Awoo.

My hope for Cream's future

Owen Deane

I hope one day, Eggman successfully captures Cream, and turns her into a robot minion of his. 

Before you leave the blog, or send a comment like "HOW COULD YOU??! GO FUCK YOURSELF!!!", let me explain;

I like Cream as a stand alone character, as well as rabbits in general, but (provided you're familiar with her personality) I don't feel like she fits into the Sonic franchise very well;

1. She doesn't physically fight, like, at all. Before you bring up Cheese, he's just a companion who does the fighting for the bunny. On top of this, I read on Sonic Retro.com that Sega said Cream doesn't fight because it would ruin her reputation as a little girl. 

2. Cries as often as an infant. "But she's just six!" I hear you shout. Well, fair enough I suppose, but look at Charmey and Marine; the former is also six, and while pretty whiny (e.g. "Let me try!" "Let me go, I wanna play!"), he's part of a gosh darn detective agency, and, being a bee, has a physical stinging attack. 
As for the latter, she's only one year older than Cream, hasn't shed a single tear (from what I've seen anyway), and is more in depth then the rabbit, what with having an ambition of becoming a pirate and much more out-going by comparison.

3. Gets kidnapped quite a lot, including her debut (Advance 2), and the first two Sonic X episodes. First impression is key, and I don't think this would intrigue much consumers; they'd probably just be like "😴 another damsel in distress, how original(!)"

4. Speaks in a somewhat "Goo Ga Chu" way, addressing everyone as "Mr." or "Miss", and even addressingher mother Vanilla as "Mama", such as in X and Free Riders. Again, you can type "she's only six" until your fingers hurt, but Charmey, also being 6, doesn't have that voice, and doesn't refer to his comrades as "Mr." or "Miss", making him fit in more as a Sonic character.

5. Is far too innocent, cutesy and happy-go-lucky for her own good, that she'd boardaline feel right at home in a pre-school show like Teletubies, Dora, Barney, Care Bears, or something along those lines, adding to my "Goo Ga Chu" point I made earlier. 

In conclusion, she's pretty useless and unfitting for the Sonic series in her current state to me. But I think a little Robotisization treatment from Eggman can help fix that problem, as she wouldn't just be (subjectively I suppose) more interesting as a character, but the series will have a new villain, which I think will be a breath of fresh air, considering there's far too many heroes to count. I'm not against the character roster like some other people, but I think a new reacurring villain would add a nice twist to this series. 

Plus, I think "Cream The Robot" has a cooler ring to it, and that's what the Sonic series was supposed to be from day one, the Anti-Mario. Hell, she might even be a little more competent than Orbot and Cubot or Infinite. 

Let me know your thoughts in the comments below.

41 minutes ago, Owen Deane said:

I hope one day, Eggman successfully captures Cream, and turns her into a robot minion of his.

He tried already. It failed

1. She doesn't physically fight, like, at all.

Sonic Advance 2 & 3, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Battle, Shadow the Hedgehog, SEGA Heroes...

2. Cries as often as an infant. "But she's just six!" I hear you shout. Well, fair enough I suppose, but look at Charmey and Marine

Charmy and Marine have cried before.

Charmy has also recently been turned into a robot by Eggman

3. Gets kidnapped quite a lot, including her debut (Advance 2), and the first two Sonic X episodes. First impression is key, and I don't think this would intrigue much consumers; they'd probably just be like "😴 another damsel in distress, how original(!)"

Tails was kidnapped in the 8-bit version of Sonic 2 and Amy was kidnapped in Sonic CD

5. Is far too innocent, cutesy and happy-go-lucky for her own good, that she'd boardaline feel right at home in a pre-school show like Teletubies, Dora, Barney, Care Bears, or something along those lines, adding to my "Goo Ga Chu" point I made earlier. 

n0xQwb9K1GuOJyfaQhpakvAOgTMJk6OpcdaqCDfi

Plus, I think "Cream The Robot"

Oh, I see. You just want Bunnie Rabbot in the Main Series.

255?cb=20140510064212

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

3 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

He tried already. It failed

Sonic Advance 2 & 3, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Battle, Shadow the Hedgehog, SEGA Heroes...

Charmy and Marine have cried before.

Charmy has also recently been turned into a robot by Eggman

Tails was kidnapped in the 8-bit version of Sonic 2 and Amy was kidnapped in Sonic CD

n0xQwb9K1GuOJyfaQhpakvAOgTMJk6OpcdaqCDfi

Oh, I see. You just want Bunnie Rabbot in the Main Series.

255?cb=20140510064212

The comic page you showed both holds water, but doesn't at the same time; On one hand, it shows there's more to Cream then meets the eye, but on the other hand, what she did, while noble, was pretty foolish, because the kid got snatched by a villain, adding to my kidnapping point.

Sonictrainer, what are your thoughts on my 4th point?

Cream would be better suited to search and rescue. 

1. This would make her more interesting, whilst keeping her away from fighting, but still keeping her "eager to help" persona going. 

2. Teamwork with Cheese and Gemerl. Cheese would be good for small areas, whilst Gemerl would deal with the heavy lifting. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I said this on Reddit already, but there are better ways to give Cream a more active role than robotizing her.

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

...So yo just want cream to be Bunnie?

Not really. Just for her to be 100% robot, unlike Bunnie Rabbot, and perhaps even one of Eggman's robot minions, since we don't get a whole lot of villains.

Ooh, so edgy. 

Reminds me of that one video talking about Mighty as a sleazy billionaire.. 

51 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

...So yo just want cream to be Bunnie?

That's sorta what it sounds. 

"I wonder if there has ever been a character in the series who is, get this, a rabbit and a robot. then ehs can fight eggman and doesn't afraid of anything"

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 3

If you don't think Cream fits well in the series she can just stop showing up, instead of having her change into something completely different.

2 hours ago, Owen Deane said:

since we don't get a whole lot of villains.

We have plenty villains and antiheroes to work with. Too many, I'd wager.

No need to mutilate an innocuous NPC to add to the already expansive rogue's gallery. 

Image result for sonic mania hooligans art

Image result for sonic forces villains

Image result for deadly six

Image result for hard boiled heavies

Guarantee you I missed a few others.

I don't understand why you think this is a good idea. Like your "Tails going to school" idea, it doesn't work at all. Maybe as part of a bigger "Eggman is roboticizing all of Sonic's friends en masse" plot, but like... making a huge arc with this one character? Just because you find her voice to be annoying? Because shes "too innocent for her own good?" No idea what your deal is, but I'm starting to think you're a troll. 

• Fist Bump 2

1 minute ago, Indigo Rush said:

We have plenty villains and antiheroes to work with. No need to mutilate an innocuous NPC to add to the already expansive rogue's gallery. 

I guess I don't understand why you think this is a good idea. Much like the "Tails going to school" idea, it doesn't work at all. Maybe as part of a bigger "Eggman is roboticizing all of Sonic's friends en masse" plot, but like... making a huge arc with this one character? Just because you find her voice to be annoying? Because shes "too innocent for her own good?" No idea what your deal is, but I'm starting to think you're a troll. 

To further your point: Witchcart, the Battle Bird Armada, Mecha Sonic, Robo-Sonic, Bio-Lizard, Solaris (By extension Mephiles and Iblis), Infinite, Dark Gaia, the Black Arms, Time Eater, Gemerl, Erazor Djinn, Eggman Nega, Merlina, plus they could always adapt BOOM villains if they really wanted to.  I imagine I missed a few too, and some of these are dead or met some other fate, but when has that stopped SEGA.

10 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

In fairness, most of these are confined to the Classic dimension, several of the others are loathed by much of the community, and two of them have turned good, leaving the modern games with, uh...Metal Sonic. And Eggman, of course.

6 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

In fairness, most of these are confined to the Classic dimension, several of the others are loathed by much of the community, and two of them have turned good, leaving the modern games with, uh...Metal Sonic. And Eggman, of course.

And the fan favorite, Zavok (Cue the five people who actually like him cheering)

• Chuckle 1

11 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

The Deadly Six keep appearing despite my prayers. I also think splitting the series into Classic and Modern is a dumb fabrication to attempt to placate the self-fulfilled idiosyncrasies of the fanbase, so I elect to ignore it.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 2
  • Fist Bump 1

Okay, I will say this--as a one game thing, having an established character be transmogrifide into an antagonist as part of the story isn't a bad idea.

However, doing so to "fix" one that probably doesn't "need" it in the long term is.

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

If you don't think Cream fits well in the series she can just stop showing up, instead of having her change into something completely different.

And/or he can just ignore her, which is rather easy to do.

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

No need to mutilate an innocuous NPC to add to the already expansive rogue's gallery. 

Image result for sonic mania hooligans art

Image result for sonic forces villains

Image result for deadly six

Image result for hard boiled heavies

57 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

The Deadly Six keep appearing despite my prayers. I also think splitting the series into Classic and Modern is a dumb fabrication to attempt to placate the self-fulfilled idiosyncrasies of the fanbase, so I elect to ignore it.

The Hardboiled Heavies, Zomom, Zeena, and unfortunately Zor aren't really recurring at the moment from what I can tell, not to mention that the former and the Hooligans are sequestered to the recently reborn Classic subseries.

You're right though, especially since they can just make more new villains that they can actually manage as a recurring one. Hell, maybe even make one that appeals to or  even challenges that of characters like Cream.

I don't understand why you think this is a good idea. Like your "Tails going to school" idea, it doesn't work at all. Maybe as part of a bigger "Eggman is roboticizing all of Sonic's friends en masse" plot, but like... making a huge arc with this one character? Just because you find her voice to be annoying? Because shes "too innocent for her own good?" No idea what your deal is, but I'm starting to think you're a troll. 

Wait, is this the same guy?

1 hour ago, tailsBOOM! said:

To further your point: Witchcart, the Battle Bird Armada, Mecha Sonic, Robo-Sonic, Bio-Lizard, Solaris (By extension Mephiles and Iblis), Infinite, Dark Gaia, the Black Arms, Time Eater, Gemerl, Erazor Djinn, Eggman Nega, Merlina, plus they could always adapt BOOM villains if they really wanted to. 

He was trying to emphasize the recurring villains since the OP was talking about retooling a character into one.

Though we did forget Dr. NEGA, even if he hasn't been much of thing after Rivals 2(aside from the one Channel comic).

And I would kinda enjoy seeing characters like Charlie and Belinda recontextualized.

I imagine I missed a few too, and some of these are dead or met some other fate, but when has that stopped SEGA.

With Forces, according to a nearly finalized script.

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Wait, is this the same guy?

Yes, this is the same guy who tried to put my beloved two-tailed fox boy back in school when he's clearly intelligent beyond it.

Oops. 

3 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Yes, this is the same guy who tried to put my beloved two-tailed fox boy back in school when he's clearly intelligent beyond it.

Oooh, okay. Gettin slightly better with these, I see.

It’s true that Cream is stuck in an action series while not being much of an action character. I’m sure there are better ways to engage the character than to make her a bot so she can blast things.

All of the Sonic cast are action types, with special powers. Cream actually fills a civilian role like no one else in the series does except Big the Cat. One thing the games don’t have compared to all the shows and comics is animal civilians, Mobians, anthros, whatever you want to call them.

The games have Flickies and friends, and we know that Sonic fights to keep them free, but the concept hasn’t been addressed too directly in games. If played right, Cream can be the character for that. She’s like a big talking Flicky, who is innocent and just wants to be a little kid and draw with crayons or whatever. She can be all of the the guys looking up at the sky in SA2 when the moon gets shot by the Space Colony ARK. She can be a civilian perspective. She could have played this role really well in Forces, which needed a character who shows the oppression a normal person faces under a world that belongs to Eggman.

Putting a blaster on a rabbit is pretty much the sum of Forces anyways. She can be used properly. Cream is a giant Flicky.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Badnik Zero said:

It’s true that Cream is stuck in an action series while not being much of an action character. I’m sure there are better ways to engage the character than to make her a bot so she can blast things.

All of the Sonic cast are action types, with special powers. Cream actually fills a civilian role like no one else in the series does except Big the Cat. One thing the games don’t have compared to all the shows and comics is animal civilians, Mobians, anthros, whatever you want to call them.

The games have Flickies and friends, and we know that Sonic fights to keep them free, but the concept hasn’t been addressed too directly in games. If played right, Cream can be the character for that. She’s like a big talking Flicky, who is innocent and just wants to be a little kid and draw with crayons or whatever. She can be all of the the guys looking up at the sky in SA2 when the moon gets shot by the Space Colony ARK. She can be a civilian perspective. She could have played this role really well in Forces, which needed a character who shows the oppression a normal person faces under a world that belongs to Eggman.

Putting a blaster on a rabbit is pretty much the sum of Forces anyways. She can be used properly. Cream is a giant Flicky.

Giving Cream a gun/blaster is also technically something he complains about anyway, since she would be less likely to use the Spindash, her Stomp attack, or yes even the Hip Drop at that point.

Anyway, the Mobini parallel sounds off at first, but it's interesting in that she really was introduced in that sorta context-- a pseudo one that stepped up to join in on the journey to both help the others that are still captured and assist Sonic in the process

I'm not certain there was meant to be that much of a distinction between Sonic and Flickies/Mobinis/"animal friends" to start with anyway; he was presented as larger because he was more important (and interesting), as I read it.

There isn't. Game like Sonic Runners treat them as sapient as the named cast, just with a translation required. 

29 minutes ago, FFWF said:

I'm not certain there was meant to be that much of a distinction between Sonic and Flickies/Mobinis/"animal friends" to start with anyway; he was presented as larger because he was more important (and interesting), as I read it.

That is true: I think there were manuals and other stuff referring to the Mobini as individual characters with families, for one.

7 hours ago, FFWF said:

A lot of earlier artwork shows a range of sizes and shapes for different animals and Sonic just happens to be on the larger end of the spectrum. If the series continued with an aesthetic like this the main cast probably wouldn't have stood out so much. 

scan.jpg

An old monologue about this I had sitting around: 

There seem to be three different design templates for characters in this style: 

-The "animal buddy designs" who are just like how they are in the classics. No clothes, keep more faithful to actual animal proportions, and are relatively short and small. This includes the yellow cat guy I think. 

-The "Sonic-style anthro designs". These are split into two categories, the shorter ones like Sonic and Tails, and the taller ones like the blue hare and the purple monkey along with Vector. Have simpler body plans using spheroids and noodles, and wear basic clothing. 

-The miscellaneous ones. These are the rest that fit somewhere between the two, some having clothes like the raccoon and the yellow bird

1c28da1a1e644905b7c52374ddd405e7.png

d410cb06510040e9bc9f0e46b9dac0ee.png

And this...fox looking dude? 

dbd2b5c209474ea893593513a3d51a70.png

And then there are the ones who are larger animals but remain more realistic like the bear and the elephant. These seem to be on a spectrum of body types, some having more realistic ones totally, and then ones like the fox who have more cartoony body types. 

I feel if they went with this sort of spectrum of designs the animal buddies and the anthro characters wouldn't look so jarring next to each other. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Wow, I’ve never seen that artwork!

They’re so playful. This is what I could see Cream doing in the modern series. Having fun, joining picnics. She’s a civilian. It seems to me she only fights when she’s caught up in it.

8 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Giving Cream a gun/blaster is also technically something he complains about anyway, since she would be less likely to use the Spindash, her Stomp attack, or yes even the Hip Drop at that point.

I might have been confusing. I don’t want her to have a blaster. Cream with a blaster (or any robotic weapons) is ridiculous to me, like the Avatar was ridiculous.