Awoo.

Next Main Game is 30th Anniversary Title, Drop Dash News

Multikaris

Well, what else is he going to do with money? Sonic characters have never shown a need to make money in the first place, and Shadow in particular is a presumed-immortal super-being; there's little reason to think he'd need to save for the future. And while he's no saint, greed's never really been one of his flaws. By the end of ShtH he's unambiguously a good guy, willing to work and sacrifice to protect the innocent, so I can't see any reason he wouldn't want to help in that way.

If it feels out of place, it's not really because it doesn't fit Shadow, but because it doesn't fit the focus of the series. Rarely is there a problem in the series not solved either through justified violence or shonen-esque themes of friendship and believing in yourself, and "evil" is inevitably embodied in some specific being that needs to be defeated or converted, rather than being built into everyday society and requiring systematic change. For a character (especially one so far into the supernatural/fantastic end of things) to talk about something as mundane as giving to charity brings attention to the parts of life that the series really isn't equipped to discuss.

• Thumbs Up 6

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Well, what else is he going to do with money? Sonic characters have never shown a need to make money in the first place,

Except for the Chaotix needing to pay rent for their office, but otherwise yes.

• Chuckle 1

57 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I didn't say Shadow doesn't have any empathy or never shows emotion. I said him going around donating to charity doesn't sound like him. It's too much "Asshole is secretly super nice and sweet". 

You're right. Shadow would never hide his niceness.

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

I agree that this is an issue.  Though If you have an issue, why not voice concern. He gotta twitter and a patreon. You could tell him you feel like shadow is underutilized under his pen.

Because I imagine poor guys gets 5 complains a day and he doesn't need more. I strongly believe in "let writers make a good story, rather that force them to include thing YOU want" policy. It seems Shadow will appear one more time in this year, we'll see if third time's the charm.

(That and I simply don't have twiter. I have already too many time-sinks in my life too get into social media.)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Because I imagine poor guys gets 5 complains a day and he doesn't need more. I strongly believe in "let writers make a good story, rather that force them to include thing YOU want" policy. It seems Shadow will appear one more time in this year, we'll see if third time's the charm.

(That and I simply don't have twiter. I have already too many time-sinks in my life too get into social media.)

I mean you aren't forcing him, just voicing an opinion. I give professional folks my opinion all the time, be respectful and no harm done. I occasionally get free swag out of it. And don't bother folks all the time.

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

Well, what else is he going to do with money?

Buy vehicles?  That's all I can think of, he like to drive.

1 hour ago, Razule said:

You're right. Shadow would never hide his niceness.

The kick shadow delivered to silver was a kindness kick

Pretty happen with how Vanilla and Cream are portrayed and drawn here so far. I like that Cream being asked to stand back is a lot more reasonable here than in the post-reboot. Also nice to see Choccolo back. Wonder if Ian will bring Milk from Colors DS.

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

Pretty happen with how Vanilla and Cream are portrayed and drawn here so far. I like that Cream being asked to stand back is a lot more reasonable here than in the post-reboot. Also nice to see Choccolo back. Wonder if Ian will bring Milk from Colors DS.

Uh, I think you clicked the wrong thread, Fred.

2 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Well, what else is he going to do with money? Sonic characters have never shown a need to make money in the first place, and Shadow in particular is a presumed-immortal super-being; there's little reason to think he'd need to save for the future. And while he's no saint, greed's never really been one of his flaws. By the end of ShtH he's unambiguously a good guy, willing to work and sacrifice to protect the innocent, so I can't see any reason he wouldn't want to help in that way.

If it feels out of place, it's not really because it doesn't fit Shadow, but because it doesn't fit the focus of the series. Rarely is there a problem in the series not solved either through justified violence or shonen-esque themes of friendship and believing in yourself, and "evil" is inevitably embodied in some specific being that needs to be defeated or converted, rather than being built into everyday society and requiring systematic change. For a character (especially one so far into the supernatural/fantastic end of things) to talk about something as mundane as giving to charity brings attention to the parts of life that the series really isn't equipped to discuss.

Exactly, his kind donations are more in-character than anything he pulled in Boom.

6 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Exactly, his kind donations are more in-character than anything he pulled in Boom.

Boom technically has different versions of the characters to begin with due to being an alternative series.

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

The kick shadow delivered to silver was a kindness kick

And then he kindly helped him see the truth instead of knocking him out and leaving.

To connect this background to a future sonic game. Shadow's game had some creative levels, aesthetically at least. I feel as though at least in my mind the last couple sonic games in terms of level design have been mostly meh. I would like more creative level design

• Thumbs Up 2

One thing I did appreciate (and appreciate even more today) about Shadow's levels was how big they were. As well as how many of them were in the game. I don't think they used that space to the best of their ability but they tried at least.

I also still believe that the way Shadow the Hedgehog handled the extended cast was the best way to do it concerning a game where you're only playing as one character. Just having your one controlled character head around the world and thrust himself into situations that are being occupied by a random Sonic character on their own personal mission did a whole lot to make it feel like everyone was in a mad scramble to do something important. It also helped it feel way more chaotic, which is something I prefer to just seeing all the characters huddled together in the same room, looking at a big TV screen.

I have a tiny bit more hope that something like that might still be possible for the current Sonic Team to pull off again but only slightly. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

One thing I did appreciate (and appreciate even more today) about Shadow's levels was how big they were. As well as how many of them were in the game. I don't think they used that space to the best of their ability but they tried at least.

I also still believe that the way Shadow the Hedgehog handled the extended cast was the best way to do it concerning a game where you're only playing as one character. Just having your one controlled character head around the world and thrust himself into situations that are being occupied by a random Sonic character on their own personal mission did a whole lot to make it feel like everyone was in a mad scramble to do something important. It also helped it feel way more chaotic, which is something I prefer to just seeing all the characters huddled together in the same room, looking at a big TV screen.

I have a tiny bit more hope that something like that might still be possible for the current Sonic Team to pull off again but only slightly. 

You're making me wanna take back my PS2 even more. 

12 hours ago, Diogenes said:

If it feels out of place, it's not really because it doesn't fit Shadow, but because it doesn't fit the focus of the series. Rarely is there a problem in the series not solved either through justified violence or shonen-esque themes of friendship and believing in yourself, and "evil" is inevitably embodied in some specific being that needs to be defeated or converted, rather than being built into everyday society and requiring systematic change.

The one time this wasn't the case was G.U.N. in Sonic Adventure 2, which was just a military-police organization in pseudo-America abusing its powers. So what did the next game with them in it do? Invent The Commander, the cartoonish head of G.U.N. who operates on a nonsensical grudge held since childhood. Once he is no longer part of the picture, G.U.N. apparently became a fine enough organization that Shadow feels comfortable joining it as an operative in order to help the world. And so the dark, "mature" Shadow game manages to undo one of the actually subversive messages of the prior game.

5 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Shadow's game had some creative levels, aesthetically at least.

It's hard to have unique esthetics when you recycle old levels on everything post-Colors.

Don't drink anything now, because you're about to spill it; can you guess which Sonic games in 2010s was most creative level-aesthetic-wise?

4th-Emerald-damned Fire & Ice.

It got tarpits, gothic gardens and even pirate town with cute Eggman-shape building

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

6 hours ago, Legendary Emerald said:

The one time this wasn't the case was G.U.N. in Sonic Adventure 2, which was just a military-police organization in pseudo-America abusing its powers. So what did the next game with them in it do? Invent The Commander, the cartoonish head of G.U.N. who operates on a nonsensical grudge held since childhood. Once he is no longer part of the picture, G.U.N. apparently became a fine enough organization that Shadow feels comfortable joining it as an operative in order to help the world. And so the dark, "mature" Shadow game manages to undo one of the actually subversive messages of the prior game.

To be fair, GUN was seemingly under orders responding to incidents and eventually a notion that Professor Gerald's research team were up to some very dangerous and possibly treasonous stuff. The fact that his own sickly granddaughter ended up getting killed essentially trying to smuggle one of his creations probably swayed a good bit of contention at the time and beyond.

The implication is that Commander Tower may have joined and eventually took command of GUN once he was old enough in order to do something about whatever caused it to be that way and make sure nothing like that ever happens again. Depending on when that happened, he may or may not have been involved in the arrest of Sonic and/or especially the failed attempts to keep Shadow from helping Eggman conquer the planet with his grandfather's old stuff.

But he was likely in control beyond that game since Shadow's willingness to answer for whatever the Professor may have done through him and [eventual] saving of the planet against Black Doom, to say nothing of the Chaotix unearthing evidence that Gerald was still trying to help the world before GUN intervened caused him to rethink everything and act in accordance with the President's suggestion that they fix everything. You know, unless that granddaughter I heard about further convinced him to retire down to road. 

13 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Shadow karate chopped a computer and a portal to a world inside the internet manifested itself before him. 

Truly, the work of the Ultimate Life-form knows no bounds.

Shame he became a GUN agent afterward, I'm sure he would have a great career with that ability otherwise.
Vector: Hey Shadow, can you do that virtual reality karate chop again? I got this website of sexy lady crocodiles and uh, y'know, for research.

Yeah, Sonic Boom fire and Ice had some great looking levels.
Despite being kinda out of place for a Sonic game (especially as one of the final levels) I loved the Disney castle theme too.
Only  gripe I had with that game's level themes is that there were too many jungle/ forest/ marsh/ green levels. Really needed a city level or something to shake it up a little.
But I guess the Sonic Boom universe just doesn't have any cities beyond ancient ruins from the past.

I like to think that the commander got in charge of GUN after Adventure 2, that Shadow resurfacing suddenly gave him a motivation boost to climb up the ranks.
Just a lowly janitor until he spots Shadow, all his youth trauma's come boiling up and he's all "THAT BLACK HEDGEHOG! A*(#$*(#%&*(@#$*"
Then Dr. Eggman causes a convienent explosion on Prison island, blowing up some staff members and the Commander has a nice power vacuum to work with. Presto.

17 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Boom technically has different versions of the characters to begin with due to being an alternative series.

Technically, yeah. But considering the only context that Boom ever gave to Shadow was "he's that popular guy from the other games', LITTERALY.
So we're still invited to mentally project Canon!Shadow onto Boom!Shadow. It's not like Boom does much to give their version of Shadow his own identity beyond being thrown punchlines at on the behalf of Canon!Shadow.

I like to imagine a Sonic boom version of Adventure 2 happened in some capacity. Just replace all the violent GUN soldiers and tragic doomed scientists with the typical kind of zany Sonic Boom inhabitants for extra horror/ awkwardness/ hilarity, depending on your sense of humor.
Pfft, maybe if I ever make a 4th Sonic Boom rogerified episode I should just adapt Sonic adventure 2's story to take place in the Sonic Boom universe. Mayor Fink as the president, one of Percy's twin sisters as Maria, Morpho/Mombot as Gerald Robotnik, Lyric as Biolizard, etc. See how creepy/ terrifying/ funny that would be.

• Fist Bump 2

32 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Yeah, Sonic Boom fire and Ice had some great looking levels.
Despite being kinda out of place for a Sonic game (especially as one of the final levels) I loved the Disney castle theme too.

There was a Disney Castle level in Sonic Boom? :lol: 

32 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

I like to think that the commander got in charge of GUN after Adventure 2, that Shadow resurfacing suddenly gave him a motivation boost to climb up the ranks.
Just a lowly janitor until he spots Shadow, all his youth trauma's come boiling up and he's all "THAT BLACK HEDGEHOG! A*(#$*(#%&*(@#$*"
Then Dr. Eggman causes a convienent explosion on Prison island, blowing up some staff members and the Commander has a nice power vacuum to work with. Presto.

Actually, yeah, that sounds perfect.

35 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Technically, yeah. But considering the only context that Boom ever gave to Shadow was "he's that popular guy from the other games', LITTERALY.
So we're still invited to mentally project Canon!Shadow onto Boom!Shadow. It's not like Boom does much to give their version of Shadow his own identity beyond being thrown punchlines at on the behalf of Canon!Shadow.

Fair enough.

I know the creators said something about him not being evil so much as having some sort of code, but they obviously never got around to showcasing that.

35 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

I like to imagine a Sonic boom version of Adventure 2 happened in some capacity. Just replace all the violent GUN soldiers and tragic doomed scientists with the typical kind of zany Sonic Boom inhabitants for extra horror/ awkwardness/ hilarity, depending on your sense of humor.
Pfft, maybe if I ever make a 4th Sonic Boom rogerified episode I should just adapt Sonic adventure 2's story to take place in the Sonic Boom universe. Mayor Fink as the president, one of Percy's twin sisters as Maria, Morpho/Mombot as Gerald Robotnik, Lyric as Biolizard, etc. See how creepy/ terrifying/ funny that would be.

Sounds like a hot mess waiting to happen.

There's not enough talk about how Shadow and Rouge being cops actually really sucks and makes no sense. 

19 minutes ago, Wraith said:

There's not enough talk about how Shadow and Rouge being cops actually really sucks and makes no sense. 

Wasn't Rouge revealed as a government agent as early as the SA2 ending?

9 minutes ago, Wraith said:

They aren't cops. They don't work for gun, so sayeth the word of god sega.

They aren't even a team really, so sayeth sega.

29 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Technically, they're agents. 

Rouge's skills in contrast to her interests means they can buy her assistance on things, while Shadow  joined as an extra way to help protect the world.

However, the two generally operate on their own for the same reasons.

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

They're less cops and more black ops or whatever.