Awoo.

What is it about Sonic that makes so many wish to disconnect him from non-Eggman humans?

Almar

You literally just don't like eggman. So why beat around the bush and make a half assed expy of him when you can just omit a character like him entirely in your ideal sonic fantasy?

19 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

All that signifies is that he's male.

I actually have a design that I think looks good. It was meant to be for a hypothetical "new Eggman", but I think it could work for Robotnik himself.

Eggfox.png

This is reminding me of something, I just can't nail.

Anyway

36 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

I don't think his mustache or baldness are that integral to his design. The red jacket is what I notice first and foremost.

Say, how bout maybe making a villain that isn't primarily red again? Nevermind derivative of Eggman anyway.

But yeah, Eggman's Moustache is pretty iconic of the character.

49 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

I don't think his mustache or baldness are that integral to his design. The red jacket is what I notice first and foremost.

310?cb=20140530033619

The Eggman logo is literally his face

• Thumbs Up 5

8 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

What's up with the cleft at the bottom?

It's similar to  the bottom of his jacket.

image.thumb.png.09daf7e9b9f6d2936d7708a3ada328b1.pngimage.thumb.png.e1bf8b10150681691bbf7d95c5601fec.png

Front or back, whichever.

4 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

File:MSOGT Dr. Eggman Fencing.png

Oh my God. Who is this man?

Is that Eggman? I can't tell because he's not wearing his iconic red jacket.

I mean... come on now...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 2
  • Chuckle 4

After some thought, I've decided that maybe Eggman does need a mustache of some kind. Here's an edit of my previous drawing that makes him an otter instead. As you can see, his whiskers look a lot like a mustache.

Otter Eggman.png

There is still nothing Eggman about that. It’s just a generic looking animal in Eggman-like attire. Lacks all the heart (and weight) Eggman’s got.

Once again this leaves me asking, you just don’t like Eggman. So what is the point in making some half assed Eggman-like critter when you can just omit a character like that from existing in your sonic fantasy headcanon? Just to please fans besides yourself?

22 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

You people are so unpleasable! This is why nobody likes the Sonic fanbase!

You're the one who wasn't pleased with Eggman being human in the first place

20 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

You're suggesting they change one of the most fundamental parts of the series, one of its longest-running and most consistently-appearing characters, from his well-recognized design into a pretty generic furry...just because you don't want him to be a human. Imagine if someone said they should redesign Sonic into a human and their example is just Chris Thorndyke with blue hair; would you support that just because someone else wanted it?

• Promotion 1

I'm not sure if I have figured out what makes people want to disconnect Sonic the Hedgehog from humans yet, it seems pretty arbitrary at the moment.

2 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

Man, this is why nobody likes us?

When this site closes down the Sonic fanbase will be a utopia then.

On 11/10/2019 at 1:18 PM, Splash the Otter said:

If I may ask, why is Eggman being a human a negative for you?

I want to understand where you're coming from a little better, because I'm just having trouble seeing why his humanity detracts from him in your eyes.

20 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

If I may ask, why is Eggman being a human a negative for you?

I want to understand where you're coming from a little better, because I'm just having trouble seeing why his humanity detracts from him in your eyes.

I could probably answer for him. The problem is literally because he isn't a furry.

20 minutes ago, Strong Guy said:

I could probably answer for him. The problem is literally because he isn't a furry.

I mean, if you wanna go for the lowhang, sure.

I just interpreted it as a logical extreme of the "There shouldn't be humans in Sonic" idea.

46 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I mean, if you wanna go for the lowhang, sure.

I just interpreted it as a logical extreme of the "There shouldn't be humans in Sonic" idea.

The illogical extreme...

It's just that one part of every fandom that dislikes things about the series that have been there from the beginning and acts like it was always out of place.

• Thumbs Up 1

At this point, I think it's best we move on from this particular post, since after a couple of days, it appears Splash is not interested in responding.  Also, no need to further dogpile since I don't think there's anything anyone can say that hasn't already been said.

On 11/10/2019 at 8:53 PM, StaticMania said:

I'm not sure if I have figured out what makes people want to disconnect Sonic the Hedgehog from humans yet, it seems pretty arbitrary at the moment.

I think to be honest it's a hang over from the old SEGA of America spawned Western Sonic canon. You have to remember that back then, most people didn't even realise that there was a plot outside of the Planet Mobius based Western version; the internet wasn't really a thing and thus the original Japanese plots simply weren't well known - I myself was a huge Sonic fan in the early to mid 90s and I had no clue then that such a thing even existed. The fact that pretty much every other Western Sonic continuity -animated, comic and print - had a variation of Mobius solidified this even more.

For people growing up in this context, their long-seated original experience of Sonic's plot was of him living on a fantastic other planet populated by animal people, with Eggman the only human due to him being an interloper from another dimension/planet, and so from their perspective, Sonic seemingly suddenly being based on Earth in Sonic Adventure was completely out of left field and akin to a soft reboot.

While the advent of the internet meant that most fans would discover the background behind it all and the fact that the Japanese plot was the original iteration of Sonic, there will still be those who simply preferred the old Western Sonic concept as that was the version of Sonic they grew up with, and are thus somewhat resistant to the Earth-based storylines.

I think one reason why people want to get rid of non Eggman humans is because most human characters that aren't Eggman are bland and uninteresting. Some of them are annoying too. Might I remind you of the absolute horror that was Chris Thorndyke,

Chris is a bad character since he's a transparent self-insert wish fulfillment character. Him being a human is at most a symptom of the problem. He'd hardly be better handled if he was a fox or something. Same goes for Elise.

Also, going from discussions on other boards Sam Speed and Topaz were both decently received.