Awoo.

The Lion King & Aladdin Mega-Drive/SNES games getting HD Release October 2019 (Switch, PS4 & Xbox1).

TheOcelot

At GameStop Con, Disney announced that the Mega-Drive/SNES games; Lion King and Aladdin are getting HD Remasters for the Switch, PS4 and Xbox1 (this is not a remake like DuckTales Remasted), it's just a HD release of the original early 90's games.

Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis classics The Lion King and Aladdin are getting HD remasters and releasing on PS4, Xbox One, and Switch this fall. The news first leaked out of GameStop Con by Twitter user @wolverinefactor and was later confirmed by GameXplain with an image of the collection's marketing material and case designs.

Reportedly, both games will be bundled into one HD remaster physical collection and will be playable in the original and 1080p resolutions. Both the original and SNES/Genesis soundtracks will be included as well as additional features, as confirmed by a separate source to Gematsu. Apparently, you'll be able to give the wheel to the game for instructionals and fast-forward and rewind to any point in the game.

lion-king-aladdin-hd-remasters-740x534.jpg]

Apparently should be available to pre-order from Gamestop today.

Still waiting for more specific details, but a current-gen rerelease of both these excellent games - I've played the Mega-Drive versions many times - is very cool indeed.

So..are they actual remakes or remasters? Since the games industry tends to forget the difference.

Or I can just play my original carts in 1080p on my Mega SG. Pass.

Spoiler

In all seriousness though, I just can't wait for the Lion King to brutalize a generation unprepared for its crap and for all the reviewers and youtubers/streamers to declare it the new Dark Souls.

33 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

So..are they actual remakes or remasters? Since the games industry tends to forget the difference.

Still waiting for more info, but as far as we're aware it just remasters.

Trailer. Includes every version of the Virgin Aladdin and Lion King games plus extras and difficulty-easing features. 

Was more into the Capcom Aladdin, but it's still neat to see more of these old Disney games get rereleased. Hopefully it'll do well enough to warrant that Disney Classic Games banner sticking around.

• Nice Smile 1

(Dammit, beaten to the punch! Stupid wi-fi...)

Well, guess I can provide a list of the confirmed games and features coming to the collection, courtesy of IGN:

GAMES

• Disney’s Aladdin - SEGA Genesis version
  • Disney’s Aladdin - Game Boy version (includes “Super Game Boy version,” which implies a bit more color, Super Game Boy-style)
  • Disney’s Aladdin Final Cut - We don’t know what this is but asked (we haven’t heard back)
  • Disney’s Aladdin Trade Show Demo - A demo version “that has not been publicly available since 1993,” according to the press release
  • The Lion King - SEGA Genesis version
  • The Lion King - Super Nintendo version
  • The Lion King - Game Boy version (also includes “Super Game Boy" version)

FEATURES

• Upscaled graphics (Although you can access the original builds, too)
  • Filters for visual enhancement (It looks like scanlines are simulated in the screenshots)
  • Customizable controls
  • Interactive Game Viewer that lets you watch a pre-recorded play and jump into the game at any time, like the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection
  • A rewind feature so you can undo your mistakes on the fly
  • An “explorable museum” of “behind-the-scenes development assets including interviews,”
  • Art gallery
  • Music player

• Nice Smile 1

Gotta be honest, it kind of feels like a reach for a collection when it's just the same game plastered a few times on different systems.

Honestly, I would've liked a general SNES/Genesis Disney collection. Lion King, Aladdin, Goof Troop, Toy Story, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Harkofthewaa said:

Or I can just play my original carts in 1080p on my Mega SG. Pass.

Hide contents

In all seriousness though, I just can't wait for the Lion King to brutalize a generation unprepared for its crap and for all the reviewers and youtubers/streamers to declare it the new Dark Souls.

Well,  with it being in 1080p, the screen crunch shouldn't be nearly as bad nowadays. 

You know, now that I think about it, one thing they could do with these is redraw the graphics to remove the absolutely horrendous amounts of dithering the games had, Genesis Aladdin in particular, which abuses it so heavily that not even the Mega SG's dither filter can really save it. For Example:

177773451_aladdinscreen.jpg.0567dbfcf78d3837297226a79636203b.jpg

Notice those lines in the sand. That's basically what the whole game looks like when played on anything other than the Genesis's crappy composite. Of course, that was the whole point since they had to find ways around the Genesis's limits somehow, but now that these games are getting prettied up for rerelease then the presence or lack of this will be a good measuring stick for if they are putting any effort into this.