Shadow and 06.Really want to see him interact more with Rouge, even if only on pure business terms.

Oh don't worry i'm upset with you about everyone being useless, but I can only be so mad if that makes sense? That game is just kind of a mess, everyone's useless... even sonic for the most part. Its a story vehicle to make infinite look cool, and no one gets to do or say anything that doesn't revovle around fighting infinite or eggman's troops. Infinite is poochy.

I do hope in the next game, we do get shadow and other characters doing things and we get to see that chill growth.

21 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:



So I suppose Forces Shadow wasn't Wrong, as much that it didn't showcase any of his qualities that sets him apart from Parody!Shadow, and I desperatly wanted to see those qualities after he's been stuck in parody, brainwashed, out of time or evil clone status for nearly a decade.

I feel you

21 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:



And disagreed that Team Sonic racing is disqualified for character showcasing for being "a spinoff".
The developers proudly stated in interviews this is canon to the games. Granted, that means very little these days, but still. TSR Shadow is fully approved in-canon Shadow as we're supposed to take him.I liked him a bit more in the IDW comics.They do a fantastic job with most characters, and Shadow's alright in it. But alas, those aren't canon, as much as I wish they hired Flynn for the games, if only to punch up the dialogue a little.

I don't think that means much,  like I technically think the riders games are canon and shadow was an ass in one of those too. When I say " canon " i don't mean a timeline what I mean is how they choose to present that character, the " canon " of the character.  And don't think any of that game is gonna carry over really, not to take anything away from the the game. I just don't think it's gonna be much more than a fun kart racer, but I could be wrong. Oh yeah and dodonpa , that's about it.

I do like everyone in the IDW comics, especially amy. Infact amy is just generally better when not written by sonic team.

21 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:


 

Not sure if Silver and Blaze are graduated to Shadow and Classic Sonic levels of desirability yet.
Take it with a grain of salt, but I'm under the impression that Sonic fans were vocal for Classic Sonic and Shadow for reasons even beyond (But also including) them just being popular characters.
Classic Sonic represents the full understanding and respect of the Classic games, the gameplay, a genuine attempt to recreating the entire games and their visual philosophy, not just Classic Sonic in and on itself.
A lot of my friends and me who championed for Shadow's returned did so under the assumption Shadow would bring a certain style of storytelling and attitude along with him.

Silver and Blaze don't resemble any deeper philosphy beyond the characters themselves, (Unless someone wants Silver's telekinises gameplay back?) .And now that we had our painful lessons that the return of these characters doesn't garantee they come included with their full context and values, I'm sure most of us are a lot less motivated to rally for their return.

I don't think they have graduated , but folks like em and its been long enough in which new fans of these characters have no connection to 06 whatsoever besides memes and they can basically remold those characters. They have been doing it to silver recently and that's what I think is gonna happen. So there presence is gonna appease their fans but they will be made into different characters to varying degrees.

Silvers toys are really popular with young boys and sell out, I figure sega wants to capitalize on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

And I think for many , Sonic mania's existence made it worse. By being good and the exact thing that people wanted. And this is a problem I feel sega has to deal with now, and the fan base by association in some respects.

Mania's success does create problems for the next major Sonic game because it is arguably the most positively received game in modern times, and it is 2D.

There are some Sonic fans who enjoy 2D and 3D Sonic, but these are very different game genres. A lot of fans tend to prefer one over the other. And, most of the time, they get upset when SEGA mixes themes in those genres. Even Sonic Generations, though it was received well, has many fans who would've loved to focus on the 2D gameplay or the 3D gameplay instead of both.

Mania was a win for 2D fans. It had the gameplay they asked for, with nary a 3D element in sight.

This next part is important: it is impossible for SEGA to look at Sonic Mania as inspiration for success in a major, 3D Sonic game. The 3D fans should be scared snotless at the idea of SEGA using Mania as an overall framework.

Because that means they don't understand why Sonic Mania succeeded. They don't understand that Sonic Mania has zero appeal to 3D fans, and 3D fans don't want to run through fancy-graphic 2D sections of Chemical Plant Zone while calling it their new game.

EDIT: I say this as a 2D classic fan who raged at the homing attack being a mainstay of Sonic 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

even Forces wasn't that bad.

Eh, Forces was kinda the start, but I suppose it was also more a Sparknotes thing.

5 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

. I don't like role he's given in IDW (as twice in a row he shows up to kick some butt, only to ""be in wrong"" and fail),  but character-wise? I don't see it.

Twice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StaticMania said:

This isn't a problem.

Well, not for ME. I'll be perfectly happy if SEGA determines the only successful games they can make are 2D titles by the Taxman people.

But it's not a great omen for fans hoping to retaste Adventure days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

This isn't a problem.

Exactly. But we don't know how SEGA and Sonic Team will react / are reacting to this. They're hyper shallow when it comes to reading feedback. They may think that the only reason why Sonic Mania successed was because it was 2D. No! It's because is a well fucking made game, by a team that understood what made the 2D gameplay and level design so fun and appealing back in the 90's, topped with a superb presentation, great marketing campaign and references that are basically a love letter to the classic era. 

Now look at Classic Sonic in Forces. He is there because Generations was well received, but Sonic Team missed the point completely. The physics are dodgy, the level design is riddiculous, even the goddamn music is bad. Classic Sonic in Forces is not half the man he used to be. 

Sonic Colors was well received = Wisps in every game. That's how Sonic Team's head functions as far as I'm concerned. 

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic Team tried to do a Sonic Mania 2 all by themselves and completely ruin it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:


Silver and Blaze don't resemble any deeper philosphy beyond the characters themselves, (Unless someone wants Silver's telekinises gameplay back?) .And now that we had our painful lessons that the return of these characters doesn't garantee they come included with their full context and values, I'm sure most of us are a lot less motivated to rally for their return.

While that is comparatively true, whoever wrote TSR clearly loved Silver and Blaze as characters.

28 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

2D Adventure.

La la x3

A New Venture!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Twice?

"Time to kill Eggman, because I'm a gritty anti-hero. Ow wait, Sonic, Chaotix and even my best friend Rouge act against me. I guess I was wrong and I'll back down. I wonder if I'll get "I told you so" moment later? Eh, either way I failed"

"Time to go against Metal, because I'm a loose canon, that doesn't play well if the others, but gets results. Except whoops, apparently that's what Metal wanted. I messed up and I'll have zero contribution from this point on. I won't even punch wings like everyone else."

I wan't to stress that none of those scenarios are bad in concept. It's the FREQUENCY that concerns me. Flynn has tendency to use Shadow as Worf (beaten by Scourge, Adam, Enerjack and Super Scourge). He's suppose to be this fan-favorite badass, but beating Black Death in "Shadowfall" was basically his only big victory he accomplished on his own through whole Flynn's career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

While somethings are very OOC and parody , there are actually quite a few answers that are weirdly in character and canon. To the degree in which aaron might wanna give writing the series a shot.

An example being , when asked about what he does with his extra rings. Shadow's response is " I donate them to charity " . Which ... seems like some shit shadow would do . When there was a question about how to deal with overcoming failure he had this whole speach about how much shit he's been through and that didn't stop him so nothing can.

Now understandably this is interspersed between statements about him opening up a cat orphanage and putting a bunch of cheese on his chilidog to spite sonic, but it was honestly strange to see this amount of respect given to shadow in what was essentially, joke time.

The charity thing sounds nothing like Shadow. Sounds more like something fanfic writers would think up.

The cheese on a chili dog thing isn't completely in character, but I'd say it's more so than the charity thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

"Time to kill Eggman, because I'm a gritty anti-hero. Ow wait, Sonic, Chaotix and even my best friend Rouge act against me. I guess I was wrong and I'll back down. I wonder if I'll get "I told you so" moment later? Eh, either way I failed"

"Time to go against Metal, because I'm a loose canon, that doesn't play well if the others, but gets results. Except whoops, apparently that's what Metal wanted. I messed up and I'll have zero contribution from this point on. I won't even punch wings like everyone else."

Oh yeah, I honestly forgot about him past Chaos Spearing Neo Metal.

 

2 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

 

I wan't to stress that none of those scenarios are bad in concept. It's the FREQUENCY that concerns me. Flynn has tendency to use Shadow as Worf (beaten by Scourge, Adam, Enerjack and Super Scourge). He's suppose to be this fan-favorite badass, but beating Black Death in "Shadowfall" was basically his only big victory he accomplished on his own through whole Flynn's career.

Plus managing to overpower Eclipse's Transformation the second go round.

But yeah, Shadow and to a certain extent Blaze inherently came with the problem of being both overpowered and overhyped, which required the comic(and sometimes the games) to keep them sequestered from everyone else or else be Worfed for the sake of the story.

Silver is at least fallible and less revered with a simple enough power that he generally avoids that hangup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Marcello said:

The charity thing sounds nothing like Shadow. Sounds more like something fanfic writers would think up.

The cheese on a chili dog thing isn't completely in character, but I'd say it's more so than the charity thing.

Homie grew up or ... existed rather as a living weapon both of his fathers want to use him as a means to a destructive end, a reformed shadow doing the exact opposite and not having any real meaning for cash and giving it to people much like him or maria in situations of with bad parents or poor health and him giving to charities to help people.

Edgy Characters showing emotion or doing occasionally un edgy things insn't things fanfictions would eat up, its growth and character development. This makes sense 

48 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

"Time to kill Eggman, because I'm a gritty anti-hero. Ow wait, Sonic, Chaotix and even my best friend Rouge act against me. I guess I was wrong and I'll back down. I wonder if I'll get "I told you so" moment later? Eh, either way I failed"

"Time to go against Metal, because I'm a loose canon, that doesn't play well if the others, but gets results. Except whoops, apparently that's what Metal wanted. I messed up and I'll have zero contribution from this point on. I won't even punch wings like everyone else."

I wan't to stress that none of those scenarios are bad in concept. It's the FREQUENCY that concerns me. Flynn has tendency to use Shadow as Worf (beaten by Scourge, Adam, Enerjack and Super Scourge). He's suppose to be this fan-favorite badass, but beating Black Death in "Shadowfall" was basically his only big victory he accomplished on his own through whole Flynn's career.

I agree that this is an issue.  Though If you have an issue, why not voice concern. He gotta twitter and a patreon. You could tell him you feel like shadow is underutilized under his pen.

Edit:To elaborate , I think the issue is for the most part the book isn't about shadow and when the book isn't about shadow he doesn't want to/doesn't understand how to include shadow. Even in IDW shadow's first appearance doesn't even fit, you can remove that story it functions the same. Whether you think he hates him and doesn't want to include him. ( Some folks think this after worlds unite ) or you think that he doesn't know how to write him, that's up to you. But clearly there is an issue with him writing shadow into stories where shadow isn't the main guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Really? I listened very briefly to Take-over but he sounded more like a parody version of himself (something about eating raw coffee?). For starters I can't imagine real Shadow attending lifestram like that, at least not as enthusiastically.

To me he's fine in IDW Overdrive and even Forces wasn't that bad. I don't like role he's given in IDW (as twice in a row he shows up to kick some butt, only to ""be in wrong"" and fail),  but character-wise? I don't see it.

I only can't stand him when he's jackass that can't shut up about how better he is than everyone else (Rise of Lyric, Team Racing, Free Riders)

Shadow also mentioned that he donated to good causes, the most in-character thing he's done since the Super Genesis Wave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't say Shadow doesn't have any empathy or never shows emotion. I said him going around donating to charity doesn't sound like him. It's too much "Asshole is secretly super nice and sweet". And I'm also not saying he can't ever be nice. The charity thing is just too nice for Shadow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.