Awoo.

If you could create a definitive ending for the Sonic franchise, how would you do it?

Myst

Would you kill off a character?

Pair up two characters romantically?

Throw in a twist nobody saw coming?

I'm not sure if it'd even be possible to create a satisfying definitive end for the series since it was never meant to be going anywhere and it's largely lost its sense of what it's even supposed to be about. Best I can figure you'd want to go back to the core conflict and "solve" it. Sonic vs Eggman, small animals vs robots, nature vs technology. What "solving" all that actually entails...could be any number of things.

Maybe Eggman gets all the emeralds and uses them to roboticize the planet itself, and only Sonic is able to (somehow) avoid it. Maybe even Eggman himself is roboticized, ascending to AI godhood (which they could leverage to justify the heroes killing him off, arguing he's already abandoned his humanity and mortality so it's not "really" killing, and that undoing his machine world simply "undoes" his existence). Maybe Sonic's gotta go through twisted mechanized versions of typical level themes and then fight his roboticized friends and restore them to flesh and blood (with handwavey chaos emerald magic probably). And then they all get together for a big final assault on wherever Eggman's holed up and finish him off for good, restoring the rest of the world in the process.

That could be something approaching a conclusion to Eggman's business but it feels a bit weak for Sonic. But then Sonic isn't a character who needs or even really desires much of anything. There's nothing to wrap up because he's already about as fulfilled as a person can be. In fact concluding the series is almost the biggest wound you can inflict on him, because that means there's no more adventures for him.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I actually put too much thought into how I’d like to see it end, but this isn’t the place for fanfiction. All I’m gonna say is that I want the Sonic series to have an climactic ending that results in an in-canon reboot, similar to what Marvel and DC comics have done, so we can shore up all the plotholes and have a consistent universe from there-on out. No more two-worlds, Blaze is either from the future or the Sol dimension but not both, classic Sonic isn’t from another dimension but is just young Sonic, etc. From there you can make totally new games and reintroduce the extended cast and build the world however you want.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic turns to the camera, smirks, wags his fingers, and speeds off into the sunset. Maybe we won't see any more of them, but Sonic will never stop having adventures.

• Thumbs Up 4

As @Diogenes said, there's no way to make a satisfactory ending to the series when it's not really been going on any particular direction for a long time. A few arcs have been built up and brought to an end over the years, but they're all self-contained and not a part of the bigger picture. Plus how well they were pulled off is questionable (Shadow is bent on revenge > he realises his errors and sacrifices himself > oh wait he's aliveto > now he's an alien too). That's just looking at it through the lens of the series past attempts at storytelling of course. There's no reason we couldn't see a story rounded off well. Sonic isn't telling a whole story though, so I don't think that you can tell a satisfying end to it.

@Chili Dawg has the right idea about Sonic just running off and carrying on. Basically the Unleashed ending. And definitely no romance or deaths.

There should first be a series of good games with good storylines.

You seriously expect to have a good ending after Lost World-Forces-TSR??

If we made an ending after S3&K-SA1-SA2 for example, it would have been epic. See the difference?

I don't really see the point of a "definitive ending" in a franchise like Sonic (that kind of franchise can change tone and evolve with time, it don't need an "ending"). It's not a story made by a little crew, but the kind of story that'll ever have many different people working on it, with different way of doing it. TBH it would give me bad vibes of some of the ego-trip like Penders.

But if I had to imagine that, basically it would simply be yet another adventure, but ending with the end of the "Eggman menace" (not necessarily by killing him). Maybe with a bit more of an impact, and maybe a more contemplative way of handling the scenario.

I don't know if I could ever have the series end, even if there's a degree of ongoing story to it.

With that said, I think Forces done right would fit.

11 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Maybe even Eggman himself is roboticized, ascending to AI godhood (which they could leverage to justify the heroes killing him off, arguing he's already abandoned his humanity and mortality so it's not "really" killing, and that undoing his machine world simply "undoes" his existence).

Image result for illustration

• Thumbs Up 1

How about Sonic taps him foot irritated then yells "I'm outta here" and jumps of the screen and we never see him again?

Ok, Sonic doesn't really have any 'arcs' or plotpoints to end. Unless you kill Sonic or Eggman, no ending is 'definitive'. Eggman could take over a planet (Forces), roboticizer himself (Robo-robonik in Archie), get thrown into jail (Sonic X) and story can easily continue, just like it did I all cases I mentioned.

I guess you can make SonAmy official, but I don't think the final "Huzza' of the  franchises shouldn't be a love story.

Ironically one of better ideas would be Sonic's origin, story making full circle (then again, we visited Sonic's past few too many times). But any major change of current status quo? I think I would prefer "X Years Later" kind of look, showing us future that may-or-may-not happen. (Preferably without Knuckles daughter having slumber parties)

EDIT: WAIT, WAIT, WAIT!!!

I have a somewhat serious idea: reform Eggman. Considering what he survived that's the only sure way of stopping him, and frankly more fitting seeing how lovable Eggman is to the audience.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

16 hours ago, blueblur98 said:

instead of blowing the moon up, eggman blows the planet up

He's blown the planet up already. More than once even. All that does is lead to another adventure for Sonic.

If I were to end the series, I'd do so by opening up the multiverse to Sonic for exploration. Let him deal with some kind of omnicidal threat as a final boss, acquire its tech/abilities to travel to different planes of reality, and leave the series with him running headfirst into literally unlimited time and space to see what kind of adventures he can have on other worlds.

Then you can make him cameo in the background of like every Sega game for the rest of history lol.

17 hours ago, thumbs13 said:

Have it revealed that Sonic's been in a coma since Sonic 1, and as he wakes up, the credits roll.

Here he is:

hedgehog-sleeping-800x532.jpg

That human hand belongs to his favorite employee at the rescue facility, a plump mustached man who feeds him eggs as a special treat.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

On 6/29/2019 at 11:18 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

EDIT: WAIT, WAIT, WAIT!!!

I have a somewhat serious idea: reform Eggman. Considering what he survived that's the only sure way of stopping him, and frankly more fitting seeing how lovable Eggman is to the audience.

I had a similar idea to that too. I know the tone of Sonic has changed a lot since the Adventure/Shadow/06 days, but if a serious storyline were to be done again, Have a scene where Eggman is about to finally kill Sonic, (maybe a robot arm is choking him), Eggman's plans have suceeded, the world is in chaos. Sonic appeals to Eggman's better nature, reminding him of his Grandfather Gerald, and tells him he knows this isn't what he wanted.

Eggman sees the world in peril on monitors across the room and has a flashback to his childhood with Gerald. He lets Sonic go, and reprograms his robots to fight whatever monster-of-the-week he has unleashed.

Maybe even have Eggman try to fight the monster himself, like when he tried to take down Perfect Chaos with the Egg Carrier. He could die as a hero. I really can't picture Eggman dying as a villain. He's nefarious & scheming, but I don't truly see him as an evil character.

If one were to make a truly serious finale to Sonic (and I know some people would laugh at the idea) have Eggman leave a will, with instructions in it that his money be used to build the Maria Robotnik Memorial Hospital (come on, Eggman has to be loaded with cash, with all of his robots and laboratories. Maybe Gerald left Eggman a ton of money when he died?) his Eggpawns could be used as clowns to entertain sick children or something, with other robots as janitors and whatnot. I know, really corny idea.

I know such an idea would never realistically happen in the series, with the constantly changing tone, it's what I would do though.

Also, have it end with a scene similar to episode 52 of Sonic X, when Sonic met Amy at sunrise. 

4 minutes ago, Myst said:

If one were to make a truly serious finale to Sonic (and I know some people would laugh at the idea) have Eggman leave a will, with instructions in it that his money be used to build the Maria Robotnik Memorial Hospital (come on, Eggman has to be loaded with cash, with all of his robots and laboratories. Maybe Gerald left Eggman a ton of money when he died?) his Eggpawns could be used as clowns to entertain sick children or something, with other robots as janitors and whatnot. I know, really corny idea.

He also knowns a number of companies, including the security providing MeteoTech and whatever is sponsering the World Grand Prix.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’ve always envisioned Eggman as someone who wants to control everything because he’s pathologically insecure about himself and the chaos of the world. This makes him the polar opposite of Sonic, who has a carefree attitude and seeks to preserve the natural world. An ending to the franchise would involve Eggman overcoming this psychological flaw. 

• Promotion 1

I like Sonic running off to places unknown in a never ending adventure. I like reforming Eggman.

Maybe Eggman creates a perfect robot, and tries to take over the world like always, but the robot wants to be alive. Sonic teaches it some lessons about what it really means to be alive, and then Eggman travels into deep space on a quest to give his robot life. Like he has a reverse roboticization epiphany.

Some status quo should remain the same. Sonic gives Amy some maybe-he-does maybe-he-doesn’t lines. She and Tails follow Sonic into the distance. Tails gets another medal for something.

I like Rouge and Knuckles. They continue flirting forever. Knuckles guards the M.E. until forever.

Shadow should die again, because that’s the most fitting place for his arc. But instead of a real death he should earn his place as “ultimate” by becoming pure chaos energy like some kind of chaos force ghost. He will say some badass lines and go out like a hero in a blaze of chaos stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1