Awoo.

Sonic Project Hero FINALLY downloadable!

Marco9966

4 hours ago, MainJP said:

That's just physics at play; Sonic gets a nice propulsion into the opposite direction however. The angle you're propelled in depends on what part of the slope your bouncing on and how steep the slope is.

A bit off topic, but I will forever love how bouncing in Sonic Adventure 2 was in a similar way, actually taking the slope of the ground into consideration, while in Sonic 2006, it was like "What is this mysterious thing called slope you keep talking about? Bounces should always go straight up!".

4 hours ago, MainJP said:

What you SHOULD be worried about is that insane amount of air you can achieve bouncing off of slopes with enough momentum.

Well, weren't Sonic games like this back in the day? Using the physics to get to places you're not supposed to?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tarnish said:

Well, weren't Sonic games like this back in the day? Using the physics to get to places you're not supposed to?

Not intentionally at least. In Adventure 2 in particular, you can break the game backwards by abusing the quirks of the physics engine. Fans and speed runners definitely took this and went wild though, finding tons of shortcuts and techniques you could use to get through stages quicker, or get to certain areas without specific upgrades, or what have you.

The question is if the fan game is meant to allow the player to break it like this, or not. It’s possible it’s just an unintended effect of momentum carrying in this specific way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just jumping in on the Bounce VS Stomp debate.

I do personally think there is merit in both, although I can understand why there'd be a desire for simplicity and only having one. The Bounce is far more free flowing which makes it more ideal for fluid traversal. On the way down (in SA2) you aren't locked out and can move around freely until you hit the ground and bounce. It makes things like the freefall short cut in Final Rush far easier to perform.

By contrast though, if I'm trying to land on a very specific spot and want to cancel out all momentum, the stomp is excellent.You're completely locked until you land so you absolutely need your timing to be perfect but you land immediately without the recoil the bounce has by nature. If I'm speedrunning, it might well be the case it's more beneficial to stomp and go compared to using the bounce, waiting to land a second time after bouncing and THEN setting off again.

If we HAD to pick one I do agree the bounce is more versatile and would probably opt for that but I don't think it's as clear cut as the bounce just being the stomp but better.

6 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Using the physics to your advantage is the point, but it really shouldn't outright break the levels/gameplay. If a trick ends up being so powerful that you can shoot yourself over half the level there's hardly reason to not do that...except that it's not very fun to do that all the time and all the effort that went into making the actual level is wasted. You'd have to constantly hold yourself back, deliberately play inefficiently, to actually play the level in any meaningful sense.

• Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

If a trick ends up being so powerful that you can shoot yourself over half the level there's hardly reason to not do that...

If you're referring to that speedrun video I posted, there's a very simple fix for that...all they have to do is remove that piece of terrain (it's not as hard to do that skip as it should be).

But levels that don't wrap around like that and slopes that steep also fix any potential issues like that in the future.

Don't really have much to add that hasn't already been said, but I've become exceedingly exhausted with these 3D physics/gameplay concepts and not have a genuine 'level' to play through. Gameplay and level design are two sides of the same coin, and as fantastic as tech demos like Utopia, Hero and Islands are, I was really hoping to see some evolution on the level design front. There's also Sonic GT which has a few levels, but the best looking one is literally just Radical Highway, and the level design does not accommodate the gameplay very well. 

And yes, saying "wow, SEGA should hire you" is such a tired and low tier comment. At best you could expect them to be a part of a team if they have any business sense or know how to get along with other human beings, which I get the feeling that a LOT of fangame devs don't. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

It took Nintendo a year to crack Mario moving around in a box, and that was when it was their job and they could afford to work on it 8 hours a day. 

Give them time and provide constructive feedback to what they give you if you really want to help things along. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• 1 month later...

So I just downloaded Sonic Project Hero and Sonic GT.

I've tried both, and with my surprise, I ended up liking Sonic GT a lot more.

Project Hero is probably more advanced, both physics and animations seem to be more complex and have less issues, though GT works way better gameplay wise... Sonic is easier to control, the camera works better (at least in my opinion), and the fact that it comes with some levels to play helps.Well, there are a couple of situations where the camera glitches in GT (when you are hit sometimes it faces upside-down), but if you are careful enough, it won't be an issue; in Hero I had the feeling that the camera turned too fast and made the overall controls less precise (but I had a bit of input lag so maybe it's because of that).

I LOVED the level design of Hill Top Zone (Sonic GT), it's very close to what I'd want 3D sonic to be like. It's still a bit rough, and it's missing big flashy level gimmicks and maybe some precision platforming sections, but it's (in my opinion) the closest transition to 3D of 2D Sonic so far, even compared to official stuff.

My only issue is that occasionally I jump on a wall at angle because I want to run on it (like Parkour), instead Sonic will stop attempting to do a walljump. There should be a script to manage when Sonic should walljump or wallrun depending on the angle and speed at which you stick to the wall.

I also appreciated how you can turn off and decrease most of the video settings to allow the game to run on weak PCs... I got pretty low framerates in both games, but GT allowed me to adjust the settings more and get a better result compared to Hero. Despite this, it still didn't have an option to turn off the water shaders, and it still got some frame drops in sections with water.

(Sonic GT gets spotted by my antivirus as a false positive, and it will delete the .EXE file without asking regardless of the options, so I had some troubles to run it).

EDIT: Controls are a bit too complex in both fangames IMO, I think they should be optimized more... for example, 2 buttons for spindash are way too much IMO when you usually need just one, or just combine the jump button with the down direction (in 2D) without even a dedicated button.

It should just charge like Adventure's Spindash, that's the only other way to do it in 3D if you have a dedicated button.

Down and Jump doesn't work in 3D.

EIS.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

i tried to download it but it says the "Sonic - Project Hero_Data" file may be corrupted and i cannot move it into the configuration that allows the game to run (having that file next to the game)

i fixed my problem

Edited by ItzMeDB
i fixed the problem i was asking for help about

Surprised no one talked about the April Fools build:

I should state however that the current version of Project Hero is way different than what was at SAGE and this very build, you have been warned.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, DryLagoon said:

I was both excited and sad when I saw it was just a joke. 

Don't worry, it is downloadable, just check the pinned comment for a link.

• 7 months later...
On 4/19/2020 at 2:47 AM, BlueSpeedster said:

True, true

BlueSpeedster?! when tf did you get an SSMB account?

(for context to anyone confused, BlueSpeedster is a friend I know on discord)

• 5 months later...