Awoo.

Nigel Dobbyn (Former Sonic the Comic Artist) Has Passed Away

Tracker_TD

Incredibly unfortunate news. Never met him but always seemed like a very nice, humble person. His artwork and contribution to StC was incredible and has influenced me and thousands more. Never read 2000AD but I’ll have to give it a go one of these days. A big shame he died so young. He won’t be forgotten.  

Everyone should check out his deviantart as well and give their thoughts. https://www.deviantart.com/handtoeye

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, goodbye Nigel. You were only STC artist that DIDN'T drew Knuckles like this

image.png.ba50082b4e8b0dd2e0b03e5484dc5267.png

Yes, Fleetway looked at that one promo pic of Knuckles and though "my tooth hurts" grin is 24/7. Also the chest moon is now a necklace, but that I never minded.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Well, goodbye Nigel. You were only STC artist that DIDN'T drew Knuckles like this

image.png.ba50082b4e8b0dd2e0b03e5484dc5267.png

Yes, Fleetway looked at that one promo pic of Knuckles and though "my tooth hurts" grin is 24/7. Also the chest moon is now a necklace, but that I never minded.

I always knew his chest crescent looked weirder than normal but never saw it like that.

Now I can't unsee it.

ZGzKZRR.jpg

Oh my, this is a shock...

I met Nigel a couple of times myself, most extensively at StCC last year. A great guy, and a great artist. He left us way too soon.

• Thumbs Up 2

Is this really the place to complain about bits of designs, really ? Have some tact, people ! :rolling_eyes:

On topic, that's a huge loss. Nigel's paintings are brilliant and a huge inspiration, I got back to using watercolors thanks to him. Also, he was a very kind person. I never had the chance to meet him in person, but we chatted a few times and it was a pleasure. RIP.

• Thumbs Up 7

12 minutes ago, Adamis said:

Is this really the place to complain about bits of designs, really ? Have some tact, people ! :rolling_eyes:

I'm not really complaining, but sorry about going off topic.

Sad to hear it, met him at a few Summer of Sonics, was such a nice guy. I remember best the one in 2013. I had been unlucky and busy so couldnt meet him but at the end of the convention I saw him sitting by himself. I took my only copy of a Sonic the Comic to him and asked if he could sign it, which he was glad to. Told him that I had gotten it from a friend who kept finding them in hospitals, which made him laugh. Rest in peace Nigel, we'll miss you.

• Thumbs Up 2

RIP Mr. Dobbyn thankyou for drawing the raddest panel ever of Knuckles flying in the back of a Pteradactyl.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Osmium said:

Incredibly unfortunate news. Never met him but always seemed like a very nice, humble person. His artwork and contribution to StC was incredible and has influenced me and thousands more. Never read 2000AD but I’ll have to give it a go one of these days. A big shame he died so young. He won’t be forgotten.  

Everyone should check out his deviantart as well and give their thoughts. https://www.deviantart.com/handtoeye

I always find it a very odd feeling to see an account on the internet that belongs to someone who is deceased. I guess part of it is just that the internet has only been popular for around 20 years or so and most of the people using it historically have been young people. I guess this is only going to become more common as the internet matures as a medium.

That being said I wonder if his art will get to stay up or if the website is going to take it down?  I have no idea what the policy is for that sort of thing.