Awoo.

Sonic X Netflix UK

Eurisko

Just a heads up , Sonic X will be coming to Netflix in the UK on December 1st.

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere on here but as the search function is currently down.......well I’m excited anyway. 

DDF31356-F374-4C94-BE51-A5439E2C94C5.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Seriously? After I just decided to keep my Amazon Prime membership open to watch it?

Eh. At least I’ll be able to watch season 3. I hope.

Absolutely fantastic news - this is the first time the UK will be officially able to watch the full series (assuming they add the whole show) since the original debut, bar the TMS uploads on YT. If news is to be believed, the US will be getting it too.

To give some context, the UK has gotten absolutely screwed with X releases from the beginning. Distribution rights were given to Warner Bros in the beginning, who only released four DVDs, each DVD having an absolutely pathetic 2 episodes per disc. With four volumes, that means the UK in terms of releases have gotten up to Episode 8 and that's it. There is box art floating of a supposed Volume 5 that would've included Episode 9 and 10, but it was never released.

After Jetix became defunct and turned into Disney XD, Sonic X hasn't been on UK TVs since, with Underground managing to outlast it up to 2014. Even the recent blu-ray releases in the US haven't made their way over here and are stupidly expensive to import, and that's assuming it's region-free to begin with.

Amazon have only very recently gotten ahold of the show. In 2018, they only had the first eight episodes (similar to the original UK DVD releases) for free on Prime, or to buy, and then somehow got ahold of both Season 1 and 2 to add to Prime as well, so things have made slow progress. It still remains to be seen if this will have Season 3 or not yet, which Amazon UK still lists as having rights issues with the publisher.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Noodle Panda said:

@Ryannumber1gamer not quite. As I just said, you can also get it on Amazon Prime.

I said that:

11 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Amazon have only very recently gotten ahold of the show. In 2018, they only had the first eight episodes (similar to the original UK DVD releases) for free on Prime, or to buy, and then somehow got ahold of both Season 1 and 2 to add to Prime as well, so things have made slow progress. It still remains to be seen if this will have Season 3 or not yet, which Amazon UK still lists as having rights issues with the publisher.

Is there a link for the show coming to the UK Netflix? I've tried looking and only see articles about it coming to the US.

Is there any way to see which languages it will be released in?

It will be on Romania's Netflix as well starting December 1st and I wonder if a dub might happen since when we got the show here they only aired the first 15 episodes and then just stopped.

23 minutes ago, DiamondX said:

Is there any way to see which languages it will be released in?

It will be on Romania's Netflix as well starting December 1st and I wonder if a dub might happen since when we got the show here they only aired the first 15 episodes and then just stopped.

Knowing Netflix, likely English and Japanese with subs.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Joy said:

Is there a link for the show coming to the UK Netflix? I've tried looking and only see articles about it coming to the US.

Not got a link but here’s a screenshot of the listing. 

2944A03C-A53E-4A49-B610-DB57C8238C4E.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Knowing Netflix, likely English and Japanese with subs.

I highly doubt the latter. Don’t think other 4kids shows on Netflix have that luxury(?)

• Thumbs Up 1

I’d hope for some improvements, like offering all available dubs as a language option and restoring the original openings and endings, but let’s be real here: the 4kids curse won’t freakin’ leave this anime. English is all we’re getting, and all the awkwardness with it, just on Netflix instead of Amazon Prime.

Who am I to say, anyways? I don’t know if it’s coming to Australian Netflix.

It's unlikely to be both English and Japanese because of all the edits made to the English version. They would need separate videos for both versions or it would result in inconsistencies in one or the other.

I don't know if Netflix has ever bothered doing that but I imagine it's unlikely they would. It's almost certainly just going to be the English version

• Thumbs Up 2

50 minutes ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

At best it'll be the new blu-ray rips... which are just the old DVD rips.

The recent Bluray transfer is taken from the original masters. It's still standard definition but it's better than the old copies.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because of the era it was made, a proper HD remaster of Sonic X would be complicated to do - many anime from this time period have similar problems due to the then recent switch to digital coloring. Given the extra layer on top of that being that the dub is edited to change or delete some footage, and it's really not worth it unless TMS sunk the money into doing the remaster themselves. Discotek might have attempted to recut the footage to match the dub had such a remaster existed, though they probably wouldn't have been able to retain 4Kids's visual edits... for those that would care about that.

Not that it couldn't be done, Sunrise for example remastered Gundam Seed which was produced about the same time, but it's difficult to say if TMS would consider it worth the time and financial investment.

I highly doubt the Japanese/subbed version will be included. Oh well, I guess it will be good news to people interested in watching the dubbed version for whatever reason. Its a shame though because the dub doesn't really do justice to the original in a lot of cases and I think a lot of people walk away from it because of that. 

8 hours ago, Sean said:

The recent Bluray transfer is taken from the original masters. It's still standard definition but it's better than the old copies.

Is it!? I did not know that. I thought it was DVD clips due to that message they have on the box!

Yeah there's more details on Brady Hartel's Twitter. Here's a thread that breaks down what the BD release contains:

Needless to say, it's the most high quality release of the dub out there. And judging by his posts on Sonic Retro, he definitely shares other fans' interest in getting the Japanese subtitled version out there someday, though there's no promises regarding it.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

The show is available to me already due to timezones.

Only dubs available are english, spanish and german.

Kind of a shame. Expected japanese to ba an option at least.

Interesting that it's been divided up into four seasons (or "sagas"). Agreed with @DiamondX The lack of Japanese is a swizz. Still cool that all episodes are up though.

To me, this is the best Sonic series. It's cool that it may find a new audience through Netflix.

• Thumbs Up 1

It’s finally on the US Netflix, but for some reason, only the first two seasons are included, split into four different seasons like Dr Ryan said. The third season is nowhere in sight. Wonder what that’s all about. 

They also label each episode by their episode count (ex. Episode 1, Episode 4) instead of their actual titles, which is just... bizarre. I can’t really recall any other show Netflix did that with.

23 minutes ago, Menace2Society said:

It’s finally on the US Netflix, but for some reason, only the first two seasons are included, split into four different seasons like Dr Ryan said. The third season is nowhere in sight. Wonder what that’s all about. 

They also label each episode by their episode count (ex. Episode 1, Episode 4) instead of their actual titles, which is just... bizarre. I can’t really recall any other show Netflix did that with.

The seasons have been separated how the original home releases in the US organised them. There, the episodes were laid out as - 

New World Saga: Chaos Control Freaks to Beating Eggman Part 2 (Ep 1 to 13)

Chaos Emerald Saga: That’s What Friends Are For to Countdown to Chaos (Ep 14 to 26)

Chaos/Shadow Saga: Pure Chaos to Showdown in Space (Ep 27 to 38)

Egg Moon, Sonic Battle!, and Homeward Bound: Defective Detectives to Friends til the End (Ep 39 to 52). 

These are how the sagas have always been laid out since the US home release IIRC, Season 3 is then just generally referred to as The Metarex Saga, comprising the whole season.