Awoo.

Stuff from other continuities that you wish were canon to the games

batson

While Sonic the Comic was weird as hell most of the time, I did like some of its ideas of adding weight to concepts to the games lore, like Knuckles genuinely missing his kind and Robotnik's 'organic battery' process for his badniks being shown in a more threatening light (in one story he tried to put Amy into one for example). It's weird the games themselves only sporadically touch these, and usually only in spin offs. SA1 was an obvious exception but even then it's kind of fleeting.

I also liked how the first handful of issues used the small animal characters as the civilians of Sonic's world and they had characterisations somewhat. They were quickly dropped or given humanoid redesigns afterwards which was a shame. Also liked the proto-Sally Acorn made from gender swapping Ricky and giving him a bow.

Actually the Western Sonic bible seemed to want to make these little guys integral. Apparently all of them taught Sonic how to hone in on his abilities. I dunno, I kinda preferred the idea of these guys being sapient allies of Sonic, it added a more personal touch of threat to what Eggman was doing.

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree. The Archie "Genesis of a Hero" having Sally Acorn being in the Green Hill Zone Act 1 container, and the other FF after that, was a nice update / riff on that. I also liked that they included the original sound test backing band with Mina Mongoose replacing the human Madonna. 

It's a shame Archie lost the license and Sega changed gears - it's nice to have the refresh with IDW but it's really just the same reboot from Mega Drive/Genesis minus the deep roster of fun characters (the Hooligans, Finitevus, etc)

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 year later...

The Metarex from Sonic X, and Cosmo.

imagine getting an Adventure style game, taking place after Sonic Unleashed that adapts the story, only changes being of course, no chris thorndyke, and as this takes place after Heroes and Shadow, have Shadow work at GUN like in 06 and have him on a mission with Team Dark involving infiltrating Eggman's ship, the Space Freedom Fighters would be reporpoused as GUN Soldiers that also went to fight the Metarex, and instead the Metarex woud've been in conflict with the Black Arms. of course the Tails x Cosmo romance would be kept intact aswell.

• 3 weeks later...

Sonia and Manic. Not necessarily with the royalty component, just having them around and with their abilities.

Good writing.

But for a more serious answer, Sonic carrying around Warp Rings like in the movie is an interesting idea, and also having a more developed multiverse like in archie would lend itself to plenty of stories and level ideas. Just imagine a Cosmic Interstate Zone.

Shadows sa2 running animation, hes clearly the best gameplay style by that alone, and he easily defeats sonic snd knuckles and is the undefeated.

Mostly better writing for the games, just like in the comics, the cartoons and the movie.  But other than that, I would like for the games to take on the Archie Sonic Comic's more plentiful backstories.  I liked the fact that in the Archie Comics, the reason why Sonic is fighting Dr. Robotnik is because Robotnik attacked his home when he and the Freedom Fighters were kids.  I also liked the fact that they called Sonic's home planet Mobius, as the games don't seem to want to give Sonic's home planet a name (which I don't understand why).  Also, I felt that the Archie Sonic Comics did a good job at developing Sonic's world, like explaining about how the Chaos Emeralds work and how the rings can be used.  So basically, I want the games to develop Sonic's world a bit more and give us some history with the characters and the world they live in.  It would be interesting if Sonic's planet was called Mobius and Sonic and his friends are the Freedom Fighters fighting against Robotnik as they would add more weight to the games.

Looking back, I never actually said anything of note. Huh.

Well to start off, how about Thrash? Knuckles could really use another rival that could actually last and his general backstory involving the Echidnas would tie in pretty well with the games, give or take a tweak or two.

Secondly, Bokkun and whatever species he was hanging in a malt shop with in that one episode. He already had matches general design motif of Mobians while being something else like Chaos & Void and his connection to Eggman was always a little hazy despite his Japanese name, allowing for a bit of flexibility with Infinite having been a thing. Plus, he could work as a gag minor antagonist where characters like Cream.

And lastly, get Sticks in there as well. You could easily just carryover some of her background from Boom, tone down the government talk just a bit, and maybe even have her never shown backstory be the pivot for a Team Rose side story.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Well to start off, how about Thrash? Knuckles could really use another rival that could actually last and his general backstory involving the Echidnas would tie in pretty well with the games, give or take a tweak or two.

Now that I think about it, Thrash getting rid of the remaining Echidnas via warp rings reminds me of Ratchet and Clank where the Lombaxes were banished to another dimension by one of the villains.

My first post in this thread is very dismissive of other continuities I've kind of done a 180 into not really caring about the game's continuity as a story/thinking it basically needs to be majorly tuned up to be interesting. The experience of PLAYING as Sonic is an inherently interesting time but the other Sonic things had no gameplay to fall back on and so were forced to create interesting solutions to the problem of "how do we make these borderline cereal mascots interesting enough to keep people coming back from week to week."

So when we come back around to "How do we make Sonic's world more interesting?" We have a lot of reference points to fall back on. Not all of it is good, but it's better than, uh, -checks the script for the last 8 sonic games-  nothing.

So let's give this another try.

-Tangle, Whisper, and Starline give you a good idea as to what type of genuinely worthwhile additions you could make to the main cast at this point. It's mostly pretty packed but there are still gaps you can fill without having to start fresh.
-Sally is probably Sonic's best foil. I don't think you could fully translate her into being Sonic's right arm at this point  but having more characters who can challenge Sonic in that way would be nice.
-A character that is part organic, part robot seems like a pretty natural place for the series to go, thematically. An extremely mild form of Robotization is now a thing post Lost World so it wouldn't even be that weird. 
-The Seedrian are a much more believable take on a Sonic alien than the black arms and have the added benefit of not involving any pre-established storylines beyond Tails's eccentric tastes in women. 
-The OVA Sonic that has a bit more of a bite to him without going over the top like STC Sonic is my favorite. I also love their version of Metal more than megazord. 
-The OVA's world is also very interesting. I don't think it translates well to Sonic's whole shtick conceptually(Why would you have a setup where he can't run freely to wherever he wants to go) but it feels really distinctly "Sonic" in a way I wish more actual Sonic things did.
-This is less of a continuity thing and more of a technical thing but the delivery in Sonic Boom is very natural and  makes the VAs sound a lot better than they do normally. I would like whatever energy they have when they get together in that booth to be replicated in the games's recording sessions somehow.
-I haven't seen the Sonic movie. I may never watch the Sonic movie at this point. Someone else will have to figure that one out. Sorry.
-Chomps is a goat as the first paged outlined
-Scratch and grounder are really funny. I'm not convinced any new writer could capture their manic energy but at least trying to do more stuff with orbot and cubot in that vein wouldn't hurt. They feel less impactful and less funny than they should be.

2 hours ago, Mountaindewandsprite said:

Now that I think about it, Thrash getting rid of the remaining Echidnas via warp rings reminds me of Ratchet and Clank where the Lombaxes were banished to another dimension by one of the villains.

True, but that only happened because Archie's lawyers got cold feet and forced all Penders characters to be avoided nearly halfway through production.

I'm talking about how the Echidnas scarred his family and race centuries ago.