Awoo.

How SonAmy might benefit the series

Owen Deane

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I mean, Rouge is essentially a Catwoman expy.

Wanna talk about this, kinda in a lost ship of sorts. Ok So this character is gone, but I feel like the dynamic can be replicated. Remember Lien Da, ok so if rouge is catwoman , Lien Da is Talia al Gul. And there's a ship that could work but was introduced in one of the worst sonic comics ever but its shadow and Lien Da. Much like @Wraith shipping shadow is a bit weird due to his aversion to people in general. But I feel like taking out of the context of the 30 years later story or whatever. Shadow and Lien da as a thing is like batman and Talia al ghoul. I can totally see a scenario where Lien Da like character is trying to convince shadow to be evil because she thinks he's the chosen one or whatever. Or to at least join her cult. It sucks that their only interaction is in a terrible alt timeline, but I feel like that dynamic has potential and it would be cool if it were ever replicated with another character.

7 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Wanna talk about this, kinda in a lost ship of sorts. Ok So this character is gone, but I feel like the dynamic can be replicated. Remember Lien Da, ok so if rouge is catwoman , Lien Da is Talia al Gul. And there's a ship that could work but was introduced in one of the worst sonic comics ever but its shadow and Lien Da. Much like @Wraith shipping shadow is a bit weird due to his aversion to people in general. But I feel like taking out of the context of the 30 years later story or whatever. Shadow and Lien da as a thing is like batman and Talia al ghoul. I can totally see a scenario where Lien Da like character is trying to convince shadow to be evil because she thinks he's the chosen one or whatever. Or to at least join her cult. It sucks that their only interaction is in a terrible alt timeline, but I feel like that dynamic has potential and it would be cool if it were ever replicated with another character.

Now that you mention it, the 30 Years Later issue is vaguely reminiscent of the introductions in Arkham City.

14 hours ago, Gumbit said:

Knuckles and Rouge rivalry isn't really ruthless , but in the same time it shouldn't reach the point of intimacy , you can say they can be friend/rival relationship .

As for Rouge teasing Knuckles , I don't really find it something special at all , Rouge basically would tease anyone , she teased Topaz in Sonic X , teased Omega in final in scene in forces ,  teased Vector in IDW comic , teased Knuckles in TSR overdrive , and recently teased him in story mode . So , I don't think romance  is what drives her to tease , it's basically her nature and personality .

Ok, I don't care.

18 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I mean, Rouge is essentially a Catwoman expy.

When will we get a Knuckles comic book that spends it's entire run building up Rouge and Knuckles getting married only for someone to tell her relationship would make Knuckles an ineffective crime fighter.

2 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

When will we get a Knuckles comic book that spends it's entire run building up Rouge and Knuckles getting married only for someone to tell her relationship would make Knuckles an ineffective crime fighter.

I'm not sure.

Wut

7 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I'm not sure.

Wut

It's s reference to Tom King's Batman run. For several issues it built towards Bruce and Selena getting married...just for a bunch of Super villains to convince her that "Relationships make Batman less effective" never mind his 3 Robins, 2 Batgirls and Alfred.

That doesn't make any sense...

Knuckles isn't a crime fighter.

E-123 Omega would tell Rouge that being in a relationship would cause Knuckles to be fine with her being around the M.E. and that makes him a less effective guardian (she's still a thief)...

...and she breaks it off because actually likes the challenge or whatever.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, SBR2 said:

It's s reference to Tom King's Batman run. For several issues it built towards Bruce and Selena getting married...just for a bunch of Super villains to convince her that "Relationships make Batman less effective" never mind his 3 Robins, 2 Batgirls and Alfred.

The he'll? Like, the Joker & Penguin and shit? 

8 hours ago, StaticMania said:

That doesn't make any sense...

Knuckles isn't a crime fighter.

E-123 Omega would tell Rouge that being in a relationship would cause Knuckles to be fine with her being around the M.E. and that makes him a less effective guardian (she's still a thief)...

...and she breaks it off because actually likes the challenge or whatever.

That'd better. 

I think.  :😕

• 2 weeks later...

I probably shouldn't put this topic back at the top of the page, or even bother contributing since being an Amy fan seems to invalidate my opinion, but here goes anyway.

To address the OP, the last thing I want is seeing Sonic and Amy actually get together. Where to even start with explaining it though. While sure I could talk about how Amy brings out Sonic's more awkward side (she is the only female character, and character in general who does this which makes her relationship valuable from a character setting) hat isn't really the thing that I worry about losing. One of the things about Amy for me when looking at the Sonic 4 is that after Tails became the sidekick with Sonic 3 and after, Amy took over the role of the tagalong. In this role, her crush on Sonic drives her to partake and do the best she can. Just partaking in an adventure with Sonic is enough to keep her happy, but as he tagalong, she has to work harder than the Tails or knuckles to justify her presence. Yes it risks being a generic position (just like being the girl does) but being the tagalong also promotes character growth and development. What does she have to do to keep up? What does she have to do to be accepted as more than a tagalong? How can she keep up with her hero with the abilities at her disposal? How can she contribute to the group on a whole? These are all questions that can be addressed and are fueled by her crush on Sonic and her enjoyment of the excitement that experiences by chasing after him. If she was legitimately with him in a housewife kind of way she would lose all of that and become a flat character. it's also part of why I dislike her hammer as it doesn't develop her in a way that lets her keep up or add something that Sonic himself doesn't already do better without giving her Knuckles+ level strength in a series about speed and movement. Sure you could argue that as Sonic's acknowledged instead of self proclaimed girlfriend that she would still follow him on his adventures to prove to herself and everyone that she deserves it, but she already has his attention then and doesn't have anything to strive for or really need to act. It strips her of her agency by taking away her goal and that I feel is a disservice to a status quo story.

To try and be more concise, I prefer Amy chasing Sonic as the "tagalong" as it keeps her motivated, but also in a position where she is part of the group but has to constantly strive to be better and prove she has a reason to be there. It keeps her character dynamic and also justifies her try everything approach which is supported by her constant energy and optimism. And narratively, just being there she can offer emotional support to Tails and Knuckles in those instances when Sonic just leaves them behind or humiliates them. Making Amy and Sonic an official couple destroys that agency which is part of what I enjoy about her character. She's a genki girl, and taking away that energy is what I feel would happen if you made SonAmy official. I'll pass on that thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dont think any ships are at all necessary in this series, nor do I believe they would help in any sort of way. If they exist, cool, but sonic as a concept does not necessitate this kind of stuff whatsoever. 

What I find hilarious is that SonAmy just kinda happened without much fanfare back around 2009.

Sonic and the Black Knight outright says that Sonic and Amy had a date planned. They're just dating in that game, and the series never really showed their relationship transition from "one-sided crush" to "officially dating." We're left to assume it just kinda happened off-screen.

...And then a few years later in Lost World, Amy implies that she's never even told Sonic how she feels about him at all ("I never got the chance to say..."), so a big shrug for the franchise's continuity I guess.

On 9/1/2019 at 11:32 PM, Dr. Mechano said:

What I find hilarious is that SonAmy just kinda happened without much fanfare back around 2009.

Sonic and the Black Knight outright says that Sonic and Amy had a date planned. They're just dating in that game, and the series never really showed their relationship transition from "one-sided crush" to "officially dating." We're left to assume it just kinda happened off-screen.

...And then a few years later in Lost World, Amy implies that she's never even told Sonic how she feels about him at all ("I never got the chance to say..."), so a big shrug for the franchise's continuity I guess.

I haven't played Black Knight in many years and so maybe I'm just forgetting the context of the line in question, but I don't feel like the line warranted being taken seriously as actual confirmation of SonAmy being a thing.  Amy chases Sonic and forces him into situations he doesn't want to all the time.  I feel like I remember interpreting that line as Amy imposing herself on Sonic and calling it a date.  And maybe Sonic playing along because she pulled a guilt trip or something on him.

And while I agree the continuity of the games has never been fantastic or even remotely serviceable for that matter, I can kind of shrug off the inconsistency between Black Knight and Lost World as products of two different teams with two different creative goals.  They're both canon in the same sense that cheesy golden age comics are still considered canon to the modern, edgier counterparts, but it's obvious they weren't developing any game from Colors onward with the previous games as more than a cliffnote in the game's world.

7 hours ago, Tara said:

And while I agree the continuity of the games has never been fantastic or even remotely serviceable for that matter, I can kind of shrug off the inconsistency between Black Knight and Lost World as products of two different teams with two different creative goals.  They're both canon in the same sense that cheesy golden age comics are still considered canon to the modern, edgier counterparts, but it's obvious they weren't developing any game from Colors onward with the previous games as more than a cliffnote in the game's world.

Sure, but forget comparing Lost World to Black Knight. Compare Lost World to all of the past games where Amy had dialogue - or even some games where she didn't, like Sonic CD.

She's super blatant about how she feels about Sonic. She's publicly in love with him, straight-up tells him she wants to marry him multiple times, and makes absolutely no effort to hide how she feels. "I never got the chance to say..." is a weird way of saying "Sonic, I literally say this all the time."

3 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Sure, but forget comparing Lost World to Black Knight. Compare Lost World to all of the past games where Amy had dialogue - or even some games where she didn't, like Sonic CD.

She's super blatant about how she feels about Sonic. She's publicly in love with him, straight-up tells him she wants to marry him multiple times, and makes absolutely no effort to hide how she feels. "I never got the chance to say..." is a weird way of saying "Sonic, I literally say this all the time."

Ah, true.  I hadn't thought of it that way.

Yeah, what a weird statement.  Perhaps they meant, she never told him in such a way that he would see the sincerity of her feelings?  Like, for the most part, Amy's antics are portrayed as comical in nature, so we never really explore the true depth of those feelings if they are sincerely love, just a preteen crush, or what.  This is all just speculation, of course, and it would be bad writing, either way.  Just trying to think of how the writers could manage to forget the ONLY aspect to her character in the majority of her appearances.

32 minutes ago, Tara said:

Ah, true.  I hadn't thought of it that way.

Yeah, what a weird statement.  Perhaps they meant, she never told him in such a way that he would see the sincerity of her feelings?  Like, for the most part, Amy's antics are portrayed as comical in nature, so we never really explore the true depth of those feelings if they are sincerely love, just a preteen crush, or what.  This is all just speculation, of course, and it would be bad writing, either way.  Just trying to think of how the writers could manage to forget the ONLY aspect to her character in the majority of her appearances.

Especially since they also did Generations. 

Also, where the heck was SonicTeam during scenes like that?

This quote from Unleashed/World Adventure makes it sound like more than a preteen crush.

"I still can't believe it's you inside that... THING. But! No matter the package, you're still my Sonic, Sonic!" 
— Amy Rose, Sonic Unleashed.

Maybe it's just me.

27 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

It might just be you...

Likes him for him instead of liking him for...uh... his hair or something. It's what's on the inside not the outside or something like that.

1 minute ago, MainJP said:

Likes him for him instead of liking him for...uh... his hair or something.

It just means she's earnest, lettuce not read into it now.

Like I mean what?  Did you expect her to say "Actually, Sonic, I only like you for shallow, superficial qualities that I vaguely admire but will quickly discard as my interests develop with age?"

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Tara said:

Like I mean what?  Did you expect her to say "Actually, Sonic, I only like you for shallow, superficial qualities that I vaguely admire but will quickly discard as my interests develop with age?"

I think the point might be that the sentiment she claimed she never got across in Lost World could be seen as having been expressed in Unleashed.

1 minute ago, Dr. Mechano said:

I think the point might be that the sentiment she claimed she never got across in Lost World could be seen as having been expressed in Unleashed. 

If that's the case, fair enough.  The framing just seemed kind of weird.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Ehh, yeah that's what I meant.