Awoo.

How SonAmy might benefit the series

Owen Deane

1. It would make Amy the happiest she's ever been. 

2. It would make SonAmy fans' days.

3. It would remove Sonic's debatable "shyness", making him 100% hero.

4. Sonic would have a roof over his head.

5. It would benefit their world, as since they'll likely have their own kids, they'd probably inherit some of their heroic traits, thus, new heroes would be born.

6. Story-wise, it could take the games in an interesting direction.

7. Sonic would feel proud if he helped bless the world with a new hero or more in the long run.

8. Sonic Team teases it to no end.

9. It would make for some interesting character development for both hedgehogs, something I'm sure we all miss, right? For example, Sonic could realise that running from every situation/problem/dilemma doesn't always make them go away, and that you need to deal with them properly.

10. Amy might lose her short tempered side, since she'd have Sonic as her partner.

So, do you agree, or disagree? If so, why?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

Sonic has only two loves: Chili dogs and adventures.

The shipping wars are already annoying enough, I'd really rather they not add fuel to that fire.

• Thumbs Up 2

....I was going to answer each of your points, but half of the time my answer was "What? You're joking right?" I mean, roof? Potential kids? Really?

UNO: Sonic games aren't about romance.  Ship teasing is to satisfy fans who like that sort of thing, with little interruption to those who don't. Fanfics are for that.

DOS: Amy dream of becoming Sonic girlfriend is core to her character. It's her main dream, drive in life. Changing that in series that plans to go forever on pretty much stable status quo is not a great idea. It would require good writers, giving it a lot of focus, knowing how to handle her in the future, ow wait UNO! I wish there were more stories about boy and a girl who are already couple, rather than tiresome 'will-they-won't-they' , but Sonic/Amy aren't right couple for that

TRES You know how many heros out there are in kinda-sorta relationship? Pretty much every comic hero, Mario, Link, DK, Spyro, Crash, Sly Cooper, Jak and way more. Guys like Kirby, Pit, Samus, Ratchet, Megaman don't have one (maaaybe weak teases). Sonic/Amy relation is very unique and emphasizes unique traits of both characters (Sonic's need to be free, Amy's passion etc). Why ruin it?

Only good reason to canonize SonAmy is "because Amy's characterization in some games was very creepy", but frankly tying knot over that gives strange message. Just write her better in the future Sega (if they did got together, I'm sure terrible writers would know how to ruin her in a new way. Just look at Lost World/Forces Tails.)

Personally I believe SonAmy can only happen

1) In fan work/What-If scenario specially design to explore this posibility

2) In comic/cartoon/sub-series that actually plans to have changing status quo, ideally that plans to end one day.

• Fist Bump 1

Well, there are shipping Wars in other medias with similar arguments, too.

For instance, Kermit The Frog, at one point, was dating this pig named Denise, with some people arguing against it. I remember one YouTube commenter saying something along the lines of "Kermit should be with Miss Piggy, not that fucking ugly pig Denise!"

You see where I'm coming from?

Tying down Sonic reeealy feels wrong, and expecting him to be domestic is even wronger. That's why a romance would never work with him. I'm not against them in Sonic games, just not for Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even as a Sonamy fan, (just look at my sig and art) I can't tell if you are joking

- It was established that Amy is already happy enough with just chasing Sonic, she's also 12, not a 40 year old single woman wanting for the guy to pop the question. 

- Making something ;''canon'' to make shippers happy is a really really silly reason to make it canon. By that logic Voltron should have made Klance canon to make the fans happy but anyone knowing how much of a mess and harassment that fanabse caused and how much the ship itself doesn't make sense if it become ''canon''.

.....what does being shy have to do with making you less of a hero?

but Sonic doesn't want to sit in once place

5. It would benefit their world, as since they'll likely have their own kids, they'd probably inherit some of their heroic traits, thus, new heroes would be born.

- Let's leave that to the fandom, the writers and artist shall we?

- Not really it could also alienate and its not like Sonic Team already has to many characters they underused when they should. 

7. Sonic would feel proud if he helped bless the world with a new hero or more in the long run.

- Sonic doesn't have to do that by bringing a child into the world. training Tails or any other kid to be a hero would make him feel proud. Regardless of the bloodline.

- Its the teasing part that makes it interesting 

9. It would make for some interesting character development for both hedgehogs, something I'm sure we all miss, right? For example, Sonic could realise that running from every situation/problem/dilemma doesn't always make them go away, and that you need to deal with them properly.

-

You can do too without showing a relationship ?

10. Amy might lose her short tempered side, since she'd have Sonic as her partner.

- If Amy loses part of her character just based on a romantic partner it would be really bad writing and development for her, 

• Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Owen Deane said:

How do you know for certain? Maybe Amy would find out being an a relationship with Sonic isn't all it was cracked out to be and not to fall for silly crushes anymore. Anyway, not every character has to be constantly happy or fulfilled. 

So what. You could make any stupid change to satisfy any fringe group's wants. Doesn't mean it's a good thing for anyone in the long run. 

Sonic isn't a perfect hero in any perspective. That's part of his character. Sonic explicitly doesn't like commitments as they slow him down. Not exactly sure why you want to change that. 

Sonic is a nomad and doesn't like to be tied down to any one location. All these "benefits" aren't even beneficial to Sonic. 

The characters don't age. We'd never see their kids as they'll never grow up as far as we're concerned.

How? Nobody playing a Sonic game is interested in watching a relationship. 

Actually he wouldn't give a toss. Sonic only saves the world because he feels like it and it is just a pastime to him. He's not a professional superhero and a lineage of planet protectors really isn't something he would be interested in watching over. 

No they don't. Amy glomps Sonic because she has a crush on him like how she has since day one. 

9. It would make for some interesting character development for both hedgehogs, something I'm sure we all miss, right? For example, Sonic could realise that running from every situation/problem/dilemma doesn't always make them go away, and that you need to deal with them properly.

Amy in her current portrayal is about as mature as a toddler, so I doubt Sonic is really going to be taking much wisdom from her. Sonic is a free spirit and impulsively goes from situation to situation and I don't know why you want to change that so much. Sonic is how he is, and if you don't like it, too bad. Just admit you don't like Sonic's personality and move on rather than trying to warp it into what you want. This isn't 2002 Archie. 

Actually I doubt at her age that being in a relationship would be doing that much good for her.

• Fist Bump 1

I wouldn't mind it becoming official since it would show some maturity on both characters parts, but this franchise doesn't exactly do that whole character development thing

Just now, Wraith said:

I wouldn't mind it becoming official since it would show some maturity on both characters parts, but this franchise doesn't exactly do that whole character development thing

Really? What about during the Adventure era? Shadow, Amy, Gamma, and Tails got character development there.

1 minute ago, Owen Deane said:

Really? What about during the Adventure era? Shadow, Amy, Gamma, and Tails got character development there.

Yeah and if the series had kept that energy up this might have happened by now. It did not.

19 minutes ago, Osmium said:

Sonic is how he is, and if you don't like it, too bad. Just admit you don't like Sonic's personality and move on rather than trying to warp it into what you want. This isn't 2002 Archie. 

I never said I disliked Sonic's personality. 

There's so much about this I disagree with, but I will not have anyone slander Sonic's good name. For the record...

...Sonic's got a house.

20 minutes ago, Tara said:

I actually quite like the idea of romance being explored in Sonic and think it could be an interesting exploration of character.

Just not for ANY of the reasons listed above.

Yeah, I agree with Tara on this, I don't mind a romance in the series, per say. Although I'd add that right now, I'd settle for making the stories actually good as opposed to concerning with who's gonna get with who. 

7 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

There's so much about this I disagree with, but I will not have anyone slander Sonic's good name. For the record...

...Sonic's got a house.

How many homes does he own?

Fi35sgR.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Sonic really likes theming, he lets a pro photographer take these photos for free...wait?

Is the photographer Amy?

I just noticed Tails is constantly outside Sonic's window. Does he not understand the concept of personal fucking space or what?

8OCnmch.jpg

• Chuckle 1

1 minute ago, MainJP said:

Does he not understand the concept of personal fucking space or what?

I wouldn't think so at that point.

Amy would do it for free.

1 hour ago, Tara said:

I actually quite like the idea of romance being explored in Sonic and think it could be an interesting exploration of character.

Just not for ANY of the reasons listed above.

This is how I feel. While I have made my feelings about sonic's character related to romance more than known. I don't think its bad, in fact I think it would be really. Sonic's characters particularly in the adventure era forward are kind of coming of age style characters so to speak. And they are popular with kids and young teens. And to have characters they relate to at least have some symblance of romance, not just heteronormative but also LGBTQ+ seems like a pretty good slam dunk idea.

That said I don't trust sonic to do anything interesting with that premise because the people in charge of the brand still are

48 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

...Sonic's got a house.

Yeah, I agree with Tara on this, I don't mind a romance in the series, per say. Although I'd add that right now, I'd settle for making the stories actually good as opposed to concerning with who's gonna get with who. 

Nah dog, lord iizuka said sonic is a vagabond. He's a dirty hobo who probably smells bad because he is sweating from the running. ( Not a joke actually, I believe he said this like before forces was released )

As for the bottom part that has been my aversion to sonic romance or...whatever you call what has happened up to now. For both the people producing the content and some of the folks digesting it has been about who's with who. Its why I feel some people get a bit offended when you suggest sonic isn't some player or something. To me that's largely uninteresting. And going into ken penders territory we should all avoid.

But telling an interesting story because I dunno maybe knuckles gets a boyfriend and he convinces him to leave the island might be kinda neat

I just don't care. With Amy being less obsessive maybe they're already dating? Boom Sonic and Amy are clearly a low key thing.

But in the end it doesn't matter. This series is about adventure not romance. Amy's crush will always be unresolved with occasional hints that Sonic does share feelings and that's it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, they probably are already dating, since Amy has changed, ironically her fans like obsessed Amy, but don't realize she has more chances to be dating Sonic if she is... A normal person.

• Thumbs Up 1

Amy is probably my least favorite character among the recurring ones, and I may be the minority but I think the series would benefit if Amy became a side character with less presence in the series opposed to a main character such as she seems to be now.

I agree with people who said that Sonic is not about romance, and "sonamy" would be unfitting in the series because Sonic is the main character, and the main character being involved in romance would mean that the romance would be always in the spotlight.

Recently Amy is getting the main character treatment like Tails, Knuckles and Shadow, but I think she's kinda shoehorned as a main character, she doesn't add very much especially since her personality has been toned down a lot, and the things she does (organize stuff, hack computers) is something that Tails would be way more fitting doing instead.

I'm all for a return of the treatment Amy recived in the classic era, where she was considered a side character and mostly appeared in spin-offs at best, while Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Eggman were the core cast.

As for the romance, I'm not a fan of it, but if the series has to have romance, I'd rather take Silver and Blaze's relationship as canon than Sonic and Amy's.

I hope nobody will be offended by this because last time I criticized Amy on these boards, a user attacked me and accused me to have some weird complex against female characters, something that's absolutely not true, I just find Amy uninteresting and I don't like her much, I have no problems with the other female characters in the series.

15 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

But telling an interesting story because I dunno maybe knuckles gets a boyfriend and he convinces him to leave the island might be kinda neat

It's pretty fun to think about with Knuckles because romance is so far out of his wheelhouse. He can barely handle having friends to begin with. 

It's why I like his dynamic with Rouge a lot. They handle their mutual attraction like a couple of first graders would and just give eachother shit.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Iko said:

I'm all for a return of the treatment Amy recived in the classic era, where she was considered a side character and mostly appeared in spin-offs at best, while Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Eggman were the core cast.

I honestly can't get behind this.It's one step away from saying the series should only have four characters and the others shouldn't exist at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

I honestly can't get behind this.It's one step away from saying the series should only have four characters and the others shouldn't exist at all.

1. "Amy shouldn't be a main character"
2. ???
3. "There should only be 4 characters at all, ever."
4. Profit?

This actually makes no sense, mostly because the classic series had more than 4 characters.