Awoo.

Sonic YouTube Videos in Danger -- Important Update!

HammerheadHippo

15 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

You do know some parents buy games for their kids, right?

This is what I was going to say.

Obviously everyone has different situations when growing up, but generally my parents would buy me a videogame or two for Christmas, my Birthday or if I got good grades. It wasn't until I was older that I got an allowance to where I could buy my own games. I think that's much more common than, say, a ten year old walking into a GameStop with a couple $20's in their hands asking for Sonic Forces. A game marketed to kids. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Jesus Christ, Youtube just keeps getting lamer. And the same goes for most mainstream platforms on the internet. Thinking back to the old days of the internet makes me feel like an old cowboy fondly remembering the wild west.

• Thumbs Up 7

Funnily enough, I discovered earlier today something that shows YouTube's incompetence off well.

I'm fairly certain YouTube's implemented another busted automated system for this, that incorrectly targets videos based on specific parameters, and therefore allowing false positives to slip in. Case and point, here's a Robot Chicken skit that's got the comments disabled, indicating that it was hit by the COPPA wave:

I've also seen tons of clips of "reanimated" episodes being claimed too. Sonic X Reanimated in particular was hit hard by it, despite the fact that context is really important in the case of reanimated stuff, depending on what individual creators decide to place into their reanimated clips.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

You do know some parents buy games for their kids, right?

Some do. But one, your assuming kids are interested in Sonic enough to ask their parents to buy his games anymore. They're not. Especially when, $60 for a mediocre Sonic game means they won't be able to buy anything else until much later. And many of the parents who do buy Sonic games for kids, won't buy it at launch and will just tell their children to just wait for the price to go down.

12 minutes ago, Rosaleia said:

Some do. But one, your assuming kids are interested in Sonic enough to ask their parents to buy his games anymore. They're not. Especially when, $60 for a mediocre Sonic game means they won't be able to buy anything else until much later. And many of the parents who do buy Sonic games for kids, won't buy it at launch and will just tell their children to just wait for the price to go down.

Some sources for your claims would be nice.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Rosaleia said:

You're assuming kids and their parents are all as Internet savvy and aware of the minutiae older as Sonic fans whose tastes have developed as they've gotten older and have a disposable income to make informed choices on how they want to spend their time.

I don't think kids actually care about the quality of a Sonic product--they like Sonic.

And parents don't research or are even aware when games get price drops, especially if a game drops around the holiday season or there's a birthday coming up. They trust content labels and that's it.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, Sean said:

Some sources for your claims would be nice.

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Sonic#cite_note-tssz-160

1 minute ago, Zaysho said:

You're assuming kids and their parents are all as Internet savvy and aware of the minutiae older as Sonic fans whose tastes have developed as they've gotten older and have a disposable income to make informed choices on how they want to spend their time.

I don't think kids actually care about the quality of a Sonic product--they like Sonic.

And parents don't research or are even aware when games get price drops, especially if a game drops around the holiday season or there's a birthday coming up. They trust content labels and that's it.

More parents are gamers than in any generation. And among the gaming community, Sonic has become infamous. Even if a parent doesn't research when the game's price drops they will trust game reveiws and word of mouth to figure out what to get their child. and more often than not, they'll be dissuaded from buying a Sonic game. A parent might get the game for their child if they REALLY want it, but most don't care that badly to buy it at launch. Parents usually buy for kids indirectly through things like an allowance to teach them financial responsibility, rather than just spoiling them with whatever they want. And most kids aren't going to spend $60 on a Sonic game. 

But don't take my word for it. Sales figures have shown a gradual downward spiral. If kids could be relied upon to buy Sonic games, how come he can't even make so much as a million in sales anymore?

38 minutes ago, Sean said:

unknown.png

...what am I looking at here

Sonic Dash wasn't a $60 main title, though. And look, I don't mind SEGA making games for kids, but they need to accept the fact that children are more likely to buy things like this and Mania which were cheaper, and the older crowd are the ones who are more likely to purchase things $60+.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Rosaleia said:

Sonic Dash wasn't a $60 main title, though. And look, I don't mind SEGA making games for kids, but they need to accept the fact that children are more likely to buy things like this and Mania which were cheaper, and the older crowd are the ones who are more likely to purchase things $60+.

Sales data and conjecture about why you think things might be this way isn't enough evidence to support what you're saying. To make claims about demographics you need data about demographics.

On 9/28/2019 at 6:53 PM, Miragnarok said:

This regulation is a good thing to be rid of Elsagate, but it’s too bad thousands of channels are caught in the crossfire, and in the end it adds another cherry atop the pile of removed YouTube features. If anyone wants to switch services, they really should by now. 

Elsagate? 

I think we're getting a new Sonic movie trailer today but no one will get notified about it if it's marked for kids. 

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Elsagate? 

It refers to videos aimed at attracting children that contain kid friendly characters (such as Elsa and Spider-Man), but the content itself is not children friendly at all. These videos would frequently make it onto the "Kids" app made just for kids, and was made into a big issue when people online discovered tons of videos like it. There were also very cheaply made repetitive videos made to farm watch time from kids who wouldn't turn it off.

Before recent changes, these videos could make a ton of profit off of kids that don't know any better through ads and sneaking onto the YouTube Kids app.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

I don't remember how old I was, probably around 10, but I remember watching video where Sonic dies in very gory way.

It was disgusting and stupid, and while I would prefer never seeing it, I don't remember being 'messed up' by it.

Then again, there are probably worse "Elsagate" out there and younger kids.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I don't remember how old I was, probably around 10, but I remember watching video where Sonic dies in very gory way.

It was disgusting and stupid, and while I would prefer never seeing it, I don't remember being 'messed up' by it.

Then again, there are probably worse "Elsagate" out there and younger kids.

I remember when YouTube was younger Happy Tree Friends was very popular, and it's main gimmick was it featured cute looking characters getting harmed in very gory ways. I mostly avoided content like that, but considering how much bigger YouTube is now it could be scary to very young children.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, DryLagoon said:

It refers to videos aimed at attracting children that contain kid friendly characters (such as Elsa and Spider-Man), but the content itself is not children friendly at all. These videos would frequently make it onto the "Kids" app made just for kids, and was made into a big issue when people online discovered tons of videos like it. There were also very cheaply made repetitive videos made to farm watch time from kids who wouldn't turn it off.

Before recent changes, these videos could make a ton of profit off of kids that don't know any better through ads and sneaking onto the YouTube Kids app.

Of course.

Gotta have that pregnant Elsa, 35-45 minutes Maiu, off brand Miraculous pool parties, and the legendary Peppa Pig bath of skittles and shit. 

• Thumbs Up 2

35 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Was it Sonic Breaks His Neck?

1 hour ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Was it Sonic Breaks His Neck?

....yes. I could spend rest of my live without seeing this again, but it's that.

• Chuckle 1

30 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

....yes. I could spend rest of my live without seeing this again, but it's that.

I was hoping it was that one, I know the creator and got to watch the work in progress versions, might even still have them on an old hard drive.

On 1/9/2020 at 7:55 AM, DryLagoon said:

It refers to videos aimed at attracting children that contain kid friendly characters (such as Elsa and Spider-Man), but the content itself is not children friendly at all. 

This one really confuses me. 

Adult comedy satire is absolutely nothing new to the internet. It's been done, legitimately, for at least twenty years.

Newgrounds basically grew up on these principles. I'm willing to bet many, if not everyone here, watched some pretty raunchy animations around game characters.

Why's it only recently becoming a thing? Especially when it's always "Spiderman and Elsa" - Spiderman is weird considering he's been in some pretty dark worlds. Not exactly a children's icon.

Like, I make Sonic satires with profanity, violence, and even sexual humor. Haven't really had any complaints.

Unless they're doing something very specific than just using specific characters in adult comedy situations.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Wittymations said:

This one really confuses me. 

Adult comedy satire is absolutely nothing new to the internet. It's been done, legitimately, for at least twenty years.

Newgrounds basically grew up on these principles. I'm willing to bet many, if not everyone here, watched some pretty raunchy animations around game characters.

Why's it only recently becoming a thing? Especially when it's always "Spiderman and Elsa" - Spiderman is weird considering he's been in some pretty dark worlds. Not exactly a children's icon.

Like, I make Sonic satires with profanity, violence, and even sexual humor. Haven't really had any complaints.

Unless they're doing something very specific than just using specific characters in adult comedy situations.

Typically speaking, Elsagate videos moreso refer to ones that make little to no sense and feature disturbing or surreal imagery purely for the sake of it.
Normal old parodies and whatnot at least have some kind of structure and cohesion to them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm, but do we know it's Youtube who enforces the Sonic cartoons to be made for kids, and it isn't just Sega's Youtube team who decided to take the safe option?

So far, most of my Sonic cartoons and video's are still on the Mature audience filter.
I only made the ones that were the most tame or had more kid-friendly thumbnails to be "For children".
But that was my own choice, Youtube didn't force me to change it around yet.
Granted, it might be because I'm beneath their radar, so they might come on knocking yet.

But still. I'm Just saying it could be Sega themselves being cautious, rather then Youtube/ Coppa being trigger happy.

1 hour ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

But still. I'm Just saying it could be Sega themselves being cautious, rather then Youtube/ Coppa being trigger happy.

I hope YouTube will add the "Mixed audiences" option at some point, as I think that is more accurate for Sonic than just kids.

6 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Hmm, but do we know it's Youtube who enforces the Sonic cartoons to be made for kids, and it isn't just Sega's Youtube team who decided to take the safe option?

This is my thinking.

I haven't changed any of my animations to be "for kids" - even the ones that are purely Adventure scene recreations. When making my videos, I never intended to appeal to kids, specifically. And I feel intent matters more. Actually, I made most of my videos for me.

Hadn't had any issues, but I'm s pretty low level channel with a little over 10k subs. I'm not on anyone's radar.

I imagine SEGA just wanted to be on the safe side.

Typically speaking, Elsagate videos moreso refer to ones that make little to no sense and feature disturbing or surreal imagery purely for the sake of it.

Normal old parodies and whatnot at least have some kind of structure and cohesion to them.

Hmm. I never really hunted down any Elsa videos. Figured they were just adult oriented videos using characters that just happened to be popular with kids