Awoo.

Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection (February 2020)

Radiant Hero Ike

Leaked on the PSN Store just a little bit ago, a new Mega Man collection! Has all six games (Zero 1-4, ZX and ZX Advent), new features like a casual mode, mid stage save assists, a gallery and music player, along with some filters and such.

https://youtu.be/cXnCZvvOHJw

I've never gotten the chance to play these, so I'm really excited! The trailer only says PS4 but I'm pretty sure that's just because it's a trailer from the PSN Store.

EDIT: in my rush to post this I forgot to mention the new Z-Chaser mode! Looks like a speedrun race to see who can beat the stage the fastest.

• Thumbs Up 6

Oh, wow. This was unexpected, lol.

I probably wouldn’t buy this cuz I don’t like the Zero games very much, but it’s nice that Capcom atleast acknowledge the other Mega Man games out there and care about them enough to make them a lot more accessible to people with these collections.

Granted, I doubt they care enough to develop new games within these side-series, but baby steps, baby steps.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can’t wait for this, haven’t played the Zero series!

Really hope a Legends re release will come next.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm a huge Mega Man fan but never got around to the Zero/ZX games. I actually own the collection on DS already but I'll probably just buy this anyway to play on the big screen. 

• Thumbs Up 1

f8a.jpg 

I've been waiting a long time to play these games, as they were either hard to find, or hard to find, maybe even hard to find, unless you used an emulator. Hopefully, it will come to the Switch too, fitting right at home with my bunch of Mega Man games.

If they’re gonna do this then give us fucking ZX3 already, goddammit!

It’s been more than ten years already!

I thought they practically stopped bothering with this series. 

I hope Casual Mode is true to its name, because most of the MMZ games are hard as balls. Haven't tried ZX yet, but this will be a good oportunity.

This also proves that DS games are able to be ported in some fashion, so it opens the possibility of the late BN and SF titles.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Soniman said:

Hey cool awesomene a new collection 

Put it on Switch 

Switch, PC and Xbox One versions just confirmed!

41 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Excellent news.

I just hope Capcom puts all the games on the cart this time but I'm looking forward to getting this. I own Zero Collection in DS and played it for a while, but I have no problem upgrading if it's including more games.

44 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

AYYYYYYYYYYYY Thanks Capcom 

• 4 months later...

Missed this, but a trailer released showcasing a gameplay showcase between X!Zero and Zero!Zero

• 2 weeks later...

This thing's out in less than a month and I am beyond excited for it. I've been playing every single Legacy collection on the PS4 and these are solid efforts, so my confidence in this one turning out alright has been boosted somewhat. I'm mostly wary about the PC version due to the random problems that have plagued some Steam releases (X Legacy having input lag and Classic Legacy 2 having online-only requirements). But if Capcom doesn't fuck this up then I'm buying this shit on multiple platforms. The Zero series is host to some of the best action platformers ever made and Zero Collection on the DS was the first truly great compilation that the Mega Man series ever had. I still cherish my DS copy but I'm hoping this new version surpasses it in every way and carries over all of its unique features including Zero 3's e-reader perks.

The one thing that would make me lose my mind more than anything is if a Battle Network and Star Force collection follows after this. Every Mega Man platformer series is fun but BN is my favorite of the bunch, due to it having one of the most unique and engaging RPG battle systems ever made. Even when I'm playing the worst games in the series (1 and 4) I can still have a ton of fun with them because the battle system is like fucking crack to me. I just spent two hours earlier tonight replaying BN1 from the beginning, which is mechanically the worst BN game, but I hardly care because the core addictiveness is still there in spades. I'd be the first in line for a Battle Network collection which I've been wanting ever since Zero Collection came out ten years ago, and I was disappointed that Capcom never opted to make one in favor of DS ports of 5 and the Japan-only 1. Just give me my BN collection Capcom and I will never ask for anything Mega Man-related ever again.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/26/2020 at 10:18 AM, Sean said:

I still cherish my DS copy but I'm hoping this new version surpasses it in every way and carries over all of its unique features including Zero 3's e-reader perks.

This seems to be the definitive way to play Zero. The soundtrack includes the DS Collection's remastered soundtrack, has all anime cutscenes in an uncompressed form, has all of the E-Reader content from Zero 3, as well as the content from ZX/Advent that required the GBA slot, has a save assist mode, as well as a form of Rookie Hunter, if you want to make the games a little easier, and has a massive ton of extras on top of it all. The DS integration is also apparently well handled by having the user use the right analog to control the touch screen, and it works fairly smoothly. There's a ton of screen options to relegate how you want the screen cropped. 

On top of that - like previous collections - you can play the Japanese versions as well, if you prefer the uncensored version of Zero with the blood.

On 8/27/2019 at 4:48 PM, Zaysho said:

I just hope Capcom puts all the games on the cart this time but I'm looking forward to getting this. I own Zero Collection in DS and played it for a while, but I have no problem upgrading if it's including more games.

It either has to be on one cart, or just be a download code included in a case with no cart at all - All the games are in one collection this time around, and you press the L1/R1 (or your console's version of them) buttons to switch between Zero and ZX series on the main menu. Since there's only one collection on the EShop, which is the full collection, it's impossible to separate them for a physical release.

The only reason Legacy Collection and XLC got away with it was that they had split all of the games into two separate collections altogether, meaning one could be included on the cart, while the other could be downloaded. Since there's only one full collection this time around, it has to be all physical, or all downloadable. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Got my copy from Best Buy. Kind of peeved that I didn't get the preorder code and I've tried contacting them about the issue to no avail. I don't want to return my game since I bought it regardless of the DLC, it's just annoying to put up with. I'm hoping it's not long before Capcom puts it up for free like they did with MM11's instrumental tracks.

Thinking about doing another run through Zero 3 in this collection and playing ZX Advent for the first time. I'm not gonna do the rest since I just finished a marathon of the Zero series recently and I've moved onto the Battle Network and Star Force games, but I'll always accept any reason to replay Zero 3.

The best thing about this collection is the save assist mode, and nothing will convince me otherwise. Perfect compromise for getting rid of the awful save system in Zero 1 and I wish that X8 in XLC2 had it. 

Unlike the casual mode on the DS game - which steers too far in the other direction, while nullifying the bad save system - making the game too easy in the process, Save Assist here keeps the game as difficult as it always was, but just making it that you have unlimited lives. I honestly really like this the most out of all the options presented in any collection.

MM LC used a full save state and rewind function, which was good but still a little easy. I will forgive it for nullifying the cheap difficulty for MM 1-6 though, LC2 used a weird save system similar to Z/ZX, but just not as good. XLC kind of was shit because it forced you to use rookie hunter or just play it normally, bullshit and all (Terrible for games like X6 and X8). Zero has hit the perfect balance and I want to see them use it for any collections going forward.

Does dying with save assist enabled still affect your end-of-level ranking? That's the only thing stopping me from using it 'cause I like going for As in these games, particularly Z2 and 3.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 11:02 PM, Sean said:

Does dying with save assist enabled still affect your end-of-level ranking? That's the only thing stopping me from using it 'cause I like going for As in these games, particularly Z2 and 3.

Late reply, but no it doesn’t.  Save assist basically means you’re never penalized for losing a life, it’s pretty much diet save states.

On 2/26/2020 at 4:02 AM, Sean said:

3 hours ago, SonicWindAttack said:

Late reply, but no it doesn’t.  Save assist basically means you’re never penalized for losing a life, it’s pretty much diet save states.

This. It's also abuseable in certain places for easy grinding of E-Crystals (well, easy by MMZ standards). If you can find an area with a save assist, and several items, you can collect the items, hit the save assist checkpoint again, and reset to respawn the collectables but keep the ones you collected previously.

It helps out a lot on MMZ4 - there's a spot in Underground Forest where there's four large crystal spawns right next to the checkpoint, one to the right, and one on the upper right path where there's three poles surrounded by walls of spikes on either side, and vine walls on the top left and right. Get the crystals from the right first, then climb up to the upper left, grab the crystals there, and go back to the checkpoint and reload the save assist. If you make sure the weather is also cold, the vines won't regrow.