Awoo.

If you were in charge of the Sonic franchise

Big Panda

15 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

A chaos emerald radar, a fake chaos emerald, extreme gear, a spaceship (twice, Fighters and ShtH), the Miles Electric (plus wisp translator), all the vehicles in Rush Adventure, a TV (out of paperclips), just off the top of my head. And I don't think the Cyclone should be discounted just because it can be a plane in addition to being a mech and a car. He's never been solely interested in planes and I don't see any reason to change that.

Semi-frequent overall, but that's why I only said those 2 games. Though I guess in my use of the word significant, Sonic Riders and Rush Adventure makes 4 games.

I'm just saying, that's what I would do.

I really, really want the series to go for more emphasis on being well animated and giving it an art-style overhaul. There's a lot of great games out there that manage to get down a nice, sleek looking action-cartoon vibe. Stuff like those Ultimate Ninja Storm games or, I suppose, Dragonball FighterZ. 

Just something that gets rid of the tired look the models have had in the 3D games since Unleashed. I feel like we've been long overdue for a change in that regard and I'd like to see their expressions and bodies, squash, stretch, and exaggerate themselves a bit more. 

I'd make sure there'd be a heavy focus on that for whatever my next game would be. And none of that text-box shit from Forces that they did in-between the levels.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Dr. Franken-Mike said:

I really, really want the series to go for more emphasis on being well animated and giving it an art-style overhaul. There's a lot of great games out there that manage to get down a nice, sleek looking action-cartoon vibe. Stuff like those Ultimate Ninja Storm games or, I suppose, Dragonball FighterZ. 

Just something that gets rid of the tired look the models have had in the 3D games since Unleashed. I feel like we've been long overdue for a change in that regard and I'd like to see their expressions and bodies, squash, stretch, and exaggerate themselves a bit more. 

I'd make sure there'd be a heavy focus on that for whatever my next game would be. And none of that text-box shit from Forces that they did in-between the levels.

Replicating Uekawa's artsyle in 3D would be a step in the right direction for one.

FaNzNaM.png

Something I don't think has been attempted since Sonic Adventure.

BAJp47m.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

33 minutes ago, MainJP said:

Replicating Uekawa's artsyle in 3D would be a step in the right direction for one. 

Well, it wouldn't really make much difference now, he's not doing that exaggerated look anymore.

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Well, it wouldn't really make much difference now, he's not doing that exaggerated look anymore.

I mean, even his current style is more dynamic and interesting than any of the 3D renders.

CKshGAf.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh sorry guys I completely misinterpreted what the topic was about. Initially I thought this thread was about what I, myself, would personally want to do with the series, not what I would do that other people want. Me wanting the FFs in the games was totally stupid since there are other people who don't want them, man I feel  dumb for thinking about stuff that would make me happy to see, sorry for the mix-up guys

also if one more person tells me "there's no point in adding them" (like that's actually gonna convince me the more times you say it?? and what's honestly the point of any of the other suggestions posted in this topic if you're gonna pull the pointless card) I'm gonna lose it lmao

• Thumbs Up 2

This is a thought I had recently because of talking about Riders, but I think it'd be cool to put the Babylon Rogues in a platformer. They're thieves and all so I could easily see them going after the Emeralds or even a new Collectible Thing the Heroes Need, and there ya have it, mini boss squad. Or if I dare say so, the main antagonists? (I wouldn't want them to be hired by Eggman either way tho', I like him and all but I think antagonists needing to be involved with him has gotten way past tired...I feel like I've complained about that enough in recent years lol.)

In general I'd want to do more fun stuff like that. I like getting new characters, but thinking of new roles or ideas for ones that already exist but are underutilized or abandoned is fun.

• Thumbs Up 5

4 hours ago, Sean said:

Oh sorry guys I completely misinterpreted what the topic was about. Initially I thought this thread was about what I, myself, would personally want to do with the series, not what I would do that other people want. Me wanting the FFs in the games was totally stupid since there are other people who don't want them, man I feel  dumb for thinking about stuff that would make me happy to see, sorry for the mix-up guys

also if one more person tells me "there's no point in adding them" (like that's actually gonna convince me the more times you say it?? and what's honestly the point of any of the other suggestions posted in this topic if you're gonna pull the pointless card) I'm gonna lose it lmao

I also love how the detractors don't even know really basic things about them(how long ago was Sonic/Sally a thing in the comics?) 

I don't even really like them that much aside from Bunnie and Nicole but it takes maybe 10 seconds of thought to onboard them on a basic level. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd give Zavok another game, show his relationships with the Zeti. Especially Zik in greater detail empahises his cunning and really give a different kind of challenge to Sonic then he would ever get from Eggman. Make the Z man more willing to kill, less focus on grandure and showmanship like Eggman. A real rock solid secondary villian.

Alternatively just give me a prequel game just about Zavok but then I'd just be spoiling myself, heh 

4 hours ago, Sean said:

This, especially. There's not really a 'point' to the Chaotix or background characters like Vanilla the Rabbit, but they're here anyway; and forgotten characters like Mighty and Ray have found a new purpose (playable ones!) despite not having much of a reason to be there, either. It can be done, it's just a matter of 'wanting' to have them there and doing something purposeful with them when they are.

It's not like we're asking them to be playable necessarily (not that it's impossible to think of fun ways to play as them, just use your imagination), just more legacy characters to help develop the setting and flesh out Sonic's world. I mean, I'm pretty sure most of y'all hate "Solo-Sonica" to begin with, so the discrimination against these particular "non-canon" characters is sort of confusing to me.

And... well, this is a "what I would do" topic, not a cross examination. A "bring back the Freedom Fighters" or "put Sally in the games" topic might be a better sort of thread to discuss the merits of putting these guys in the game canon. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Get the team that did the Crash Bandicoot remakes to do remakes of Sonic Adventure 1 & 2.

Full-fledged 'Sonic Mania Adventures' animated series on Nickelodeon.

'Team Dark' animated series for some other network or streaming platform. An 'edgier' take on Sonic which is rated TV-14. (Focuses strictly on Team Dark, GUN & Eggman. No Sonic & friends)

Stop doing Mario & Sonic games.

Retire CuBot, OrBot, Deadly Six, Wisps & Charmy.

10 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Tails isn't really that much of a tech guy, he's mostly just a plane guy and occasionally dips into robots.

Rotor could like actually build stuff.

10 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Tails has made tons of things, though?

10 hours ago, StaticMania said:

He has, but like...

Tails' Adventure and Sonic Battle are 2 of the only games where he's made a significant amount of anything that isn't related to planes.

I'd keep his interest in building stuff strictly plane-centric, because he flies and it fits that the one thing he's really into is related to his main ability.

Okay, I knew this was gonna come up, but let's actually talk about this from not sides. 

First off, Rotor being a mechanic does NOT somehow discount Tails doing it. It's so weird that he seems to be the big one regarding that stuff here, but I suppose it makes sense with his time of inception. However, in this case, HighBlob raises the other end of that comment,  which goes both ways. 

The difference between the two is that Tails is generally more varied and ingenious about tinkerer, whereas Rotor is a more limited and straightforward mechanic. The reboot(which drew from early Archie) highlighted this in that while Rotor is enthusiastic about weaponry and mundane things like bathrooms, he doesn't know as much as Tails regarding more complex fields like aircraft and so required assistance for things like the Sky Patrol.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

First off, Rotor being a mechanic does NOT somehow discount Tails doing it.

I did not say or intend to imply that it did, I would've kept Tails plane-centric (or just flight-based) regardless of Rotor's inclusion.

A lot of gadgets are just plot convenience most of the time, as in...he just happens to have the exact thing they need in any given situation which isn't the best thing in the world.

I'm uh not fond of most of the FF and to be general a lot of the archie characters pre-reboot. That said them being brought back as specifically background characters that aren't that important would be fine. I would personally prefer if they wanna flesh out that world, they move on from them, I personally don't think they are that interesting visually or characterization wise. That said the premise seems harmless and I don't know why one would fight against it, if they are just in the background.

To answer the OP

New branch or complete visual and tone reboot/overhaul/new direction going forward. I would like to do neat stuff with the characters, however that would require basically getting rid of a lot. So you know that.

4 hours ago, StaticMania said:

I did not say or intend to imply that it did, I would've kept Tails plane-centric (or just flight-based) regardless of Rotor's inclusion.

I'm sure you didn't. It's just something that came up before flipped on it's head.

A lot of gadgets are just plot convenience most of the time, as in...he just happens to have the exact thing they need in any given situation which isn't the best thing in the world.

And I guess that's part of why people get defensive about it.

14 hours ago, MainJP said:

FaNzNaM.png

Something I don't think has been attempted since Sonic Adventure.

BAJp47m.jpg

Eureka! This would be a good point of artistic divergence between Dreamcast and Modern. This reminds me that even Zavok doesn’t have any 2D Uekawa Art, and his only 2D art from Sonic Team is obviously a traced 3D model.

18 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

. This reminds me that even Zavok doesn’t have any 2D Uekawa Art, and his only 2D art from Sonic Team is obviously a traced 3D model.

Which one? 

There's also the reveal concept art with them and Sonic. 

19 hours ago, Diogenes said:

The only Freedom Fighter I could see myself adding in would be Bunnie, since I think her being a cyborg could be both unique gameplay and unique story hooks . Otherwise, not being a fan of them to start with, I just don't see the point. The FF as a group don't really fit the games, where Eggman's plans always get shut down long before any kind of organized resistance is necessary (Forces excepted obviously).

You once said the same exact thing for Mighty and Ray before they were brought back in Mania and you began to defend them. I figured you would know better than to say that for any other character at this point.

Sally can't lead a group that doesn't exist

Then she can form one, which is what she’s done multiple times by bringing fragmented groups together. 

and Sega obviously wouldn't allow her as Sonic's love interest,

Which she hasn’t been for at least half a decade up to Archie Sonic’s end as she still went about leading fights, bringing people together, and planning missions and personally staging assaults and rescue missions.

Rotor's just another tech guy,

Who specialized in weaponry while Tails dabbled in aeronautics, which the two were able to collaborate together to build better things.

One more tech guy isn’t going to devalue the other tech guys. There’s been whole shows and games with Voltron, the MCU, DC, Avatar the Last Airbender, Legend of Korra, Megaman, and a laundry list of others that have had a more than three techies with no problems.

and...was there ever anything appealing about Antoine?

The fact that you even asked this question is a testament to many things considering the answer is yes, there is something appealing about him.

The guy had multiple character arcs that took him from a coward who couldn’t throw a decent punch to save his life and would hide behind his more powerful friends, and built him to an actual brave soul willing to fight and in one case literally die to save his friends, family, and people he vowed to protect...like a certain blue hedgehog. And when he seemed on the verge of  death prior to the comic’s reboot, fan reaction actually kept him alive when hit in the gut that he just might be the first of the cast to be gone for good when he took a point blank explosion to save a family from Eggman’s attack—an act which actually broke apart Sonic and his friends for a period.

His main difference is that he was among the weakest of the cast,  but at that point he was going to fight and die anyway. It’s one thing for someone with superpowers or intelligence to fight, but it’s a whole different matter when someone with hardly any special abilities and far more fragile and cowardly than perhaps Tails beyond sword fighting is still willing to stand and fight alongside his more powerful friends when he knows he has even less of a chance than they do.

And that’s before his canceled arc where he would’ve took another level in badass. He’s basically the Avatar from Forces with an actual character, and a very 3 dimensional one at that (and go right on ahead and ask me what those dimensions are, because I will be happy to add more to this detail).

There's a lot that'd have to be changed or added just to get them up to functional and the only reason to bother seems to be courting their existing fans rather than the characters bringing something interesting to the series.

Which goes to show how little you’ve paid attention to them, because they’ve already been changed to be functional to the games before the comics end.

So yeah, I’ll side with bringing the Freedom Fighters into the games, because there is a shitload more they could add that people are either pretending doesn’t exist or are unaware is already present.

On top of that, I’d reboot Chronicles and bring back the Nocturnus tribe. We could use more villains.

8 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

You once said the same exact thing for Mighty and Ray before they were brought back in Mania and you began to defend them. I figured you would know better than to say that for any other character at this point.

And aside from Ray's gameplay I still don't really give a shit about them. Classic Sonic also wasn't already bloated with characters that they don't know what to do with.

Then she can form one, which is what she’s done multiple times by bringing fragmented groups together. 

In case you missed it that was kind of my point, that they'd have to change and add a bunch of things to make these characters work in the games. Also, whatever group she might make, it wouldn't (or shouldn't) be "the Freedom Fighters", because that group doesn't make sense in the context of the games.

Who specialized in weaponry while Tails dabbled in aeronautics, which the two were able to collaborate together to build better things.

Tails can already build weapons. I don't see the point in bringing in a character just for him to work with. It may not "devalue" him but there's still no actual gain that I can see.

[Antoine]'s basically the Avatar from Forces with an actual character,

So like one of the most basic heroic arcs imaginable, with a character with no hook. Would we need to sit through a half dozen games of a boring character slowly growing slightly less boring, or would he just be a badass from the start and thus never actually interesting?

Which goes to show how little you’ve paid attention to them, because they’ve already been changed to be functional to the games before the comics end.

Yeah sorry I'm not an expert on a dead comic that happened to be tangentially related to something I'm interested in. Even if they got changed to be more like game characters eventually I've still never seen them as a natural fit for it, or much of any reason to make them fit, again aside from pleasing their fans.

28 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

And aside from Ray's gameplay I still don't really give a shit about them. Classic Sonic also wasn't already bloated with characters that they don't know what to do with.

And yet they were still able to find something for them to do, so this “there’s no point to them” really holds no water.

In case you missed it that was kind of my point, that they'd have to change and add a bunch of things to make these characters work in the games. Also, whatever group she might make, it wouldn't (or shouldn't) be "the Freedom Fighters", because that group doesn't make sense in the context of the games.

In case you missed it, that was already done

And whether or not they’re called “the Freedom Fighters” wouldn’t matter, nor would it be bad if that’s what it is referred to. The characters are more important than the name of their group.

Tails can already build weapons. I don't see the point in bringing in a character just for him to work with. It may not "devalue" him but there's still no actual gain that I can see.

And Sonic can already fly a plane. So what?

There’s a reason people specialize. It’s for better focus, particularly when they collaborate for bigger projects.

So like one of the most basic heroic arcs imaginable, with a character with no hook. Would we need to sit through a half dozen games of a boring character slowly growing slightly less boring, or would he just be a badass from the start and thus never actually interesting?

How about an actual analysis instead of subtle mockery, then I’ll give this a actual response.

Yeah sorry I'm not an expert on a dead comic that happened to be tangentially related to something I'm interested in.

Then try using a Wiki as a quick reference for once, like everyone else when they don’t know something they’re criticizing.

That or TV Tropes if you want a less informal detail on them.

16 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Yeah sorry I'm not an expert on a dead comic that happened to be tangentially related to something I'm interested in. Even if they got changed to be more like game characters eventually I've still never seen them as a natural fit for it, or much of any reason to make them fit, again aside from pleasing their fans.

Can you just stay out of discussions about them then if you literally have no perspective to offer

• Thumbs Up 2

38 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Yeah sorry I'm not an expert on a dead comic that happened to be tangentially related to something I'm interested in. Even if they got changed to be more like game characters eventually I've still never seen them as a natural fit for it, or much of any reason to make them fit, again aside from pleasing their fans

It must truly be terrible to be such a miserable prick for 25 years that you must force your way into conversations talking about things you don't understand just so people can know how much you don't like things.

• Thumbs Up 1

oh for fuck's sake

Dio knock this shit off and don't ruin this topic more than you already have. This is a thread about 100% wish fulfillment involving a scenario (becoming the franchise leader) that has as much chance of happening as becoming the US president. Sometimes people just want to talk about stuff they want - you know, for fun - without being put on trial, and this is the fucking hill you're dying on and it's pathetic

• Thumbs Up 4

Jeez, why did it get bad? 

To steer back onto topic, I suppose I'd essentially try what [whoever] said about the Babylon Rogues and expand that to other characters. Give Knuckles a major role again, have Amy and Cream get some interaction together, do a Rush 3 or 06 2 for Blaze, have members of the Deadly Six be antagonists for a chapter/subplot/game, etc.