Awoo.

Stuff that are canon but that you wish wasn't

batson

48 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

He can still be a bad guy without being out of place. 

Nothing about him is out of place. His design fits right in with everyone else. He has the proportions and design elements that are roughly in line with 1930s cartoons, like Sonic himself.

latest?cb=20120214162629q2dbM5X.jpg0VHuj6t.png

Him being human doesn't matter, there were always supposed to be humans in the Sonic universe from the start.

RfL93uL.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

39 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

Plus if you make an exception for him it raises the question of where the fuck he came from, since in this scenario humans wouldn't be a thing.

Just have him be an interloper - a mad scientist from another planet/dimension that somehow got stranded on Sonic's world; it also fits nicely with the original games environmental theme of technology vs nature, with someone outside of the natural balance coming in and trying to upset it.

7 minutes ago, Nestor said:

Just have him be an interloper - a mad scientist from another planet/dimension that somehow got stranded on Sonic's world; it also fits nicely with the original games environmental theme of technology vs nature, with someone outside of the natural balance coming in and trying to upset it.

He doesn't need to be an alien invader to accomplish this.

• Thumbs Up 1

The classic games have always had humans other than Eggman, even before Sonic Adventure. Witchcart from Tails Sky Patrol, the humanoid angel statue in Sonic CD, etc. Nobody from Sega ever claimed Eggman was the only human, and plenty of early in-game evidence contradicts that supposition as well. 

...Which, given the topic, is totally something you could wish wasn't the case, I suppose. I personally like humans and animals coexisting on Sonic's world, but if that's not your jam, this is certainly the right topic to say so, so I guess that all works out.

• Thumbs Up 2

That 06 happened yet never touch upon it much anymore. Though it was a semi reboot setting. I enjoyed the game for what it was trying to do and be but in the end Sega dropped the ball hard.

And who said Sega abandoned Silver from the future. He still is. But he is literally trunks in the fact he brings his butt back to sonics timeline every time ANYTHING bad happens in his time. There could be a hurricane and he would probably come back to try and stop it.

6 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

I'd definitely change the plot of Sonic Heroes, and have something that makes more sense than Eggman managing to package and deliver a working two-way radio to the Chaotix from the confines of a prison cell on Final Fortress. Maybe give Metal Sonic an actual stated motivation for his betrayal too, and have there be some payoff to that decision. Instead of just wiping Metal's memory, this could be a turning point in his and Eggman's relationship. Would Metal abandon Eggman to work as his own solo villain for a while? Would Eggman and Metal eventually make up and work out their differences? There are so many interesting places you could go from the plot of Heroes, but "lol Eggman wipes his memory in between games" is such a boring reversion to the status quo. It makes the plot of Heroes just another episodic entry in the series with no effect on anything.

It's almost like he's just one part of a trend that was lucky enough to be popular through spinoffs and sharing his debut with Amy. 

9 hours ago, MainJP said:

He doesn't need to be an alien invader to accomplish this.

Oh absolutely - I was just suggesting to Splash that in the human-free world he was proposing, the anomalous appearance of a lone human scientist could be easily explained in this manner; at least two official Sonic continuities do in fact use this explanation for Robotnik's appearance on the planet Mobius.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Nestor said:

at least two official Sonic continuities do in fact use this explanation for Robotnik's appearance on the planet Mobius.

This relates my own complaint for this topic; I wish the fracturing of the franchise during 1993 never happened.  I get that both Japan and American came up with some stupid stuff pre-Sonic 1 with human girlfriend, bands, convoluted origin stories of brown Sonny and Kintobor, Mobius in general, but after the success of Sonic 1 both branches should've put aside their pissing contest and come together to construct a single continuity and lore for Sonic to follow.  Just some basic lore beats no different than what Superman, Batman, Spiderman, and countless other superheroes have would've been fine.

But that isn't what happened.  Instead come 1993, we had two cartoons, two comic series, a manga, and countless one-offs bringing completely different lores, tones, characters, and character usage fracturing the franchise and fanbase like a dropped porcelain plate.  Regardless of one's personal opinions of each continuity, this should've never happened.  Sega should've had a tighter grip on things at the start to hold back the deluge instead of trying to reign things in decades later with some unseen bible detailing two worlds, a classic-modern split, and who knows what else.  Certainly not the fans.

On 10/1/2019 at 5:49 PM, MainJP said:

Nothing about him is out of place. His design fits right in with everyone else. He has the proportions and design elements that are roughly in line with 1930s cartoons, like Sonic himself.

latest?cb=20120214162629q2dbM5X.jpg0VHuj6t.png

Him being human doesn't matter, there were always supposed to be humans in the Sonic universe from the start.

RfL93uL.jpg

I already said that ideally humans wouldn't exist, so yes he would be out of place.

On 10/1/2019 at 6:00 PM, Nestor said:

Thanks, but I prefer my solution.

2 hours ago, Heckboy said:

What if they kept Eggman a human and made Sonic and friends into humans instead.

Sonic the Human would have to be a contortionist to keep the whole ball physics/rolling thing working.

Then again...

Imageproxy.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

If he's not a human, he wouldn't be Eggman, would he?

"I am the Egganimal, that's what I am, I am the Egganimal I got the master plan."

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, right.

I'd absolutely undo Iizuka's asinine rule that only male hedgehogs can go super (which at least seems to not be mandated in the new classic games, as Mania gave all playable characters super forms).

If you find all the Chaos Emeralds as a character, that character should get a super form. Hedgehogs aren't special and shouldn't be the only ones who can power up.

• Thumbs Up 4

18 hours ago, thumbs13 said:

If he's not a human, he wouldn't be Eggman, would he?

"I am the Egganimal, that's what I am, I am the Egganimal I got the master plan."

What, are you saying animals can't be men?

Another one: I'd undo the retcon that struck Knuckles Chaotix from canon.

I'm fine with them being detectives now. But Knuckles Chaotix was, is, and will always be the first appearance of the Chaotix as a group. Ergo the Chaotix are friends and allies of Knuckles, Mighty is part of their crew, and Charmy absolutely knows who Eggman is in Sonic Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 4

22 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Oh, right.

I'd absolutely undo Iizuka's asinine rule that only male hedgehogs can go super (which at least seems to not be mandated in the new classic games, as Mania gave all playable characters super forms).

If you find all the Chaos Emeralds as a character, that character should get a super form. Hedgehogs aren't special and shouldn't be the only ones who can power up.

It even makes the whole parallel with Dragon Ball more apparent by having hedgehogs be the only ones able to transform like with Saiyans being the only Z-Fighters that can actually transform. 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Another one: I'd undo the retcon that struck Knuckles Chaotix from canon.

I'm fine with them being detectives now. But Knuckles Chaotix was, is, and will always be the first appearance of the Chaotix as a group. Ergo the Chaotix are friends and allies of Knuckles, Mighty is part of their crew, and Charmy absolutely knows who Eggman is in Sonic Heroes.

It's weird because Chaotix doesn't contradict anything story-wise, it can easily take place after Sonic 3 & Knuckles like the manual says it does. That and SEGA keeps referencing it in the past 8 years through music and all the Chaotix stuff in Mania (if it counts). 

11 minutes ago, MainJP said:

It even makes the whole parallel with Dragon Ball more apparent by having hedgehogs be the only ones able to transform like with Saiyans being the only Z-Fighters that can actually transform. 

It's weird because Chaotix doesn't contradict anything story-wise, it can easily take place after Sonic 3 & Knuckles like the manual says it does. That and SEGA keeps referencing it in the past 8 years through music and all the Chaotix stuff in Mania (if it counts). 

Yeah, I just ignore the retcon and see Chaotix as a thing that happened.

Charmy's "Doctor who?" line can just be chalked up to him being a ditz.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Yeah, I just ignore the retcon and see Chaotix as a thing that happened.

Charmy's "Doctor who?" line can just be chalked up to him being a ditz.

Or Charmy's just a big fan of time lords.

23 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

Or Charmy's just a big fan of time lords.

That would explain why he's 10 years younger.

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

That would explain why he's 10 years younger.

No he isn’t. The Japanese manual never gave him an age.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, MainJP said:

No he isn’t. The Japanese manual never gave him an age.

Okay, well in the Japan reality it's either-or.

In the Western hemisphere he's aged down due to time travel stuff.

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Okay, well in the Japan reality it's either-or.

In the Western hemisphere he's aged down due to time travel stuff.

I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of the old SoA game canon (barring minor things, like the name Robotnik) has been chucked out the window, even in the west, where the Japanese storyline has been more-or-less adopted.

But - given the topic - I guess you can make a case for undoing that if you wanted!

On 10/3/2019 at 12:04 AM, Dr. Mechano said:

Oh, right.

The way its phrased is dumb, but I think it's less a lore thing and more "Sonic, Shadow, and Silver are the only ones who have gone super in the modern games (Super shields in Heroes and Burning Blaze don't count), don't have anyone else do that". And nowadays that just means "only Sonic can go Super". It doesn't really matter if Cream can go Super if she'll never be playable again.

I'm fine with Knuckles Chaotix not being canon. I don't really see the necessity to keep it as such, personally. I don't entirely know why they need to be buds with Knuckles. I kind of like it more that they're a secondary group of characters that are just doing their own thing on the side that magnificently manages to effect the main plot. At least I did until they decided to stop telling stories and just shoved all the characters together into a single group, proclaiming them all as intimate friends. 

Truthfully, this is all just a matter of preference though. If Knuckles Chaotix was ever made canon, I'd probably just make it something of a random adventure that Knuckles was on and he just happened to come across them and they did a mission together before they parted ways, forgetting about one another like you tend to do when you meet people out there in the big, wide world.

The Chaotix not knowing who Eggman is doesn't make much sense regardless of whether Knuckles Chaotix happened or not. Then again, maybe all the big, memorable stuff Eggman did was on the human world before Heroes.