Awoo.

Scooby-Doo Return To Zombie Island: Release Date ,Poster, Screens, & Synopsis

Blueknight V2.0

14 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Adding onto this, this seems to be Warner's new plan for movies, taking older Scooby properties, making a half-hearted sequel to them, and banking on nostalgia. The last movie did the exact same thing (Curse of the 13th Ghost), which was meant to be the long awaited conclusion to one of the few Scooby shows with a legit story arc over the whole show (The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo). 

Not only did the 13 Ghosts also have a small bank on the "real ghosts" idea before Zombie Island did it, but it's also notorious for ruining the premise of the series. Basically, where the original show was based on Scooby and co tracking down 13 of the strongest and most real ghosts ever, the conclusion movie literally chocked it up to the usual guy in a mask trying to get something or other as the 13th Ghost. This is further screwed by Velma claiming that the other 12 ghosts were hallucinations, and basically invalidating the show premise.

That's a big reason a lot of people have concerns over this as well. They're half-expecting them to fart out some kind of insane explanation that somehow reverts the real zombies, the were-cats, or even the cat-god from the original movie into being your typical Scooby affair where the bad guys were guys in a mask this whole time.

Wait, so it was like a Saving throw that nobody asked for?

13 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Personally, I'm just happy that they understood Dick Grayson never had a interest in Barbara Gordon whatsoever and instead he always had a fling with Harley Quinn. Because that's always been a thing and wasn't needlessly added for no reason whatsoever.

------------------------------at says it all really.

What?

Oh my goodness, I should probably try to watch some of those movies already.

Because whoo, context!

9 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Second to last episode HDW tries to help the gang as she and some of their town is held hostage by the prof.  He has her shot to death with a gatling gun

I haven't watched a whole lot of Mystery Inc. Who's HDW? That's nuts for a kids show. I need to see a clip of this. 

23 minutes ago, Tara said:

I still enjoy the name Hot Dog Water.  A serious name for a serious show.

For anyone that has not seen the show and want to know why shes called that. Her parents do not make much and they have to take baths in recycled water used to boil hot dogs so she has a undersmell of hotdogs

I'll allow this only if we get a remaster of Terror Time Again and The Ghost is Here.

So long as we're being shameless might as well get the good ass tunes back in action.

20 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I'll allow this only if we get a remaster of Terror Time Again and The Ghost is Here.

So long as we're being shameless might as well get the good ass tunes back in action.

Hell, give us a Blu-Ray release of the original Zombie Island, it would look brilliant in full HD.

• 2 weeks later...

So they released a promo clip on iTunes that essentially has nothing to do with the title of the movie?

I mean, okay, fine.

On 7/16/2019 at 10:09 PM, Tara said:

I still enjoy the name Hot Dog Water.  A serious name for a serious show.

On 7/16/2019 at 10:34 PM, Meta77 said:

For anyone that has not seen the show and want to know why shes called that. Her parents do not make much and they have to take baths in recycled water used to boil hot dogs so she has a undersmell of hotdogs

Huh.

Hot Dog Water sounds like a Native American title.

I'm just going to post the clips here and save everyone the time trying to find them - 

8 hours ago, Tara said:

So they released a promo clip on iTunes that essentially has nothing to do with the title of the movie?

I mean, okay, fine.

Being fair, and I mean reaaaally stretching to the realm of fair, it sort of resembles a portion of Zombie Island?

The core idea is the same, more or less, a montage of Scooby and the gang catching ghosts successfully and repeatedly, although obviously the Zombie Island version is better because not only is The Ghost is Here a bop of a song, but it serves narrative purpose. At that point of the movie, it comes when the gang just gets back together after years of being apart, and all of them being sick of fake monsters and ghosts.

The whole purpose of the song is to deconstruct the usual Scooby affair because the gang thought it would be different this time around, and you can see not only are they far more experienced now, but the gang is actively getting more and more desensitised to the idea of catching ghosts. Daphne is getting increasingly more frustrated and shaking her head as they see more fakes, and even by the end, Shaggy's gotten up the courage to be the one to unmask one of them on camera. It not only remains a lot more in the darker atmosphere of Zombie Island by actively making a few more threatening designs (to the point the bat creature was used multiple times in ads showcasing the real monsters this time around), but it sets up the gang's sceptical nature, skill gained from years of catching ghosts and such, and why they so easily accept the offer to go to Moonscar Island to take up Lena's offer of actual "real" ghosts.

Here, it's just more like your standard Scooby thing I guess? It's a bit more goofier, it's got a 60's type song like you'd get in the older chase scenes, and it's just sort of about the gang having fun solving mysteries? It's fine for what it is, but it kind of staggering shows how inferior it is to the movie it's trying to follow-up. 

Not to mention that the tone is kind of off completely if this is to be believed. This looks to be the intro of the film, and it's pretty much your usual lighthearted tone. For the record, the original Zombie Island immediately showed how much darker it would be with it's intro being a parody of the Scooby Doo chases, only this time the monster is actually out for blood, takes a swipe at Fred, nearly flings Velma and Daphne off a castle to their deaths, and no-sells the door gag - 

I'm honestly just getting more and more disappointed as we get more info on this.

I can't even take that level of fairness, because like... it just looks like they're pulling A Land Before Time sequel move, where they halfheartedly try to recapture points from the original movie rather than creating a plot that is new and interesting in its own right.  Like, it doesn't even look terrible; just noticeably uninspired.

49 minutes ago, Tara said:

I can't even take that level of fairness, because like... it just looks like they're pulling A Land Before Time sequel move, where they halfheartedly try to recapture points from the original movie rather than creating a plot that is new and interesting in its own right.  Like, it doesn't even look terrible; just noticeably uninspired.

I mean, as I said, you'd need to really stretch to the realm of fairness with my above comparison, in that yes it's a half-hearted attempt to recapture one of the points of the original, but failing completely because it doesn't understand the narrative purpose, tone, atmosphere, or really anything that made the scene in the original really good.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they just messed up the name of the island, but I'm willing to give the benefit of a doubt and say maybe it's intentionally named that to hide away the history of Moonscar Island.

• Thumbs Up 2

That's a definite possibility.

I also found this from after the film was screened at SDCC 2019.

So it felt like OG Zombie Island & witches ghost, well I guess that's a good thing. But of course they don't go beyond that, so no idea if the monsters are real this time around or not. I guess we'll just have to wait & see.

47 minutes ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

That's a definite possibility.

I also found this from after the film was screened at SDCC 2019.

So it felt like OG Zombie Island & witches ghost, well I guess that's a good thing. But of course they don't go beyond that, so no idea if the monsters are real this time around or not. I guess we'll just have to wait & see.

X - Doubt

I seen that post, I gave some thought to the "change of pace" part. Either A: they actually mean the pacing of the film (probably Not likely) or B: it's the complete opposite of what they did with Curse of the 13th ghost. Who really knows though.

I'm reminded of when people were coming to the defense of the live action Sonic design before it was fully unveiled because a test screening in Brazil had people citing it as "cute."  I'm also a tad skeptical, given what we've seen.

I really need to go back and re-watch some of these old Scooby Doo movies I haven't seen in a while. Not just the original Zombie Island but especially the Witch's Ghost, which I only caught and saw the whole way through once. Every other time it came on it seemed like I could only catch bits and pieces of it. Also wanna go back and watch the Reluctant Werewolf, Boo Brothers, Ghoul School, and a few other things. 

Looking at this sequel bait, I'm kind of getting that feeling I usually get whenever I see a newer take on an old anime. You know how an older looking anime would have a sort of grimmy, gritter look and a ton of beautiful looking map paintings that take up the background while newer, often cheaper ones, would just have it so that everything is super clean and basic looking. Not the case with every new anime, obviously, but I look at something like Dragon Ball Super and the way it looks reminds me more of a digital coloring book.

I'm getting that feeling looking at this. It's atmosphere is incredibly basic and not taking advantage of the fact that it's nighttime at all. The color is blaring at you so hard despite the fact that it's supposed to be dark. The way they beat the monster in the clip is significantly less chaotic and despite how simple it looked, feels like it takes a lot longer too. 

Now they've got this Kids Bop song playing as they redo The Ghost is Here montage thing but far lazier and way less cool. 

I kind of wish I hadn't found out about this. 

I love cartoons but I especially loved horror themed movies based on my favorite cartoons too. Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet the Wolfman is also one I really liked. I hunted that down and got it as a package deal with the one where they Meet Frankenstein, which isn't as good but just as nostalgic.

If there's one bright side to this, it's made me appreciate how good the original was even more. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just found a few more things on the ITunes page. Not sure if it's worth noting though.

Now for some reason I couldn't find the clip that we recently got that was said to have came from ITunes.

13 hours ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

I just found a few more things on the ITunes page. Not sure if it's worth noting though.

Now for some reason I couldn't find the clip that we recently got that was said to have came from ITunes.

Whelp,

Spoiler

There are definitely Cat Cultists in this. A lot of em.

• Thumbs Up 1

I will at least give one positive.  I do quite like that DVD menu track (if that's what it is).  Though it for some reason reminds me more of Sandopolis, Act 2 than it does Zombie Island.

• Thumbs Up 1