Jump to content
Wraith

Canon Immigrants

Recommended Posts

That level is lacking in clear direction, which is probably one of the reasons they didn't use it.

Plus the regular game already has seamless wall running, just...like that level, there's no reason to do it most of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

That level is lacking in clear direction, which is probably one of the reasons they didn't use it.

 

We already know the reason, Iizuka said it was scrapped due to time constraints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

The main reason.

It's missing the point though, I'm simply saying that this was the best attempt at including the core fundamentals of the classic style in a 3D environment reasons for being scrapped notwithstanding.

That's also probably a big reason why it was scrapped; the physics engine just isn't fit to handle a level built around momentum, Windy Valley WAS the first level made for the game after all and it was designed with that mentality in mind as were the first two acts for the test stages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MainJP said:

...the physics engine just isn't fit to handle a level built around momentum...

It is...but Sonic even when rolling doesn't gain enough speed for it to matter.

Also  any off level terrain causes Sonic to uncurl and start running again, which isn't an physics engine problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StaticMania said:

It is...but Sonic even when rolling doesn't gain enough speed for it to matter.

 

Which means it isn't. That absolutely is a physics engine problem.

He can't spin through these curves in the ground which was definitely the intention. The rolling physics just aren't responsive to this type of terrain.

Sa1windyvalley.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MainJP said:

You know what? And this might have even been brought up before, but I'll go ahead and say early Windy Valley. It's basically a momentum-based rolling mechanics style Sonic level built for a 3D environment (it's just too bad the game's engine couldn't support it in the end). 

This literally is a classic level in 3D.

It's not perfect but it's certainly good for a first attempt in 1998 and it's better than Sonic Team's recent attempts.

Oh yes, this. Lewis's eyes must've been practically lit. 

Great post, btw. Nicely illustrates your point in a concise, easy for anyone to receive manner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think he can run through those curves either.

Not many 3D games have really made a good effort to have 3D characters not jump off a curve when at a decent speed.

Maybe they have, not sure.

Is it not a collision problem more than a physics thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh yes, this. Lewis's eyes must've been practically lit. 

Great post, btw. Nicely illustrates your point in a concise, easy for anyone to receive manner. 

I'd never seen Lewis that emotional over something before. Maybe I don't watch enough BSC.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, MainJP said:

I'd never seen Lewis that emotional over something before. Maybe I don't watch enough BSC.

Thanks.

Oh, he get worked up on little things sometimes. Just usually not in that sense. 

Infinite 2, anyone? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2019 at 5:44 PM, StaticMania said:

I don't think he can run through those curves either.

Not many 3D games have really made a good effort to have 3D characters not jump off a curve when at a decent speed.

Maybe they have, not sure.

Is it not a collision problem more than a physics thing?

Came back to this after getting to fool with Windy Valley Act 3 for a bit. I take it back, he can roll on the terrain to an extant.

He uncurls over the taller ones due to the sharper edges in the collision and he will not really jump as you put it but he does sometimes launch right off of them.

He has a habit of uncurling or flying off of the edges of curved surfaces. So yeah, you're right about it being more of a collision problem.

That's not to say he won't cooperate from time to time. He does the same uncurl/launching bullshit in STG00 (stage 0) but he does stay attached to the terrain when it feels like it.

The test stage has these classic half pipes:

EDNPp0fWsAAMudl?format=jpg&name=large

This hints at the possibility that Sonic could stay curled upon touching the ground in early builds. Holding the Spin Dash/X button after release probably kept him curled up like how holding down on the D-pad does in the MD classics.

There's this loop that's impossible to completely run through.

7ta7VM8.png

I can get Sonic to run up the curve half way with enough speed before he falls off. He can go further with a Spin Dash before flying off the sides. Since it curves into the slope physics area  I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be in ball form on the loop.

The layouts of the test stages and original Windy Valley suggests there was another feature of the old rolling physics that didn't carry over into later revisions.

On 8/6/2019 at 4:58 PM, StaticMania said:

That level is lacking in clear direction, which is probably one of the reasons they didn't use it.

Heavy disagree. I didn't find the third act's spiral section that unclear. If that version was still in the final the dev's could have maybe made it more obvious with proper camera angles but it's...not nearly as much of a problem compared to unclear paths in other games for instance.

...I feel like we should've talked about this somewhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess that without Sticks, Cream possibly getting forgotten or just minor roles, Wave being relegated to obscure spin-off appearances or not even that, Tikal being long time dead. We do really need more girls, so either they introduce more, or just add Tangle and Whisper to the mix, after all they are very popular and at the peak of their character life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

I guess that without Sticks, Cream possibly getting forgotten or just minor roles, Wave being relegated to obscure spin-off appearances or not even that, Tikal being long time dead. We do really need more girls, so either they introduce more, or just add Tangle and Whisper to the mix, after all they are very popular and at the peak of their character life.

Or they could also let Honey in...if anyone still cares about her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OR, I  know that sound crazy but Sticks stick with me, Sonic games have larger cast then it knows what to do with and it will take miracle for Amy, Blaze and Rouge to play bigger role inthe same main tittle.

If they 'll need a extra chick, they'll resurrect Cream or Wave. It makes more sense that mixing withing with comics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

OR, I  know that sound crazy but Sticks stick with me, Sonic games have larger cast then it knows what to do with and it will take miracle for Amy, Blaze and Rouge to play bigger role inthe same main tittle.

If they 'll need a extra chick, they'll resurrect Cream or Wave. It makes more sense that mixing withing with comics.

Yeah, Cream, Wave, Marine for sure. That reminds me...put Marine in more shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

OR, I  know that sound crazy but Sticks stick with me, Sonic games have larger cast then it knows what to do with and it will take miracle for Amy, Blaze and Rouge to play bigger role inthe same main tittle.

If they 'll need a extra chick, they'll resurrect Cream or Wave. It makes more sense that mixing withing with comics.

or they could just make new characters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wave was always meant to be a Riders character though, a defunct spin-off series, so she's almost in the Sticks situation. Marine was always gonna be a one-off though. Cream is definitely gonna be resurrected, but with enough fan demand, no one's really ever dead in this series. We'll see, but for now I'm disappointed, aside from the comics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

Marine was always gonna be a one-off though.

I got the impression that the idea for Marine was that she basically going to be Blaze's sidekick, but with no more Rush games, and Silver needing to be paired with someone, and that Marine isn't that popular, shes just been abandoned. I would of thought if Rush 3 was made, Marine would of been back at Blaze's side personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely no--

Oh wait, this is a preexisting thread. 

6 hours ago, MainJP said:

Or they could also let Honey in...if anyone still cares about her.

She'll likely just be restricted to Classic. 

8 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

I guess that without Sticks, Cream possibly getting forgotten or just minor roles, Wave being relegated to obscure spin-off appearances or not even that, Tikal being long time dead. We do really need more girls, so either they introduce more, or just add Tangle and Whisper to the mix, after all they are very popular and at the peak of their character life.

 

6 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

OR, I  know that sound crazy but Sticks stick with me, Sonic games have larger cast then it knows what to do with and it will take miracle for Amy, Blaze and Rouge to play bigger role inthe same main tittle.

If they 'll need a extra chick, they'll resurrect Cream or Wave. It makes more sense that mixing withing with comics.

They're basically approaching similar level as Dr.Nega, Jet, and formerly Big: they are official recurring characters, it's just that SonicTeam hasn't seen or at least provided much use for them outside of wide spinoffs and crossovers. 

2 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

I got the impression that the idea for Marine was that she basically going to be Blaze's sidekick, but with no more Rush games, and Silver needing to be paired with someone, and that Marine isn't that popular, shes just been abandoned. I would of thought if Rush 3 was made, Marine would of been back at Blaze's side personally.

Essentially. We just haven't had more games in the Sol Dimension and with her comparative minor role and unpopularity in mind, there is rarely a chance for her to appear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated topic title. Figured the Ian news can be discussed in here so I don't have to read dumb takes on the side bar all day. 

 

 


Basically, the FF are not 100% dead, Ian is still pushing for them to appear in the current comics. It's not the same as them appearing in the modern Sonic games but with how close the IDW world is to the games it would be as close as we'll ever get to seeing something like that happen.

Ian did such a good job updating the characters over the comic's history that I'd be up for it, personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Updated topic title. Figured the Ian news can be discussed in here so I don't have to read dumb takes on the side bar all day. 

 

 


Basically, the FF are not 100% dead, Ian is still pushing for them to appear in the current comics. It's not the same as them appearing in the modern Sonic games but with how close the IDW world is to the games it would be as close as we'll ever get to seeing something like that happen.

Ian did such a good job updating the characters over the comic's history that I'd be up for it, personally.

He has been saying that for a little while now. But I guess that's just certain people for ya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, once again, this isn't really news. He's said this before a couple of times. I guess it being in a tweet makes it more newsworthy than usual (though, I'm certain he must have said something similar in a tweet at least once before too).

 Not as many people listen to the podcast even though he makes it super easy to find the answers to the questions he's asked. Not only does he provide time stamps for the Q and A sections but he's got all the questions that are going to be asked written out in the video descriptions alongside them. 

I'm more in the position of seeing old news being brought up and treated like it's fanciful than wondering if it'll be likely to happen. I can't say I think it will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It just nice to get an update on things

and because the whole "the FFs can't fit into modern Sonic" take is stupid bullshit and it's nice to see Ian affirm that he'd take measures to ensure that they fit into Sonic's world. You know, like what he already did for the Archie reboot, so I don't know why people keep parroting this rhetoric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unlike Sonic Team, Ian Flynn has enough trust in handling these characters of they’re brought back.

That the changes in the Archie Reboot were well received despite the fact that people were against them to begin with makes that clear.

Not really sure what more he’d need to change to modify them design-wise tho, as they’re already modified to fit the games. Backstory maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.