Awoo.

How SonAmy might benefit the series

Owen Deane

Amy and Sonic bouncing off each other romantically would make for a more interesting show dating in their own type of way with Sonic calling adventuring a date as Amy would prefer just spending time with Sonic when eating pizza or watch a movie. Personally I want Amy to have the personality that she had in Heroes and the first Riders game where she was girly with a crush on Sonic and had her own way of doing things unlike Amy in Boom, Forces, Team Sonic Racing and IDW Sonic where she is the same as everybody else minus her girly, teen crush nature. 

In short haters of Amy's personality when she has a crush on Sonic got exaggerated to no end for so long that Sega partially removed Amy from being girly or romantic.

4 hours ago, Iko said:

Recently Amy is getting the main character treatment like Tails, Knuckles and Shadow, but I think she's kinda shoehorned as a main character, she doesn't add very much especially since her personality has been toned down a lot, and the things she does (organize stuff, hack computers) is something that Tails would be way more fitting doing instead.

Recently? She's always kinda been like that though? Even outside the Sonic games. She WAS the 4th hero character.

kWBPOMI.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

This is how I feel. While I have made my feelings about sonic's character related to romance more than known. I don't think its bad, in fact I think it would be really. Sonic's characters particularly in the adventure era forward are kind of coming of age style characters so to speak. And they are popular with kids and young teens. And to have characters they relate to at least have some symblance of romance, not just heteronormative but also LGBTQ+ seems like a pretty good slam dunk idea.

But telling an interesting story because I dunno maybe knuckles gets a boyfriend and he convinces him to leave the island might be kinda neat

Honestly I'd be happy if we could get at least one non-ambiguous LGBT character in the comics or a cartoonor something. But I wouldn't turn down the idea that one or more of the canon characters aren't straight. I mean I've headcanonned most of them LGBT anyway.

5 hours ago, Iko said:

Amy is probably my least favorite character among the recurring ones, and I may be the minority but I think the series would benefit if Amy became a side character with less presence in the series opposed to a main character such as she seems to be now.

I agree with people who said that Sonic is not about romance, and "sonamy" would be unfitting in the series because Sonic is the main character, and the main character being involved in romance would mean that the romance would be always in the spotlight.

Recently Amy is getting the main character treatment like Tails, Knuckles and Shadow, but I think she's kinda shoehorned as a main character, she doesn't add very much especially since her personality has been toned down a lot, and the things she does (organize stuff, hack computers) is something that Tails would be way more fitting doing instead.

I'm all for a return of the treatment Amy recived in the classic era, where she was considered a side character and mostly appeared in spin-offs at best, while Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Eggman were the core cast.

As for the romance, I'm not a fan of it, but if the series has to have romance, I'd rather take Silver and Blaze's relationship as canon than Sonic and Amy's.

I hope nobody will be offended by this because last time I criticized Amy on these boards, a user attacked me and accused me to have some weird complex against female characters, something that's absolutely not true, I just find Amy uninteresting and I don't like her much, I have no problems with the other female characters in the series.

So instead of improving Amy and make her an actual character the solution is to... eliminate her (almost). I don't like this approach. Look I'm all for not shoehorning characters into pointless roles when there are too many, but Amy is important in the series, I want a better role for her.

5 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Honestly I'd be happy if we could get at least one non-ambiguous LGBT character in the comics or a cartoonor something. But I wouldn't turn down the idea that one or more of the canon characters aren't straight. I mean I've headcanonned most of them LGBT anyway.

Uhh. We got that covered with Tangle, or am I seeing things? She has a crush for Blaze, it's there. Even though she doesn't explictly say it, maybe it's better this way, more natural without having to say "I'm gay".

• Fist Bump 2

4 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

Uhh. We got that covered with Tangle, or am I seeing things? She has a crush for Blaze, it's there. Even though she doesn't explictly say it, maybe it's better this way, more natural without having to say "I'm gay".

Ian Flynn has said he personally isn't writing her as any specific sexuality but people are free to interpret her however they please. He's just done with romance in the comics in general. 

Evan Stanley though has said she wants to get full non-ambiguous LGBT characters in the comics and I wish her luck.

3 hours ago, Wraith said:

It's pretty fun to think about with Knuckles because romance is so far out of his wheelhouse. He can barely handle having friends to begin with.

It's why I like his dynamic with Rouge a lot. They handle their mutual attraction like a couple of first graders would and just give eachother shit.

I agree with he top part. I kinda find knuckles and rouge a bit boring? Not that either of them are bad, more so it isn't...unique? Not to say rouge is 100% flirting with everyone she kinda treats most people the same and outside of like a few people they respond in similar ways. You can say the same thing about shadow, just their interactions are more passive aggressive. Maybe rouge is into dudes who don't pay her any mind, with an inflated sense of self importance ? Dunno.

My point is If they made knuckles and rouge, sonic and amy or whoever introduce like unique cool things about their character,  I would beyond down. I just find those two...kinda boring. I like that in just normal relationships in general, i think showing up unique elements of a character is what make romances good. I'm not asking for something super indepth, at the end of the day its sonic. But there's enough room to work with , with all of these characters to expand a bit. And relationships can be a good vessel for that.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

I agree with he top part. I kinda find knuckles and rouge a bit boring? Not that either of them are bad, more so it isn't...unique? Not to say rouge is 100% flirting with everyone she kinda treats most people the same and outside of like a few people they respond in similar ways. You can say the same thing about shadow, just their interactions are more passive aggressive. Maybe rouge is into dudes who don't pay her any mind, with an inflated sense of self importance ? Dunno.

As a huge Rouge fan I have to agree that her interactions with Knuckles, while occasionally cute, really aren't that different from how she acts around others. You could argue she has the same level of romantic chemistry with Sonic and that kills me as a Sonouge fan.

Honestly even with my preferred ship I'd say Shadow and Rouge have a better chance of being a couple. I think of that "Even if the whole world turns it's back on you" line from 06 as a good indication of how they could work.

I can't really see Shadow as the romantic type most of the time. It'd take a lot to get him out of his shell

21 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I can't really see Shadow as the romantic type most of the time. It'd take a lot to get him out of his shell

I can totally see it.

There plenty of ways , though the one I think of the most is, genuinely impress him. I feel like the character in one form of another would have to meet shadow with the same kind of ferocity than shadow carries himself with. He will be impressed and possibly even smitten depending on how you writing it. You could have some badass like dragon lady and he just think she's really cool. If you wanna get funny with it, you could have shadow in that moment be a bit of a jab of all the people who really like shadow. " OH MY GOD SHE"S SO COOL "

You find a badass like him, in some form, they don't have to be the strongest. They could be the smartest, or cunning or even just maybe impressed by their resilience. I feel like shadow despite being a character who is kinda an asshole. He has some base level respect for people able to like go out and do shit , but he thinks kind of little of most of the people he's around, this mixed with a sort of responsibility he feels to protect people. This probably causes his desire to go out and put himself in harms way he feels as though he's the only one who can do this thing and often times doesn't ask for help.

So to find someone who can meet him with same badasserery as he could, I think he would genuinely be impressed.

Now this is just one idea, and there are plenty of others that are probably less...violent. But I like the idea couple of badesses being badassed.

And if you want to get super crazy , hypothetically mentioned person and shadow could have a completely normal relationship, like more normal than everyone else. Everyone else is doing this will they wont they thing on adventures and they are like " We just went to movies , it was a good movie" like the badass is just a mode they turn on when they go out and fight but they are like mad normal.

Oh boy, we're delving dangerously close to shipping debates.

I can't really see Shadow in a romantic relationship, at least with Rouge because I can't see her putting up with so many of his issues. There's a reason she tends to be called the "Mom" of the group.

You'd really need to have the patience of a saint to deal with someone like Shadow.

As for Rouge treating everyone the same, well...she barely interacts with anyone else so :V

8 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I can totally see it. 

Yeah its clear you ship Shadow and Snorlax.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

6 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I can totally see it.

There plenty of ways , though the one I think of the most is, genuinely impress him. I feel like the character in one form of another would have to meet shadow with the same kind of ferocity than shadow carries himself with. He will be impressed and possibly even smitten depending on how you writing it. You could have some badass like dragon lady and he just think she's really cool. If you wanna get funny with it, you could have shadow in that moment be a bit of a jab of all the people who really like shadow. " OH MY GOD SHE"S SO COOL "

You find a badass like him, in some form, they don't have to be the strongest. They could be the smartest, or cunning or even just maybe impressed by their resilience. I feel like shadow despite being a character who is kinda an asshole. He has some base level respect for people able to like go out and do shit , but he thinks kind of little of most of the people he's around, this mixed with a sort of responsibility he feels to protect people. This probably causes his desire to go out and put himself in harms way he feels as though he's the only one who can do this thing and often times doesn't ask for help.

So to find someone who can meet him with same badasserery as he could, I think he would genuinely be impressed.

Now this is just one idea, and there are plenty of others that are probably less...violent. But I like the idea couple of badesses being badassed.

Shadow to me is more like a character That's super mature about some things but really clueless about others. He's seen a lot of real shit but he also just hasn't been around actual people doing everyday stuff for very long, so I saw him as someone who would have trouble expressing those feelings if he came upon them. 

Him being attracted to a badass makes sense. That'd be a fun story to write. I'd personally have more fun pairing him off with someone who's pretty normal since It'd put him in more situations He's not experienced with.

On 8/17/2019 at 7:21 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

....I was going to answer each of your points, but half of the time my answer was "What? You're joking right?" I mean, roof? Potential kids? Really?

UNO: Sonic games aren't about romance.  Ship teasing is to satisfy fans who like that sort of thing, with little interruption to those who don't. Fanfics are for that.

DOS: Amy dream of becoming Sonic girlfriend is core to her character. It's her main dream, drive in life. Changing that in series that plans to go forever on pretty much stable status quo is not a great idea. It would require good writers, giving it a lot of focus, knowing how to handle her in the future, ow wait UNO! I wish there were more stories about boy and a girl who are already couple, rather than tiresome 'will-they-won't-they' , but Sonic/Amy aren't right couple for that

TRES You know how many heros out there are in kinda-sorta relationship? Pretty much every comic hero, Mario, Link, DK, Spyro, Crash, Sly Cooper, Jak and way more. Guys like Kirby, Pit, Samus, Ratchet, Megaman don't have one (maaaybe weak teases). Sonic/Amy relation is very unique and emphasizes unique traits of both characters (Sonic's need to be free, Amy's passion etc). Why ruin it?

Only good reason to canonize SonAmy is "because Amy's characterization in some games was very creepy", but frankly tying knot over that gives strange message. Just write her better in the future Sega (if they did got together, I'm sure terrible writers would know how to ruin her in a new way. Just look at Lost World/Forces Tails.)

Personally I believe SonAmy can only happen

1) In fan work/What-If scenario specially design to explore this posibility

2) In comic/cartoon/sub-series that actually plans to have changing status quo, ideally that plans to end one day.

Going to step in just to say Kirby, Ratchet, and Megman all have girls that like them and the first two either like back or blush or are embarssed around when they show affection.

18 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Shadow to me is more like a character That's super mature about some things but really clueless about others. He's seen a lot of real shit but he also just hasn't been around actual people doing everyday stuff for very long, so I saw him as someone who would have trouble expressing those feelings if he came upon them. 

That's a really cool take and something I considered, not just for like romance... but i general. I was hoping back in boom, and if they ever do another alt universe that shadow's kind of like...tarzan-ey/new broly/thor-ish. Like he's not dumb , he just doesn't know what things are so he can like forumate battle plans but there's a whole segment of people teaching him like... what waffles are. Him loving the waffles and it subsequently becoming his favorite food.

Having him process feelings like that in juxtaposition to his normal action-ey life is good take and to be honest a bit more reasonable than mine. I guess this is why folks suggest shadowXamy alot. Because she's kinda just normal. Though I heard this scenario pitched as Shadow X Vanilla one time and then shadow adopted cream or something

Him being attracted to a badass makes sense. That'd be a fun story to write. I'd personally have more fun pairing him off with someone who's pretty normal since It'd put him in more situations He's not experienced with.

I just really like the idea of of shadow and badass person both simultaniously not understanding how like...feelings work and are trying to figure that out.

Like shadow and like a cool shark lady are fighting and she's like

" Do.. Do you wanna go out sometime" and he's like

" Yes... I think, I think that's how this works yeah "

20 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Yeah its clear you ship Shadow and Snorlax.

I now regret my name

14 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Going to step in just to say Kirby, Ratchet, and Megman all have girls that like them and the first two either like back or blush or are embarssed around when they show affection.

...Who are you talking about for Kirby? There's only one recurring female character, and Adeleine definitely doesn't like Kirby.

Heck, Mega Man's only notable female is also his sister, so that one seems confusing too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, MainJP said:

Recently? She's always kinda been like that though? Even outside the Sonic games. She WAS the 4th hero character.

kWBPOMI.jpg

Yeah, I was about to say, she's been a main character since Adventure 1.

Just now, thumbs13 said:
21 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

...Who are you talking about for Kirby? There's only one recurring female character, and Adeleine definitely doesn't like Kirby.

They're talking about Ribbon...who counts as recurring now.

6 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

Heck, Mega Man's only notable female is also his sister, so that one seems confusing too.  

...I don't think there is a megaman ever that has a romantic interest besides like roll in battle network. Otherwise unless i'm remembering correctly they are just kinda...super fighting robots... then robots that fused with humans to become andriod hybrids.And then farther in the future, humans that are also kinda robots but they evovled so far, its kinda forgotten a bit fused with the soul of megaman and zero

The megaman timeline is strange and features multiple apocalypses

4 hours ago, MainJP said:

kWBPOMI.jpg

To be fair there was a long period where that kinda wasn't the case primarly when they started doing the team stuff. Even still its kind of a constant.

Sonic, Tails amy and knuckles are the rangers,  eggman is the bad guy and introduced later shadow's the white ranger and that's always kinda been the vibe. Amy's always been apart of the crew

Just now, StaticMania said:

They're talking about Ribbon...who counts as recurring now.

Okay, that makes sense, it's just weird to consider Ribbon a love interest, or a character at all honestly.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Having him process feelings like that in juxtaposition to his normal action-ey life is good take and to be honest a bit more reasonable than mine. I guess this is why folks suggest shadowXamy alot. Because she's kinda just normal. Though I heard this scenario pitched as Shadow X Vanilla one time and then shadow adopted cream or something

Amy is a little young for him and vanilla is a little old for him.

The only existing characters I really like pairing him off with are ones that never met him like Blaze or Tikal but that's crack ship territory and you all don't deserve to be subjected to that

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, thumbs13 said:

Okay, that makes sense, it's just weird to consider Ribbon a love interest, or a character at all honestly.

That's rude.

• Chuckle 1

Just now, Wraith said:

The only existing characters I really like pairing him off with are ones that never met him like Blaze or Tikal but that's crack ship territory and you all don't deserve to be subjected to that

Embrace the crack ship

Also isn't shadow like...50+

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

You're talking mental age or physical age? Because Shadow is physically the same age as Sonic.

Just now, Shadowlax said:

Embrace the crack ship

Also isn't shadow like...50+

Chronologically speaking, yes. Physically and mentally? Eeehhh