Awoo.

Stuff from other continuities that you wish were canon to the games

batson

You saw the title.

For me, I kinda wish that Cosmo was part of the game canon. Or more specifically, Tails' history with Cosmo. I just feel that Tails' character has more depth to him if we consider the whole storyline with Cosmo as something that happened.

Another aspect of Sonic X that I wouldn't mind being in the games is Vectors crush on Vanilla. It's just a fun and endearing little detail.

• Thumbs Up 1

Knuckles's sort of earnest belief in the goodness of others. It's often played as him being gullible or socially inept. But like a knuckles who genuinely sees the good in people over everyone else would be a neat turn.

• Thumbs Up 5

Going with OP's Sonic X theming, gonna be honest, I think that with a few fixes the Metarex saga or something based on it would be pretty nifty for the series. It doesn't even have to be a game; a comic storyline, maybe an animated miniseries, you name it. The idea of the core cast traveling to other worlds has always been a fascinating one to me for whatever reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Most of Archie's backstory for human and mobian creatures. At in the sense they all lived on one world in their own segregated communities and had a conflict leading up to the Great War. Its simple, interesting and gets to the point. And would have explained Shadow's origins a lot easier than all this two worlds nonsense. It would have made Sonic's fight with Eggman more compelling because he'd have to also deal with certain groups of people mistrusting or disliking him due to being a Mobian. With certain human groups even going as far as trusting Eggman first like they did in the comics because he's human and Sonic's not. This would have made the addition of more human characters feel more organic and less awkward, I think.

• Egg Bosses. It makes more sense for Eggman to utilize this than simply using a Roboticizer or even Badniks, really. After all, if his entire army is made up of Robots all someone needs to do is make an EMP and disable them all. And with characters like Tails, or Rotor in SatAM/Archie (who I think even made one at some point, I think), or the G.U.N military,  it didnt make sense why Swatbots and other creations like them would have been as much of a problem as they were if you have characters smart enough to whip something up and disable them. Even in the games that's kind of odd to me, when the series has characters like Tails. So having Egg Bosses and Grunts, I feel would help level the playing field.

• Revised versions of older characters who existed outside the games. Because why constantly make new characters and take a gamble on their reception, when you can just use new versions of characters you already have that you can augment to fit? None of SEGA's newer characters are very popular. Hell, even Archie's minor characters had more of a fanbase than some of these new additions, so it begs the question.... Why not use some of the old ones within reason?
  • Thumbs Up 1

Rouge having a cop foil/girlfriend was inspired. 

Also, Tangle, or less specifically more female Sonic characters that know how to scrap and don't lean so hard into stereotypical feminine design tropes.  . 

That's about it tho. Even with how wack the storytelling in the games can be I prefer it to the other canons. They have some cool ideas but usually let down the characters from the actual games pretty hard.

• Thumbs Up 7

Planet Freedom was a cool location and would honestly be a very easy way to separate the "sonic" world and "Human" world without the two dimensions nonsense 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Knuckles's sort of earnest belief in the goodness of others. It's often played as him being gullible or socially inept. But like a knuckles who genuinely sees the good in people over everyone else would be a neat turn.

I admit this take on Knuckles is maybe a better pivot for his gullibility than 'Eggman saying Sonic is evil, so Knuckles believes him'. I guess the bigger problem is combining that with Knuckles' protectiveness and temper. Stuff like Mania and Archie make perfectly clear Knuckles is NOT forgiving of people tampering with the Master Emerald or even just looking at it suspiciously.

Maybe something like what Boom's creative team stated they envisioned for Amy, a character that always believes in sympathy...at first. When they get double crossed or mocked for it, then it's no holds barred. They better take their second chance because there isn't another one. Admittedly Amy and Knuckles feel at tad interchangeable in traits sometimes depending on depiction.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh so many things....

6 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

I admit this take on Knuckles is maybe a better pivot for his gullibility than 'Eggman saying Sonic is evil, so Knuckles believes him'. I guess the bigger problem is combining that with Knuckles' protectiveness and temper. Stuff like Mania and Archie make perfectly clear Knuckles is NOT forgiving of people tampering with the Master Emerald or even just looking at it suspiciously.

It could be a case of, "As long as it isn't this one context."

7 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

Maybe something like what Boom's creative team stated they envisioned for Amy, a character that always believes in sympathy...at first. When they get double crossed or mocked for it, then it's no holds barred. They better take their second chance because there isn't another one. Admittedly Amy and Knuckles feel at tad interchangeable in traits sometimes depending on depiction.

What, like their tempers?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh so many things....

It could be a case of, "As long as it isn't this one context."

Well yeah, but then you have the problem that the guy who most often steals the ME is the guy Knuckles trusts and forgives the most compulsively.

5 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

What, like their tempers?

The supposed way they're conveyed in certain interpretations, combined with ego and stubborn zeal. I mean the biggest difference between them by the end of Sonic X was Amy's crush on Sonic and the usual anime double standard where Knuckles' temper had way more repercussions (and even then I wouldn't say Amy didn't have butt monkey moments like Knuckles). Otherwise they were both naive but tantrum prone hotheads, trying to be nice to different parties, but going ballistic when they got cut the wrong way for it.

Of course it depends on exaggeration, Boom Amy and Knuckles is like comparing Lisa and Homer Simpson.

5 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

Well yeah, but then you have the problem that the guy who most often steals the ME is the guy Knuckles trusts and forgives the most compulsively.

True.

At best, it could become a weird sense of owing that further motivates that case, ala Kuja and Makato. Of course, that also goes back to the topic of Knuckles having had a more transitioning arc up to 2003 or 2004.

9 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

The supposed way they're conveyed in certain interpretations, combined with ego and stubborn zeal. I mean the biggest difference between them by the end of Sonic X was Amy's crush on Sonic and the usual anime double standard where Knuckles' temper had way more repercussions (and even then I wouldn't say Amy didn't have butt monkey moments like Knuckles). Otherwise they were both naive but tantrum prone hotheads, trying to be nice to different parties, but going ballistic when they got cut the wrong way for it.

I guess? I mean, there's also the fact that Amy is more frivolous compared to Knuckles being conceited in a dutiful way.

4 hours ago, Wraith said:

Also, Tangle, or less specifically more female Sonic characters that know how to scrap and don't lean so hard into stereotypical feminine design tropes.  . 

This would be neat. And i'm with you. Unfortunately the people in japan are still very much in charge and recently got rid of the last girl who looked like she could scrap and is now ... in the ether so to speak. Maybe one day, somoene will talk to them and convince them in the year of our lord 20XX sonic has a diverse enough fan base to have girl characters like that. Maybe even LGBTQ characters i dunno.

4 hours ago, Wraith said:

That's about it tho. Even with how wack the storytelling in the games can be I prefer it to the other canons. They have some cool ideas but usually let down the characters from the actual games pretty hard.

I also agree with this sentiment. I feel like a lot of the suggestions for other continuities sort of revovle around those characters from that continuity and i'm largely not here for them so, i kinda feel nothing most times

• Thumbs Up 1

like Orbot and Cubot, but I feel like Sonic Colors was a missed opportunity to just canonize Scratch and Grounder, who I always liked a little more. Or better yet, if Sonic X had used them instead of Decoe and Bocoe (who again, are fine, but less charismatic and memorable in my opinion) and have them adapted into the games, and we'd just gotten the iconic Robotnik minion duo across multiple continuities.

• Thumbs Up 1

Making Tails capable of doing things without Sonic holding his hand 24/7 would be up there for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

like Orbot and Cubot, but I feel like Sonic Colors was a missed opportunity to just canonize Scratch and Grounder, who I always liked a little more. Or better yet, if Sonic X had used them instead of Decoe and Bocoe (who again, are fine, but less charismatic and memorable in my opinion) and have them adapted into the games, and we'd just gotten the iconic Robotnik minion duo across multiple continuities.

I agree 100%. Like, what's up with coming up with a new comedic duo for every continuity instead of just keeping the originals.

47 minutes ago, batson said:

I agree 100%. Like, what's up with coming up with a new comedic duo for every continuity instead of just keeping the originals.

Varied copyrights on certain characters between adaptations/spinoffs?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Varied copyrights on certain characters between adaptations/spinoffs?

While true, I'm not sure that would prevent the AoStH Badniks since they're based on enemies from the games anyway.

Grounder and Coconuts are already Sega enemies, and I suppose if "Scratch" exists in an ambiguous legal state (though doubtful due to his appearance in Spinball and Mean Bean Machine), they could just use Clucker, the Badnik he was probably based on.

I guess my point is, they'd probably have a way easier time getting adapted than - say - Decoe and Bocoe or Sleet and Dingo, who were wholly new characters for their respective cartoons.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

While true, I'm not sure that would prevent the AoStH Badniks since they're based on enemies from the games anyway.

Grounder and Coconuts are already Sega enemies, and I suppose if "Scratch" exists in an ambiguous legal state (though doubtful due to his appearance in Spinball and Mean Bean Machine), they could just use Clucker, the Badnik he was probably based on.

I guess my point is, they'd probably have a way easier time getting adapted than - say - Decoe and Bocoe or Sleet and Dingo, who were wholly new characters for their respective cartoons.

I mean, in the latter case, it'really is a matter of things not panning through--if Mr. Flynn is any indication, Underground really did start out as a second lease on life for SatAM that was made into it's own thing per the higherup's wishes. Hence Robotnik's mostly unchanged design, as well as Uncle Chuck and the out of place statue of King Max in the first episode.

As for Decoe and Bocoe, that's a combination of TMS most likely reusing two minion designs from a previous show and perhaps Sega of Japan not wanting to use Western creator characters either way.

11 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Sonia, and her history with Sonic. 

So having met him at a random jam session after being raised as an aristocrat?

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

As for Decoe and Bocoe, that's a combination of TMS most likely reusing two minion designs from a previous show and perhaps Sega of Japan not wanting to use Western creator characters either way.

Can you elaborate on this? I didn't know their designs came from a previous show.