Awoo.

SEGA planning to announce X360/PS3 motion sensing games soon

Gatestormer

(If you saw the title from the SSMB main page as 'SEGA planning to announce X360...', I apologise :P as this may not be as exciting as it seemed)

I put this in Sonic discussion as Sonic could be the main subject in here, if Mods think it belongs in Videogames, then move it at will.

SEGA planning to announces Natal/Sony Wiimote stuff soon

Project Natal and the Sony Wiimote have been with developers for a while, and the world waits with a mixture of anticipation and dread for the unique games (as well as horrible shovelware) that the "new" technology will bring to Xbox 360 and PS3 users. Sega looks like it'll be among the first to announce motion control games for these systems, hoping to reveal the fruits of its labor early next year.

"We'd like to think that in early 2010 we'll be making announcements about both of those platforms," offers Sega boss Mike Hayes. "We have our ideas and we know what we want to do, but the technology is pretty new, particularly with Natal, so we've got to get to grips with the technology and see if it can do what we want it do.

"I kind of think of it as the land of bunsen burners and test tubes."

I can't wait for the inevitable bad Sonic the Hedgehog game that's going to be announced next year. It's going to be like clockwork.

Reading the article and the comments, I find it pretty stupid that everybody assumes that Sonic will take another bad hit from this. We don't even know if they're going to involve Sonic in this. I find it very doubtful that Sonic will take motion sensing into the mainstream games. All the Sonic motion sensing we've had so far is sports which have all been pretty succesfull (M&S, Superstars Tennis) and the storybook series, which while having bizarre settings (swordplay), the actual motion sensing as technology was fine. I suppose it might even mean that the storybook series ends up a multi platform series.

I'm personally interested to see what SEGA have up their sleeves (if anything) for Sonic, and indeed all their other franchises to.

...Not sure what else to say except, discuss.

Edited by ENVY16

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eXtaticus

• blackherox

• Legendary Emerald

• Barry the Nomad

I'm hoping that a motion-sensitive Sonic title won't be anything like Sega's EyeToy PS2 game...

I'm not knocking Sega Superstars or anything, it's just that I'm sick of all the blood gushing from my arms, ultimately resulting in extreme nerve pains over periods of elongated play...

Mind you, they could port it for use as a bonus extra...

I'm hoping that a motion-sensitive Sonic title won't be anything like Sega's EyeToy PS2 game...

I'm not knocking Sega Superstars or anything, it's just that I'm sick of all the blood gushing from my arms, ultimately resulting in extreme nerve pains over periods of elongated play...

Mind you, they could port it for use as a bonus extra...

I'd like to see a combo re-relase of the Sonic storybook games with Natal support.

I'd like to see a combo re-relase of the Sonic storybook games with Natal support.

That would be a great idea... if Sega could release a magical mod for those games that made them DECENT instead of total pieces of shite - now THAT would be an education in games design!

As far as I'm concerned they should just focus developing there main Sonic efforts for the Wii. However, I'm sure Sega's other franchises like Valkryia, Yukuza, Virtual Tennis etc can benifit from this.

Ehh, both storybook games were fun little games, Secret Rings being the better of the two. I could see Sonic & Secret Rings being controlled by Natal, but that could just as easily be done with that little white scale of Nintendo's that was inexplicably marketed as a video gaming device.

I wonder if Prope's "tap" ideas could be used for a Sonic kind of running game. It didn't stop them from making it before these motion sensors were announced. I thought the game was better suited to the DS, I never really got the novelty.

Anyways. Good for Sega, they need to jump on the new tech that's out there. Who says Sonic needs to use it?

Who says Sonic needs to use it?

Exactly. House of the Dead on 360/PS3 using motion could be pretty decent.

Who says Sonic needs to use it?

Sega, pretty much.

Whenever new tech comes out, Sega is always the first to jump on it. And Sonic will eventually become involved. Secret Rings for the Wii, Sega Superstars for the EyeToy, even Sonic N on the N-Gage (just a port, but still). You can pretty much gaurantee Sonic titles (or titles with Sonic starring in them) on Natal or using the PSWand.

Well, the PS wand-thing could probably make the adventure book series a bit more in depth, but they would translate really well.

As for Natal, well, anything could happen. I don't think I would like to play SatSR by just waving my arms around without holding something >_>

Waggling > Arm flailing, IMO.

Ever since Natal was announced during E3, I was an immediate skeptic about it. I don't want to play games that wants me to use my entire body for it, and it is could get me tired very easily than waggling the Wiimote. Also, what would the gameplay would be like for a Natal Sonic game? It might not be very good, and you might not feel the speed of the Sonic game if you have to use your whole body and probably run out of stamina after about 1/4 of the game. It makes me cautious about it.

I can't wait for the inevitable bad Sonic the Hedgehog game that's going to be announced next year. It's going to be like clockwork.

I love how they just had to jump the Critic's Bandwagon, but I digress.

Anyways, I think a Sonic game could be done nicely for Natal if was made in a way similar to an on-rails Mirror's Edge, with rolling thrown in the mix (by crouching of course, since spinning in a ball faster than sound is indeed impossible).

The PSWand, however? They should pass on that. It's basically Sony's really bad excuse of ripping off Wii MotionPlus. Natal seems extremely innovating, while the PSWand looks like the same old, same old IMO.

Edited by Black Ranger Azukara