Awoo.

Sonic: The Shadow World | The 2005 Undeveloped Pitch

Badnik Mechanic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkenRXh1odg

So the guy who reveled a screen from the cancelled PSP game Sonic Origins has revealed details surrounding another cancelled Sonic PSP title called Sonic: The Shadow World.

The game never made it past pitch state. But from what we get from the pitch is that the game was pitched by Climax and described the game as being the polar opposite to what is normally found in a Sonic game.

The plot is that Sonic becomes trapped in the Shadow World (which is home to Sonic' nemesis Shadow (yes THAT Shadow)) and must escape.

Instead of lush green tropical lands, lava and dead trees would surround the player. Sonic would battle creatures not badniks.

Multiple modes planned.

Shadow & Sonic playable.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Man who could imagine a game where Sonic's running around in dead, lava-filled environments fighting monsters.

OgqcneJ.jpg

Oh.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3
  • Too Many Rings 1

Is this perhaps the origins of Sonic Boom? I could see why this was ditched, as it went against Shadow's lore. But the concepts in it were interesting.

The Shadow World?

Wow, what an amazing idea.

I would love to that have exist.

How would Sonic get into da Shadow world?

What would it consist of and would it actually be interesting?

I wonder if anyone else would appear in the game.

Stuff about things in the Sonic World.

Seems like it this would've been the canon version of Sonic.EXE. If I were in charge of this, I personally would've done a mechanic where Sonic can jump between Sonic's World and Shadow's World in the same level similar to Sonic CD and an Ordinary Sonic Hack. 

Other than that, I feel Shadow the Hedgehog did enough to fulfill using Shadow to bring a more edgy and scary side to Sonic. So that makes this seem a tad redundant, especally when ShTH also has gloomy landscapes and demonic enemies. And of course, this was the time we all started complain how Sonic was becoming too serious and Shadow focused, so this game wouldn't have helped at all.

And there's no need to worry about making Shadow's lore consistent when we have Blaze and Eggman Nega's two backstories. 

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, SupahBerry said:

Seems like it this would've been the canon version of Sonic.EXE. If I were in charge of this, I personally would've done a mechanic where Sonic can jump between Sonic's World and Shadow's World in the same level similar to Sonic CD and an Ordinary Sonic Hack. 

Other than that, I feel Shadow the Hedgehog did enough to fulfill using Shadow to bring a more edgy and scary side to Sonic. So that makes this seem a tad redundant, especally when ShTH also has gloomy landscapes and demonic enemies. And of course, this was the time we all started complain how Sonic was becoming too serious and Shadow focused, so this game wouldn't have helped at all.

And there's no need to worry about making Shadow's lore consistent when we have Blaze and Eggman Nega's two backstories. 

And even THAT is quaint compared to what we have thanks to Forces.

...Yeah, this sounds like everything that I wouldn’t want from a Sonic game. I mean sure, that’s the whole point of the pitch, but I don’t think anyone was asking for a Sonic game that aimed to not be a Sonic game. 3D Sonic games aren’t often criticized for their non-Soniclike aspects for no reason, you know? Add on the fact it would have been developed by a company not really known for anything spectacular and it’s no wonder why nothing came of it.

It’s weird how this only now surfaced, though. You’d think something like this would have been discovered years ago.

• Thumbs Up 3

If it's a game where everything's not like Sonic than I'd like for Tails to be the main villain.

He needs a monocle and to be carrying around a glass of brandy wherever he goes, fighting against the forces of good, the great Hero Dr. Egg-Hero.

As for this game though, would it have been dark and lava filled like 06 or would it have been dark and lava filled like the Ifrit fight in the Rivals games?

I literally have two questions.

• Thumbs Up 1

Everything about this sounds so absolutely awful on every conceivable level it's utterly hilarious.

• Thumbs Up 3

29 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

If it's a game where everything's not like Sonic than I'd like for Tails to be the main villain.

He needs a monocle and to be carrying around a glass of brandy wherever he goes, fighting against the forces of good, the great Hero Dr. Egg-Hero.

As for this game though, would it have been dark and lava filled like 06 or would it have been dark and lava filled like the Ifrit fight in the Rivals games?

I literally have two questions.

Isn't that just the Miles the anti tails from the comic's?

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

Isn't that just the Miles the anti tails from the comic's?

No. He didn't have any of what I described there. He's also got that shitty tuff of gray hair on his head that makes him look like an old man.

If Tails is gonna be a main villain he needs to look adorable dammit.

• Chuckle 2
  • Absolutely 1

Now I'm just curious what the heck a "Shadow's world" is.

Did Shadow inherit Space Colony arc and is now a gardener cultivating a dead wasteland landscape in there?
Is Shadow suddenly God who can create his own planet?
Is Sonic sucked into Shadow's brain?
Did Shadow buy a house on an dark and edgey island and declare himself ruler of the land?
Is this a retcon where the whole Space Colony ark backstory is thrown in the garbage and now Shadow's from his own evil dimension? Does every Sonic character have his/ her own dimension in this story? Did Sonic schoolhouse take place in Omo chao's dimension?

I know it's probably just the flat surface level concept idea and if the game was ever finished, I doubt they would have called it "Shadow's world"  It would have been just Some location that happens to fit with Shadow's personality. But still, the way it's written sounds so funny/ interesting.
Not to mention the equally stupid "Sonic's world" is freaking canon.

Climax entertainment huh? From Landstalker/ Super Runabout. A Sonic game in that style. Sounds interesting.
Alas. We got Sonic rivals instead.

And interesting how many of these "Let's make a Sonic game that's utterly Not a Sonic game in tone and atmosphere" ideas were floating around in the mid 2000's.
Cultural zeitgeist I guess.

• Thumbs Up 3

49 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Did Shadow inherit Space Colony arc and is now a gardener cultivating a dead wasteland landscape in there?
Is Shadow suddenly God who can create his own planet?
Is Sonic sucked into Shadow's brain?
Did Shadow buy a house on an dark and edgey island and declare himself ruler of the land?
Is this a retcon where the whole Space Colony ark backstory is thrown in the garbage and now Shadow's from his own evil dimension? Does every Sonic character have his/ her own dimension in this story? Did Sonic schoolhouse take place in Omo chao's dimension?

I know it's probably just the flat surface level concept idea and if the game was ever finished, I doubt they would have called it "Shadow's world"  It would have been just Some location that happens to fit with Shadow's personality. But still, the way it's written sounds so funny/ interesting.
Not to mention the equally stupid "Sonic's world" is freaking canon.

Climax entertainment huh? From Landstalker/ Super Runabout. A Sonic game in that style. Sounds interesting.
Alas. We got Sonic rivals instead.

And interesting how many of these "Let's make a Sonic game that's utterly Not a Sonic game in tone and atmosphere" ideas were floating around in the mid 2000's.
Cultural zeitgeist I guess.

Maybe Shadow Androids survived the purge of Heroes/Shadow the game and formed their own empire of Shadow, to overshadow the world by rebuilding their army in the name of Maria, who due to their damaged circuitry and broken memories has been deified and now whispers in their ear to destroy ALL who do not HAIL SHADOW!

...I'm being dumb, don't take this seriously.

23 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Maybe Shadow Androids survived the purge of Heroes/Shadow the game and formed their own empire of Shadow, to overshadow the world by rebuilding their army in the name of Maria, who due to their damaged circuitry and broken memories has been deified and now whispers in their ear to destroy ALL who do not HAIL SHADOW!

Hey, at least that would actually be cool.

Fully realized and restrained.

11 hours ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

I’ll just go with the “inside Shadow’s brain” story. It would probably explain all the creatures. 

the youtube video had an interesting comment i saw

Sounds interesting, the Shadow world concept could still work scrap Shadow being from there, just reuse the Beta designs of Shadow & Blaze making them new characters with a new enemy pulling the strings, it could definitely work, just have him brought in like Black Knight, or sent there by Eggman, or something like that. It sounds like a good idea to be wasted, and would be a nice change of pace at the moment.

i've always found beta designs very interesting in many series, also thse fact that their designs go with the weird dark theme they had lol

• Thumbs Up 1

Sounds incredibly gross, honestly.

2005 was a weird year of Shadow and bad ideas, huh? Well, at least this one was shot down.

• Thumbs Up 2

So if this would’ve been picked up Shadow would be an experimental hedgehog, but also an alien, who thought he was a robot but then wasn’t, meant to destroy and also save the Earth, but also he’s a super soldier, but also he’s from the Shadow dimension. I got it. I got it now.

Well it’s good they didn’t ruin his backstory with this game then.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

On 7/29/2019 at 8:09 AM, Roger_van_der_weide said:

It's his world
where strife is strong
In his world
Life is often crooked
In this world
Where compromise really doesn't not exist

Never fear the fall of the ARK!

...I regret nothing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

I'm kinda thinking whoever came up with this just knew that Shadow was Sonic's dark edgy rival and had no idea of anything else, and just assumed Shadow came from his own evil doppelgänger land.