Awoo.

If you were in charge of the Sonic franchise

Big Panda

• Get rid of the Two Worlds shit. Mobians live on islands, humans live on continents. Simple as that.
  • Sonic Chronicles is a prequel to Forces.
  • Get IDW to produce a 13 issue SatAM "Season 3" comic based on what Hurst had planned before the show was cancelled. Although maybe adjust Sonic's design to be closer to Tyson Hesse's Classic Sonic design.
  • Begin work on a 2D Silver The Hedgehog spinoff game with similarities to Megaman Zero and Sonic Rush. Also starring Blaze and Mephiles.
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Dang, I don't know how I missed this thread the first time around... everyone's ideas, from OP to page 9, are pretty spot on. It's interesting how much of a natural consensus exists among fans, with only minor variances among smaller details, but wide agreement on general concepts/styles that should work and how to focus on them more effectively.

There's no shortage of Sonic talent out there -- only really in the Sonic Team 3D game design is the talent lacking (for a variety of reasons). The comics, cartoons, movie, Mania were all fantastic in terms of execution on what's available. Even the 3D design could be good, if better focused (ie, Unleashed if boost/battle stages were separate campaigns instead of just tripping up a game in a series originally built around momentum)

But Sega is the final boss, and they have the final say. 

So. 

If I were in charge, I'd essentially approve every post thus far in the thread. And one new idea.

Mania team reunited, collaborating with the core original Sonic Team -- Ohshima, Yasuhara, Naka. Small team. No hierarchy; just different jobs that need to be done and different specialties. Decisions made based on majority vote if there's disagreement. Ideally, once programming, the two teams would begin to "finish each other's thoughts" in a way and create brand new level challenges.

Ya I would make Classic and Modern Sonic the same character again instead of alternate dimensions. I always viewed Modern Sonic as just older. I don’t know if it’s a big problem though. I mean hasn’t Classic only been from an alternate dimension in Forces? Correct me if I’m wrong because I don’t remember the details off the top of my head. If you really want couldn’t you say it’s just time travel again?...because phantom ruby. It has different powers.

I honestly do not see any other major inconsistencies. The Mobius or Earth thing I guess could be decided one way or the other. Making it Earth would contradict the movie though and in general would require a backstory/explanation somewhere.

No reboots. Stuff would eventually upset people and they’d complain about continuity all over again. I don’t know if you can even have 1 clear consistent continuity. That puts strict restrictions and demands on other adaptations. Does any franchise this long have just 1?

Biggest thing I’d do is bring the Freedom Fighters into the games. Playable of course with gameplay based on them.

Get a Sonic theme park attraction at Universal Studios. Nothing against Disney but they’d probably want to own him.

Do a mainline crossover game with Mario.

More live action movies.

I for one never even viewed classic Sonic as necessarely younger than modern Sonic, just a different design of the same damn character. I never felt we ever needed an in-universe explanation as to why the classic versions of the characters look different from the modern versions.

• Thumbs Up 3

When Generations came about, I was totally onboard with Classic Sonic being his younger self.

They were going through a memory lane of levels from the past all the way to the present, so it was pretty easy to get into.

Then, everything changed when Forces arrived...

One thing I would do is re-list the games Sega de-listed at the turn of the decade like 06 and Unleashed. My argument would be "we could delist every game in the series that was mediocre, and axe Lost World, Rise of Lyric and Forces, but that would be a waste of everybody's time and energy for no discernable benefit. We should accept that these games happened rather than strike them down with holy retribution like Nintendo on a fan project."

54 minutes ago, BadBehavior said:

One thing I would do is re-list the games Sega de-listed at the turn of the decade like 06 and Unleashed

Sonic Unleashed is currently available, and as far as I can tell, Sonic 06 was never available on a digital storefront in the first place. Remember it came out a year after the launch of the 360, and thus predates most of the Xbox Live storefront functions.

Any supposed "delistings" of either of those games would have come from the halt of printing physical media. Which, well, yeah. You can't print discs forever. 

1 hour ago, BadBehavior said:

One thing I would do is re-list the games Sega de-listed at the turn of the decade like 06 and Unleashed. My argument would be "we could delist every game in the series that was mediocre, and axe Lost World, Rise of Lyric and Forces, but that would be a waste of everybody's time and energy for no discernable benefit. We should accept that these games happened rather than strike them down with holy retribution like Nintendo on a fan project."

I'm pretty sure Unleashed got resisted when it was added to the Xbox One Backwards Compatibility list. There have been reprinting of Unleashed recently. For one, I saw a bunch of Xbox 360 Unleashed copies at Wal-Mart about a month ago. Walmart.com has it for purchase as well, but only in-store. Also, Europe has Unleashed reprintings with Xbox One/Xbox 360 hybrid packaging, along with Generations and ASRT. 

26 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Sonic Unleashed is currently available, and as far as I can tell, Sonic 06 was never available on a digital storefront in the first place. Remember it came out a year after the launch of the 360, and thus predates most of the Xbox Live storefront functions.

Any supposed "delistings" of either of those games would have come from the halt of printing physical media. Which, well, yeah. You can't print discs forever. 

Sonic 06 actually was added to the Xbox Store as a digital purchase in 2009, and the Demo was there since 2006. Both were removed from Xbox in 2010, which is when the de-listings started to happen. Sonic 06 still have a page on the Xbox Store though, but it just has the DLC and background themes to purchase, with no demo or game.

54 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

Sonic 06 actually was added to the Xbox Store as a digital purchase in 2009, and the Demo was there since 2006. Both were removed from Xbox in 2010, which is when the de-listings started to happen. Sonic 06 still have a page on the Xbox Store though, but it just has the DLC and background themes to purchase, with no demo or game.

Strange, I couldn't find any records of it being added or removed. Or maybe it's not all that strange at all.

56 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

There have been reprinting of Unleashed recently. For one, I saw a bunch of Xbox 360 Unleashed copies at Wal-Mart about a month ago

Don't get confused with new-old stock. I can still buy sealed boxes of 16bit PCMCIA Netgear NICs (they are endless), that doesn't mean they are still being manufactured.

59 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

Also, Europe has Unleashed reprintings with Xbox One/Xbox 360 hybrid packaging, along with Generations and ASRT. 

Okay now that's surprising. I wonder how that came about...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

Okay now that's surprising. I wonder how that came about...

It's been happening since the X1's backward compatability started. I saw something similar for Red Dead Redemption: an Xbox 360 game in the Xbox One section in an Xbox One case.