Awoo.

Sonic Appears in OK K.O.! (Crossover Episode on August 4th)

Sonictrainer

So a 10 min episode crossover had more references than any birthday video? That's cool. Like, I can't believe even this was referenced:

Sonic_ride_3.png 

Hmm... Yeah, I may put it along my Sonic Mania Adventures Series and Team Sonic Racing Overdrive compilations. This was a cartoon I even knew it existed before this cross-over was announced and I don't think it's even aired on my country.

Even with just 16, I also grew up with most cartoons being 25 minutes like (For those more "complex/adult" like Simpsons and Futurama) and 10/13 min both on those more simpler (Fairly OddParents and Spongebob). But must say 10 min was nice for me, don't think I would watch it if was much more longer.

Yeah, pretty cool in overall, so much references and quality that is even hard to mention a problem. KO and Sonic were a bit annoying sometimes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I was partially right and partially wrong.  I was wrong that Sonic would be a dick here and was wrong that it wouldn’t be funny.  I quite enjoyed this.  However, I think I was quite right that it’s made for Sonic fans at the expense of people who don’t know about Sonic.  There were some good outsider-friendly jokes, like KO getting Wile-E Coyote-style injuries trying to spin-dash, but overall it’s a constant stream of things that just feel weird if you weren’t there for their inspiration.

On 7/31/2019 at 12:40 PM, Indigo Rush said:

I'm just happy that a generation of youngsters are going to be exposed to Sonic in an earnest and genuine way. What I saw lacks the cynicism present in Sonic Boom, which I think is a nice departure, and I do love me some Sonic Boom, don't get me wrong. It's just nice to see Sonic framed as a popular dude without it being too mean (sorry, Tails).

Sadly it’s pretty hard not to be cynical about Sonic.  Even if you have the same affection for it’s better moments that they’ve displayed here, for most of us that just made it hurt more when Sonic hit the really bad times.  

This series still has not recovered from 06, even if most of its games aren’t that putrid.  I will not consider it to have recovered until Sonic Team, or whoever these games now, concedes that multiple characters weren’t that game’s problem; releasing it unfinished was, and makes a 3D game with at least Tails and Knuckles playable, well-made.  Until then, this series will be haunted by the perception that it jumped the shark and is now running on fumes, as will many references.

8 hours ago, sonic 1-derful said:

again, it reinforces the idea that anyone can do what sonic does. that his abilities can be 'learned', and are not unique to him :( 

I’ll admit, I’m not a fan of that either.  Sonic’s abilities don’t have to be 100% unique to him, but balling up is the entire reason the hedgehog was chosen as the mascot for a speed-based platformer, as it allows him to attack while moving.  If any creature can do it, it undermines the strangely-brilliant whimsy of a hedgehog as a super-speed action hero.  It wasn’t a big deal to me in a surreal comedy cartoon, and let’s be real; KO will probably never spin-dash again, but I don’t like that direction being taken in Sonic Heroes, Sonic World, and the many ________ in Sonic the Hedgehog hacks.  Sonic characters should play more uniquely, provided they’re fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

It was okay, I guess. It was fun spotting references (and it's pretty impressive both how many they managed to cram in and how wide a net they cast with them) and the action/chase scene was neat (if unfortunately brief, but there's only so many minutes in an episode and so much money in the budget, so).

But I kinda...didn't really like Sonic and Tails much in it? This might sound a bit weird from me considering how I've talked about wanting Sonic to be a bit of a dick and how I like Tails feeling betrayed in Lost World, but I feel like they did the exact wrong versions of those things. The episode treats Sonic as basically being a celebrity, and I don't mind that coming from KO, but they have Sonic himself lean too much into it and he comes off as a bit too much of a self-absorbed jerk a few times, and not in a way I find entertaining. And Tails getting jealous of KO feels way more petty than what happened in Lost World, he just immediately gets pissed that Sonic's being at all nice to this kid, it doesn't really feel like the healthiest of relationships.

I'm still more glad that it exists than bothered by it on the whole, just, it's not really ranking particularly high on my list of favorite Sonic animations.

• Thumbs Up 1

One of my favorite deep cut jokes in the episode is Sonic going "He's the Wo-oooo-rst!"

That is a reference to Jean-Ralphio Saperstien a character from Parks and Recreations played by Ben Schwartz. They got a reference to the movie in there!

39 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

It was okay, I guess. It was fun spotting references (and it's pretty impressive both how many they managed to cram in and how wide a net they cast with them) and the action/chase scene was neat (if unfortunately brief, but there's only so many minutes in an episode and so much money in the budget, so).

But I kinda...didn't really like Sonic and Tails much in it? This might sound a bit weird from me considering how I've talked about wanting Sonic to be a bit of a dick and how I like Tails feeling betrayed in Lost World, but I feel like they did the exact wrong versions of those things. The episode treats Sonic as basically being a celebrity, and I don't mind that coming from KO, but they have Sonic himself lean too much into it and he comes off as a bit too much of a self-absorbed jerk a few times, and not in a way I find entertaining. And Tails getting jealous of KO feels way more petty than what happened in Lost World, he just immediately gets pissed that Sonic's being at all nice to this kid, it doesn't really feel like the healthiest of relationships.

I'm still more glad that it exists than bothered by it on the whole, just, it's not really ranking particularly high on my list of favorite Sonic animations.

I agree about Sonic being a bit too much of a dick...Just a tad. He had some moments to offset it, but some of the more cockiness stuff came off as more self absorbed like Eggman would be. I disagree about Tails though. He felt that way, but he didn't let it hinder the situation. He helped KO keep up, helped KO spin dash, etc. It'd feel bad if he just refused to help KO to prove he was the better sidekick or something. But instead he put the situation over his feelngs. So while we had that tired sub plot, it was done in a way to not make Tails look like a total asshat like in Lost World. It gives him immaturity but without going too far with it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Is there anyway to watch this in the UK? Been trying to Google it but can't seem to find a way, outside of getting Sky.

12 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

I disagree about Tails though. He felt that way, but he didn't let it hinder the situation. He helped KO keep up, helped KO spin dash, etc. It'd feel bad if he just refused to help KO to prove he was the better sidekick or something. But instead he put the situation over his feelngs. So while we had that tired sub plot, it was done in a way to not make Tails look like a total asshat like in Lost World. It gives him immaturity but without going too far with it.

Ehhh I don't feel like that really helps, because it just means his jealously didn't even serve a narrative purpose. He just mutters about it from time to time in between being ordinarily friendly. It's like they wanted him involved for the flashback/encouragement scene but couldn't think of much else to do with him so they just had him be emotionally needy as filler. Say what you want about Lost World Tails but they actually had a story to tell with him.

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

Ehhh I don't feel like that really helps, because it just means his jealously didn't even serve a narrative purpose. He just mutters about it from time to time in between being ordinarily friendly. It's like they wanted him involved for the flashback/encouragement scene but couldn't think of much else to do with him so they just had him be emotionally needy as filler. Say what you want about Lost World Tails but they actually had a story to tell with him.

I suppose, but honestly it's for the better. I think it not being the main point and how he tackles it to be better for him than what Lost World did and I wouldn't say Lost World had a story to tell with him...more like an idea that was barely cooked that was just thrown in onto the main side dish cause why not. But I get what you mean. For all of 10 minutes they had, I think they did it well.

How would you have handled this in a way that works, but also doesn't just end up pissing everyone off like in Lost World?

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

How would you have handled this in a way that works, but also doesn't just end up pissing everyone off like in Lost World?

I really just wouldn't do it at all here. I don't think it makes much sense for Tails to get jealous just because Sonic's being friendly to some kid they just met, and in an ~11 minute cartoon with other things to handle first there isn't really time to develop it into something meaningful anyway. And the things I liked about it in Lost World are the things most everyone else seems to hate so even under better circumstances I'm not sure what I could do to please people.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not watched the episode yet, but judging from the previews it all still looks good to me! And personally Sonic acting like a good nature egotistical brat is always how I saw his true personality, it is especially how I saw Sonic from the 90s, and we all loved him for it. I never was a fan of SonicTeam randomly watering Sonic down into more of a generic shounen type hero MC later on in the 2000s. However some of the modern games & media seems to be trying to fix that problem little thankfully.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I really just wouldn't do it at all here. I don't think it makes much sense for Tails to get jealous just because Sonic's being friendly to some kid they just met, and in an ~11 minute cartoon with other things to handle first there isn't really time to develop it into something meaningful anyway. And the things I liked about it in Lost World are the things most everyone else seems to hate so even under better circumstances I'm not sure what I could do to please people.

Ah well fair enough. I don't mind it as it gives him a character flaw as well as shows he may be smart but immature. I see where you're getting at though.

I still think they took Sonic a bit too much into a blowhard. Feels too much like Eggman to me. As well as making me question too much why people would like him if he's in love with himself. I liked it sometimes when it was funny, like him being a bad teacher and just lounging til KO gets it, as well as falling asleep bored. But other times it comes off as too much like when his pal is getting recognition for once and not him so he gets fed up. I'd think he'd be proud, or if we wanted to throw in some attitude just take some credit with Tails skills as his teacher. Like how he did with KO despite not teaching him jack shit which was funny.

10 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

I still think they took Sonic a bit too much into a blowhard. Feels too much like Eggman to me. As well as making me question too much why people would like him if he's in love with himself.

Some people are fans of cool egotistical characters, myself included. I mean look no farther then Eggman himself... he has a lot of fans, he might be a villain true... but that doesn't excuse the fact certain people just love those type of character traits in general regardless if the character is a hero or villain.

1 minute ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Some people are fans of cool egotistical characters, myself included. I mean look no farther then Eggman himself... he has a lot of fans, he might be a villain true... but that doesn't excuse some people just love that type of character traits in general.

Oh no don't get me wrong. You can like that if you want to. That's ok. Hell there's so many Sonic's to chose from. I just feel he shouldn't be as blow hardy as Eggman honestly. With how he is as of late I get the feeling he'd build Sonic Land himself haha.

Yeah Eggman's a villain...he's supposed to be full of himself and only think of how great he is and proving it. Sonic though...well pick your poison he's either a blowhard, a shonen hero, an action hero, a cutesy type, a jerk, or probably a lot more depending on which Sonic ya pick.

3 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Even in a cute crossover like this, we still have to argue about our "ideal" versions of the characters lol. Its never going to end is it.

Anyway, this was very cute and fun which is what I was mainly expecting. I don't watch KO much (though I might change that now), but I can tell the creators truly love the series and respect it's prestige with how many references they packed in. Like goddamn, there's one almost every minute but subtle enough that only long time fans would understand them while still being coherent. 

Sonic & Tails were very fun here, and I feel the difference between how they're written here and how they've been written in the games is just a level of sincerity and the presence of KO kind of enhances that. In the games, they're just kind of going through the motions and reacting to everything with a very dry and lackadaisical attitude and the one time they did try to add some conflict, it fell flat and unconvincing.

Here, it feels much more genuine and reaches a much more satisfying conclusion. The presence of KO means Sonic & Tails have someone else to actually bounce their characters off of, which makes for a much more interesting dynamic. We've seen Sonic & Tails together forever, so it was nice to have somebody included into that dynamic and kind of change it in a way that makes it different. Yes, Tails getting randomly jealous by some new kid is a bit contrived, but the story doesn't reward Tails for his jealousy like it did in Lost World and he doesn't let his jealousy get in the way of doing the right thing, which makes him much more likable here than in Lost World. 

Sonic...doesn't actually act much different hilariously, it's just that his over inflated ego is compounded by KO fanboying over him, so Sonic himself comes off as less of a joke and more of an actual celebrated hero with status, so of fucking course he'd let it go to his head. It works for me because Sonic is still genuinely heroic even with an inflated ego; he's too full of himself to actually mentor KO properly (and Tails has to pick up his slack), but when the chips were down, he's still a hero (Jumping to save KO despite not knowing how to swim). Things like that make him feel like a flawed but still a righteous hero. He even reassured Tails that he'll always be his partner. 

I know everyone has their own ideals on these characters should be written, but I was really satisfied with this overall.

Hey don't get me wrong I'm overall satisfied too. My complaints were merely gripes. Nothing that ruined anything. It was fun and cute stuff. I still standby what I said of Sonic, but this is a show that's also focused on comedy, so I understand the route they went with him. None of it were deal breakers in any way and it was a true love letter that we don't really get often anymore. I think the overall layout and way it played out was solid. I really wouldn't change that much of what was there other than maybe a few little tweaks. That really shows how pretty satisfied I am. I went in worried and came out feeling like this was a winner.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:01 PM, DabigRG said:

Isn't there a character that legit has the young version's shoe colors?

Faded yellow rendition of Sonic's shoes? That is reminiscent of Uncle Chuck.

Man, I can't believe Jim Cummings is still in the voice acting game! That's a delight in and of itself.

Having just watched it, I'm surprised noone is complaining about Knuckles being super gullible yet again. 😝

In all serious though, I really like it. I mean, I feel like you need to take it for what it is. And for what it is, I think it is really good. Sonic and Tails are both likable, there is clearly love poured into this from Sonic fans. Hell, I like the fact that KO isn't the one who saves the day, but needs to be saved from by Sonic, and then both of them need to be saved by Tails. I find it funny how it feels almost like Tails is the one who gets the biggest moment of the episode.

I just really like it. It's having fun with Sonic and Tails. Sure, it exagerrates Sonic a bit, but I think for an 11 minute comedy show, I think it is fully justified. And in a way, it almost makes this Sonic more in line with his Boom characterisation than anything IMHO.

It's fun, put simply, and it's made with love for the franchise, not to mock or parody it. A nice treat for Sonic fans.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hilariously, this episode does a much better job on balancing out Sonic & Tails in terms of competence. Ever since Unleashed, Tails has been next to useless with almost no meaningful influence at all , and Sonic is doing all of the heavy lifting. Here, it's clear that while Sonic is the superior of the two, Tails has to pick up where he slacks, generally on the social part of things. Sonic is too full of himself to understand on how to properly mentor somebody, so Tails, being much more humble, is able to communicate on what exactly KO needs to do to succeed. 

And of course, saving him when he drowned. I dunno, their dynamic cuz off as much balanced and therefore much more entertaining than it does in the games. 

• Thumbs Up 8