Awoo.

What I think's best for Tails

Owen Deane

As our favorite little fox cub has been getting tons of hate after Forces,
I've been thinking that maybe it's for the best that he gives up adventuring all together, and becomes a school student.

I think this would be logical, considering his nerd/geek personality.

As he's unusually more intelligent than a typical 8 year old, perhaps High, Middle school, or even college would be better suited for him.

Do you agree, or disagree, and if so, why?

For a series all about adventure, school counteracts that and chains a character to one place. Tails is far too clever for it to be of any use to him, too.

As he’ll always follow Sonic, giving up adventuring seems like a silly idea. And there’s no reason to do this after a poor portrayal in one game (he’d have been out after Lost World if so).

• Thumbs Up 2

Also, Tails is smart enough to teach at his own school.

Maybe it's time Tails gets a sidekick.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

Do Sonic characters even go to school? Like...Amy lives by herself in an apartment. Charmy like...works at a job.

4 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Tails needs a drop off.

You know.

What do you mean by that? Someone to take him to school?

As someone who wants Tails to have his own series, I couldn't agree less.

On 8/5/2019 at 10:29 PM, Owen Deane said:

I've been thinking that maybe it's for the best that he gives up adventuring all together, and becomes a school student.

What is this I don't even

I really don't understand where you're coming from here. Does this mean Tails' levels consist of pop quizzes, homework and math puzzles? Because I don't think this is the sort of thing people play Sonic games for.

The primary demographic for Sonic games are kids. Kids have to go to school. Don't you think kids would rather not be placed in a virtual environment that represents the very thing they need to do every weekday? 

Tails is Sonic's sidekick, people want him to be involved in the fight against Dr Robotnik, we should keep it that way. 

• Thumbs Up 3

12 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

The primary demographic for Sonic games are kids. Kids have to go to school. Don't you think kids would rather not be placed in a virtual environment that represents the very thing they need to do every weekday?

I do agree with you... However stuff like anime devs seems to think otherwise. The logic I hear behind why there is so MANY school themed anime is because people believe whoever watching those stories think viewers can relate to them better as they have something in common. It seems absurd to me... because as you said, why would somebody want to watch a story that just mirrors their own dull life? I have no idea as I don't enjoy fiction in order to reflect on my own life.

Just now, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I do agree with you... However stuff like anime devs seems to think otherwise. The logic I hear behind why there is so MANY school themed anime is because people believe whoever watching those stories think viewers can relate them better as they have something in common. It seems absurd to me... because as you said, why would somebody want to watch a story that just mirrors their own dull life? I have no idea.

I considered that, but the difference is that school is the setting, but the things that happen or the gameplay situations don't really revolve around studying or taking tests. A game like Persona has high school as a backdrop, but that's all it ever is, but it's also aimed towards teenagers and young adults who are more interested in the social dynamics and relationships that occur in that setting.

Sonic, though? That's not a young adult series, it's E for everyone. Kids are going to be the primary demographic, and they aren't going to give a hoot about going to school; and usually when school is involved, it's not seen as a positive environment anyway. What's the point of Tails going to school if all the action is going to take place somewhere else? Is it just a holding cell for Tails to be stuck in while Sonic and the rest are off fighting evil robots? Is Tails even on screen at this point? The kid flies Sonic's plane and rewires Robotnik's mechs, I think he's probably forged a doctor's note anyway.

This idea just isn't well thought out. It does not add anything. Maybe if Tails used to go to school before he met Sonic? Even then, it's such a mundane concept for a fantasy series, I don't think it's worth getting into. This is something for Cream the Rabbit, not the secondary hero.

6 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

This is something for Cream the Rabbit, not the secondary hero.

Cream's the smart one though, she's home schooled.

She's also social.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

As someone who wants Tails to have his own series, I couldn't agree less.

Nice to hear that. After how Tails has been in games like Unleashed and Forces, what with not being able to fight or even look after himself, it seems school/college is the best move for the small child, and I'm sure Sonic would want the same, since he looks out for Tails like a little brother.

10 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

I considered that, but the difference is that school is the setting, but the things that happen or the gameplay situations don't really revolve around studying or taking tests. A game like Persona has high school as a backdrop, but that's all it ever is, but it's also aimed towards teenagers and young adults who are more interested in the social dynamics and relationships that occur in that setting.

Sonic, though? That's not a young adult series, it's E for everyone. Kids are going to be the primary demographic, and they aren't going to give a hoot about going to school; and usually when school is involved, it's not seen as a positive environment anyway. What's the point of Tails going to school if all the action is going to take place somewhere else? Is it just a holding cell for Tails to be stuck in while Sonic and the rest are off fighting evil robots? Is Tails even on screen at this point? The kid flies Sonic's plane and rewires Robotnik's mechs, I think he's probably forged a doctor's note anyway.

This idea just isn't well thought out. It does not add anything. Maybe if Tails used to go to school before he met Sonic? Even then, it's such a mundane concept for a fantasy series, I don't think it's worth getting into. This is something for Cream the Rabbit, not the secondary hero.

I think you've forgotten that Sonic's schoolhouse exists. Tails could still be on-screen, but in cutscene form, no gameplay at all. Or he could have his own spin-off game, similar to Schoolhouse.

Sonic Schoolhouse exists...

Oh snap, that educational game for toddlers?

An 8 year old Kitsune named Miles Prower definitely belongs there.

9 minutes ago, Owen Deane said:

Nice to hear that. After how Tails has been in games like Unleashed and Forces, what with not being able to fight or even look after himself, it seems school/college is the best move for the small child, and I'm sure Sonic would want the same, since he looks out for Tails like a little brother.

I think you've forgotten that Sonic's schoolhouse exists. Tails could still be on-screen, but in cutscene form, no gameplay at all. Or he could have his own spin-off game, similar to Schoolhouse.

I also think you've forgotten about a certain period in the Archie comics where Sonic and Co. went to school. In another issue (136, I think?) Tails was seen studying for finals, and looked very relaxed while doing so. 

7 minutes ago, Owen Deane said:

Sonic's Schoolhouse is not exactly a beloved classic, my friend. I really don't think you've given this a lot of thought. This is more of a fan-fiction scenario than a compelling set-up for a good story to drive the gameplay. People like Tails, they want him to be involved, and he can't be involved if he's locked away in social studies. This would be a gimmick for a Sonic Boom episode, if anything. 

This will ultimately detract from the charm of the series; two friends traveling across the world to stop a mad scientists from enslaving it all. There is no room for a classroom sub-plot. 

Just now, Owen Deane said:

I also think you've forgotten about a certain period in the Archie comics where Sonic and Co. went to school. In another issue (136, I think?) Tails was seen studying for finals, and looked very relaxed while doing so. 

That was from the one of the worst eras of Archie Sonic (even then, it was a gimmicky story arc that went nowhere), I really don't think you're helping your case here.

• Fist Bump 1

Agreed, if this idea is ever used it’s better in an episodic style, like how Amy opens a restaurant in a Boom episode. I could also see it as a very Pontaff type throwaway line about Tails taking online classes at the University of whatever. And how he finished a two week course in two days, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Sonic's Schoolhouse is not exactly a beloved classic, my friend. I really don't think you've given this a lot of thought. This is more of a fan-fiction scenario than a compelling set-up for a good story to drive the gameplay. People like Tails, they want him to be involved, and he can't be involved if he's locked away in social studies. This would be a gimmick for a Sonic Boom episode, if anything. 

This will ultimately detract from the charm of the series; two friends traveling across the world to stop a mad scientists from enslaving it all. There is no room for a classroom sub-plot. 

That was from the one of the worst eras of Archie Sonic (even then, it was a gimmicky story arc that went nowhere), I really don't think you're helping your case here.

"People like Tails, they want him to be involved."

Yeah, and potential kill himself in the process, having their hopes backfire. I find those people a little narrow minded and selfish for my tastes. They just seem to be thinking about what they want instead of looking at this from a different perspective and considering what's best for Tails. He's only 8 years old after all. You can argue Charmy all you want, what with him being 2 years younger and that, but he's proven he can defend himself multiple times, such as in Sonic Heroes. Plus, he has a paid job as a detective - Remember "We never turn down work that pays.", per chance? - so he definitely doesn't need school. 

9 minutes ago, Owen Deane said:

I find those people a little narrow minded and selfish for my tastes.

Because this is what matters here...apparently?

What are you even saying?