Awoo.

Scoob! - CG Animated Theatrical Movie - 2020

Ryannumber1gamer

The first full-length animated Scooby-Doo adventure for the big screen is the never-before told stories of Scooby-Doo’s origins and the greatest mystery in the career of Mystery Inc.  
“SCOOB!” reveals how lifelong friends Scooby and Shaggy first met and how they joined with young detectives Fred, Velma and Daphne to form the famous Mystery Inc. Now, with hundreds of cases solved and adventures shared, Scooby and the gang face their biggest, most challenging mystery ever: a plot to unleash the ghost dog Cerberus upon the world.  As they race to stop this global “dogpocalypse,” the gang discovers that Scooby has a secret legacy and an epic destiny greater than anyone imagined.

Starring in “SCOOB!” are Kiersey Clemons (“Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising,” TV’s “Angie Tribeca”) as Dee Dee; Zac Efron (“The Greatest Showman,” the “Neighbors” franchise) as Fred; Will Forte (“Booksmart,” TV’s “The Last Man on Earth”) as Scooby-Doo’s best friend, Shaggy; Jason Isaacs (the “Harry Potter” films, TV’s “The OA”) as the infamous Dick Dastardly; Ken Jeong (“Crazy Rich Asians,” “The Hangover” trilogy) as Dynomutt; Tracy Morgan (“What Men Want,” TV’s “30 Rock”) as Captain Caveman; Gina Rodriguez (“Deepwater Horizon,” TV’s “Jane the Virgin”) as Velma; Amanda Seyfried (the “Mamma Mia!” films, “Ted 2”) as Daphne; two-time Oscar nominee Mark Wahlberg (“The Fighter,” “The Departed”) as Blue Falcon; and Frank Welker (the “Transformers” franchise) as Scooby-Doo.
“SCOOB!” is directed by Tony Cervone, Annie Award nominee for the feature “Space Jam” and two-time Emmy nominee for his work on “Duck Dodgers.”  
Set for a May 15, 2020 release, the film will be distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures.

Wasn't sure if there was a topic for this already, but searches only showed ones for Return to Zombie Island and Be Cool retrospectively.

Scoob - as announced last year - is the first CG animated movie releasing in theatres for the series, and is the first time in over 10 years where Scooby and the gang will be hitting the big screen. A rather big surprise is the reveal that this movie is not only a Scooby movie, but a full on Hanna-Barbera crossover movie, with Dick Dastardly as the villain of the movie, and other characters such as Blue Falcon, Captain Caveman, and Dynomutt appearing.

The bigger surprise is a mention of Dee Dee, which the only character off the top of my head related to Hanna-Barbera with that name being Dee Dee from Dexter's Lab, meaning we could possibly see other characters from later shows. 

As for me personally, I'm excited for it. I'm a longtime Scooby fan, and the animation is super charming, and there were a few good lines in the trailer. The biggest turn off right now is easily Shaggy's voice, which not only did WB screw Matthew Lillard hard on, but the new VA just sounds like a pale imitation in general. But yeah, it's looking good so far IMO.

• Thumbs Up 2

40 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

The bigger surprise is a mention of Dee Dee, which the only character off the top of my head related to Hanna-Barbera with that name being Dee Dee from Dexter's Lab, meaning we could possibly see other characters from later shows. 

While I do see where you’re coming from with this, I should mention that there’s another Hanna Barbera character also known as Dee-Dee in Captain Caveman and The Teen Angels, and considering the titular character in that show has been confirmed to be featured in the film, it’s most likely to be her rather than the Dexter’s Lab character.

465983B4-F839-4247-8624-561934490186.png.f5895cac3f32262d2cc7450dea85d146.png

And yeah, the film does look pretty good so far. I really like how it seems to be big  celebration of not just the franchise, but Hanna Barbera in general, like with the homage to A Pup Named Scooby Doo, and the inclusion of their other characters. (Too bad we didn’t get to see them in the trailer.) I can not get behind Shaggy’s voice, though. Will Forte really doesn’t sound right as Shaggy, if you ask me. Can’t really comment on Fred, Daphne, and Velma’s voices though, since they didn’t say a lot in the trailer, but they don’t seem too bad so far. Overall, I’m not exactly super excited for the film, but I’ll still be giving it a watch.

• Thumbs Up 2

Huh, live and learn, I’m not too familiar with the Scooby clones, so I didn’t know about the casts of shows like Caveman and such.

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Now, with hundreds of cases solved and adventures shared, Scooby and the gang face their biggest, most challenging mystery ever: a plot to unleash the ghost dog Cerberus upon the world.  As they race to stop this global “dogpocalypse,” the gang discovers that Scooby has a secret legacy and an epic destiny greater than anyone imagined.

Okay, I actually missed this part when making my video on the subject. So it appears their going beyond the typical solving mysteries (okay, there IS a mystery) with people behind masks. Instead having a villain (Dastardly), Not behind a mask, basically known throughout the film (assumingly). But with an actual monster in it. Now, why am I getting a Mystery Incorporated feeling from that last part about Scooby's legacy & destiny?

Overall, I really enjoyed the trailer. The film definitely looks like a lot of fun and funny (more than the recent DTV films & show actually), as usual with the Scooby franchise. So I'm definitely going to see it, but I've never been this excited for a Scooby film. Far more than Return to Zombie Island, which I heard wasn't very good.

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

“SCOOB!” is directed by Tony Cervone, Annie Award nominee for the feature “Space Jam” and two-time Emmy nominee for his work on “Duck Dodgers.

Directed by the guy who did Duck Dodgers!? Oh boy, I really enjoyed Duck Dodgers and to hear this. That's great news to me!

I'm sort of meh on it.  It looks all right; not hugely offensive.  But I don't really care for the voice cast.  This is particularly jarring since Scooby's voice is more or less as it's always been, but is a lot more vocal.  When he delivers like... extremely coherent sentences with that kind of delivery, it only highlights how out of place it seems.

It looks like it could have some cute moments, though.  Particularly, I'm always a sucker for origin stories surrounding Shaggy and Scooby meeting for the first time.  And I loved A Pup Named Scooby Doo and all its stupid, late 80's nonsense, so if we have segments that are in a similar vein, I'm all for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I personally don't have a huge issue with Scooby's voice, if only because Mystery Incorporated tackled it first and did it fairly well. Out of the main cast, I do think Fred, Daphne and Scooby have the best deliveries, while Velma didn't get much at all, and Shaggy is easily the worst out of them.

For me, it's getting by really hard on charm factor. The meeting of Shaggy/Scooby, even if different from previous versions have a lot of heart, and same as Tara, I'm a massive sucker for these kind of stories. Personally, I even liked how the original live action movie handled Shaggy and Scooby's friendship of sticking together no matter what, and the sequel's version of the two feeling like constant screw ups, so seeing that focused on here with really good animation, which is very clearly based on Pup's designs for Scooby/Shaggy at least is really charming.

• 3 months later...

New trailer including the reveal of Dick Dastardly and Blue Falcon.

• 2 months later...

So, from what I've heard, this movie turned out to be quite flawed, to say the least.

15 minutes ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

So, from what I've heard, this movie turned out to be quite flawed, to say the least.

Yes.

I just watched it. It's... not "terrible", but near it. The movie is 40% cliche, 25% nonsense, 25% desperate attempt at multi crossover and 10% celebrity voices. (Maybe squeeze 5% of "harry potter' references and "don't check my browsing history" adult humor)>

You want a Scooby Movie? Well there is no mystery to solve or monster to unmask. Don't get me wrong, they putted "meddling kids" and stuff, because someone held checklist they filled with no emotions.  And team is just... flat. Watch episode of "Myster Inc" or "Be cool Scooby", shorter and more fulfilling.

You want a epic crossover? You got Scoob and 3 more. Captain Caveman is shoehorn for one scene. Dick Dasterdly  is... fine I guess? A bit generic, but he is THE mustached villain and his plan actually surprised me. And real Blue Falcon retired, we're stuck with his obnoxious son. Meh.

Good story? HA! Plot is stupidly complicated but "arc" can be summed up as  Scooby and Shaggy gets into argument for trivial things, Scoob needs saving and eveything forgiven. Again, some 20 minute episodes do it better.

I would say animation is good, but not really. They recreated original intro in 2020 HD CGI  with movie budget and it looks worse than 70s cartoon. (don't have better version).

I don't consider myself Scooby fanboy, but I seen few shows and this is "eeeh". You wanna see good Scooby? He's your guide

• Thumbs Up 1