Awoo.

What drove you INSANE in a Sonic game?

Ebby

@Tailikku: Yeah, Frankly kept me from beating the game, only last month I decided to face off and complete the game.

I'm getting better at the 2d games. Years ago I could never have aced Sonic 1 with all 6 emeralds. I never could get the last emerald in Sonic 2 without Knuckles; just used a cheat. I hated those special stages. Never have (came close) to beating Kuncky in S2.

Try beating the Emerald Coast timed mission in SA1. Two MINUTES! What were they thinking? I never had persistence with SA, so I never have gotten all the emblems. Other than that I've pretty much aced all 3D games that can be played on the Gamecube. Don't have the newer systems, but I believe there is no video game challenge I cannot overcome. Putting wholehearted effort is another thing.

As Knuckles they weren't. Official guides on the the SADX website even recommended that you found where the shard were then restarted the level so you could just go for one after the other. You know what? Add all the SA missions to the list of "must re-complete even though you already reached the criteria".

Oh my god!

"Yes yes yes! I'm gonna win this!"

The somebody boosts past you. No worry, you can boost past them in a moment. But no. They fall off the ledge, leaving behind their turbulence. And so you get caught in it and pulled over the edge too. And then you're put back on the track, to be sucked instantaneously into the turbulence again. ARGH!. As it finally fades away, the racers that have lapped you go off the edge, starting the cycle once more.

Well to be fair you can get out of turbulence but chances are people won't know how their first time playing. It's not even shown in the tutorial IIRC.

Well to be fair you can get out of turbulence but chances are people won't know how their first time playing. It's not even shown in the tutorial IIRC.

Not if it works out the way I mentioned it, as even after escaping you can't stop yourself from moving that little bit too far forward. The only way to not get caught is to hug the wall and avoid the turbulence entirely, which isn't easy to do.

Any boss battle against Silver in Sonic 06. Those were obscenely hard even after I figured out how to actually get in to hit him. Also the speed sections. I could've looked past all the other glitches but the speed sections were just so infuriatingly broken I gave up on the game. I can't count the number of times the speed section in Sonic's Crisis City (I think that's the stage name anyway) killed me due to a stupid glitch.

"IT'S NO USE!!!!!!!"

You're right Silver!!! It ISN'T any use!!! *throws controller down and cuts off the 360*

Speed sections are death. You hit a wall and lose rings?!? Um, no Sonic. That's no goood! XD

Two even better words:

Find. Yasmine.

Well said. Mad Space is fucking ANNOYING. No other way can describe it.

But I have NEVER found Yasmine, you need to be stupidly fast on a not so easy level. On top of that... she's a bitch of a little girl. <_<

Finding the chao is Death Chamber is pretty damn irritating too. Also A ranking the first mission of Metal Harbor is difficult to me. I can never make it to the top of that rocket.

What the hell? You're actually bothering to collect the 196 horribly placed medals to get each character into each special stage to unlock the abysmal final battle? Power to ya man, the only reward you're after is another character to play as who's hardly different to Sonic.

Hmm, for me I still know where they're all placed, I could pick up Sonic Advance 2, erase my game, and recollect the emeralds again with everyone. B)

I seem to not have forgotten where those evil medals/rings are =P

-----

Ok now it's a my turn: If there's anything that annoyed me in any Sonic game, it's the "final boss" in Sonic CD. Just the mere site and defeat of it, and it's absolute anti-climaticness, was enough to make me want to shoot my tv. =(

Chaos 4 - It's a boring boss, and having to do it 3 times takes the cake.
I don't know how I forgot this one, considering I was just playing the game a day or two ago.

What's even worse is that, for Sonic and Tails, Sky Chase 1 comes right after. A long boring boss followed by a long boring on-rails shooter.

Got more! I agree on Mad Space, especially Mission 5. That you have to do a giant screw kick to get that last freakin emerald was what kept me from completing the game for months.

Adabat. The bit where you've reached the first bit of jungle, and then you have to do a drift from nowhere to avoid a flippin big canyon. I hated it. At least this shows Sonic Team is listening to people who say Sonic games are too easy. Sarcastic yay.

Sonic Rush Adventure. Sky Babylon. So many balloons blown up and then hitting that unknown godforsaken laser at the bottom. Why????

Big's extra fishing missions incited rage. I beat them, then a few months later, I lost the data fsr. FFS!

Crazy Gadget was horrible first time, but once you master it, it's a fantastic level.

Also the Carnival Night barrel at first, and for a short time that bit in Circus Park expert mode where you have to jump on tiny platforms through fire rings as I didn't have chaos control. RAAGE.

Most of Sonic Rush's bosses are really annoying to consistently S rank too, they just cheat you out of them half the time, and they are boring. I think Sonic Rush is way overrated but that's another rant for another time, Rush Adventure ftw!

Bottomless pits. I hate those stupid, cheating, fall-here-and-you-die things, especially when you are rocketing along with no idea what's up ahead and miss making a jump because you are going so fast. It's just cheap and makes me want to throw the game at wall. But it's not just Sonic games I hate those in, they annoy me in any game.

• Bad Quality Post 1

Bottomless pits don't annoy me that much... except in Sonic Advance 2, Heroes, and Shadow. Jesus christ.

Also remembered Mad Space Hard mode, what a bitch that was as the screw kick is nearly impossible to do and you keep getting owned by the spike balls.

S ranking Big Swell and Whisker vs Johnny is pretty annoying too, you have to be PERFECT to get all the rings AND not lose them AND defeat them quick enough. Not as bad as Huge Crisis boss though, not only is it a lame rip-off of Leaf Storm, but it is really annoying and slow too.

Sonic Rush Adventure. Sky Babylon. So many balloons blown up and then hitting that unknown godforsaken laser at the bottom. Why????

The balloon parts are easy as long as you make sure to position yourself to grab the respawned initial balloon as you fall.

Edited by Cipher

Sonic 1's Labyrinth Zone boss. When I was a kid, that was like the EPITOME of impossible. I got so many game overs at that point I wanted to scream at the screen. And did, for a little bit.

Getting all the way to the final boss in Sonic 2 & Knuckles with all Chaos Emeralds only to get pwn'd all 12 of my my lives and four continues against the final boss...

Carnival Night's barrels in Sonic 3 and not figuring it out for 4 years. IT TOOK ME 4 YEARS TO GET TO ICE CAP BECAUSE OF THAT!!!

Lava Reefs Zone boss in Sonic & Knuckles. When I was younger that was once again something I couldn't get past for a long while. To a lesser extent also Sandopolis Act 2, but I kept getting a little further each time, but that boss drove me nearly crazy when I was younger.

Big's Mission A in Sonic Adventure DX. To this day I have never gotten all 130 emblems fairly. I only have 129. IT'S THAT GODDAMN LAST MISSION AS BIG THE FUCKING CAT! It's not even because I CAN'T do it, I did it in every stage but Twinkle Park because GIANT METAL FISH SEEM TO NEVER APPEAR. And the ONE TIME, the ONE TIME I actually see a metal fish in that stage I fucking accidentally did the respawn trick. GOD FUCKING DAMMIT. I LITERALLY sat there fishing in Twinkle Park for 5 FUCKING HOURS one time. You know how grating the music gets or how freaking boring that is!? I just really wanted Metal Sonic and Tails Adventure and Sonic Blast, but NO. I have to wait for imaginary metal fish in a fucking lunatic funhouse! To this day I can't fully enjoy that stage with anyone because of the fucking hours I spent there FISHING!!! I also in the end used Action Replay just to get all emblems though I was THIS CLOSE to getting them all myself if it weren't for Big having his fucking mind spent on catching big metal fish. I don't even think he can fucking eat those or do whatever he does when he actually catches one. Throw it back in? FOR WHAT PURPOSE!? WHY ARE YOU MAKING ME LOOK OUT FOR FISH THAT DON'T EXIST, BIG? WHY!?

Getting all 326 pathways in Shadow the Hedgehog. OK, I actually didn't do that, but one of my closest friends did and I to this day think he's insane for doing that. And his memory card corrupted shortly after he did that. Ohohoho~

Sonic 2 for the Game Gear in general.

Edited by Rice Golem

Sonic 1's Labyrinth Zone boss. When I was a kid, that was like the EPITOME of impossible. I got so many game overs at that point I wanted to scream at the screen. And did, for a little bit.

Lava Reefs Zone boss in Sonic & Knuckles. When I was younger that was once again something I couldn't get past for a long while. To a lesser extent also Sandopolis Act 2, but I kept getting a little further each time, but that boss drove me nearly crazy when I was younger.

I forgot about that boss!!! I actually forgot! Labyrinth Zone is so evil!!!!! The level is freakishly hard (and it's level 4 for goodness sakes!!!) and you don't even have to HIT him! Yes, if you never knew you know now. And how the HELL do fireballs hit you underwater?! Physics much. Sonic Team? <_<

I've come to love the Lava Reef Boss. It's my favorite in the game. However, it's pretty darn hard the first time. Sandopolis Act 2 isn't so bad after mastery too. Act 1? Evil. Give me the second act any day.

The Carnival Night barrel in Sonic 3, the Labyrinth Zone in Sonic 1, and all of Sonic Next-Gen. Enough said.

I always have Hyper Sonic by this point, so it's just a vaguely boring exercise of "Put the controller on the floor and let the boss handle itself".

In Sonic and the Black Knight, S-ranking missions is so freaking masochistic that I never bother. The ONE that I did do, Great Megalith's normal story-mode "Get to the barrier stone" mission (just so I could unlock Sir Lamorak), took me about five days AND left my Wiimote wrist so over-sword-slashed that I could barely use a pen.

Ow.

I always have Hyper Sonic by this point, so it's just a vaguely boring exercise of "Put the controller on the floor and let the boss handle itself".

In Sonic and the Black Knight, S-ranking missions is so freaking masochistic that I never bother. The ONE that I did do, Great Megalith's normal story-mode "Get to the barrier stone" mission (just so I could unlock Sir Lamorak), took me about five days AND left my Wiimote wrist so over-sword-slashed that I could barely use a pen.

Ow.

Mind you that Sonic & Knuckles was my 2nd video game ever. XD Sonic 1 was the first. I didn't play Sonic 3 & Knuckles until later. But yes, lots of this stuff is easy these days since I've become a far better gamer and know these areas well, but when I first encountered them, they were quite difficult for me and provided all type of hell. XD

Cosmic Fall made me actually contemplate suicide.

Cosmic Fall is hard before you know the route, and still hard once you've played through it some times too. It's still an original level though with am entertaining platform gimmick.

Edited by Blue Blood

Cosmic Fall is hard before you know the route, and still hard once you've played through it some times too. It's still an original level though with am entertaining platform gimmick.

I never got past it. My impatience could not deal with the trial and error of jumping from platforms into that bottomless pit and hoping you'd land on a platform. I enjoyed Shadow... until that level. I havn't touched it since.

It's hard because the deaths are so cheap, you can barely see where you're supposed to go half the time, and you end up making blind jumps while the camera is all like WOAH WOAAH!

Worse still, it isn't entertaining in any way. Plus Vector's voice is horrible. But it's not the worst level in Shadow (that is Black Comet, so many cheap deaths and so much time on those lame discs!)

It's hard because the deaths are so cheap, you can barely see where you're supposed to go half the time, and you end up making blind jumps while the camera is all like WOAH WOAAH!

Worse still, it isn't entertaining in any way. Plus Vector's voice is horrible. But it's not the worst level in Shadow (that is Black Comet, so many cheap deaths and so much time on those lame discs!)

I found cheap deaths due to the atrocity of the homing attack and light dash, nothing else. Vectors voice doesn't have to be there, though the other option (Doom's Eye, since there is no neutral mission) is rather annoying to. I like it anyway.

Apotos day stages in Sonic Unleashed, for a start...Not only did the prompts for sliding under things come up way too late as you're barreling towards them, but you often had those blasted small steps to jump over, too. and I hate those things...I've never been able to judge when they're about to come, and so Sonic ends up getting most of his body slammed against a small wall of mediterranean stone.

Abadat night stage, act 3...dear god...What a way to introduce a new enemy, have them right before the goal and make them necessary in order to get there...Blasted shocker Gaia creatures...I seem to always screw up the timing while grabbing onto the thing, either falling to my death by my own devices or getting shocked while waiting for the other, 'neutral' floating monster to take me away to the entrance of the temple. I've lost so many damn lives trying...

Rail Canyon in Sonic Heroes...Well, let's put it this way, my controller hates it as much as I do...that bloody train that comes along around halfway through the level on the opposite rail owns me every time. I'm either not fast enough or there's some extremely fast rail-switching technique that I don't know about yet...Either way, I better figure it out fast..I've seen from youtube videos that there are even worse examples of this later on in the level...

Scrap Brain Act 2 in Master System Sonic 1 was also a bit of a problem for me and my father, as you've probably seen if you've taken the time to read my 'about me' page. There would always be this part where there were several doors, all operated by switches inside a small area, and if you opened one, you ended up being blocked by another once you had walked through...this happened to us pretty much every time we played...although on an emulator I actually got past this part and made it to the end, collecting a chaos emerald on the way...so, I guess, that was just a temporary annoyance...