Awoo.

Next Main Game is 30th Anniversary Title, Drop Dash News

Multikaris

On 8/17/2019 at 9:32 PM, Wraith said:

Sega getting Insomniac games and Rare to make Sonic games at the same time would be ridiculous. Don't even give stuff like this the time of day. 

Since Sony now own Insomniac, this myth is: BUSTED! 

If this is given to another studio, it'll be another smaller outfit. 

Was busted from the moment it read "4chan" tho'. Does any Sonic related leak from 4chan turned out real? I know other games did, but I don't recall Sonic. I mean, remember Sonic Gauntled??? lol

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Most of which was spent developing a new lighting engine. And I’ve heard there was also quite the development hell thanks to factors like Rise of Lyric.

Well now the new engine is finished and Boom is over so they are really starting to run out of excuses. Just to be clear, I am not implying that they should rush their games I just want them to be working on them more regularly so they can get more experience/feedback with each one. Four years is just far too long of a wait for the types of games we have been getting and I daresay it seems rather lazy. If Sonic Team actually knew what they were doing and wanted to make a big epic game then sure they can take all of the time they need but the problem is I don't think the current developers are really capable of that right now.

• Fist Bump 1

18 minutes ago, Mark_The_Dephiles said:

Well now the new engine is finished and Boom is over so they are really starting to run out of excuses. Just to be clear, I am not implying that they should rush their games I just want them to be working on them more regularly so they can get more experience/feedback with each one. Four years is just far too long of a wait for the types of games we have been getting and I daresay it seems rather lazy. If Sonic Team actually knew what they were doing and wanted to make a big epic game then sure they can take all of the time they need but the problem is I don't think the current developers are really capable of that right now.

Forces seemed to be practice for making big epic games, so I say that maybe we get a few more like Forces before we get a true epic, at most.

While it’s understandable that a lot of us presume Sonic Team will develop the next game, it’s important to consider that they’ve reportedly been dissolved and absorbed into a larger studio that are seemingly working on other franchises now. While the 4chan post is likely bogus, I do think the possibility of the next mainline game not being developed internally by SEGA is a very real one.

Given the relocation of various Sonic Team veterans to the U.S, I can absolutely see SEGA seeking an acclaimed western studio to work with and develop the next instalment. They’ve possibly been preparing for such a thing since Iizuka’s move in 2016. For one thing, I think the marketing element of “Hey guys, THIS team is making the next game!” would work great (as opposed to "Big Red who?"), plus the reception of Sonic Mania may have affirmed to them a notion that a team located in the west (where the franchise is more popular) may have a slightly more accurate cultural ear to the ground with regard to what the zeitgeist considers a solid Sonic game (as fragmented as that zeitgeist is). Kind of a “It worked with 2D, so let’s do 3D now” type approach. I dunno, just a few thoughts.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Forces seemed to be practice for making big epic games, so I say that maybe we get a few more like Forces before we get a true epic, at most.

Practice? Bunny, you know and I know that Forces was made [into] a dramatic anniversary game, not to mention how it has "We're sorry we tried something different with Lost World" written all over it.

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Practice? Bunny, you know and I know that Forces was made [into] a dramatic anniversary game, not to mention how it has "We're sorry we tried something different with Lost World" written all over it.

Yep. That's the Sonic Team cycle, as explained on that video.

A formula is proven succesfull (boost) > they try something completely different out of nowhere (parkour) > it gets critized > instead of improving and refining the new formula, they rush back to the proven one (boost) > it's poorly executed and the game end up feeling rushed and all patched out > they never try that formula again. Rinse and repeat. Seriously, that guy nailed. So, in theory, a new succesfull formula should be the next step....uuuuuntill it's ditched in favor of a new one that isn't as good. They return to the succesfull one and ruin it. Start again.

2 hours ago, Gotta Go Rational said:

While it’s understandable that a lot of us presume Sonic Team will develop the next game, it’s important to consider that they’ve reportedly been dissolved and absorbed into a larger studio that are seemingly working on other franchises now. While the 4chan post is likely bogus, I do think the possibility of the next mainline game not being developed internally by SEGA is a very real one.

Given the relocation of various Sonic Team veterans to the U.S, I can absolutely see SEGA seeking an acclaimed western studio to work with and develop the next instalment. They’ve possibly been preparing for such a thing since Iizuka’s move in 2016. For one thing, I think the marketing element of “Hey guys, THIS team is making the next game!” would work great (as opposed to "Big Red who?"), plus the reception of Sonic Mania may have affirmed to them a notion that a team located in the west (where the franchise is more popular) may have a slightly more accurate cultural ear to the ground with regard to what the zeitgeist considers a solid Sonic game (as fragmented as that zeitgeist is). Kind of a “It worked with 2D, so let’s do 3D now” type approach. I dunno, just a few thoughts.

100% this. I suspect that the next title will be primarily have SOA's hands in it rather than SOJ, in addition to the possibility of bringing in an outside reputable company. Indications are that the Japanese presence that actually wants to make Sonic games has moved to America and that SOA will manage the title. Sonic has always had a large impact in western markets but not so much in the east where other brands may be more appealing for SOJ.

To me this is very underrated knowledge because SOA and SOJ have been squabbling since forever. And SOA knows its fanbase. I wont actually get excited until I start hearing and seeing concrete things but this is a substantive reason to hope that Sonic may be heading in a positive direction once again. 

Edit: I meant to put SOA and SOJ in quotes because the "official" Sonic Team as we knew it has been disbanded.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

4 hours ago, Gotta Go Rational said:

Maybe but then we have to think about Sonic Team's own habit of rushing things.like they could partner with Insomniac or Square Enix or Rockstar and it wouldn't matter because they'd definitely micromanage and try to get games out yearly and not care if it's incomplete. 

Man I don't even hate Sonic Team but even I can admit this is a problem. 

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Maybe but then we have to think about Sonic Team's own habit of rushing things.like they could partner with Insomniac or Square Enix or Rockstar and it wouldn't matter because they'd definitely micromanage and try to get games out yearly and not care if it's incomplete. 

Man I don't even hate Sonic Team but even I can admit this is a problem. 

Sonic Team doesnt have a habit of rushing things. SOJ had a habit of rushing Sonic Team. Key difference.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

On 8/20/2019 at 7:18 AM, Jango said:

Was busted from the moment it read "4chan" tho'. Does any Sonic related leak from 4chan turned out real? I know other games did, but I don't recall Sonic. I mean, remember Sonic Gauntled??? lol

There was, actually; namely for Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. A playtester posted various information for the game on the site (and leaked Runners' existence before it was announced) around the time RoL was being showcased at E3. Unfortunately there's no screencaps or archives of the actual thread / responses, but Sonic Stadium had an article about it and it was referenced on these boards during the fallout of the game's release (both links are archives, these both came out prior to The Great SSMB Server Crash). Retro also discussed it as well.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I like the general idea of a well-known and beloved development team working on a mainstream Sonic game. Even if they've never worked on anything like a Sonic game before it would instill more hope in me than the idea of anything Sonic Team could do at this point. If they've well and truly dissolved it as a "team" than I can't say I mourn it's "loss" in all honesty. The circus surrounding these 2.5D titles needed to get itself in check. I can only hope there's an attempt being made to do so.

That isn't to say that they've seen success literally every time they've done this. Bioware kind of just kicked their B-Team over to Chronicles and ended up making a game that only seemed to create problems, even past the point where you'd think it'd be relevant (Penderp) but I'm more optimistic than not about it. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I've wanted Retro Studios to develop a Sonic game for like 7 years but the truth is they're probably just establishing a Sonic Team in the USA and it'll be lead by Iizuka still.

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I've wanted Retro Studios to develop a Sonic game for like 7 years but the truth is they're probably just establishing a Sonic Team in the USA and it'll be lead by Iizuka still.

Honestly Iizuka gets way too much hate. Having learned of his many contributions over the years and as an steady presence in the series, I can confidently say that without him the sonic series would have been much worse off since sonic 06. Theres no question about it. He's the sole longstanding member that has fought to keep sonic true to its roots, even though he undoubtedly has had some missteps along the way. Things have not gone great for sonic in a long time but people really have no idea that things could actually be worse. Sonic games could have permanently gone in a direction like Boom a long time ago, if not for people like Iizuka.

Also adventure fans in general need to slow down and remember to honor this dude every once in a while because those games are HIS babies even more than Naka's. Especially the shadow arc from SA2 to 06, that is heavy heavy Iizuka influence. He's not going to disregard the classic era because he was a small part of it but he really made his bones with the adventure games. He was much more of a supporting staff member during the classic era, and a primary mover during the adventure era.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 2

1 hour ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

Honestly Iizuka gets way too much hate. Having learned of his many contributions over the years and as an steady presence in the series, I can confidently say that without him the sonic series would have been much worse off since sonic 06. Theres no question about it. He's the sole longstanding member that has fought to keep sonic true to its roots, even though he undoubtedly has had some missteps along the way. Things have not gone great for sonic in a long time but people really have no idea that things could actually be worse. Sonic games could have permanently gone in a direction like Boom a long time ago, if not for people like Iizuka.

Also adventure fans in general need to slow down and remember to honor this dude every once in a while because those games are HIS babies even more than Naka's. Especially the shadow arc from SA2 to 06, that is heavy heavy Iizuka influence. He's not going to disregard the classic era because he was a small part of it but he really made his bones with the adventure games. He was much more of a supporting staff member during the classic era, and a primary mover during the adventure era.

So he honestly may have sacrificed his own material in favor of something else that'd work for a little while?

55 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

So he honestly may have sacrificed his own material in favor of something else that'd work for a little while?

Anyone in his position since the mid 2000s would have done that. Sonic was constantly taking punches from the gaming press, especially in 2006, and someone needed to right the ship so he brand wasn't completely destroyed. He just like many others at the company learned a lot about what to do and what not to do and tried to build on their successes as much as possible, as well as keeping a finger on the pulse of fans.

• Fist Bump 1

Sonic took very few hits in the 00s its just noting really stuck. If you remember 06 was actually looked forward to before the game finally came out. The trailers, the demo, it all seemed actually good. But then we got the end result. A rushed mess just to meet some imaginary deadline and using inferior versions (ps3 version as the base, since 360s original ran better) and ever since then save for unleased to some extent sega rushes everything. I REALLY hope they take their time on the next game but my hopes are about as high as hoping EA does not put MTX in the new need for speed.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

and ever since then save for unleased to some extent sega rushes everything. I REALLY hope they take their time on the next game but my hopes are about as high as hoping EA does not put MTX in the new need for speed.

Have they?

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Have they?

Who EA? They say there will be no loot boxes only car dlc but its EA there has to be mtx most likely

8 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Who EA? They say there will be no loot boxes only car dlc but its EA there has to be mtx most likely

No, SonicTeam/SEGA.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Have they?

No they haven't.

I can only assume  @Meta77 is exaggerating, but every game post 06 has not been rushed. They have delayed several of the most recent ones for example.

42 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

No they haven't.

I can only assume  @Meta77 is exaggerating, but every game post 06 has not been rushed. They have delayed several of the most recent ones for example.

And to add on the rushing point, SEGA of Japan (executives) and Sonic Team are not the same group of people. SEGA can demand that sonic team rushes a game out to meet a deadline and Sonic Team cannot say a word about it. This has been documented to have happened continuously throughout the franchise's history, often at the expense of quality control, the most famous case being Sonic 06...but also even in the classic days. That is not Sonic Team's fault, they had no say in the matter.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

I don't care how he influenced the Adventure era, I don't like his current vision for Sonic.

Wait, Sonic Team is disbanded? That's actually kind of depressing....

Sure there are probably other companies that can do better in some ways but I really wanted Sonic Team themselves to do better. With other companies I feel they are just going to ignore the past and make Sonic into their own image. As many grievances I may have with IIzuka's more recent contributions it was good to know that there was someone at Sonic Team who had actually been there during the good days, and I really have to commend him for sticking it out for so long. Many of the problems with Forces were likely not even his fault as it turns out his team basically consisted of Story Book games level designers (Which explains why the levels were so short and heavily splined). I guess this means we won't be getting a proper sendoff....

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

I don't care how he influenced the Adventure era, I don't like his current vision for Sonic.

Well, I would have said it was better than Rise of Lyric and the movie, but apparently he was indeed involved with both of those projects...

But how much?