Awoo.

New remixes by Tee Lopes

TheOcelot

14 hours ago, SBR2 said:

If this leads to the Lopes sibs doing vocal tracks in future games I'm all for it. Honestly get Mariana to do a new version of Believe in Myself. She's got the pipes for it.

And preferably the Adventure 2 version.

2 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Gonna get hate for this, but I enjoy Tee's early fan remixes so much more than the ones from Mania and onward. While the production quality I'm sure is much higher on the recent ones, I find his old remixes like Splash Hill Zone, Green Hill Zone 2012 and Bridge Zone so much more creative.

I think that's largely because those remixes wouldn't apply so well to Mania's presentation. I think his remix of Sandopolis in TSR is similar to those remixes.

6 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I think that's largely because those remixes wouldn't apply so well to Mania's presentation. I think his remix of Sandopolis in TSR is similar to those remixes.

Probably that's why I found the Mania soundtrack kinda 'meh'. It was so grounded/limited on what they allowed to be done with the music when it came to the old/classic songs.

13 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Probably that's why I found the Mania soundtrack kinda 'meh'. It was so grounded/limited on what they allowed to be done with the music when it came to the old/classic songs.

I think his work on Mania is still great though, and he certainly pushes the boundaries with tracks like Metallic Madness 2.

I could see why Jaques would be upset but the reaction was too much. It's like he tweeted his gut emotional reaction and I can tell you from experience from someone whos kinda hotheaded that firing off the dome like that is never a good idea in terms of respecting others's feelings. Tee deserves basic respect and empathy even if you want to critique his work 

Lopes was the wrong person for Jacques to blame, and he did it in a way that utterly vilified him as opposed to bringing up his issues in a reasonable manner. He should have directed his ire towards Sega and he was very flippant towards users attempting to correct him in the Twitter thread (before he deleted it), telling them they were wrong without explaining why at all. All of my respect for Jacques and his work has withered away and he should apologize to Lopes, who was dragged through the mud for all the wrong reasons. If not then that bitter old man can fuck off.

• Thumbs Up 6

59 minutes ago, Sean said:

Lopes was the wrong person for Jacques to blame, and he did it in a way that utterly vilified him as opposed to bringing up his issues in a reasonable manner. He should have directed his ire towards Sega and he was very flippant towards users attempting to correct him in the Twitter thread (before he deleted it), telling them they were wrong without explaining why at all. All of my respect for Jacques and his work has withered away and he should apologize to Lopes, who was dragged through the mud for all the wrong reasons. If not then that bitter old man can fuck off.

Pre-fucking-cisely.

And furthermore, his attitude is just plain shitty. Does he that think he's out of pocket or something by not being credited for a fun remix that SEGA commissioned for their social media channels? If he's supposed to earn royalties or credits for anytime that SEGA uses his work, it's not unreasonable for him to demand that any wrong are righted. But the manner in which he did so it's disgusting. Jacques is a legend of a musician in the video gaming field and more, especially in the Sonic community. I just can't stand his attitude and lack of an apology. He shouldn't have made this public, and now he ought to show some public humility. Until then at the very least, he can fuck right off.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sonic 4 had some arguibly good to great compositions, what doomed it was the """"Genesis"""" synths Jun used back then... But the melody for a lot of these songs is pretty catchy. Well some for both!

• Thumbs Up 2

Definitely not what I expected. But then again, I didn't expect Welcome to Station Square or Can You Feel the Sunshine. I guess pretty much anything is on the cards. I really like it though. As someone who never liked the original Splash Hill 1 and wasn't a fan of the medley Jun did some year ago, this remix really hits the nail on the head. Lots of energy here. It's not amazing, because the original compositions are so limited in what they do that no amount of remixing these short and simple tracks is ever going to make them into something that they're not. But this is jam; can't fault it really.

And look, this is like the hundredth time Senoue and Lopes have gotten into bed together to create something great. I hope they're both major players in the soundtrack for the next mainline Sonic game (or anything else, really). Ohtani is a good musician, but his recent efforts as music director have been lacking. Senoue started to flag after a while with Sonic games too, and after some time away from the series he came back on top form (if we ignore the oddity that was S4E1/2). I think Senoue and Lopes would work wonders on a Sonic soundtrack where they're in full collaboration. TSR was a great taster.

• Thumbs Up 3

19 minutes ago, Jango said:

Sonic 4 had some arguibly good to great compositions, what doomed it was the """"Genesis"""" synths Jun used back then... But the melody for a lot of these songs is pretty catchy. Well some for both!

That's more than we can say about games like Rise of Lyric... I like these redux concepts. And now we have remixes for three eras; Classic (Can You Feel the Sunshine), Dreamcast (Welcome To Station Square), and Modern (Splash Hill Zone).

Ah, heck yeah. Team Sonic Racing soundtrack is fucking great. Jun and Tee are as great together as they are separated. Althought that soundtrack also had other amazing composers and, as ironic as it sounds, one of my favorites tracks is Sky Road, which was composed by... Ohtani! XD I guess it all depends on the side of the bed they woke up, ha!

Anyways, YES, oh God yes SEGA, keep all these composers around. Imagine a full on 3D Sonic with a soundtrack composed by these people? I've been hearing a Sonic Adventure vibe coming from them lately. Even Runners had a few songs that sounded straight out of SA.

So turns out not having ear raping crappy synths as instruments makes songs a lot more enjoyable to listen to...who'd have thunk it?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jango said:

Yeah, that's been the case for what I've heard.

Though I thought Metal Sonic's theme and the Eggman Teamup were pretty good too.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Though I thought Metal Sonic's theme and the Eggman Teamup were pretty good too.

Metal Sonic theme would floor me. They need to remix that sucker.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, of all the songs in Episode 2, Metal Sonic theme and all 3 acts of Sky Fortress are the only good ones, IMO. Death Egg MK2 is also pretty neat. The rest, especially Oil Desert (is that the right name?) are ew.

9 minutes ago, Jango said:

Yeah, off all the songs in Episode 2, Metal Sonic theme and all 3 acts of Sky Fortress are the only good ones, IMO. Death Egg MK2 is also pretty neat.

Might have to give those a listen.

9 minutes ago, Jango said:

The rest, especially Oil Desert (is that the right name?) are ew.

Quack-QUACK, Quack-QUACK! Quack-quack QUACK quack QUACK!

Sonic Adventure, Sonic R, and Sonic 4 E1.

Kind of a weird assortment. I mean, you do you. But still.

Now that was good. These two just can't stop being awesome. Wonder what they'll do next, anything is possible (as long as it isn't a Jacques track I guess). How many more do we have in this batch?

8 hours ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Now that was good. These two just can't stop being awesome. Wonder what they'll do next, anything is possible (as long as it isn't a Jacques track I guess). How many more do we have in this batch?

Just one more to go. I hope that, like Station Square or Sand Hill in TSR, it's another relatively forgotten track. But anything is sure to be interesting really.

7 hours ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

These two just can't stop being awesome.

I have to say tho, I didn't really hear much of Tee Lopes' influence/style in Splash Hill. Even if it's there, it's buried under Jun's guitar work. For me it just sounded like the typical Jun song (not that that's a bad thing).

• 1 month later...