Awoo.

Best/Worst Female Sonic Character

Ishochan

Best: Blaze; She's fast, fun to play as, has an attractive character design, and her personality isn't too cliche'.

Worst: Elise; Devoid of any personality, boring and generic character design, there's absolutely no chance of fun gameplay that she can bring to the table and actually managed to make Sonic 06's gameplay WORSE in some levels.

Best: Shade since she has a full set of armor and since she's an echidna.

Worst: Marine since she was basically like Omochao, but never ahd any recorded dialog.

Rouge_14.jpg

^ Best.

For some strange reason, although im usually not very attracted to Rouge at all, that particular picture... well, it actually does make me experience the feelings towards the character than we are obviously supposed to experience. I dunno, maybe the fact that her hand covers most of her hip makes her look slimmer or something...

Either way, my vote for best female character goes to, hold on to your butts... Blaze! You know, complex personality, nice design, fire powers, ect ect. You know the deal.

And as for worst character: Marine! She is kinda cute but that doesn't change the fact that she is nothing but Cream with a spoonfull of Charmy. Utterly, utterly unoriginal.

Trivia: back in like 2006 or so, in a thread discussing what kind of new characters we might get to see in upcoming Sonic games, my guess was "a 9 year old squirrel girl from another dimension". Im not sure if Marine's introduction should primarly be taken as a sign of me being psychic or of Sega being the most predictable company in all of video gaming.

I think one of the things that really bothers me about Blaze is how much she is in fact like Knuckles. If this were a male character we'd all know instantly how unoriginal this is. But because it's a girl, this is somehow a new concept to the Sonic franchise. I'd really like to enjoy Blaze's character but I just don't "feel" it at this point, no matter how often I try to force it. I don't hate her, but don't especially like her.

YES! Thats exactly how I feel about Blaze. I do like Blaze but because of those reasons above I find her very overrated. I don't find Blaze original at all. She is a clone of Sonic and Knuckles combined with minor differences. She is like Sonic in abilities, except she has fire powers. While she is more like Knuckles in terms of personality, with minor differences.

I think the biggest similarity between Knuckles and Blaze is how they deal with their guardianships and how they go about protecting the Emeralds. Both are very devoted to be guardians to the point they sacrifice their own desires. With Knuckles, he doesn't exactly get to live the lifestyle he wants to. Some profiles have even stated he is envious of Sonic because he gets to live the life he wants while Knuckles doesn't have much of a choice. With Blaze, she is withdrawn even when she doesn't want to be like that. This is evident in Sonic Rush, when Blaze made a comment on how she wishes she was more like Amy, in terms of how open she is about her feelings. Which is ironic, that Blaze and Knuckle who are similar are a bit envious of characters like Sonic and Amy who are also similar to each other in personality.

Blaze and Knuckles are also both stubborn, hot tempered, loners and have a serious outlook on life. Stubborn because they both believe their ways of doing things is the best way, even if they have to go through it alone. Hot tempered because they won't hesitate to strike if they believe someone wronged them or is in their way of their goal. The only difference between them in this aspect is Knuckle is a bit quicker to get mad, while it takes Blaze a little bit longer to get to that point. Loners because they rather do things on their own and are not willing to ask anyone for help. They feel as if their problems are only their problems to bear. They both have a serious out look on life because neither one of them look at life as one big adventure, like Sonic does. They might have fun here and there but their minds ultimately goes back to the most important aspect of their lives, their duties. While they are both fully aware of the down side of their duties, they both accept the responsibility with great pride and do whatever it takes to protect their emeralds.

I know there are differences between them such as Knuckles is gullible while Blaze isn't. Some might even argue that Blaze might be more anti social than Knuckles but to me those are minor differences. Both characters main functions are almost identical based on how they present themselves and how they look at life as a whole. < This is what makes me believe Blaze isn't original and a bit bland because she doesn't bring anything new to the table personality wise. I know some people find her awesome because of her powers but her powers don't really matter to me. A character can have the best powers in the world but if I don't find the character engaging then I'm not going to be very interested in them. Again I do like Blaze (theres nothing I can really dislike her on) I just don't see the big deal about her. So I certainly don't see her as the best character but I definitely don't see her as the worst either.

As for who's best to me

Best: Amy Rose

I pick Amy because I find her to be the most entertaining out of all the female characters along with some other qualities I like about her. Amy is definitely the type of character that evokes emotion out of the viewer whether it's positive or negative. At least for me it's very positive. She is determined, loyal, friendly, fun, feisty, and is compassionate when it counts. I also like that she doesn't give up even when the odds are against her. Despite her not being the strongest or the most powerful character in the franchise, she definitely can do great damage on her own. I respect Amy for earning her abilities. In Sonic CD she came off as a defenseless character who was helpless. Now she is actually considered to be one of the heavy hitters in the series. She definitely has grown throughout the games from her abilities to even her relations to Sonic. I also like that Amy isn't miss perfect either, she has her shortcomings but I think that makes her more relateable as a character.

As for worse.... Since we aren't strictly talking about the games, I'm going to have to go with.....

Worse: Princess Sally Acorn (SatAm/Archie)

Sally is actually the first female in the franchise that I knew of and also grew up with. Despite all of that I never found her to be entertaining in any way. She is almost always nagging Sonic about do's and don't's like she is his mother. She comes off snobby when she compares her intelligence to Sonic's. There is nothing fun and interesting about her personality because I think she takes herself too serious. I always got the impression she was suppose to be Miss Perfect in both show and comic. I also don't like how she gets way too much focus. Really they should just have called SatAm the Sally and Sonic show as well as the comic.

Edited by Genesis

Amy's starting to become the same way with me as Blaze. Except the comparison is moreso Sonic (and the image he's supposed to have) as opposed to Knuckles. Amy is assertive, brash, cheerful, never gives up, and is fairly friendly. The only thing she has, that Sonic doesn't is the frequency of short temperedness. But put into context their lives. Amy is sensitive about her relationship, Sonic cares about adventures and provoking his rivals/adversaries. When someone challenged his capability to perform, robs an island from the inhabitants and enslaves them, etc you start to see the same sense of impatience Amy gets, but it's channeled in a different situation.

Amy's starting to become the same way with me as Blaze. Except the comparison is moreso Sonic (and the image he's supposed to have) as opposed to Knuckles. Amy is assertive, brash, cheerful, never gives up, and is fairly friendly. The only thing she has, that Sonic doesn't is the frequency of short temperedness. But put into context their lives. Amy is sensitive about her relationship, Sonic cares about adventures and provoking his rivals/adversaries. When someone challenged his capability to perform, robs an island from the inhabitants and enslaves them, etc you start to see the same sense of impatience Amy gets, but it's channeled in a different situation.

Wait, I don't follow. Are you praising Amy, or are you saying you don't like her because she's basically the same person as Sonic in your eyes? :blink:

Best: Blaze. She's seen the most character development of any girl in the series and has been used to her full potential throughout two Rush games and acted as an important side character in Sonic 06. Her personality has also changed, allowing her to grow as a person without making her too overly confident or too introverted.

Worst: Elise. Now I don't like Elise but I do feel kind of sorry for her. There's something tragic about her story which could have been so much more had the character herself been any good. However, she doesn't seem to serve any real purpose other than being the centre of Sonic's story, which felt forced. The bitch can't do shit! I counted the number of times she is taken hostage and it came out as five. Five times. In one game.

Rouge: She's one of my favourite female characters if not my favourite, but she's not had a decent role since SA2. If anything she's going backwards on the evolution chain being reduced to little more than Shadow's sidekick. She's also very 2D, being given very little noticeable personality other than being a double agent with a penchent for jewels. They seem to have made her appear too shallow over the course of time.

Edited by CreamyBagel

Oh blast, I thought I post my choices. Oh well, I'll post again.

Best: Amy Rose

Why? She isn't your average damsel in distress. She's strong, independent and wise. She may have her moments, but I feel that she is sometimes dumbdowned to fit the story. You know how for example, in sonic X, sonic can defeated a whole hoard of robots, but when face with something seemly inferior to that, he can't win. Basically when the story needs sonic to be weak, he's weak and vice versa. I think in some games they have to portray Amy as ditzy or else it wouldn't fit the direction of the story.

She is smart, strong-willed, fiery, yet friendly and she is always looking out for what's best for her friends and even people she doesn't know. Not only that, she has a huge flippin' Hammer that she hides up her skirt. That is best female character material.

2nd best: Blaze the cat, for reasons most people have touched on already and because she can run in heels.

3rd best: Wave the Swallow, she has always intrigued me, and I wish I could see more of her. How many female characters in the series can rival the smarts of Dr. robotnik/eggman? Not very many. She's confident, a little sneaky and selfish, but so is so many other females. *cough cough rouge the bat cough* Just because shes' only been in 2 games, doesn't make her any less of a good character.

Worst: I want to say Elise and Fiona Fox

For anyone who's read the archie comics, she most vile kind of fox there is. I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't read that. She is backstabbing and ruthless, and that is all.

Elise is selfish, she wanted to give up the whole world to be with Sonic. The whole human/animal relationship is just distrubing. She may be kind hearted, but she is completely underdeveloped and bland. Not to mention since her father is dead she should be "Queen" Elise and not "Princess", but whatever.

Edited by Ishochan

Worst: I want to say Elise and Fiona Fox

For anyone who's read the archie comics, she most vile kind of fox there is. I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't read that. She is backstabbing and ruthless, and that is all.

I love Fiona for that reason.

Best: Blaze the cat. For reasons everyone else said. She's the best female character in the games since Rouge.

I'd also say Wave, but she's only in spin-offs, and i'd only pick her casue I like her.

Worst: Amy Rose. She's mostly just a living running gag at this time. All she ever seems to do anymore is obsess over Sonic and want to get into his hypothetical pants. She didn't have much personality before SA1, but in said game, she wasn't really that bad.

I'm not good at explaining.

Best: I'd have to agree with most here and say Blaze. She's been developed well without being overused. There's not really a lot I can say without repeating what everyone else has already said, but in my mind she's by far the best female.

Worst: My choice here would be Cream, because she seems mostly useless. She seems tacked on in pretty much every game she appears in (Advance 2, Heroes, Chronicles, etc.) and she doesn't have a whole lot of worth as a character, either.

Concerning Amy and Rouge, while I don't really like them a whole lot, I don't really think they're inherently bad characters. They've just been used very poorly thus far in the games.

Wait, I don't follow. Are you praising Amy, or are you saying you don't like her because she's basically the same person as Sonic in your eyes?

I'm in a position where I don't hate Amy but I don't find her especially original.

Edited by Miko

My best would most definitely be Blaze. Not only does she have a great personality, but also awesome character design and power that would make Vegeta quake in his poncy little boots.

Worse: Princess Sally Acorn (SatAm/Archie)

Sally is actually the first female in the franchise that I knew of and also grew up with. Despite all of that I never found her to be entertaining in any way. She is almost always nagging Sonic about do's and don't's like she is his mother. She comes off snobby when she compares her intelligence to Sonic's. There is nothing fun and interesting about her personality because I think she takes herself too serious. I always got the impression she was suppose to be Miss Perfect in both show and comic. I also don't like how she gets way too much focus. Really they should just have called SatAm the Sally and Sonic show as well as the comic.

Ohohoho! I see that one is not understanding of how this is actually what makes her the most original of all of these females.

Allow me to explain. With Sonic being careless and otherwise deaf to all ears of reason, Sally comes in to back him up. She does this because she cares for her friend that even though he is powerful with his magic gift of speed that he is not invincible and one mistake and he could possibly be in big trouble. Besides, her relationship with Sonic has relaxed herself as she blanaces out with Sonic throughout the time they spent in their relationship. Sonic learns to be more careful while Sally becomes more relaxed and gets used to Sonic's behavior.

It only makes sense people. There has to be that one character in a series that will irritate the heck out of you, though they mean good intentions. In fact, her transitioning to being more sympathetic and more laidback proves the power that Sonic has on influencing people. If anything Sally is deserving of Best Female of the Sonic series. Yes, I dare say it, she is much deserving of it.

Though, I must say, I love Blaze and many other females as Marine. Very good characters.

My worst though? Elise. Please, what do you even need to explain here? We all know she is an incredibly awful character and that's the end to it.

Ohohoho! I see that one is not understanding of how this is actually what makes her the most original of all of these females.

Allow me to explain. With Sonic being careless and otherwise deaf to all ears of reason, Sally comes in to back him up. She does this because she cares for her friend that even though he is powerful with his magic gift of speed that he is not invincible and one mistake and he could possibly be in big trouble. Besides, her relationship with Sonic has relaxed herself as she blanaces out with Sonic throughout the time they spent in their relationship. Sonic learns to be more careful while Sally becomes more relaxed and gets used to Sonic's behavior.

It only makes sense people. There has to be that one character in a series that will irritate the heck out of you, though they mean good intentions. In fact, her transitioning to being more sympathetic and more laidback proves the power that Sonic has on influencing people. If anything Sally is deserving of Best Female of the Sonic series. Yes, I dare say it, she is much deserving of it.

Opinion. Might give mine as well.

This whole relationship of theirs is based into 4 unrealistic portraits of how a relationship works in mass media. Books have been written on the matter.

1. The believe that a woman can change a man (or vice versa).

2. Bickering and fighting means both love each other.

3. Different values do not matter when love is concerned.

4. The "right mate" completes you.

This isn't realistic, but the series isn't in the real world either, so why bother trying to explain how well it works when in reality, it never does? This is irrelevant. Anything wacky works in fiction, so giving it a meaning is mostly irrelevant as well. I do not believe that Sonic, as we know him, would hang around such a nag for so long. We've been all unresponsible children at some point. No one listened to their parents when they nagged us about something. We learned for us, not by what some one might want to shove on our heads as truth.

I disliked (hate is such a strong word) SatAM because Eggman was a one-dimensional villain who pushed nothing for me. The setting being bland is second and the Freedom Fighters is third. Sally, as a sole character is fourth. It's easy to generalize because it throws sand to other people's eyes but that doesn't work out for me fortunately.

No, it doesn

Edited by redmenace

Best: Blaze the Cat. She's a tough chick, a pyro, and she's a CAT!!!

Worst: Cream. Ugh. She is annoying. She is sickeningly cute. Someone please shoot her.

• Thumbs Up 1

Best Female

Actually, my favourite female is Amy. My view of her is heavily influenced by her Japanese Sonic X portrayal, and I really do like to think of the characterisation in the anime (at least, once again, the Jap version) as canon, even if the storyline isn't. So just getting that bias out of the way now.

I admire Amy's fiery passion and determination, and that no matter how many times Sonic rejects her she never lets it get her down, and will follow him to the ends of the earth. Some see that as her simply being an immature fangirl, which I agree she is at times (but what young girl isn't? XD), but to me it comes off as something more appealing. I also like her loyalty, protectiveness and caring to her friends.

She also isn't entirely useless; she may not be the strongest or fastest character, but she'll do her best and packs a decent punch. Do not make her mad and expect to win.

On the other hand, sometimes she's portrayed as FREAKING INSANE and completely flanderized to the point where she's not even deep enough to be a 2D character. That's probably how I'd see her, if it wasn't for the character development and exploration in Sonic X (well come on, it's development and exploration compared to the GAMES. Except for Tails).

I suppose that what makes me like her most of all is how she takes on a stereotype (squealing fangirl) and adds depth and originality. She's cheerful, fiesty, loyal, caring, and determined, but still has plenty of major flaws. I like her anyway.

I also like Rouge as well. She was fantastic in SA2: a sexy, fun thief with an obsession for jewels, no clear moral code, manipulative and cunning. I think the second they tried to tone her down (was it an attempt at development?) into a mellow, friendly and caring individual, they ruined her. She isn't really appealing without the X-factor. And I hate to bring up the voices thing, but with her current voice...I immediately see her as a 30 year old woman. Sorry.

And then there's Shahra, who I find extremely original and refreshing (moreso than Merlina). She never once annoys me (which is more than I can say for either of the two characters above), and I love her implied backstory with Erazor, then her betrayal of Sonic. She's a good-hearted character who does some bad things and makes plenty of mistakes - very easy to relate to. And I really love the friendship between her and Sonic.

Worst Female

Elise (who didn't see this coming?). I find nothing redeemable about her. She's stupid, serves no more purpose than being a damsel-in-distress, doesn't show any qualities of a good leader and monarch, and is devoid of any emotional depth (save for her one-sided love for Sonic, which just seems weak to me). I can't stand her selfishness - yes, Amy is also very selfish, but she is an intrinsically flawed character who's meant to be taken that way, rather than a princess who is meant to put herself out for her people.

I see potential in Elise for good qualities, and likeable/relateable flaws. Perhaps it was simply bad execution. I agree with everyone else: poor Chabert, being given the role. But hey, at least Elise's voice was good.

Best: Blaze, Amy, and Fiona. I also like Wave too, but she's not one of the best characters IMO.

Worst: Elise and Cream. I hate them so much.

I don't see why everyone hates Sally though.

Unsurprisingly, Blaze is the popular choice here.

I'd have to give her my vote as well. I don't really like her backstory, though. Sol Emerald guardian, alternate dimension, future...bah, to hell with it all. But it's the basics about her that makes Blaze shine, her design and personality to be specific. Both of these allow her great flexibility. Where as most characters can only play a certain role like the one trick ponies that they are, Blaze can operate under virtually any situation without appearing out of character. I couldn't imagine a natural, touching scene between Shadow and Cream for the life of me. But Blaze can pull it off without a problem, and work under more angsty moments just as well. Sonic, Eggman, and (sorta) Knuckles are the only other characters that can do this.

Another thing I like is her fear of heights. First personal, down to earth flaw a Sonic character has had since Sonic's inability to swim. It's pretty insignificant, but even the small things count towards having a great character.

It's also nice to see a female character (and a princess no less) who isn't stuck relying on a stereotype. At first, I was worried she'd fit into the "tough chick" thing that Lara Croft and Samus Aran popularized, but those moments with Cream proved otherwise. However, that's the ONLY female oriented thing I like about Blaze. A lot of people like to pretend that the only reason Blaze is liked is because she's a girl, and she'd instantly become hated if she had some more testosterone. But, aside frome being a girl that is a walking stereotype, what would Blaze lose if she was a male? The rest of the changes would be subtle, even the physical ones since she is using any knockers, hips, or mini-skirts to gain appeal. I'd love her....err, him just as much.

Femal or not, Blaze is one of my favorite Sonic characters period. Sonic and Eggman are the only ones I like more.

As for least favorite, it's either Amy or Rouge. I could jump on the Elise or Cream bandwagon, but I won't waste my time whining about characters as insignificant as those two. The main thing that disappoints me about Amy and Rouge is how terrible they are despite already having the blueprints set up for them. They are basically just shadows of Harley Quinn (Joker's crazy love interest from Batman) and Black Cat (sexy thief from Spider-Man) respectively. Ironically, those two are among my favorite characters in those franchises. Because, despite the fact that they are play typical female roles, they pull them off in tip top fashion. I'm not asking for Amy and Rouge to become they're clones, but they would easily be good characters if they took inspiration for the role models established ahead of time and put their own unique twists on it. Instead, they play the same predictable roles over and over again and can't even make them funny and/or titilating like they are suppose to. Such a waste of what could have been good character slots.

Edited by Tentomon

I actually used to find Amy really irritating. Maybe it was her voice actor in Sonic Adventure 1, but she had this high pitched whine which just drove me insane :lol:

But, as new games came out, it felt like she was becoming more rounded as a character. I especially liked her attitude within Sonic X and have to admit that, as a character, I do really like her. Especially when she goes on adventures herself and doesn't have to chase after or rely on Sonic all the time.

I agree with the comments about Rouge; she's a good character, but underused. She was excellent in SA2, but she's just been given a back seat since then.

Since playing Sonic Rush Adventure a lot, I've started to get fond of Marine. Maybe that is a bad sign, but I found her dialogue to be rather amusing, rather than annoying :huh:

Edited by CapnCloudchaser

Marine was annoying to me in the same way Steve Irwin(RIP) annoyed me... Over typifying the Australian image. No one uses "stewth" or "bonza"... :P

Blaze is my favourite, mainly because she's not a helpless "save me" victim..and can generally handle all her own problems. Good to see a female protagonist for once :)

• Sonic News

Best: I'm sure a lot of other people are going to agree with me here: Blaze the Cat. One could say she's the female version of Knuckles, but regardless this character remains one of the only Sonic characters to actually have in game character development. She starts out as a recluse, preferring to the "Go it alone" route that has proven ever so effective in our foreign policy (but I digress). Over the course of the game she learns, partially through failure, and partially through her friendship with Cream, that friends and allies can be a very valuable asset. So by the end of the game she's fighting side by side with Sonic to defend her world and get the Sol Emeralds back, all while still remaining the single strongest female character in the Sonic universe. She's the closest thing Sonic games have to a tomboy, and a genuine female hero. Story was no work of art, but for a Sonic game it wasn't bad, and Blaze played a big role in making it that good. Though, to be fair to Amy, she doesn't do too bad herself (though she too often plays the damsel in distress).

Worst: A few years ago, I'd have said Amy Rose, but her character has grown on me through her renditions in Archie and Sonic X, and her recent appearances in Sonic Chronicles and Sonic Unleashed, all of which show an independent girl who's still willing to express and pursue her affections for the blue blur, without utterly creepifying people out (seriously, WHAT WAS SHE ON in Heroes?!). Cream, I was going to use a few minutes ago, until I realized the role she played in Blaze's development, and the general niche she fills as the cute innocent girl. So worst, imo, goes to...

Elise. For kissing Sonic on the mouth and all sorts of icky things. Her character was generally pretty bland and unappealing to boot. This may be very short and simple, but it doesn't really need to be anything more: Elise was just a lousy character in a lousy story.

• Thumbs Up 1

Marine was annoying to me in the same way Steve Irwin(RIP) annoyed me... Over typifying the Australian image. No one uses "stewth" or "bonza"... :P

To be fair to Marine though, it was never claimed that she was Australian and even if she is, she is from another dimension after all. Maybe in her Australia people really do speak like that, kangaroo's cross the street and Fosters runs from the taps, who knows? :P

I always took her language and gestures as her being very overwhelmed at her once-quiet life suddenly becoming very hectic, and her feeling she has to "play herself up" in many ways so she can both help herself get through it and impress her visitors. One of the more obvious was claiming her building skills are a tad better than in reality, but I think a lot of the random shouting, outstretched arms and colorful language was done almost all-at-once to try and cover up that it's just a bit too much for her. Not that she doesn't have a hyperactive personality anyway, it's probably just a bit downplayed compared to the tense situations of the game.

So I've never really found her annoying, just pretty fun but with enough depth to understand. I do think it's kind of a bummer she was only a cutscene character though, it leaves her considerably less open for future playable roles since we're so in the dark about what she can actually do ability-wise.

To be fair to Marine though, it was never claimed that she was Australian and even if she is, she is from another dimension after all. Maybe in her Australia people really do speak like that, kangaroo's cross the street and Fosters runs from the taps, who knows? :P

You are extremely correct about no mention about Australia. I was going to mention originally that she WAS Australian, but I quickly did some research prior, and realised that at no point do they say the word in any of the games. Lets be honest though, who else are known/thought to use words like "strewth" anyway xD

So I've never really found her annoying, just pretty fun but with enough depth to understand. I do think it's kind of a bummer she was only a cutscene character though, it leaves her considerably less open for future playable roles since we're so in the dark about what she can actually do ability-wise.

I would argue quite the opposite. The less they say about her now, the less contradictions there are in future games. I just see that as Sonic Teams lazy way of introducing a character that has a fairly unknown history that they can then invent up sometime in the future to tie in with another game.