Awoo.

Pac-Man's 40th Anniversary Info

Stephen Rodriguez

So if you follow Bandai Namco's social media (or you may have heard the news through other means), Pac-Man's 40th anniversary is coming up next year, and I'm sure Bamco has a lot of plans for it. So far they've kicked off the celebration with a music video and a revamped Pac-Man website, both of which you can find here. They are also doing some sort of Pac-Man/Tamagotchi crossover collab (Bandai owns Tamagotchi, btw), but further details on that aren't quite clear yet.

Interestingly though, someone who supposedly works for Bamco leaked some info on what new games are expected to be revealed next year. Give this a read if you'd like, but I'll go ahead and put what Anon posted here.

• PAC-MAN 2020 (working title) - A new maze game in the same vein as PAC-MAN Arrangement. Will feature level-specific power-ups, hazards, obstacles, and enemies. Will release Fall 2020 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and Steam.

• PAC-MAN: Ultimate Collection - A collection of various PAC-MAN games. Games included are:
PAC-MAN
Super PAC-MAN
PAC & PAL
PAC-LAND
PAC-MANIA
PAC-ATTACK
PAC-MAN 2: The New Adventures
PAC-IN-TIME
PAC-MAN Arrangement (1996)
PAC-MAN World
PAC-MAN World 2
PAC-MAN Vs. (Nintendo Switch exclusive)
PAC-MAN Arrangement (2005)
PAC-MAN: Championship Edition
PAC-MAN: Championship Edition DX
PAC-MAN Battle Royale

Will include online functionality. There are plans to include Ms. PAC-MAN, Jr. PAC-MAN, and Ms. PAC-MAN: Maze Madness in this collection, but legal issues with AtGames must be sorted out first. Will release Summer 2020 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and Steam.

• PAC-MAN: Championship Edition 2 PLUS will be released for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Steam as a free update. The update will also include new music tracks, all being a remixes of songs from past PAC-MAN games. This update will also be available for Nintendo Switch players. The songs listed are:
PAC-LAND
BLOCK TOWN
PAC-MAN’S PARK
FAR OUT
UNDER PRESSURE
CLEOPACTRA
PAC-VILLAGE
BLADE MOUNTAIN
PACERCHINI PANIC
Update will arrive later that same day.

• PAC-MAN Mazes - An update to the mobile version of Pac-Man, arriving June 1, 2020 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and Steam.

• PAC-MAN World 4 - The final game revealed, all that’s shown is a logo and a new 3D render of PAC-MAN. No footage or release date are shown. 

Pac-Man World 4 has got to be the one of the most commonly requested titles in the whole franchise, since I constantly see comments asking for it on almost every official Pac-Man social media post. The World games are mostly fondly remembered when brought up, most notably Pac-Man World 2, so with the right team to cross the platforming and maze aspects together in a way that makes the game fun to play, I think it would work out quite well.

Now, keep in mind that this was posted by anonymous user on the site, and he/she could just be posing as a Bamco employee, so just take this with a grain of salt. Although I do think it would be pretty nice if this leak did turn out to be real, since I am a Pac-Man fan. What are you thoughts on this? What do you think some of these games would be like if they were to actually happen? Let's discuss!

Feh, who cares about yet another dumb Pac Man collection with the exact same games as alwa-

>pac man world and pac man world 2 

...real shit?

Wasn’t there a similar leak regarding Final Fantasy’s 30th anniversary that also stated an ultimate collection of most of the games would come that year? And it turned out to be total baloney?

Yeah, I’m gonna take this with a grain of salt, especially since it’s coming from 4chan of all places. Like, was there any leak from there that was actually turned out true? Seriously.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly they could release the World games as a standalone collection on their own and that would be enough reason for me to want it.  I never did play 3, though.

Just now, Tara said:

Honestly they could release the World games as a standalone collection on their own and that would be enough reason for me to want it.  I never did play 3, though.

A remaster of the entire World trilogy doesn't seem likely at all, mainly because unlike the first two games, which were developed in house by Namco America, World 3 was developed by Blitz Games, which has been dead since 2014. Unless Bandai Namco remakes the whole game from the ground up, I don't think I see any chance of it getting re-released.

This sounds way too good to be true.

I mean, I'd be down, but when Pac turned 30, we got the Google Logo thingie, a cheap party game and Championship Edition (which is really good, to be fair), but the 40th is so much more important that we get a collection with the World games, console ports, and updates and a brand new maze game AND World 4, of all things? All of this happening seems like a pipedream.

A wonderful pipedream I'd absolutely love, but a pipedream non the less.

Pac-In-Time and the first two Pac-Man Worlds? Now, that's a collection I'm interested.

That said, I don't buy any of this. This person has too much very specific information on something over half a year away.

I expect one game thrown out for the anniversary and a bunch of merch.

Also, World 1 and 2 being there and them developing Pac-Man World 4, while World 3 is just missing makes no sense.

2 hours ago, Stephen Rodriguez said:

A remaster of the entire World trilogy doesn't seem likely at all, mainly because unlike the first two games, which were developed in house by Namco America, World 3 was developed by Blitz Games, which has been dead since 2014. Unless Bandai Namco remakes the whole game from the ground up, I don't think I see any chance of it getting re-released.

Who the developer is or that they're dead now doesn't matter. They still own the game and its code. Unless they screwed up and lost all the source code, like with so many 90s and early 2000s games.

I'd get it if they wanted to ignore it, but then why call the new one 4? Personally I've only played 2, so I'd like to try it out.

I don't trust it, especially the new game part but I want it so bad.

Anyway, Pac-Man feels like group of friends, in this case videogame characters, who get old together, and now Pac-Man is the oldest of the bunch basically.

3 hours ago, Marcello said:

Also, World 1 and 2 being there and them developing Pac-Man World 4, while World 3 is just missing makes no sense.

I mean, you’re not wrong, but that’s something Namco Bandai would totally do. Back in 2012, they had rereleased both Dragon Ball Budokai 1 and 3 together on HD consoles, but not 2, likely because of that game’s unpopularity. They’re totally willing to exclude a game in a franchise if it’s seen like that ugly uncle nobody likes talking about.

And honestly, I wouldn’t blame them. World 3 was absolutely dreadful. I think I spent more time on it than I should have, because I did not enjoy a single minute of that attempted playthrough, lol.

Pac-Man World was one of my favorite PSOne games period. But damn, it was hard as shit for me back then. I remember vividly how euphoric I was after beating King Galaxian... and even more euphoric after finding out that there were 3 MORE WORLDS TO PLAY.

Never played W2, and only played like half an hour of W3, hated it.

The classic Pac-Man games? Eh. They're classics, right? But I always liked World 1. I didn't even cared for the Championship Editions and what not. My game is 3D platformers.

As for the rumoured collection and World 4... Neat if true! I'll probably get at some point. A remake of the World games would've been better tho'.