Awoo.

What drove you INSANE in a Sonic game?

Ebby

I must admit, Sonic 2 hang gliders are terribly infamous for being unintuitive, especially if you never had the manual like I did.

Now I know how to use them though, I have near full control. In fact, it's effectively using gusts of wind that I can't figure out. Though I barely use the hang gliders in act 2 anyway.

It amuses me that a detailed description of controls for the hang glider appears alongside the level select cheat in the "hints" for Sonic 2 on Gems Collection, haha.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I remember being maddened by this game when I was a kid... I had the Master System version, which is awesome, but reaching the Sky High emerald, and finding the Gimmick Mt. one drove me crazy for many a year (oh, and Scrambled Egg - I never had the manual so had no idea there WASN'T an emerald to find).

Also when I was little, I borrowed a game gear off a friend, who had Sonic 2, and, as you all know, the first boss is stupidly hard in the Game Gear version. As I played it with my childish mind that failed to notice the little details, I couldn't for the life of me work out how this oh so easy boss I'd beaten many a time on Master System was thwarting me time and time again on the little screen.

Edited by JezMM

- Cosmic Fall on Expert Mode. The other stages are pathetically easy for a so called 'Expert Mode' but Cosmic Fall REALLY brings the pain. I recall that a few jumps could barely be made without spindashing first and the way the platforms move is infuriatingly slow or fast. I have to stock lives every time I play Expert Mode solely for Cosmic Fall.

- Accidentally warping to the past in Sonic CD when I want to warp to the future. Or vice-versa.

- When I firsy played SA2, the gravity puzzle in Crazy Gadget. I really wanted to nail that because I wanted to see the hero side story version of the infamous capsule scene after it. It must've taken me a month to fathom.

- Blue Marine Zone in G-Sonic/Sonic Blast was and still is infuriatingly complex and it has a very well hidden exit.

- A LOT of SatSR's gold medal requirements. SatBK is also insanely hard for 5 star ratings, I only need one more 5 star rating to have accomplished the feat of all 5 star ratings in the game but the time barrier mission in Molten Mine is driving me insane.

Edited by Verte

Eggmanland - So long and annoying and the pitfalls were on the offensive. I could never picture anyone in the younger audience beating that stage.

Perfect Dark Gaia - The third round where the boss life was low with Chip Temple(?) was annoying and the final battles had too much QTE's. Even taking down the dragon heads was a pain with the time limit. That too makes me wonder how a person in the younger audience could beat that.

Edited by Shade737

Here goes nothing....

ShtH artificial Chaos and that last GUN soldier.... urgh... how many hours have I wasted to find them.... the good thing tho is that when I reset and tried again I got my A rank and sweared on my fanatic spirit that I would never do these missions unless I were to recieve BOTH th PS3 and 360.

SH.... Chaotix team last second mission in the last level... 2 weeks befofre finally finding that damn 4th last key who was up in a secret area with the laser wall and the platform falling down.

Crazy Gadjet from SA2 with the time mission... took me sometime before finding plenty of shortcuts and do the kamikaze at the colorful floating blocks zone.

Mad Space Hard Mode level nothing else to say.

Dinosaur Jungle's mission where you have to find the egg with the good net spot.... didn't eat eggs for a week after just completing it.

Are most of the Never Get Hit missions of SatSR where throw the controller at the screen types of missions? I almost did....

Crimson Crater's sharp turn.... the most annoying thing wasn't really tring to turn, it was to not fall!! The main cause of people falling down was because of the speed pad forcing you straight up to your doom wich I finally skiped by jumping over it making the sharp turn a piece of cake after.... dang I lost track of counting after 59 times...

Lancelot's Return to kick my... well you know... more then 30 times until I came back with my Crest of Fire.

Besides those, I just snapped when I was so close to get an A or S ranks on all of the sonic games.

Best Example: Cannon's Core.

With that said I'm doing fine on everything else. No problems at all.

Sonic 2's first Game Gear boss. Seriously I've been stuck on this part for years, admittedly I've only ever gotten past it once, it's so damn hard for a first level boss! >.< I've given in trying now.

I can get past the first boss ok on the Master System version, but I've never been able to get past Sky High Zone Act 2, I've tried and tried for years, and I STILL can't control the hand glider.

The barrel in Sonic 3. I've been stuck on this part so many times over the years, still do now sometimes.

Sonic Adventure's Big levels. Argh, I HATED these levels, they drove me f**king crazy!! It took me years to complete Sonic Adventure because of it, one thing I'm not good at is fishing.

Sonic Heroes' Jungle level where the alligators chase you. Me and my friend were stuck on this part for months! It was one of the most annoying things ever! Every time without fail I'd fall off the vines, until one day I just suddenly managed to do it without falling.

I've had Sonic & the Secret Rings nearly a year now, and I STILL haven't managed to get past the cactus thing in Dinosaur Jungle, I even looked it up online for help, but I still can't get past the damn thing. -.- I haven't played it since then. xD

I think these are all the main ones, but there's probably loads of others I've forgotten, it seems most Sonic games drive me crazy! :lol:

One thing that certainly drove me insane was the fact that the player's progress couldn't be saved unless you reached a special post or ring inside a level.

Another thing that drove me insane was the fact that the latter half of the Special Stages for collecting Chaos Emeralds was way too difficult in every single Sonic game that I've seen.

The maximum number of emeralds that I could ever collect was 5.

Asides from that, I can relate to this:

The barrel in Sonic 3. I've been stuck on this part so many times over the years, still do now sometimes.

And I can also relate to this:

Sonic Heroes' Jungle level where the alligators chase you. Me and my friend were stuck on this part for months! It was one of the most annoying things ever! Every time without fail I'd fall off the vines, until one day I just suddenly managed to do it without falling.

Seriously, those vines and that aligator were a torturous experience to overcome rather than being an enjoyable experience.

I would've preferred it better if the developers just confined themselves to using the giant frogs and the mushrooms. :D

Definitley the Big Levels in Sonic Adventure. Why did they think it would be such a good idea to put FISHING in a Sonic game? Those levels are slow, boring, humiliating to play and fucking hard. I haven't even gotten past the first Big level, its that bad, and I dont think I want to get past it, because then i'd have to see how bad the other Big levels are.

Edited by LimeTH

I must be one of the few who found joy in Big's levels because they were easy. After actually bothering to read the instructions and figuring out that success was just a matter of a button push and flick of the control stick, I breezed through with enough ease to actually bother wanting to fish for the sake of doing so. My enjoyment was further aided because I actually like to fish in real life. Nothing quite satisfying like hooking a scaly lil' bastard and dragging him right of his house.

But on the subject of Adventure, my biggest gripe with it and currently my most prominent pet peeve of rage in this series is my inability to start Gamma's Hot Shelter in DX. I don't know if it's just me or not, but after I solve the little Eggman puzzle to Hot Shelter, I just can't seem to squeeze that robot's body through the door far enough to activate the stage. It seems to start due to sheer luck when it feels like cooperating with me, but I've not had such luck recently, thus that particular file is just sitting on my memory card and collecting dust. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Goddamn robot....

I'll agree, once you get the trick, Big's levels are easy. Ice Cap was hardest first time for me, as I thoroughly explored to find Froggy - when he's right near the start.

Something about Big's fourth and final stage, Hot Shelter, was made damn epic by the little platforming obstacle course you had to do to reach the water, lol.

Admittidly though, as easy as Froggy is... collecting enough fish for level A on each stage? Never been arsed with that one.

I must be one of the few who found joy in Big's levels because they were easy. After actually bothering to read the instructions and figuring out that success was just a matter of a button push and flick of the control stick, I breezed through with enough ease to actually bother wanting to fish for the sake of doing so. My enjoyment was further aided because I actually like to fish in real life. Nothing quite satisfying like hooking a scaly lil' bastard and dragging him right of his house.

By mentioning the "memory card" with respect to Gamma I presume you're playing the Dreamcast version? With the amount of hate-filled vitriol I've seen on the Big's fishing topic here, I have to suspect there might have been a significant difficulty hike between the original and the DX version of Sonic Adventure where Big's concerned. 'Cos I was just like Nepenthe. I found Big's fishing to be easy, enjoyable, and just all-round relaxing on the Dreamcast.

Now, training up the Chao on the LCD memory cards for the Dreamcast... THAT was the annoying part of Adventure 1.

By mentioning the "memory card" with respect to Gamma I presume you're playing the Dreamcast version? With the amount of hate-filled vitriol I've seen on the Big's fishing topic here, I have to suspect there might have been a significant difficulty hike between the original and the DX version of Sonic Adventure where Big's concerned. 'Cos I was just like Nepenthe. I found Big's fishing to be easy, enjoyable, and just all-round relaxing on the Dreamcast.

Glad to see another Big fishing fan. :D

Anyways, I was actually referring to the Gamecube port as well; I don't even know the last time I booted up my Dreamcast. However, I do remember a bit of difficulty with his levels, but I experienced the same thing when I played DX until, again, I actually bothered to use the instruction manual for what it was meant for. I chalk up my Dreamcast experience as me just not knowing how the hell to play his levels properly.

Fishing with Big in SA1 and every line of dialogue in every Sonic game since they decided the characters should talk. Okay, doesn't drive me insane as the topic title puts it, because they're just videogames, but those things did irritate me. Oh yeah, and treasure hunting levels, especially that really shit Rouge one in space.

The only time Sonic Heroes special stages really got to me was if you tried to use Team Rose. Big is by the far the most useless character for the later special stages but Amy and Cream aren't exactly useful either.

Really? It's with Team Rose that I get all Emeralds. It's easier (I think).

About Big, the 2000g class was pretty hard to find, let alone get. But just to move on with the story, I agree that it was pretty easy, and not annoying at all.

Edited by redmenace

But on the subject of Adventure, my biggest gripe with it and currently my most prominent pet peeve of rage in this series is my inability to start Gamma's Hot Shelter in DX. I don't know if it's just me or not, but after I solve the little Eggman puzzle to Hot Shelter, I just can't seem to squeeze that robot's body through the door far enough to activate the stage. It seems to start due to sheer luck when it feels like cooperating with me, but I've not had such luck recently, thus that particular file is just sitting on my memory card and collecting dust. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Goddamn robot....
Waaaait a sec, something's wrong here...there isn't any puzzle to open Hot Shelter...

I think you're confusing either Sonic's entrance to Final Egg (turn on all the lights) or the entrance to the Egg Carrier chao garden (spell "Eggman") with Hot Shelter's entrance (which is the center of the three doors opposite the latter, and at most all you need to do is jump on a button...).

If not, I'm completely stumped, as I've never had the slightest bit of trouble getting into Hot Shelter...

Waaaait a sec, something's wrong here...there isn't any puzzle to open Hot Shelter...

I think you're confusing either Sonic's entrance to Final Egg (turn on all the lights) or the entrance to the Egg Carrier chao garden (spell "Eggman") with Hot Shelter's entrance (which is the center of the three doors opposite the latter, and at most all you need to do is jump on a button...).

If not, I'm completely stumped, as I've never had the slightest bit of trouble getting into Hot Shelter...

I must've confused the names of those levels as I tend to then; It has to be Final Egg. The point in the game I'm referring to is when you're led to the Mystic Ruins at nighttime, presumably after your stint in Red Mountain. The entrance to the crashed Egg Carrier is then made available and you're prompted to do that puzzle where you turn on the lights. When I get that out of the way, most times I have trouble getting into the stage with Gamma. He seems to clip wildly within the door or just get stuck against an invisible wall when I walk him in. Sonic actually has the same problem to an extent, but I'm assuming that since his model is smaller, he can just bypass whatever in the hell goes on. And again, this happens on DX.

I hope to God that I haven't actually forgotten how to progress and thus have been trying to access a stage that I possibly can't with Gamma. :lol:

Edited by Nepenthe

Aha, now I see. That's not the crashed Egg Carrier, just the base where it docked. The Egg Carrier's out in the ocean; you get to it by taking the boat under the Mystic Ruins train station or across from the Station Square station.

And it's definitely Hot Shelter you're looking for; Final Egg was Gamma's first level (and he enters it through the door to the left of the light puzzle, if I remember correctly; the bit with the lights has nothing to do with Gamma).

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah yes, the little raft; I remember now... Well, that's quite the embarrassing reminder. Thanks for that.

....I guess I should now find another Sonic pet peeve of mine to save some face. xP;;

Edited by Nepenthe

Yep, that's it. Gamma starts in the Final Egg, since that's Eggman's main base. Then he goes for Egg Carrier duty before running off on his own missions. By the end of his story the Egg Carrier's in the ocean. I know it's kind of confusing, since Eggman's got two bases and Gamma does it backwards. I went to Final Egg a few times too. :P

Edited by Ezra the Badnik

Final Rush. When I first beat Crazy Gadget, I was thinking if thats the hardest action stage then I should have no problem. Then I see a shit ton of rails ahead of me. A skill that I thought wasn't really important(Until this stage, you can beat most of the levels without grinding once). I was frustrated as hell. I didn't have the precision back then to complete the level. It took me a week to finish and all 99 lives. Pissed me off.

Sky Deck. That damn airship sequence made me throw my controller because I couldn't figure out where exactly should I go. Plus the fact that some shit was incredible cheap.

Arid Sands Day Act 1. When I first played this, it was the first day stage that didn't warn you about oncoming obstacles. It didn't try to assist you when you sure as hell needed it. No fair warning or anything. You have to see it coming which is especially hard because at this point, Sonic is nearly maxed out.

Skyscraper Scramble Day Act 1. Fuck this level. Unlike the other levels, this level isn't even fun. It's incredibly cheap. The shortcuts are stupid and everything seems just random. I still haven't even managed to S rank this level and dammit I really don't want to because the sheer hatred for this botched up piece of shit.

Jungle Joyride Day Act 1. This level is fun and challenging in it's own way. When I first played it, I took my time. Now I can beat it, no problem.

Eggmanland.TRYufdlahglfdajklaiur743r76*(87r9....thats all I have to say.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Sky Deck. That damn airship sequence made me throw my controller because I couldn't figure out where exactly should I go. Plus the fact that some shit was incredible cheap.

It took me 29 minutes to beat that level. I remember that. Flying off the ship. Getting shot by robots. Freaking out when the ship tilted, "OH GOD!!!! WHAT IS GOING ON NOW!!!!!"

Skyscraper Scramble Day Act 1. Fuck this level. Unlike the other levels, this level isn't even fun. It's incredibly cheap. The shortcuts are stupid and everything seems just random. I still haven't even managed to S rank this level and dammit I really don't want to because the sheer hatred for this botched up piece of shit.

Um. Really? I have no gaming skills and I can S-rank this. Just saying.... I think it's fun too, my second favorite level. Right under Rooftop Run Act 1

Eggmanland.TRYufdlahglfdajklaiur743r76*(87r9....thats all I have to say.

Eggmanland is hard, but it still has nothing on Cannon's Core....

• 2 weeks later...

What drove you INSANE in a Sonic game?

I wouldn't really say it drove me insane, it was more of a WTF annoyonce moment, and that moment was:

When the Penguinator killed me twice, it freaking sneaked up on me when I was looking up at something on the celing in icecap, i lost some rings, but I fell into the water and died. Then I put the remote down (and forgot to pause) to get some Grape Juice, the god damn BLOODY thing came again and skied my ass into a bottomless pit XD!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say in the 8-bit sonic the Hedgehog jungle boss, the one where he drops the little bombs and they role back and forth on your little platform, god I always lose sooo many lives.

Also for all you carnival barrel lovers.

1254196823112.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Eggmanland is probably the most frustrating thing that I've ever had to deal with in a Sonic game. The difficulty spike from Adabat to Eggmanland is honestly ridiculous. What the developers were thinking when they made that stage so stupid hard I have no idea.

Nothing in any other Sonic game comes close.

• Thumbs Up 1