Awoo.

Which former character voices do you miss the most?

batson

So far I've heard complaints that Karen Strassman's Rouge sounds too old and complaints that she sounds too young. I'll only agree to her sounding weird in TSR but everything else she's been in, she's nailed as far as I'm concerned.

Also, interesting how there are some people out there who still refer to Roger as "new" sometimes. As of next year he'll have been the voice of Sonic for 10 years.

I can not understate how great he sounds on TV as well as how natural his acting talent is. Still, all that might not mean anything if you're not down for the voice. I am though.

I really don't mind our current cast at all. I can't say I miss any of the 4kids VAs since we have the best one still around. Even the ones that weren't bad, I felt got suitable replacements.

6 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Clearly not, but I'm assuming that list of characters is meant to be his range.

Which is also what I was saying.

Well then, apologies if I did not convey that message clearly enough. I still don't really understand how, knowing that Smith voiced several dozen different characters throughout his life and taking this incredibly wide range into account, not to mention how I did not include the words "and nothing/nobody else" in my previous claim, that you could have interpreted what I said in the way you did. But communication via an online forum never has a 100% guarantee of the recipient understanding what you mean in full, so whatevs. My bad, your bad, idk

Also you mentioning Regular Show in the first place, you did not even consider whether or not I even enjoyed his performance in said show when I wrote my previous post lol. I do btw 😄

Jason Griffith and Ryan Drummond hands down. (They are both equally good in their own way). Roger might be a good actor in other games but I just can't stand his voice as Sonic. I think the reason a lot of people still refer to him as new is because even after ten years they haven't gotten used to him yet. I remember when I first got Colors as a kid I actually thought it was a bootleg version because of Sonic's voice. I don't think there is any other case where an animated character's voice was changed so suddenly and so drastically. When other series have a major casting change like this its usually following a large hiatus or a reboot of some kind. 2009 was full time Jason Sonic then suddenly its Roger Sonic the following year. It baffles me because Black Knight was one of Jason's best performance wise. All the other voices in the new cast you can at least tell are TRYING to sound like their old voices. I think part of the problem is that the predominantly Japanese speaking Sonic Team just doesn't really give a shit about the english voice acting.

This is a very interesting question. For me it's several.

Sonic: While I definitely prefer Jason Griffith's take on the character out of all the other voices Sonic's had. I'm Not saying Roger does a bad job though, seeing as he's improved on Sonic's voice since Boom began. And Schwartz, does a good job voicing him as well. It's just Griffith fit the character so well.

Shadow: About the same reason, Griffith did an excellent job voicing Shadow as well. Unfortunately, Shadow started appearing in less games after 2006, aside from Riders, Rivals & Black Knight. Not saying Kirk doesn't do a good Shadow, but starting out he didn't particularly sound like Shadow until either Lego Dimensions or Sonic Boom's S2 finale (again, Boom improving the current cast) then Forces. Still, I don't think anyone else can compare to Griffith's Shadow.

Eggman: Sorry, I've only preferred Mike Pollock as Eggman. Who's actually still voicing him, aside from the film of course.

Silver: Well this one's slightly more tricky. I do enjoy Pete Capella's portrayal of the character, but I do prefer Quinton Flynn's better. Especially in Forces, where he sounds much better than 2006. Don't even get me started on the TSR voice, okay, That's Not Silver! Who approved that!?

Blaze: I understand that Blaze has had 3-different English VA's, but Bella Hudson (2006) & Erica Lindbeck (TSR) both sound very similar for Blaze & do the best job with the character. While Laura Baily (Generations), doesn't quite sound like the other 2.

Knuckles: I really enjoyed Dan Green's take on the character, as he kind of fits that serious yet gullible personality without venturing too far in Lost World or Boom's direction with Travis Willingham (who does a good job with Knuckles, even in Forces). But his VA in TSR, sort of in the same serious/gullible type of vein, but needs improving.

On 11/15/2019 at 7:01 AM, skull902 said:

If there are two (English-speaking) actors past or present who matched their voices to the characters perfectly imo, it's gotta be Lisa Ortiz as Amy and Jason Griffith as Shadow. While it took Jason some time to evolve his Shadow voice from "evil-sounding Sonic" into its own thing, I think he adapted quicker to the role and had slightly more of an emotional range as Shadow than he did with Sonic (who he also eventually became great at voicing), even if most of the time he was voiced by Griffith he was brooding, or angry to some degree. Those rare moments he wasn't were a good showcase of Jason's skills. Meanwhile, Lisa had a fantastic interpretation from the very beginning and not only was the voice very fitting for the character, she knew just how to change it up in order to make her effectively sound sweet, joyful, friendly, sad, upset, etc. when it was called for. I'm not a fan of Amy's writing in most of X but when she was bossy or rude with others, she at the very least had an actor who had the ability to work with that.

Honorable mentions would be Ryan Drummond, who was my favorite Sonic for his energy and extremely fitting voice, Scott Drier and Travis Willingham as Knuckles; the former because his voice just sounds so chill and while he was kinda flat in SA2, he showed some good range in Heroes, and the latter because of just how well he could make the comedic stuff work, and he fit in perfectly with the more lighthearted stories he was in. From the time I heard him ask "Did you gain weight?" I knew I was gonna love this guy as Knuckles. Deem Bristow as Eggman deserves a special shout-out too for being able to sound both bombastic at times and pretty intimidating in others. Also David Willis as Espio...no particular reason other than he sounded really fucking cool.

And that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Agreed, Lisa Ortiz was a great fit for Amy and Jason was great as Sonic. In fact, all the 4Kids Sonic X cast were very much suited to their roles.

• 1 month later...

This is so obvious that I'm surprised nobody has said it yet: Jaleel White.  Not necessarily the best Sonic, but to me he's the quintessential Sonic.  Whether accidental or not, his nasally voice felt right for a giant talking rodent, and he also got the cockiness down.  Every Sonic actor since has taken inspiration from that, except Smith--he gets the cocky side spot-on, but he sounds too human.

I wouldn't want him to replace the current voice actor as Modern Sonic, but I'm not on board with Classic Sonic being mute, at least not in games where he interacts with the modern cast, and if he's going to keep coming back, I want Jaleel White back to voice him.  

To SEGA: I'm waiiiiiiiiiitiiiiiiiiiiing!

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

This is so obvious that I'm surprised nobody has said it yet: Jaleel White.  Not necessarily the best Sonic, but to me he's the quintessential Sonic.  Whether accidental or not, his nasally voice felt right for a giant talking rodent, and he also got the cockiness down.  Every Sonic actor since has taken inspiration from that, except Smith--he gets the cocky side spot-on, but he sounds too human.

I wouldn't want him to replace the current voice actor as Modern Sonic, but I'm not on board with Classic Sonic being mute, at least not in games where he interacts with the modern cast, and if he's going to keep coming back, I wang Jaleel White back to voice him.  

To SEGA: I'm waiiiiiiiiiitiiiiiiiiiiing!

Oh, if Sega could get Jaleel White to voice Classic Sonic, that would be amazing. I like that’s idea.

On a related note to that, I’ll miss hearing Long John Baldry’s (rip) take on Robotnik. His voice was totally unique, and although I’ve really liked some of the newer Eggman voice actors, Baldry sort of defined the character for me at an impressionable young age, and I just have a lot of nostalgia for that version of the character lol.

I'd probably say Jason Griffith as Sonic and Shadow; if not just for the significant improvement he had by the end of his tenure. I always thought he sounded really awkward as them at first, especially after he started doing the games in 2005. But by 2008 and Unleashed, he nailed it so fantastically. Especially when he was able to do Sonic's werehog form despite him having a different actor in JP.  And then Black Knight just continued his amazing run, but it was sadly the last time he'd be voicing the series. But still, he went out on a pretty high note and I still consider his performance as Sonic in Black Knight the best vocal performance Sonic has had to date just for the variety of emotions conveyed in that game.