Awoo.

GAME:Sonic: Mecha

HCMissile

Sonic_Mecha_walk_cycle_by_HCMissile.jpg

Sonic: Mecha v0 p2.03

Use the arrow buttons to move. The Space Bar jumps, and if you press the space bar again, you engage fly mode.

This is a new version of a sonic game I have been developing in my spare time. I just got the physics engine operational over the last week since I plan to use this game as my major project for my game design II class this semester.

The games storyline and overall workup has actually been under development since 2004 back when The Mystical Forest Zone (MFZ) was a major contender in the sonic spriting community. (still is, but barely a 10th of the activity)

The original version of the game was developed using GameMaker and sprite work (back in 2004). However due to the fall of the MFZ and the loss of about half the progressive work done on the original variant of the game I quit working on it. Suddenly however I felt inspired to use the left over data as a template for a Flash version.

Honestly I don't know if posting it anywhere is really worth it since the sonic fan community seems to have begun a decline of devotion and attention as of late, but hopefully I can gain some interest into the project. I hope to see if the MFZ will retake up the offer to sponsor the game on their website (not that I can't do it myself on my own webspace) but thanks to their forum decommission of 2005-ish I highly doubt that it would be too worth it even if I got a response.

What I'm really hoping to find is help from other flash programmers and artists interested in the project, but I am not expecting it in the least bit since those are hard to come by, especially with a specific interest in sonic fan game development.

Now that the emo is expressed, the positive:

This game features a storyline which takes place somewhat after shadow the hedgehog, transforming the PAINFULLY lame 'eggman' into his original American persona of Dr. Ivo Robotnik. As it turns out, he has been secretly playing out this false mask of 'eggman' as a rouge to distract sonic and the heroes of the world from his actual plans.

The hedgehog however has somewhat thwarted a great deal of progress and has forced him to expend considerable resources to secrecy. As it turns out, he has been slowly and steadily working on advanced Chaos Core robotic technology.

Robots which require only pure Chaos energy to function. However the only way to channel Chaos energy (until his development of the Chaos Core) was through living organisms. This is why he always trapped animals within the shells of his robots. However now he no longer has the need.

As the ultimate revenge, Robotnik sets a trap for sonic and Chaos Robotisizes him using his new Chaos Core technology. You now play as Mecha Sonic, under the direct command of Ivo Robotnik to lead his march through world domination.

As you progress, you can chose 1 of three story paths depending on your actions and choices in gameplay

Good, Loyal, or Evil

-Good sets you up to rebel against robotnik and rejoin the ranks of the heroes

-Loyal allys you with robotnik and assists him on his rampage against the heroes of the world

-Evil changes you into something darker then Ivo himself, as you help him destroy the heroes, only to back stab him, taking his precious empire as your own.

An example of how you visually change can be seen here: Sonic: Mecha -RunTester-

Furthermore, as you play you may get a total of 56 (with a growing list) of various upgrades depending on how you play. For example, if you fly a lot, you get more fly upgrades. If you use Chaos powers a lot, you get even more Chaos Powers or more Chaos energy to use them with. If you get damaged frequently, you get armor,repair, or shield upgrades.

Within the story, you get to battle almost every hero, destroy almost all the major locations/stations in sonic history, and do it all with an in-game action sync'd soundtrack consisting of music from Shadow The Hedgehog, Sonic Adventure 2, and a great many goodies from OC Remix including the epic battle conclusion song

when you take out robotnik for good!

If you tired of those lame eggbots, the rediculously lame and un-thought-through plans, and the constant referral to himself as his own insult of "eggman", this game WILL be for you!

• Bad Quality Post 1

Hm, not a bad start. The animations look really slick, and flying around is pretty fun and easy to get the hang of, though the demo doesn't have many landmarks so it's hard to tell where you're going sometimes. One problem, tho'; you can't fly left and up or down and right. Up and right and down and left seem to work fine. Also it feels like he accelerates and decelerates really slowly when running; it might be worth messing with the numbers a bit so he doesn't feel quite so clunky. Overall, with some more work I could see this turning out to be really fun to play.

Can't say I'm a big fan of the story, tho'. Especially how vehemently you're pressing the Robotnik/Eggman issue; it seems really pissy and childish and if that leaks into the writing the whole story's a bust.

Can't say I'm a big fan of the story, tho'. Especially how vehemently you're pressing the Robotnik/Eggman issue; it seems really pissy and childish and if that leaks into the writing the whole story's a bust.

I can't say that my opinions of the Robotnik/Eggman issue won't influence how Ivo becomes far darker and sinister than his (real game) Eggman persona. However I don't exactly plan on designing the game to be a preachy outlet to directly express my frustrations of the Robotnik/Eggman issue. I'm hoping your concerns are the latter and that I can produce a storyline which vividly depicts the dark shift of the Ivo Era. If you are simply not in agreement that his persona should change from his eggman variant, than regretfully the game will have to disappoint since a key part of the story is his early and sudden personality shift and how the plot takes fold afterward.

If concerns arise that the new 'Robotnik' persona may not accurately depict the classic essence of Robotnik, then those concerns may be put to rest. I don't plan on making a 'new' Robotnik, but rather revive an old one. Specifically the same persona used in the American Sonic - SatAM TV show. This is the second time that I have mentioned the American variation of Eggman, but that is the one I prefer to work with compared to the newer personalities. I don't think I know any english-japanese translators who would be freely willing to translate the games dialog into Japanese. However, if that link occurs (by some slim and unforeseeable chance) then I will be more than happy to rework a second, slightly altered story in a Japanese variant. This of course is a long way down the road, if at all possible in the first place.

Reading back at how I wrote my explanation you do have a point there though. I will entirely admit have strong reservations concerning the Eggman/Robotnik issue. However The storyline focus's more so on more of a shift in reality as Robotnik exposes how he has been progressively toying around with sonic and the heroes while further improving his Master Plan with all the experience gained from the intentional destruction of his toy or 'test' armies. Gaining knowledge every time on more efficient ways to produce a functional Chaos Core network, powerful Warships, and yet again a new Space Station. In no part however does Ivo completely removes the references of Egg within his designs as all of his real army robots are E-xm100 series(which is a play on the "XM16E" Assault Rifle). Effectively (storyline wise) he was trying to fool the heroes and the lot of thinking he wasn't the true threat that he secretly has been the whole time.

The storyline takes a much darker path as players experience very vicious fights between Mecha and other bosses, and if you go the good route, they are reluctant to side back with you considering what you and Ivo have done already. I don't plan on making boss fights easy either, since in some cases taking damage is a natural consequence of beating the enemy, specifically Robotnik's forces. This is logically because he isn't going to be making forces which allow easy openings for enemies, but instead fills those openings with laser fire and quick maneuvering. So players are challenged to think strategically about all of their resources, including health, to take down targets. I don't plan on making the gameplay so difficult that the enemy is unfair, but the classic 'waiting for an opening' is a thing of the past.

It's similar to when Shadow The Hedgehog was released. Fans were expecting another Sonic game, but the problem was it was a Shadow game in its entirety. (I can't say I completely agreed with the additions of guns though... ultimate lifeforms don't really need guns, was fun though)

Your other glitch finds are very helpful, However when I enact game play, I can't seem to find the same problem with the flight controls. Otherwise I would have fixed that right away. Is there any particular conditions outside of just pressing the buttons straight away which cause it? -- I will go code hunting later tonight to find if there's anything to cause it.

I agree with the speed issue while on the ground, However the main reason he runs slow is because I plan on enacting the upgrade system soon, which will first include the addition of skate wheels to his boots for higher acceleration, top speed, and breaking speed. At speeds over 120, he will begin a 5th cycle of ground movement animation where he skates much like how Shadow does. Later on another upgrade will add upon the wheels with dexterity thrusters, so his boots work just like shadows, further increasing his top speed and acceleration. But not his stopping speed.

Edited by HCMissile

Are you crapping me? This game has a story that focuses on Eggman being a little thing to throw Sonic off his trail and that he turns back to being evil?

Gotta say. The plot sounds good. Purely evil Robotnik though, is something I'm kind of half and half though. I would like him to have a Magneto like attitude and mesh with Sonic instead of purely being his enemy. Still... This plot is very good. I love it.