Awoo.

Canon Immigrants

Wraith

4 hours ago, Petrifying Panda said:

...you mean Bunnie and Antoine right?

Yes...and I have no idea how that was autocorrected to Rotor...

On 10/22/2019 at 8:32 PM, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

How is that their fault?

It isn't, but that wouldn't make their inclusion in IDW Sonic any less upsetting.

Because he’s the main villain? Just like Sonic is the main hero?

He's only the "main villain" by default. If the series had a better rogues' gallery, Eggman wouldn't necessarily get priority over the other bad guys. Or maybe he would because of nostalgia, but you get my point.

Those two are the driving conflict: Sonic vs Eggman. You’re not playing favorites with those two compared to prioritizing Knuckles, Tails, and Amy at the exclusion of other characters who have every right to appear as often.

No, the driving conflict is Sonic vs "a bad guy", the latter of whom could be literally anyone. The series doesn't need Eggman specifically.

How would Naugus be incorporated into IDW?

I still want to see a scenario where he’s an unhinged Gazeebo Boobowski.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Petrifying Panda said:

How would Naugus be incorporated into IDW?

Hide contents

I still want to see a scenario where he’s an unhinged Gazeebo Boobowski.

That's kinda funny. Though I suppose you could just have the latter be that for whatever reason.

Just now, DabigRG said:

That's kinda funny. Though I suppose you could just have the latter be that for whatever reason.

That’s kind of what I mean.

I want a continuity where Naugus used to be a kind scientist (Boobowski) but was somehow driven insane, turning him into the creepy wizard.

Basically, Ice King from Adventure Time.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Petrifying Panda said:

That’s kind of what I mean.

I want a continuity where Naugus used to be a kind scientist (Boobowski) but was somehow driven insane, turning him into the creepy wizard.

Basically, Ice King from Adventure Time.

Ah.

Funny you say that, cause I was thinking of a setup where Tiara is trying to figure out why her father became that and want to undo it without losing him altogether.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

It isn't, but that wouldn't make their inclusion in IDW Sonic any less upsetting.

It shouldn’t make their inclusion upsetting if that’s the case then.

He's only the "main villain" by default. If the series had a better rogues' gallery, Eggman wouldn't necessarily get priority over the other bad guys. Or maybe he would because of nostalgia, but you get my point.

Much the same way Sonic is the “main hero” by default even with a dozen other heroic characters on his side. So Eggman would definitely get priority much the same way.

Would be nice to have more rogues tho.

No, the driving conflict is Sonic vs "a bad guy", the latter of whom could be literally anyone. The series doesn't need Eggman specifically.

No, the driving conflict is Sonic vs Eggman, no matter how hard you want to twist it to mean otherwise. It’s been that way since the beginning, has been reinforced for almost 30 years, and is not going to change anymore than Mario vs Bowser will.

You may argue that it doesn’t need Eggman specifically, but that can of worms also means it doesn’t need Sonic either—and no one of sense is going to say that and mean it unless they want the consequences they know will come from it.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

I'm sorry that a story arc in a children's comic book has given you permanent PTSD.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 2
  • Way Past Cool 1

15. Look on the Bright Side: He Makes Great Waffles!

Tails learns that Sonic has been transformed into a toaster.

From https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_in_Robotnik's_Laboratory

https://www.slashgear.com/sonic-the-hedgehog-toaster-will-burn-you-the-perfect-breakfast-13534082/

I'm counting this as a canon immigrant.

Taking Ed's stuff and turning it into something constructive, what are some characters that might not transition into the games very well? What are some tweaks that can be done to potentially make things easier?

I still think that it's better to just focus and enjoy what is in the ACTUAL book, rather than being sad that our favorite minor characters are not in it. In fact, IDW has plenty of great characters and stories to offer IMO :)

38 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

...IDW has plenty of great characters and stories to offer IMO

It has 7...

And I think that's enough.

49 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

It has 7...

And I think that's enough.

I meant the Modern game cast but comic characters as well.

5 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

I still think that it's better to just focus and enjoy what is in the ACTUAL book, rather than being sad that our favorite minor characters are not in it. In fact, IDW has plenty of great characters and stories to offer IMO :)

I wasn't talking about Idw. 

On 10/30/2019 at 5:38 AM, Tangled Jack said:

I didn’t see people beefing with Archie focusing on what was in the actual book when they were demanding said characters be removed, so no one upset with their favorite minor characters should be obliged to return that favor.

Especially those of Pre-Reboot Archie who got screwed twice over for their favorites.

18 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

I didn’t see people beefing with Archie focusing on what was in the actual book when they were demanding said characters be removed, so no one upset with their favorite minor characters should be obliged to return that favor.

Especially those of Pre-Reboot Archie who got screwed twice over for their favorites.

I think I'm lost here. Did someone ask for the FFs to be removed when Archie was going? They were a huge part of the Archie comics, it wouldn't have been fair anyway. IDW is a different matter since it focuses almost only on Modern Sonic cast. I'm just saying to accept and move on, I mean, I for one did that after Sticks was dropped. I don't believe it's worth it to hold grudges for dead fictional characters, even though we loved them. Especially when there is still a great cast that we currently have.

From the "absolutely" pile:

Put Tangle & Whisper in. Mostly Tangle, her design and abilities fit the series really well. This reaches out to any future IDW characters too probably. They seem good at getting how Sonic chars look/do things.

I'd also vote Ixis Naugus in. This series needs another villain that's both not Eggman/Metal and not garbage. Naugus was always really likeable, I thought, and his design right before the reboot was particularly sick.

Bring back Scratch & Grounder and kill Orbot/Cubot. Just do it. End my suffering. 

From the "maybe" pile:

Freedom Fighters are alright, just keep them in the background and don't dare put them near 'main cast' territory. If they filled a more serious version of the Chaotix niche that'd be fine.

I'd say Mina Mongoose might be a good pick too, though I think she's doomed to Pender-Boller hell. Oh well.

From the "but first," pile:

Bring Sticks in, but steal everything about Aika from Skies of Arcadia rather than just a few things. Sure, she'll be a different character, but that's a good thing because Sticks is bad. She'll also resemble Marine more, which is good.

On a similar note, take the idea of Cosmo (plant girl character) and make that into a new, better character. Plant character is a good idea.

From the "no" pile:

Everyone else. Probably. Maybe. Actually no yeah for sure. No one else.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I dunno if I'd go with Naugus of all characters. His design always struck me as just.. extremely bizarre and more out of place for Sonic than something like even the Deadly Six. If he got a considerable redesign I'd be more open to it, but as it stands he feels like more of a leftover from a Saturday Morning cartoon studio... because in part that's what he was. 

But to be fair that's very visual-focused and I'm not familiar enough with the later comics to truly know what I'm going with here - just struck me as an odd thing to single out over the Freedom Fighters, who I think make a lot more sense at a glance. 

7 hours ago, azoo said:

I'd also vote Ixis Naugus in. This series needs another villain that's both not Eggman/Metal and not garbage. Naugus was always really likeable, I thought, and his design right before the reboot was particularly sick.

Naugus, of all the DiC characters, I think would be a really fun addition to the main series. It also helps that he just outright hates Eggman, and I like that while he hates technology, he can turn Eggman's mechs against him with his crystal magic. Might also make for an interesting enemy of Knuckles (because lord knows he fucking needs something to do) with him trying to enhance his powers with the Master Emerald. Most of this is stuff reboot Archie already did so I'm basically saying--yes, just put him in as he already was there.

EDIT: I still want Sally and the others back too, and I already explained what I would like to see. In short, I don't really think making them a "freedom fighting" team is necessary for Sega universe and it only comes up because that's the only association they've had when I think there's more to them than that. Not to say that can't work, because as they already were in Archie, you really just have to sever their history with Sonic. I don't really care about "status," rotate them like everyone else, shit's not hard. I just want to see characters I like getting some new life breathed into them.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Too Many Rings 1

18 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

I dunno if I'd go with Naugus of all characters. His design always struck me as just.. extremely bizarre and more out of place for Sonic than something like even the Deadly Six. If he got a considerable redesign I'd be more open to it, but as it stands he feels like more of a leftover from a Saturday Morning cartoon studio... because in part that's what he was. 

But to be fair that's very visual-focused and I'm not familiar enough with the later comics to truly know what I'm going with here - just struck me as an odd thing to single out over the Freedom Fighters, who I think make a lot more sense at a glance. 

Related image

a09c8202ef3b725dcb6cb9ea37083b54.png

(model by joeadok)

Idk, he's pretty dope from the last we saw him pre-reboot. It can go with being a little teeny bit more like a Sonic character, but I can get with it. Especially if it gives a means to justifying Sonic interacting with antagonists that aren't necessarily robots, people hiding behind robots, or whatever like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know the SatAM universe is largely incompatible with the SEGA Sonic universe, but I still can't shake my fondness for some of the fantasy elements from it, so I'm all for Naugus (SEGA-fied, of course) and even the concept of dragons and dinosaurs making appearances in the series proper. Maybe it's because I'm so underwhelmed with the official canon, but I think it's worth roping in some of those elements in moderation. 

Oh, and I'm down with the Freedom Fighters as a background group of go-getters doing their part to undo Eggman's collateral damage or leftover cities he's taken over post-Forces. Have 'em cross paths with the main cast on occasion, maybe Sonic and Sally can butt heads on how to handle a situation as per the show. Other than that, I'm with @azoo in keeping them as ancillary characters ala the Chaotix or Babylon Rogues.

• Thumbs Up 2

34 minutes ago, azoo said:

From the "no" pile:

Everyone else. Probably. Maybe. Actually no yeah for sure. No one else.

TopazTanaka.jpg.4aec6888395030119356bc534733ddbc.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

2 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Sir Connery. He’s a fan favorite  

https://images.app.goo.gl/M9Q7Q7FVb8NhW9vB7

Reported and blocked.

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

TopazTanaka.jpg.4aec6888395030119356bc534733ddbc.jpg

Oh yeah sorry about that, Topaz. Gonna give a quick shoutout to the only Sonic X character who is allowed to join the cast completely unscathed.. besides that lion guy that appeared for five seconds. They seem cool.

• Thumbs Up 1