Awoo.

Birds of Prey (2020)- Suicide Squad spin-off

Graystripe2000

An upcoming DCEU film featuring Harley Quinn, set to release February 2020, apparently a spin-off of Suicide Squad. No trailer yet, but apparently some details leaked so, spoilers (if it’s true)? 

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/birds-of-prey-script-leaked-and-2033930/

We do have a teaser from January, though. 

Got excited at the notion of a Birds of Prey movie.  Then I saw the "Suicide Squad Spin-Off" addition.

I guess WB wasn't content with just one terrible movie.

Spoiler

From the alleged leak-

"-black mask is gay and loves art, has a crush on victor zsasz

-Cassandra Cain stole and swallowed black masks diamond, which has his d*ck pics on it"

I... wha....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is the Harley Quinn movie in all but name. The others got no scenes to themselves in that trailer LOL

The Birds of Prey movie trailer had like 5% of the actual Bird of Prey stuff. 

Honestly, I like Harley, but why didn’t they just make a solo Harley movie instead? Like, half of the stuff shown didn’t even look right so I don’t see why it needed to be Birds of Prey. Cassandra Cain seems completely off, considering she’s meant to be a silent character, to the point I didn’t even realise that was meant to be her.

Black Mask is also the villain apparently, which I had no idea about even after watching the trailer, he didn’t seem right at all.

Not bad, I guess. Just based on this trailer alone, though, I wonder why it’s even called “Birds of Prey”.

A load of overly edgy nonsense.  This films falls into the same pitfalls as Suicide Squad.  It's trying WAY too hard to be what it wants to be.  Kinda hard to believe Harley started out once upon a time as an endearing comedic villain/anti-hero and not some super irritating Deadpool archetype.

I’m seeing some people in IGN’s comment section complain that there may be some bad editing in the trailer. Does anyone here feel the same way?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I’m note sure if I’d call the movie a flop, since it’s made $81 million worldwide on an $85-97 million budget, buuuuut it DID underperform. 

https://deadline.com/2020/02/birds-of-prey-weekend-box-office-margot-robbie-1202853768/

https://deadline.com/2020/02/birds-of-prey-opening-weekend-warner-bros-dc-global-international-box-office-coronavirus-1202853998/

81 million worldwide means the studio has gotten maybe 40 so far. Plus you have to consider if the movie dramatically underperforms, it can seriously hurt the company behind it even if it technically turns a profit; since due to Hollywood Accounting money that was assumed would be there based on the expected success of the movie was already spent on something else even though the money ultimately doesn't end up existing.

Put another way, heads rolled at Sony over Amazing SonyMan 2, and estimates peg that as turning 70 million in profit after everything was paid for. Why? Because Sony expected a windfall significantly higher than that of the first movie, and had already started pumping money into sequels to it; and then the final gross was way less.

It's a shame people are so iffy about this movie, saw it the other day and really enjoyed it.  It takes a little while to get going - the first half didn't make me laugh all that much and was a bit laden with some things that have gotten a bit tropey for this style of movie (every character getting introduced with a freeze frame and implied hand-written quirky "notes" from Harley as she narrates etc, or the way the plot keeps doing a "oh whoops I should probably explain why this happened" after a sudden occurance and then time winding back a bit - although while the framing is a bit of the cliché, the non-linear narrative does work well).  But... yeah once the movie got going it was really good, I laughed a LOT during the second half, the fight scenes were suitably wacky and fun, and the characters are incredibly likeable despite being mostly awful people.

The only thing I will say is that marketing this as "birds of prey" was definitely a mistake - it is Harley's movie first and foremost, and the amount of screentime each main character gets can be pretty distinctly ranked. It's best to go in just expecting "a story" where each character is as important as they need to be, rather than assuming it's gonna be a proper ensemble cast movie.

For the record, I don't really consider myself a DC comics fan much and didn't watch Suicide Squad.  So no attachment to that movie is necessary to enjoy.  Hell it's probably better since you can pretend the Joker Harley is referring to is one of the good ones and not the cringy one from SS.

• Thumbs Up 1

Saw this yesterday and it was a lot of fun!

My criticisms are pretty much the same as above. The name of the movie is misleading. Good thing they've now changed it but it's probably already too late. I wish we got more scenes with everyone together. The storytelling is eratic. It uses the same kind of "want to know how I got here?" sequences you'd normally expect to go on for half or more of a movie, like the Sonic movie, for "short term" flashbacks. I actually forgot one of the flashbacks was supposed to be one until it came full circle.

Other than that, I loved this movie ^^ I loved all the characters, the action sequences were great with some nice references found throughout and the jokes landed pretty much most of the time for me ^^ Not the best DC movie but it's a good movie definitely worth going to see ^^

I ended up seeing this a few days ago as part of an excuse to go out for a while. It was eh; one of those movies that gets better as it goes, but seemingly does so little by little per act.

I was wondering why this movie was underperforming according to a headline, but ignoring things like contentious creative liberties, the wrong sociopolitical message getting rumored, or the R rating being strict, I unfortunately see a little of why. 

On 8/3/2019 at 6:23 PM, Tara said:

Hide contents

-Cassandra Cain stole and swallowed black masks diamond, which has his d*ck pics on it"

I... wha....

Well ain't that subliminal.