Awoo.

Sonic X Reboot Topic

JahiemYoung X

There is a youtube video around explaining the reasons why Sonic X ended up like that; pretty much both animation and script direction were a mess, and alledgedly only one person was in charge of doing the titanic labor of put all that "chaos"  together. Go figure why some animated frames looked lousy and the writing required a colosal amount of suspension of disbelief to be enjoyed, cuz overall was downright dumb (though, in their defense, you can't expect much from the source material).

Sonic X was a just a shill anime that happened to be also a reverse isekai, meant to be a throwaway product, can't be helped. Therefore, I didn't expect anything but legacy treatment, just like TMS did by publishing the english dubbed episodes on youtube.

Best case scenario is a fan project remake, I don't think shippers are prepared to let that cosmo and tails thing slip from their hands and fade away into oblivion.

On 10/11/2019 at 5:08 AM, Dr Egg-Gin said:

A bit too late for that. 

It's not too late to not think it did a decent job.

Anime as of now are developing more than ever, so why don't Sonic X get re-develop.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was thinking a few weeks ago  about how someone in the previous thread talked about making Chris's parents unlikable. Now while I didn't quite jive with such a cursory motion, I have considered how something similar to that could've been done in conjunction with Chris's character development with or without my own changes. 

The obvious first vision to me would be with Lindsey, his mom the actress. Two episodes I remember with her are the one where she & her husband first visit the estate(Episode 7?) and the King Boom Boo episode, which had her among others buy Chuck's claim that Sonic's friends were just some of Chris's stuffed animals, lift Cream up in bemusement when she cheerfully wanders from under the curtains(and eventually fainting when she goes off on Chris, iirc), and bring Chris & the others onto her set at the Haunted Castle. She seemed to be airy and faux sophisticated when she spoke in the dub(kind of a Wendy from Peter Pan sorta dialect), as well as rather doting towards Chris. Maybe you could play those traits up a bit more?:

On one hand, she's introduced as a soft-spoken upperclasswoman who babies her son a bit too much--maybe not White Diamond levels, but enough to add up. But on the other, she's somewhat shallow movie star who likes to play to the camera/host, but has a more curt side when she's not getting the best angle metaphorically speaking. This can result in part of the reason Chris is cognitively dissonant about what he wants, accepting Sonic's friends solely because she finds some of them pleasant to speak to, and moments like perhaps a production assistant that tries to warn her about the curse leaving the scene nearly in tears and/or at risk of finding themselves another job.

Now admittedly I don't remember much about his dad Nelson other than being some sort of CEO and getting his wife a Chaos Emerald for their anniversary. At best, I only get a Bruce Wayne vibe from him--a tall broad shouldered guy in a suit with a confident smirk  and one hand always in his pocket. So if I can finagle something for him, maybe make him kind of a hard hotshot with a thing for making sure people know who's got it. Chris's passive demeanor at times has gotta come from somewhere and this is the sorta person who can ironically browbeat him into being the best. He could speak a little faster and clearer than other characters in contrast to his wife, have a habit of casually manhandling people, and generally tell people about his idea for things. Ella and Tanaka could also become noticeably quiet and restrained around him if they still are. 

On 10/10/2019 at 11:33 PM, Ricochet said:

There is a youtube video around explaining the reasons why Sonic X ended up like that; pretty much both animation and script direction were a mess, and alledgedly only one person was in charge of doing the titanic labor of put all that "chaos"  together. Go figure why some animated frames looked lousy and the writing required a colosal amount of suspension of disbelief to be enjoyed, cuz overall was downright dumb (though, in their defense, you can't expect much from the source material).

That would be Robobuddies.

Image result for sonic x helen

I've said it once and I'll say it until the end of time: Helen should've been the main human character.

A handicapped girl being able to go on adventures and see the world with Sonic and friends is just an infinitely better premise. I can just imagine all the wholesome goodness that would come with it! Also how much more sense would it of been for her to remind Shadow of Maria instead of Chris? Its such a shame she was hardly in the show and only got one episode focused on her. Though in that episode the chemistry with Sonic and Helen was much more real and believable; I never got the vibe that Sonic truly liked being with Chris despite the show trying to tell the contrary. So yeah, even though I liked X overall, Helen being a main character would've been a HUGE step up for the show.

(Also I always loved that she seemed to wear the pants in her relationship with Chris when they got older, and that she was a better driver than him too lol)

• Thumbs Up 2

Yep, I 100% agree with that, Helen could have created better contrast with Sonic, and it could have helped explore even more the character of Sonic, especially his softer side. I don't exactly remember how were her parents (if they were ever shown), but they could have made a contrast with the freedom of Sonic by making them a tad overprotective (and it wouldn't make them asshole-ish if done right, as we would be able to understand why they would be afraid for her). And just wholesome stuff like Tails adapting the Tornado than she can fly with them, etc, would have been nice.

And with her personality, I feel that the bonding with Tails, Amy and Cream would have been nicer too, and as she don't have a whole cast of supporting character already, it would have been interesting to see how her personnality is influenced by bouncing with those wacky, fun heroes. And as you said, the relationship with Shadow could have been way more interesting because of their similarity, with Shadow having to understand that he won't get back the friendship he got with Maria, but would be able to grow a new one that would be important too. (and it would have been a nice interesting twist to the whole "Maria" deal).

• Fist Bump 1

Helen was one of the few elements of Sonic X that I felt was handled extremely tactfully because at no point did it attempt to get the audience to pity her just for being stuck in a wheelchair. Her handicap was simply one part of her character and not the source of her conflict in her starring episode. It's really a shame that she had no significant appearances beyond that.

• Fist Bump 1

Interesting point. She would be Elise minus everything wrong about Elise.

I do wonder how much she could contribute during 'action scenes'. Chris wasn't much, be he could play baseball, enter the fighting tournament, grab the Chaos Emerald, you know, pretend he's helping. Helen would have hard time moving through forest or sand.

...please tell me I wasn't discriminating right now.

Oh yeah, Chris's friends.

I mentioned before that I'd just have Danny be the only person to reach out to Chris early on and as the first season progresses, his other three friends start to form around him. As for how that stuff would go, eh. It's been years since I seen much of the show straight through, but I think the limelight they got are serviceable enough. Might need to an episode where he is introduced to Helen, though.