Awoo.

What is your favorite 'type' of Sonic?

Myst

-Wacky Sonic (Slapstick stuff like Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog or comedy like Sonic Boom. The goofy 'Man of the Year' short from Sonic Jam, or games like Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, which borrows heavily from AoStH.)

-Freedom Fighter Sonic (The DiC universe of 90's shows taking place in a dystopian setting where Robotnik has conquered Sonic's homeworld of Mobius. Sonic and a ragtag group of animal friends join together to fight his tyranny.

This era includes Sonic SatAM which aired on ABC & USA, the sydnicated Sonic Underground, and the Archie comic-book series, which borrowed a lot from the Sonic SatAM cartoon. Characters from this era, such as Sally Acorn, a prominent character during this period, were not featured in any Sega games produced by Sonic Team, with Sonic Team outright rejecting a proposed SatAM-based game during this era.)

-Classic Sonic (You know, the Genesis trilogy, Sonic CD, Knuckles Chaotix, Triple Trouble, Sonic Chaos, Sonic OVA, Sonic Mania, Mania Adventures.

In this universe, Sonic is a carefree hedgehog running through loop-de-loops and jumping on springs in his home of South Island, always trying to stop whatever scheme Dr. Eggman comes up with. Characters like Miles 'Tails' Prower, Knuckles the Echidna, Amy Rose, Mighty, Ray, Metal Sonic, the Chaotix & Fang the Sniper made their debut here.)

-Adventure Sonic (The main cast got a brand new look in this era, which started in 1998, and went on throughout the early 00's. Games like Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 06, Sonic Unleashed and the anime series Sonic X were released in this period, which had darker storylines, ancient monster villains, character deaths, and human beings were prominent in many stories. MANY new faces were introduced in this era including Chaos, Chao, Shadow, Rouge, E123 and Cream the Rabbit, just to name a few.)

-Modern Sonic (Pontac & Graff era of games, beginning in 2010. Newcomer Roger Craig Smith brought his own laidback take to the blue blur, while Sega & Sonic Team gave Sonic's personality a bit more humor and ego. Humans quietly exited the series, going back to an all-animal cast. Characters like Wisps, CuBot & OrBot, Infinite, Dodonpa & the Deadly Six also made their debut. Mostly silly in tone, but can be serious at times too, like Sonic Forces and the IDW comics.)

-Movie Sonic (Time will tell what this version of Sonic will be, and how long it will last..)

3 hours ago, ComeAsYouAre said:

Sonic Colors Sonic is modern not wacky

It's almost as if these categories are arbitrary and subjective.

HMMMMMMMMMMM...

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

You forgot to divide Classic Sonic from Modern Classic Sonic (Generations, Mania, Forces, Mania Adventures), who is a lighter shade of blue and completely mute.

The one when the game's fun. Couldn't care less for the design because both classic and modern are great, despite the shade of blue...

I'm assuming this is talking about personality alongside design, so with that being the case, Adventure Sonic without even a shroud of doubt. Archie, OVA and OG Classic are cool, too, though.

Modern can burn.

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

My favorite type of Sonic is Red Sonic. 

Mine is Yellow. He looks really shy and timid. Ripe for character development.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

15 minutes ago, MainJP said:

Mine is Yellow. He looks really shy and timid. Ripe for character development.

maxresdefault.jpg

I can't tell if you're in on it or just trollin a troll. 

41 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I can't tell if you're in on it or just trollin a troll. 

I know, right? There's nothing shy or timid about Yellow Sonic.

6 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

It's almost as if these categories are arbitrary and subjective.

HMMMMMMMMMMM...

My point is that Wacky Sonic is a bit more Surreal and Felix-Lite rather than a normal quippy Jerk (Colors Sonic)

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, ComeAsYouAre said:

My point is that Wacky Sonic is a bit more Surreal and Felix-Lite rather than a normal quippy Jerk (Colors Sonic)

And my point is that these categories are duff. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If that was your point than literally none of the examples of "Wacky Sonic" actually count as such.

AOSTH barely does for teh surrealness but only due to the art direction.

1 hour ago, BaronGrackle said:

I know, right? There's nothing shy or timid about Yellow Sonic.

That's what I heard. Apparently, he's just a smart alecky wuss.

I'd say most if not all of these are a part of Sonic's overall personality. But even then I like the sillier wacky Sonic because I find some of the "Serious" Sonic's kinda dull. I prefer my Sonic with a wit and attitude rather than being a kinda generic Shonen Protagonist. 

5 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I'd say most if not all of these are a part of Sonic's overall personality. But even then I like the sillier wacky Sonic because I find some of the "Serious" Sonic's kinda dull. I prefer my Sonic with a wit and attitude rather than being a kinda generic Shonen Protagonist. 

Which brings to mind the question: Aren't Shonen protagonists traditionally energized, brash, and determined?

8 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Which brings to mind the question: Aren't Shonen protagonists traditionally energized, brash, and determined?

Eh...yeah, but you can''t exactly get much personality out of those 3 traits alone.

There's gotta be more to it than that.

4 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Eh...yeah, but you can''t exactly get much personality out of those 3 traits alone.

There's gotta be more to it than that.

You can't? Cause those three things are very much about doing things and having strong opinions.

12 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

No, People forget that Goku was not the first Shounen Protagonist, Hanamichi and Yusuke are completely different from Goku for example 

it wasn't untill the people who grew up on Dragon Ball started making their own manga that it started to feel that way ,  and even then you had exceptions like Ichigo, and then you have Shounen Magazine and Sunday Mangas with a hugely diverse Subgenres unlike the Fight Shounen domination of shounen Jump

saying every Shounen protagonist is like that is like Saying every superhero is like Superman

2 minutes ago, ComeAsYouAre said:

No, People forget that Goku was not the first Shounen Protagonist, Hanamichi and Yusuke are completely different from Goku for example 

it wasn't untill the people who grew up on Dragon Ball started making their own manga that it started to feel that way ,  and even then you had exceptions like Ichigo, and then you have Shounen Magazine and Sunday Mangas with a hugely diverse Subgenres unlike the Fight Shounen domination of shounen Jump

saying every Shounen protagonist is like that is like Saying every superhero is like Superman

I was actually thinking about characters like Naruto when I wrote that, but I suppose they raise an interesting point. Ichigo and from what I remember Yusuke are definitely less expressive and aggressive.

With that said, what IS the definition of a shonen protagonist?

15 hours ago, Myst said:

-Wacky Sonic (Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Boom, 'Man of the Year', 'Night of the Werehog', Sonic Colors, Sonic Lost World, Sonic Heroes, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Sonic Shuffle)

-Freedom Fighter Sonic (Sonic SatAM, Archie Comics, Sonic Underground)

-Classic Sonic (Genesis trilogy, Sonic CD, Knuckles Chaotix, Triple Trouble, Sonic Chaos, Sonic OVA, Sonic Mania, Mania Adventures)

-Adventure Sonic (Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 06, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic X)

-Modern Sonic (Sonic Forces, Sonic Generations, Team Sonic Racing, IDW Comics)

I'm going to have to ask you to rework and clarify this man. As it stands, this really is more of a list topic with its railroaded responses.

• Thumbs Up 2