Awoo.

Official UK Report regarding Loot Boxes in Games - clearly calls them gambling

Ryannumber1gamer

45 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I think that's a bit disingenuous, 

But it's not untrue. You can't deny the fact at hand. You use Star Wars as an example. If GTA is the biggest game in the world, SW is the biggest franchise in the world and the hardcore fans would just as much tolerate stuff like this.

39 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

This is why I can't really stand ignorant folk who try to suggest that no progress has ever been made against these companies. You'd almost think they were on their payrolls, just trying to demoralize people when they try and circumvent the fact the fight against greedy companies has actually yielded results and that we should just give in to them.

Like you yourself said, it's quite disingenuous at least.

That's just paranoid and uncalled. You're an ignorant if you really think that's the case, especially if you're implying they're paying me. I wish.

39 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

Pardoneme? That stunt of yours where you tried to vilify anyone bringing up the problems with the legit problems of CTR as entitled crybabies was anything but a reasonable discussion from you. Especially when it was explained in detail how the scheme was unfair to anyone without online, how it was explicitly made to encourage paying for MTX, employing a drag cycle, etc, all of which you tried to ignore ind defense of the game

You're exagerating and forcing a polarization, like you ways do, as in "if you're not agaisnt them, then you're obviously with them". It's stupid, childish and cynical. Just because it doesn't affect me or you, doesn't mean I'm ignoring the problem, let alone "defending" anything, but you always try to create your own reality of what I'm saying or feeling. And now you're even coming with the hypothesis that these companies are paying me lol. You really are delusional, man. 

2 minutes ago, Jango said:

But it's not untrue. You can't deny the fact at hand. You use Star Wars as an example. If GTA is the biggest game in the world, SW is the biggest franchise in the world and the hardcore fans would just as much tolerate stuff like this.

No, because as I qualified, GTA Online has built up a dedicated fan following. Star Wars Battlefront 2 had just come out; i reckon the backlash would have been far less fierce if the loot boxes were introduced six years into its lifespan. I'm talking about fans of the game itself rather than of a license.

You've provided one example of a game which has been long running for many years that has gotten away with gambling mechanics. I've listed three which are new and haven't (Shadow of War, Halo Wars 2 and Battlefront 2).

4 minutes ago, Jango said:

SW is the biggest franchise in the world and the hardcore fans would just as much tolerate stuff like this.

Except when, y'know, they didn't with Battlefront 2. It got ugly enough to the point where Disney had to get involved and tell EA to knock it off. ALmost everyone and their mother knows about that fiasco.

4 minutes ago, Jango said:

And now you're even coming with the hypothesis that these companies are paying me lol. You really are delusional, man. 

They weren't even remotely suggesting that in the slightest. They were making the, admittedly over the top point, that you defend corporations so much that it's as if you worked for them.

17 minutes ago, Jango said:

That's just paranoid and uncalled. You're an ignorant if you really think that's the case, especially if you're implying they're paying me. I wish.

I didn't even mention you in that bit that you're quoting, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Wasn't talking about you there, so the accusation doesn't even make sense.

No need to go out with a petty insult trying to call one delusional over the topic at hand.

There’s also been cases where backlash for a long beloved game actually reverted a change. A few years back, before loot boxes became mainstream, Payday 2 tried to introduce them to the PC version, only to later go back on it because of how absolutely furious the player base was.

There’s even been cases where while they weren’t outright removed, fan outcry did introduce positive change. Overwatch is the key example, people used to be absolutely furious that you couldn’t buy new seasonal items, being forced to rely on luck, as well as the fact that odds were heavily skewed that you could receive duplicates of items which would be near worthless. 

While it still isn’t greatly better, Blizzard/Activision were forced to fix it by making seasonal items purchasable with in game currency which you can’t buy and can only receive from duplicate items (new items are a higher price point, but are reduced to normal pricing when they come back again), and massively reducing the rates of duplicates, making it that if you do get a legendary tier item, and it’s seasonal, it will be a new seasonal skin or item.

That’s not as good as having loot boxes removed outright, but fifty times better than the original situation, and that was achieved solely because the community took a stand against those particular aspects and called them out, so to say that fans/gaming community have no effect is ridiculous.

Forza 7's humongous backlash against the lootbox system led to them being removed, even though you couldn't buy them with real money.

• 1 year later...

Apologies for the topic revival, but the UK announced a week or so ago that they're seeking evidence in regards to loot boxes, and the harmful effect they have on people.

At the same time, a week after that call, EA decided to start advertising gambling to kids in a UK kids toy catalogue. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well Good, because...

“It’s about time they recognise in-game gambling mechanics that are clearly gambling as gambling, because you are gambling.” ~Jim Sterling, Son

Also excellent to see EA’s goldfish memory of “shameful practises” ...followed by; “we’ll do better” ...followed by; “more shameful practises” ...is looping back around again. Seriously, they are worse than the bloody Sonic Cycle. 😒

EA have pulled the ad from the magazine, after a massive backlash.

• 4 weeks later...