Awoo.

Best/Worst Female Sonic Character

Ishochan

I would argue quite the opposite. The less they say about her now, the less contradictions there are in future games. I just see that as Sonic Teams lazy way of introducing a character that has a fairly unknown history that they can then invent up sometime in the future to tie in with another game.

Whilst this is true, the bad point of this often means that they may damn near completely change the character from the good simplicity what you once knew so they can be accustomed to the different game role. It's like "Okay so Marine is back, rejoice! Only now she can shoot lasers out her eyes, can fly with her ponytails (for a limited time!) and is going through a 'dark period' in her life where Neighbours has been cancelled and must get it back on the air if she ever wants to find happiness".

Yeah, I'm pretty much talking crap - storyline wise Shadow losing a lot of his class comes to mind as a big character change. If she was ever made playable I can think of a similar idea to how weird Amy suddenly got the ability to become invisible in Sonic 06. Now pretty much nothing in that game could be drawn to a logical conclusion but I wouldn't want Marine to have a similar experience, even though it's a bit of a stretch. This is why I'm happy with her being a simple one shot character, but somewhat uneasy about her ever making more appearances.

Edited by Tombi

can fly with her ponytails (for a limited time!)

Haha!! xD I wouldnt put it past Sonic Team. I mean, would else could they possibly have? A bunny flying with her ears? psh.

Back on topic, I never found cream to be as annoying as a couple of people have already mentioned. When she appeared in SA2 (correct me if i'm wrong) she just seemed to be the "new" character that was being introduced that game (running through a period of time whethere there was a new chracter a game). She then featured in Sonic X and although I'd cringe everytime I heard her voice, I thought she was fitting in fairly well with that series (I saw SX as being aimed at a younger audience, to which she fit nicely).

I just hope they dont start using her in the more mature-age-based games.

cream and rouge, nuff said.

Rouge because she's stupid.. and cream because she is stupid as well. THey are both stupid underdeveloped characters that are just anoying. In sonic x everytime cream opened her mouth she made me wanna change the channle. Every episode where rouge was playing a role it sucked. I mean a big role. Sometimes it was an episode about knuckles, and rouge just interfered. Why rouge Whyyyy!!!!

Rouge and cream should be deleted and never come back. I'd say blaze take rouges place. No love bullcrap with knuckles no more. And cream and her mom go take a hike and let marine who was at least funny. Take the place.

Or maybe nobody. Too many characters allready so screw marine as well

Edited by Jaouad
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Something about Blaze's character seems a tad flat to me. Maybe I've just never liked Ice Queens, but I like it when a character's emotions are a bit more visible.

I have to go with Amy. She started out having no idea what she was getting into, but she had developed a bit more courage during Sonic Adventure. It's just too bad her new design looks like a Lovecraftian horror. They also kind of screwed up her development.

Worst: Picking Elise as worst female Sonic character seems almost like picking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDDP9OXF354as the worst male Sonic character. I think it's funny how inanimate objects have more characterization than her.

I kind of want to say Sally, but in my mind that opens up the rest of the shows as well, and you have to contend with the likes of Sonia. If you're going to have White voice a girl, make sure he doesn't slip into the Urkel voice while he's doing it.

As for Tikal, I can't decide whether the abrupt revelation that the hint orb was actually part of the story was brilliant or retarded, so I reserve judgement.

With them out of the picture, Rouge is my victim. Somehow managing to avoid basically every visual convention in the entire franchise, but she has also managed to not make sense essentially any time she appears. Most characters have the same number of limbs as the animal they're based off of, but not Rouge. Most of the characters have pipe cleaner style limbs, but not Rouge. It's also strange how the only colored fur on her is her head. Kinda strange, that. She's also is a bat that can't fly, only glide, and a jewel thief who hasn't stolen any jewels in years. She was also created for no apparent reason beyond "So that Knuckles would have a rival".

With them out of the picture, Rouge is my victim. Somehow managing to avoid basically every visual convention in the entire franchise, but she has also managed to not make sense essentially any time she appears. Most characters have the same number of limbs as the animal they're based off of, but not Rouge. Most of the characters have pipe cleaner style limbs, but not Rouge. It's also strange how the only colored fur on her is her head. Kinda strange, that. She's also is a bat that can't fly, only glide, and a jewel thief who hasn't stolen any jewels in years. She was also created for no apparent reason beyond "So that Knuckles would have a rival".

But aren't many, many other characters guilty of exactly the same thing, and to a greater extent? Shadow, much? The entire cast of the Babylon Rogues? Eggman?

I appreciate that only one of those is female, but... blegh.

Also, wrt all the Cream-hate; can you imagine how much worse it would be if she'd debuted in Sonic X rather than Advance 2? :S

Edited by Frozen Nitrogen

Good thing she's not in a series that has an echidna with dreadlocks, no snout, and inexplicable bony growths on its hands.

Alongside a mutated fox with two tails, a hedgehog without fur on both its stomach and muzzle, a bee with a snout and only one set of arms, and an armadillo that doesn't look like anything found in nature.

I'd just like to point out to all those people saying "Cream is the least developed female" are idiots. She's the most developed Sonic female in the game Universe. She's the only character with a established parent and place of residence. And yes, Cream is my favourite sonic female. She cute but dangerous at the same time. Hell, she was the one who defeated Emerl in Sonic X. She may have an annoying voice, but which 6 year old doesn't?

My least favourite is probably.. Elise? I can't see her comming back to the series which is a good thing. The whole 'being in love with Sonic' thing kinda bugged me.0

Edited by Xeric

Sidenote: Phos

That Cheerios Ad was just plain awesome! Some of the best animation ive seen of sonic for quite some time :)

But aren't many, many other characters guilty of exactly the same thing, and to a greater extent? Shadow, much? The entire cast of the Babylon Rogues? Eggman?

I appreciate that only one of those is female, but... blegh.

Also, wrt all the Cream-hate; can you imagine how much worse it would be if she'd debuted in Sonic X rather than Advance 2? :S

Hey, I never said she was the only one who I disliked for that.

Eggman?

A game has to have an antagonist.

Shadow, much?

He was the antagonist of the game he debuted in, he had a point in that story. Granted, it wasn't a very good story, but then Shadow matches his role perfectly.

And the Babylon Rogues have the decency to not pretend like they're part of the crowd.

Good thing she's not in a series that has an echidna with dreadlocks, no snout, and inexplicable bony growths on its hands.

Alongside a mutated fox with two tails, a hedgehog without fur on both its stomach and muzzle, a bee with a snout and only one set of arms, and an armadillo that doesn't look like anything found in nature.

And both this Echidna and Fox follow the rules of having pipe cleaner limbs and the same number of limbs as the animal they're based off of (With Tails as an internally noted exception), and with a consistent "fur" color. Rouge has none of these.

I'm not sure who I'd pick for best female character:

Blaze is a good female character, with a lot of responsibilities for a single woman. She holds a lot of her actions very cautiously, and tries her best to do what is right to the fullest extent.

Amy...not sure what to say about Amy. She doesn't seem to have much for me to say anything bad about her either.

I'd go back on what I said for Rouge when I said she wasn't exactly the best character earlier on. She actually a lot smarter than folks give her credit for being able to trick the Doctor who's managed to trick Knuckles atleast 3 times. But of course people will go for her looks and judge her off that more than anything else, thinking of her as a whore and such. :rolleyes: If anything she isn't being developed properly.

I'd guess I'd go for either Blaze or Rouge. Amy's not a bad character, and I am fond of her, but I don't think she's done enough for me to consider her.

As for worse, the only character for me to consider is Elise. Not because of you-know-what, but because she was very poorly written, and the only role she essentially served was as the vessel of Iblis...a shame too, they could've done better.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Kinda strange, that. She's also is a bat that can't fly, only glide, and a jewel thief who hasn't stolen any jewels in years.

Rouge can fly, and does so quite frequently. Although her début game of SA2 only displays her in flight during cutscenes, she was the playable Flight Type of Team Dark, had the best flight ability of all characters in Sonic Battle, and was classified as Fly Type in both Riders games. As for her theivery - she robbed a jewellery shop in Battle, and stole the Master Emerald in Sonic Rivals 2.

Seeing as that I responded to a very similar question not too long ago, I'll simply quote my response here.

I'd have to say my "favourite" would have to be Blaze. She's normally very calm, cool, and collected (bottling up all of her emotions inside) - but can be totally irate and vengeful when angered by those she dislikes. I also find the story behind her attire to be quite interesting - how she was teased and ridiculed as a child for her body's ability to control flames, and that she now wears her cape to conceal her power. It's quite apparent that she does have an odd outfit, and it's nice that they actually elaborated on things like that for once. It may also explain why she was so antisocial up until the point in time when she met up with Cream in Rush. (Why yes, I'm aware that she keeps guard of the Sol Emerald and Jewel Sceptre too, but I'm sure that she doesn't guard them 24/7 as Knuckles seems to do. The Jewel Sceptre is heavily guarded by guards underground, and the Sol Emeralds probably have a resting place somewhere.) Also, I find the fact that she's extremely bothered by her rather flat chest to be...nothing short of absolutely cute, for some reason.

I'm also a fan of Rouge. One thing I find interesting about Rouge is that she treats every character...differently. As in, she'll speak to Shadow in an almost "older sisterly" kind of manner, speak teasingly to Knuckles, and be nothing short of a total bitch to Amy. She'll speak to Espio respectfully, and treat Silver like a total basket-case. It's nice to see that she actually acknowledges and analyses a character's personality, and develops a personal opinion about them in doing so. And, in doing that, she will speak and act to them accordingly to get what she wants from them. She's intelligent and cunning...that's something I like - a character that puts a lot of thought behind their actions.

With that being said, I can't really say that I have a definite "least favourite female character". I even like Elise, to an extent.

Edited by HunterTSF

Rouge can fly, and does so quite frequently. Although her début game of SA2 only displays her in flight during cutscenes, she was the playable Flight Type of Team Dark, had the best flight ability of all characters in Sonic Battle, and was classified as Fly Type in both Riders games. As for her theivery - she robbed a jewellery shop in Battle, and stole the Master Emerald in Sonic Rivals.

Excuse me? In Sonic Rivals 1 the Master vanishes because Nega exploits its time-transcendentality from Onyx Island. In Sonic Rivals 2 it's never explained how it went missing; it just spontaneously ends up...

inside Nega's Chaos Emerald detector

...but Rouge certainly doesn't know about that.

Excuse me? In Sonic Rivals 1 the Master vanishes because Nega exploits its time-transcendentality from Onyx Island. In Sonic Rivals 2 it's never explained how it went missing; it just spontaneously ends up...

inside Nega's Chaos Emerald detector

...but Rouge certainly doesn't know about that.

Oh sorry about that, there was originally a "2" at the end of that sentence. And yes, she does indeed intentionally steal the Master Emerald in Chaotic Inferno at the very end of Knuckles & Rouge's story, once they had discovered that it was inside Eggman Nega's Emerald Detector the entire time.

Knuckles could have retrieved it soon afterwards afterwards though - this all takes place right before the credits start rolling.

Edited by HunterTSF

Sally IMO is the best female character, it's a shame so many people wouldn't agree as many hate her. =( I'm not very good at explaining reasons why I like her so much, but I'll give it a go.

I mainly like her for her friendship with Sonic, they have such opposite personalities that I find it funny how they interact, Sally can be a right bitch to Sonic sometimes, but you can tell they still care for each other very much. =] I love seeing Sally worry about Sonic and stuff, it shows she truly cares about him. I like the fact she's not a typical helpless girly girl type character, and doesn't act all fangirly and annoying (unlike a certain other Sonic character >.>), I just overall like her personality, but I'm not very good at explaining why I like it so much. I'm also a strong supporter of SonicXSally, at least Sonic actually loved her back, and she doesn't act all obsessive over him, I think they make a great couple. (: I'm also very much fond of the SatAM universe, which is probably another reason why I like her so much.

Amy, BY FAR is the worst female Sonic character, she's annoying as hell! I've hated her for years, it used to be because I was jealous of her relationship with Sonic, but now I'm over my crush on him I realize I hate her for different reasons. For one I HATE how obsessive and fangirly she acts over Sonic, I mean from what I've seen Sonic does not have feelings for her back (yes, I even think this in Sonic X), and I find it selfish the way she acts around him, I mean you can't make someone love you so she should just give it in and leave the poor guy alone, and accept that they're just friends, I hate obsessive people like that. I also very much find her an annoying character in general, her whole personality is annoying, her voice is extremely irritating, she's as ugly as hell (she barely even LOOKS like a hedgehog IMO), and basically I just hate everything about her. Now don't get me wrong, I actually like old style Amy (the one seen in Sonic CD), she was more cute and less annoying back then, at least she didn't speak. But hey, this is all just my opinion, I know many will disagree with this, but nothing changes what I think of her.

Sally IMO is the best female character, it's a shame so many people wouldn't agree as many hate her. =( I'm not very good at explaining reasons why I like her so much, but I'll give it a go.

I mainly like her for her friendship with Sonic, they have such opposite personalities that I find it funny how they interact, Sally can be a right bitch to Sonic sometimes, but you can tell they still care for each other very much. =] I love seeing Sally worry about Sonic and stuff, it shows she truly cares about him. I like the fact she's not a typical helpless girly girl type character, and doesn't act all fangirly and annoying (unlike a certain other Sonic character >.>), I just overall like her personality, but I'm not very good at explaining why I like it so much. I'm also a strong supporter of SonicXSally, at least Sonic actually loved her back, and she doesn't act all obsessive over him, I think they make a great couple. (: I'm also very much fond of the SatAM universe, which is probably another reason why I like her so much.

Amy, BY FAR is the worst female Sonic character, she's annoying as hell! I've hated her for years, it used to be because I was jealous of her relationship with Sonic, but now I'm over my crush on him I realize I hate her for different reasons. For one I HATE how obsessive and fangirly she acts over Sonic, I mean from what I've seen Sonic does not have feelings for her back (yes, I even think this in Sonic X), and I find it selfish the way she acts around him, I mean you can't make someone love you so she should just give it in and leave the poor guy alone, and accept that they're just friends, I hate obsessive people like that. I also very much find her an annoying character in general, her whole personality is annoying, her voice is extremely irritating, she's as ugly as hell (she barely even LOOKS like a hedgehog IMO), and basically I just hate everything about her. Now don't get me wrong, I actually like old style Amy (the one seen in Sonic CD), she was more cute and less annoying back then, at least she didn't speak. But hey, this is all just my opinion, I know many will disagree with this, but nothing changes what I think of her.

You know, I agree.

I actually did like the interaction between Sonic and Sally in the TV show. It was amusing and it had that air of attraction between them that made it entertaining to watch. The way that they teased each other all the time was pretty awesome.

Amy does tend to cling to Sonic a LOT, but it may have something to do with her maturity. xD She is pretty young. Though I think I may still have a bit of a soft spot for Amy because of Sonic CD. I really enjoyed that game. x3

Edited by Invistar
  • Thumbs Up 1

What if someone mentions Marine the Racoon? Now there's a topic!

I have to take a guess at this one because every character is incomplete, even Sally. If there was something that was canon and still timeless...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Best: Rouge the Bat. Some might say she was the prototype for Blaze. She was the first female with independance and fighting skills that could be on par wtih either Sonic or Knuckles. Some might bash her because she's a sex object in a childrens game. But still the bitch is the original prima donna, not Blaze.

Worst: Blaze the Cat. If you ask me, if you mix Knuckles with Shadow and add alittle Sally. You'd get blaze. The reason everyone likes her because she's a combination of all those characters with little orginalty in terms of moveset. She's shadow in mature perspective, angst, and brooding self conscious. She's Knuckles in guardian, responsible role and sometimes temper and finally she's Sally with the whole Kingdom and Royal thing going on. Not worth it, and the main reason I hate her is she's taking the main females roles from the girls in terms of popularity.

People just are narrowminded fools.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 2

For the Best Female Sonic Character, I'm going with Blaze. Like most of you have said so far, she seems the best developed. As for the worst, I'd go with Marine, I don't entirely (SP?) hate her, but she was kind of annoying.

• Thumbs Up 1