Awoo.

Sonic X Reboot Topic

JahiemYoung X

Should Sonic X get a restart, or remained as one of the biggest failure?

Does it need a second chance.

No more sub plots, refix animation, and no Chris Thorndyke mentioning.

Hmm let's see

1) It won't get reboot. Ever. It's not how it works.

2) Sonic X minus Chris Thorndyke ans human world is basically different show.

3) What "no more sub plots" even means? What, is idea of sublplots bad in general?

4) Honestly, Sonic X wasn't good, but it wasn't that bad either. Calling it " biggest failure" is a big stretch. I can list dozen good things about the show.

If anything, we'll never get Rouge as good as there, it's too make scenarios where her morality can be so perfectly gray.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Hmm let's see

1) It won't get reboot. Ever. It's not how it works.

2) Sonic X minus Chris Thorndyke ans human world is basically different show.

3) What "no more sub plots" even means? What, is idea of sublplots bad in general?

4) Honestly, Sonic X wasn't good, but it wasn't that bad either. Calling it " biggest failure" is a big stretch.

If anything, we'll never get Rouge as good as there, it's too make scenarios where her morality can be so perfectly gray.

Well, what was Yuji Naka thinking of making this anime in the first place.

If I thought of rebooting it, I make it stay to it's roots.

53 minutes ago, JahiemYoung X said:

If I thought of rebooting it, I make it stay to it's roots.

So it would need to include everything you said it shouldnt then?

• Thumbs Up 1

Absolutely not. The problems with Sonic X are more deeply rooted than simply because the story revolved around Chris, as much of an elephant in the room that that was. Sega wants to make a new anime, that's fine; but I shudder to think anyone involved with the creative process of Sonic X could be involved with the series again. No need to acknowledge anything about X again at that point.

• Thumbs Up 3

Moved this topic to its proper forum.  Sonic-related topics (that aren't Upcoming Games) belong in Green Hills Zone.  Please keep that in mind, thank you.

As for the topic itself, ignoring how rebooting a series while also removing everything about the series from the series is not really rebooting in any sense of the word, it's also a bit erroneous to call it "one of the biggest failures."  While it's true that the series has generally garnered a negative reputation in retrospect, at the time, fan reception to the series was mixed at worst, and while it wasn't hugely successful, it did do its job of advertising the game and generating new fans and was fairly popular with the kids who jumped onto the bandwagon with the release of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle.  It wasn't a good show, but it absolutely did what it was intended to do.

Unless you're using the words "biggest failure" to mean "is teh epic failz man" in which case... yeah, fine.  I can't really argue with that.  Because, you know, Sonic X sucks lol

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

Where the heck?!

Biggest failure? Didn't it get a third season commissioned solely on Western views?

Anyway, rebooting Sonic X in earnest would basically mean still having Chris--just better. To say nothing of how thoughtless having no subplots would be.

1 hour ago, JahiemYoung X said:

Well, what was Yuji Naka thinking of making this anime in the first place.

Promoting the Sonic series in the East?

1 hour ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

So it would need to include everything you said it shouldnt then?

No, not that way, I mean like just based it on the games or comics

57 minutes ago, Tara said:

Moved this topic to its proper forum.  Sonic-related topics (that aren't Upcoming Games) belong in Green Hills Zone.  Please keep that in mind, thank you.

As for the topic itself, ignoring how rebooting a series while also removing everything about the series from the series is not really rebooting in any sense of the word, it's also a bit erroneous to call it "one of the biggest failures."  While it's true that the series has generally garnered a negative reputation in retrospect, at the time, fan reception to the series was mixed at worst, and while it wasn't hugely successful, it did do its job of advertising the game and generating new fans and was fairly popular with the kids who jumped onto the bandwagon with the release of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle.  It wasn't a good show, but it absolutely did what it was intended to do.

Unless you're using the words "biggest failure" to mean "is teh epic failz man" in which case... yeah, fine.  I can't really argue with that.  Because, you know, Sonic X sucks lol

Advertising, that doesn't make it successful.

And rebooting it won't be bad, it could just adapt to the games or the comic.

Or just do how DBS became the best anime.

I think this thread would be a more fun thought experiment if one was forced to turn the concepts from Sonic X into a workable story or do a continuation.

Otherwise if you're asking for a new Sonic anime that was closer to the games then yeah I'd be down for that. I don't think you'd have to bring up Sonic X at all for that though. 

15 minutes ago, JahiemYoung X said:

Advertising, that doesn't make it successful.

Considering it was created specifically to advertise (which, lets face it, is what all the Sonic off-shoots are created for), yes, it does.

25 minutes ago, JahiemYoung X said:

And rebooting it won't be bad, it could just adapt to the games or the comic.

Then it wouldn't be Sonic X. What you seem to be asking for is for them to make a new Sonic anime. Removing everything intrinsic to Sonic X, and then trying to tie it to Sonic X anyway, would be silly.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Forgetful Panda said:

Considering it was created specifically to advertise (which, lets face it, is what all the Sonic off-shoots are created for), yes, it does.

Essentially my point, yes.

If you're using creative output as a barometer of success, then... well, obviously, no, it's not "successful," although framing it that way is a bit awkward.  If you're talking about appealing to its target demographic (fans of the games and potential fans of the games), then it was... FAIRLY successful, yes.  It did what it was supposed to do, and nothing more.  The way the OP is worded would have me believe that they're making Sonic X out to be a failure and low point of the series that is universally detested, much like Sonic '06, when it's... er... not.

• Thumbs Up 2

35 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I think he's just using failure to imply the show sucks and you don't have to try to define it objectively. 

I covered that in my first post when I made a response for just in case they were using "one of the biggest failures" to mean "lol teh epic fail." Not that I disagree; just kind of thrown off by the wording if that is the intent.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here we go.

On 2/17/2018 at 2:57 PM, DabigRG said:

I was gonna say I wouldn't, but then a legitimate idea or two popped into mind:

• Have Chris be more definitively lonely, with only Danny extending out a friendly hand early on. As the show goes on and the actions of the Sonic's World-ers  becomes more prevalent, have Francis, Helen, his parents, and eventually [that one kid from the SA2 adaptation] gradually associate with him more.
  • Gradually downplay his presence as Sonic & his friends become more well-known, at least in episodes that don't have him play a truly important role in the plot. Also, make him seem a little less hyperfocused on Sonic by giving him other interests and maybe reducing the frequency of such scenes until it becomes relevant in Season 2.
  • Give Sonic a little bit of development regarding his tendency to seemingly avoid his friends, possibly by comparing him to Knuckles at least once.
  • Have Amy get some spotlight outside of her feelings for Sonic and her anger issues in Season 1, perhaps culminating in an episode where she moves out into her own apartment.
  • Give Tails something loosely similar to Amy, except introducing the concept of him owning his own personal Workshop.(Was Mystic Ruins a thing before the SA1 adaptation?)
  • Maybe have Cream properly develop a small, occasionally shaky friendship with Chris in a few episodes.
  • Give Bokkun just a little more of a background, given that he seemingly came out of nowhere and has a somewhat confusing/inconsistent species.
  • Give some small amount of explanation for where Emerl came from. As I recall, he's just sorta there in the Sonic Battle adaptation with little to no connection to Eggman outside of Bokkun recruiting him for a Jailbreak.

I might throw out some more ideas later, but these are the big ones.

I think it just needs to be left behind, but I'd be curious as to a thread on fixing Sonic X, without ditching everything. Kinda like a challenge to try and make what it had work. With obviously the first one being Chris not being so extremely privileged.

Oops, I missed the point.

8 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

I think it just needs to be left behind, but I'd be curious as to a thread on fixing Sonic X, without ditching everything. Kinda like a challenge to try and make what it had work. With obviously the first one being Chris not being so extremely privileged.

Here ya go.

Sonic X's initial run was 52 episodes, which while not some juggernaut like say Pokemon or Doraemon, is still a standard length for a children's anime - especially for something like Sonic which is more popular outside of Japan than within. The outside popularity was so strong that 26 additional episodes were produced. The show remained popular so that it's run on US television did not end until Vortexx went off the air in 2014 - an on and off run for 11 years (and it still shows up on certain kids services such as KidsClick and Kabillion). It was popular enough to support a 40 issue comic book which only ended because the creative team wanted to pursue other opportunities (i.e.: Sonic Universe). It was popular enough to receive multiple toy lines even as the series was ending and or finished. It was popular enough to inspire it's own kids video game on Leapster. It's popular enough to still receive new home video releases as recent as this year (and is now the first and so far only Sonic cartoon to be released on blu-ray, including the produced in HD Sonic Boom).

Sonic X is divisive in this fandom, like pretty much everything else, but to say it's a "failure" is crazy. It was a huge success for Sega and for the purposes of this topic - it's probably the most viable non-game media for a potential revival. It was something fully controlled by Sega of Japan, had character designs influenced by Yuji Uekawa himself (Satoshi Hirayama used Uekawa's designs as the basis), and is still fresh in the minds of Sega's target audience across the globe because of how prevalent reruns and streaming of the series has been. Would a new Sonic X be different from the old one? Of course. I imagine Blaze and Silver would show up, the human characters are iffy given the direction season 3 went (they probably would still have Chris though), and it's hard to tell what would happen to Decoe and Bocoe when Orbot and Cubot exist (Bokkun probably could still have his own niche). But the product would garner a lot more attention than if say they revived something like SatAM or AOSTH - things we in the fandom would go nuts over but casual audiences would be more ambivalent towards. 

• Thumbs Up 3

In defense of the original poster, Sonic X had the occasional potentially good thing about it.  It gave Sonic's supporting cast a lot of focus, it fleshed out the world, it provided an explanation, though not exactly a good one, for why there are anthropomorphic animals living in a world mostly populated by regular animals and humans, and all of these things fit very well in an era when the Sonic games themselves cared about plot, characters, and worldbuilding.  I went and watched Sonic X after the Adventure games got me back into the series, not before, and I wanted to love it, and can think about what might have been.

However, even if I can conceive of a show with Sonic X's premise, but without its most hated elements, times have changed so much since then that it would be irrelevant.  There's no especial reason to make a show that puts Sonic and other anthro characters into the human world, because that's not what the game series really pushes for anymore.  Also, Sonic's supporting cast has been quite deemphasized.  For a while, it felt like games would find keep a way to make them playable, but after 2006 that idea crashed.

In truth, the very term "reboot" is a bit problematic with regard to this franchise, because there is so little stable canon between games anyway, and without as much of a stable vision now of what the series should be, a cartoon like that doesn't seem likely these days.  However, if they wanted to take the games back to something more like the Adventure format, I'd invite them to expand the story with peripheral media, certainly.  Still, don't contradict the games this time!

In a hypothetical Sonic X revival, I'd love to see them adapt elements from the comic series into a prospective new show;  Dr. Eggman's penchant for disguises and general tomfoolery, his crush on Ella, and his newfound love of wrestling would all be welcome additions. The comics also spotlighted Decoe, Bocoe, and Bokkun and gave them a bit more focus in some stories - both in terms of their relationships with Eggman and just as characters in their own right.

I also honestly liked Chris a little more in the comics? He seemed more independent and a little less clingy, and displayed a number of interests in things that had nothing to do with Sonic, which... I dunno, it made him feel like more of his own person and less like a bland audience surrogate. He wasn't amazing in the comics by any means, but I still kinda liked the direction they took him in when compared to the original anime.

The comic series as a whole was a lot denser and wackier than the anime, so I'm not saying it should match it in tone one-for-one. I think combining the goofier elements of the comics with the more serious and grounded parts of the original show (which still had plenty of comedy in its own right, to be fair) could strike a nice balance. It'd be fun to see a series where Sonic and Eggman are legitimately having these epic battles with actual stakes and exciting action one week, and then the Doc's just comically trying to woo Chris's maid the next week:

Q1VFqPx.png

That show would be a great time.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1