Awoo.

Next Main Game is 30th Anniversary Title, Drop Dash News

Multikaris

1 hour ago, BaronGrackle said:

Wasn't Rouge revealed as a government agent as early as the SA2 ending?

She was a secret agent.

She didn't work for G.U.N.

She was revealed as an agent in like...her 3rd cutscene in the Dark Side Story as she found Eggman's base.

TBH I wouldn't really blame anyone for thinking that, whether it was their orginal intent or not. In like 06 it seems like they are working with gun. And Sega hasn't taken any actions to stop this besides telling people who work on the franchise who aren't sonic team that this is actually the case. They even gave shadow a GUN vehichle in the last racing game. Clearly according to them, he stole it... which would be a neat reference to his game... but you gotta specify that.

Nowadays they are taking actions against it though, but they are taking the fire and brimstone approach and not only kinda of deleting Shadow's connection to gun, and kinda GUN itself, but also team dark's connection to each other . Which seems like to me going way too hard to fix an issue and ruining something else in the process but that's just the sonic team special at this point

I mean...if you wanna go the justi-fixtion route: You could say that G.U.N. just contacted Rouge 1st because history and after she got captured she requested they contact Shadow.

Or they just keep tabs on her and her teammates, that is also an option.

56 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Or they just keep tabs on her and her teammates, that is also an option.

Essentially. 

Omega clearly doesn't give a shit and yet they have a way to track him down. 

"Drop Dash News" would be a FANTASTIC name for a Sonic or SEGA focused news service.

You all were thinking it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

What I want from the next classic game:

- Higher budget game

- Done by Evening Star (the Mania team)

- A brand new cartoon graphic style, not 3D but not pixel either

- 7 big and all-new zones

- Amy and Honey introduced as playable with their own skills.

- Sonic, Tails and Knuckles obviously return as playable

- Animated cutscenes in-game or promotional shorts a la Mania Adventures

- Tons of love and obscure fanservice

- Mighty and Ray playable as DLC 

- An actual Hard Mode as DLC

- 3 different main campaigns, with their own scenes, and different paths in the zones, 1 for Sonic & Tails, 1 for Amy & Honey, 1 for Knuckles

- Playable Angel Island as a full zone for Knuckles's story

- A cool and new soundtrack, with '90s vibes

- All-new bosses, with a bunch of throwback villains like Fang, Bean, Bark, Silver Sonic, Scratch, Grounder, Coconuts, Breezie, Metal Sonic, and Robotnik as final boss.

What do you think of my ideas?

DiC made characters in an official game? That would be a shocker

Scratch and Grounder do have far less of a package attached to them  than the Freedom Fighters and SEGA did adopt stuff like Chilli Dogs and Robotnik as Eggmans real name  and The Swatbots in The Bioware game so its not like Western stuff are banned

Anniversary game concerns me a bit...

-Another game with a silly story such as a birthday party or something?

-More Classic Sonic and old zones reused?

-More 2D gameplay? (well, this would probably happen anyway)

But who knows.

I honestly hope for a game with good physics and controls, good level design with fast paced flow but that doesn't play itself, and some freedom (no more corridors with invisible walls everywhere).

I want to run up walls by running on a slope and using my momentum, not by script... I want to be able to do most of the things that I can do in a 2D Sonic game, but in 3D.

I don't care for a complex story, something like the classics is totally ok for me...

And I'd like to be able to play as the friends again... my dream would be a game with a story mode and an arcade mode: the arcade mode has a roster of characters that you can chose from, that consists in everyone who appeared in Sonic Generations (at the party) + Shadow and Silver (who were bosses bosses) + Big and Omega (they were hidden statues in that game); all of them should be optional and just for fun, without story explanation or anything (kinda like the Dream Friends in Kirby Star Allies, if you know what I'm talking about), while the story mode should be played by Sonic only (or Team Sonic) with the other characters only appearing in the cutscenes. Both arcade mode and story mode would share the same levels and bosses, the dfference is that the story mode is for the story indeed (you can save progresses, select the levels and do other stuff), while the arcade mode is for replayability, you play all the levels consecutively without interruptions up to the final boss and you can get a gameover; mainly for high score/speedrun and for experimenting with all the character's skills (you can't save and it has special stages to get the emeralds, like in the original Sonic 1/2/CD).

I know that all those characters are a bit too many, but it's an anniversary game right? Instead of bringing back old zones, maybe bring back the characters instead, this time...

1 hour ago, Tangled Jack said:

What I want from the next classic game:

*(in spoiler because it's long)*

Spoiler

- Higher budget game

- Done by Evening Star (the Mania team)

- A brand new cartoon graphic style, not 3D but not pixel either

- 7 big and all-new zones

- Amy and Honey introduced as playable with their own skills.

- Sonic, Tails and Knuckles obviously return as playable

- Animated cutscenes in-game or promotional shorts a la Mania Adventures

- Tons of love and obscure fanservice

- Mighty and Ray playable as DLC 

- An actual Hard Mode as DLC

- 3 different main campaigns, with their own scenes, and different paths in the zones, 1 for Sonic & Tails, 1 for Amy & Honey, 1 for Knuckles

- Playable Angel Island as a full zone for Knuckles's story

- A cool and new soundtrack, with '90s vibes

- All-new bosses, with a bunch of throwback villains like Fang, Bean, Bark, Silver Sonic, Scratch, Grounder, Coconuts, Breezie, Metal Sonic, and Robotnik as final boss.

What do you think of my ideas?

I honestly would like it to be classic-styled but not classic anymore. I mean, classic gameplay and aesthetics (more or less), but set in the modern universe.

I admit, it's mostly for the character, I don't want a nonsensical conceptual wall keeping out some of my favorite characters from the game only because they aren't classic.

Also, I'd like to fight Omega as a miniboss/boss in a 2D game, for some reason I think he would be very suited for that role... I don't know how they would justify that story-wise though.

I agree very much about the cartoon style (no 3D, no pixel)... one of the reason why I love the Advance series so much is because of those hand-drawn animations.

47 minutes ago, Iko said:

Anniversary game concerns me a bit...

-Another game with a silly story such as a birthday party or something?

-More Classic Sonic and old zones reused?

-More 2D gameplay? (well, this would probably happen anyway)

But who knows.

I honestly hope for a game with good physics and controls, good level design with fast paced flow but that doesn't play itself, and some freedom (no more corridors with invisible walls everywhere).

I want to run up walls by running on a slope and using my momentum, not by script... I want to be able to do most of the things that I can do in a 2D Sonic game, but in 3D.

I don't care for a complex story, something like the classics is totally ok for me...

And I'd like to be able to play as the friends again... my dream would be a game with a story mode and an arcade mode: the arcade mode has a roster of characters that you can chose from, that consists in everyone who appeared in Sonic Generations (at the party) + Shadow and Silver (who were bosses bosses) + Big and Omega (they were hidden statues in that game); all of them should be optional and just for fun, without story explanation or anything (kinda like the Dream Friends in Kirby Star Allies, if you know what I'm talking about), while the story mode should be played by Sonic only (or Team Sonic) with the other characters only appearing in the cutscenes. Both arcade mode and story mode would share the same levels and bosses, the dfference is that the story mode is for the story indeed (you can save progresses, select the levels and do other stuff), while the arcade mode is for replayability, you play all the levels consecutively without interruptions up to the final boss and you can get a gameover; mainly for high score/speedrun and for experimenting with all the character's skills (you can't save and it has special stages to get the emeralds, like in the original Sonic 1/2/CD).

I know that all those characters are a bit too many, but it's an anniversary game right? Instead of bringing back old zones, maybe bring back the characters instead, this time...

I honestly would like it to be classic-styled but not classic anymore. I mean, classic gameplay and aesthetics (more or less), but set in the modern universe.

I admit, it's mostly for the character, I don't want a nonsensical conceptual wall keeping out some of my favorite characters from the game only because they aren't classic.

Also, I'd like to fight Omega as a miniboss/boss in a 2D game, for some reason I think he would be very suited for that role... I don't know how they would justify that story-wise though.

I agree very much about the cartoon style (no 3D, no pixel)... one of the reason why I love the Advance series so much is because of those hand-drawn animations.

I think there is lots of demand for more Classic stuff tbh, maybe more than Modern, Sega can also capitalize on that as a sub franchise as they wanted to do with Boom. I know you are a fan of the Advance games though. I personally think 3D is more suited for Modern Sonic, and I don't mind the classic setting either.

• 1 month later...

Came across this archived post from June. I know “anonymous 4chan post” isn’t a convincing credential, but haven’t seen it discussed anywhere which led me to believe perhaps not many people have even seen it to dismiss it. If you google “Sonic” “30th Anniversary” “4chan” the link is still there though.

Again, I’m aware it’s likely bull. Apologies if I’m breaking any rules. Not intentional.

Sonic 4chan post.jpg

• Fist Bump 1

Sega getting Insomniac games and Rare to make Sonic games at the same time would be ridiculous. Don't even give stuff like this the time of day. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Too Many Rings 2

Yeah this is all a big steaming pile. 3 games limitedly exclusive to 3 different systems is absolutely ridiculous. 

I could almostbuy Sega trying to cut a deal to get all the music officially in their rights but everything else is so ludicrous it's just so obviously fake. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

Forgot to mention those 2 black bars that need to be hovered over on the actual page, first one mentions an Unleashed port being handled by Sonic Team in Japan, and the second one mentions an announcement of a Sonic Movie sequel and trailer if the first one does well, as Paramount have a 3 picture deal. No idea why those are censored, seems arbitrary.

But yeah, not convincing. I could buy the idea of SEGA having a high profile western studio work on the next mainline game, especially since Sonic Team seemingly doesn’t exist in the way it used to. But yeah, 3 games by 3 studios in one year is a little nuts, unless two of them are smaller scale games or something.

In addition, the in depth description of the little trinkets and collectibles included in those collections sounds waay too specific for it being around 2 years away from release, I don’t think a lot of those finer details would be locked down yet.

4 hours ago, Wraith said:

Sega getting Insomniac games and Rare to make Sonic games at the same time would be ridiculous. Don't even give stuff like this the time of day. 

Also both of those studios are like... busy. Like if this was several years ago you could humor the idea or the premise of it because imnsoniac might not have been making much ad they were providing help to other studios. But over the past few years like they have become a studio to make things for their own in a like a big way.

That isn't even to get started on rare on why that's not posssible

Please, I know it's likely bullshit, I hope so because no more exclusive games. I have both a Switch and a cool PC but, really, a lot of people would miss out the games. No way.

It looks so fake... I mean, Sega did some unexpected questionable decisions in the past, but a massive collection with all those games all bundled together seems unrealistic, especially since Mania Plus seems to be included in it, and the game is still marketable alone.

Also it seems like Colors is missing from the collection... I doubt they would put in all those games but skip Colors... 06 may understand but Colors...

7 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

Please, I know it's likely bullshit, I hope so because no more exclusive games. I have both a Switch and a cool PC but, really, a lot of people would miss out the games. No way.

That's actually the weird thing about this. It says Exclusive for a while then all the games will be ported to other consoles on on Digital and it's like what would be the point? There exclusive for a limited time and then put on other consoles? That sounds like an expensive risk to me. 

The worst part though is I'd love to see Insomniac do a Ratchet and Clank style Sonic game. I mean hopefully combat wouldn't be as repetitive as Rise of Lyric but a combat platformer could be kinda fun to see.  

In other news, I have found this video on Sonic Team’s sort of development cycles since the late 90s. Should be interesting to watch. 

• Thumbs Up 2

LTTP but wow at that 4chan "leak." I checked out once it said Sega trying to get the music rights to the trilogy back (they've had no problems about Nakamura/DCT owning the rights to the S1/S2 soundtrack for the past near-thirty years; and S3 is a legal landmine that might never be solved anytime soon); so I didn't even see the comments about Sega getting Insomniac/Rare to develop games or having a Sonic exclusive per system until I read the reactions. Somebody was either seriously trying way too hard or was actively trolling.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just saw the leak. It is unbelievably fake.

Don’t trust everything you see on 4chan, because anyone can say anything on there without any proof. Only a very very small percentage is legit, while everything else that takes up 99% of all leaks are bullshit. Not to mention how a lot of this doesn’t even make sense with SEGA’s actions, as for instance, they are perfectly fine with paying rights to Dreams Come True to use the soundtracks of Sonic 1 and 2 in games.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Polkadi~☆ said:

Don’t trust everything you see on 4chan

Lemme correct you there: don't trust ANYTHING you see on 4chan. Even if they might be true. That way, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Thumbs Up 2

Having a long gap between main titles doesn't guarantee that the game will automatically be better. (as we have already seen) I personally think that the huge gaps are causing Sonic Team to be "Out of practice" when it comes to making the mainline games. It would be one thing if they were actually doing something during all that time but in general the more far off and lenient the deadlines are the more people are going to procrastinate. I definitely want to have "bigger" games again but Forces had a four year gap from the last major Sonic Team game but it only took me all of one day to finish it.

• My Emmerdoods 1

1 hour ago, Mark_The_Dephiles said:

Having a long gap between main titles doesn't guarantee that the game will automatically be better. (as we have already seen) I personally think that the huge gaps are causing Sonic Team to be "Out of practice" when it comes to making the mainline games. It would be one thing if they were actually doing something during all that time but in general the more far off and lenient the deadlines are the more people are going to procrastinate. I definitely want to have "bigger" games again but Forces had a four year gap from the last major Sonic Team game but it only took me all of one day to finish it.

Most of which was spent developing a new lighting engine. And I’ve heard there was also quite the development hell thanks to factors like Rise of Lyric.