Awoo.

Sonic X Netflix UK

Eurisko

I’ve just had a check and I too thought that how they’ve divided up into four seasons is odd. But hey, just glad to see it on here. 

Also in Japan the first 52 episodes count as one season due to how seasons work over there. Our season 3 is their season 2 (which they'll be getting on TV for the first time early next year)

My mind sticks with referring to Sonic X as having three seasons total since the divide between them is more clear than the two-season Japanese format and easier to remember than the dub's home video arc separation.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, thinking back I realise of course we weren't gonna get the Japanese dub. They're not straight re-dubs. Scenes are chopped around and edited differently so it wouldn't work.

I skimmed the episode list just to look at the thumbnails.

We have a grand total of 12 thumbnails that are not focused on the original characters.

Outside that there are a total of six focusing on actual game characters (usually Sonic, Tails, and/or Eggman), five environmental shots, all but one of them rather non-descript (random establishing shot of the Thorndyke mansion, great big ocean with a tiny little island off to the side) and, hilariously, one that is a literal white screen, with a slight gradient effect, implying they just randomly took a screencap from a scene that had a white flash.

Some of the thumbnails seem to be incorrectly placed too. One of the episodes from the second saga (ep14-26) uses a shot of Sonic that I’m 100% certain is from episode 7.

On 12/1/2019 at 1:00 PM, Sean said:

Also in Japan the first 52 episodes count as one season due to how seasons work over there. Our season 3 is their season 2 (which they'll be getting on TV for the first time early next year)

My mind sticks with referring to Sonic X as having three seasons total since the divide between them is more clear than the two-season Japanese format and easier to remember than the dub's home video arc separation.

The fact that its taken so long for the Japanese to get the Japanese version of the final Sonic X season *in Japan* astounds me. Its criminal even, as that was the best season. I take it that it is because of Sonic's low popularity in Japan, which is a shame really. Especially since the fans Sonic does have in Japan are some of the most dedicated ones out there.

4 hours ago, Mark_The_Dephiles said:

The fact that its taken so long for the Japanese to get the Japanese version of the final Sonic X season *in Japan* astounds me. Its criminal even, as that was the best season. I take it that it is because of Sonic's low popularity in Japan, which is a shame really. Especially since the fans Sonic does have in Japan are some of the most dedicated ones out there.

I don't recall the exact details, but I think it's something to do with X being more popular worldwide, as opposed to Japan. Sonic X originally was meant to only be the 52 episodes we originally got, with Friends to the End being the finale. Then it got renewed for Season 3 due to high popularity in the states. 

So you can take that to mean either low popularity in Japan, or possibly they couldn't be bothered putting the effort in to dub the final season.

10 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

I don't recall the exact details, but I think it's something to do with X being more popular worldwide, as opposed to Japan. Sonic X originally was meant to only be the 52 episodes we originally got, with Friends to the End being the finale. Then it got renewed for Season 3 due to high popularity in the states. 

So you can take that to mean either low popularity in Japan, or possibly they couldn't be bothered putting the effort in to dub the final season.

But Season 3 is already in Japanese, it just never got released in Japan....

Just now, Mark_The_Dephiles said:

But Season 3 is already in Japanese, it just never got released in Japan....

*Shrug* No idea why it wasn't released then if it was properly dubbed. Only explanation is low ratings and no one wanting to pick it up.

6 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

*Shrug* No idea why it wasn't released then if it was properly dubbed. Only explanation is low ratings and no one wanting to pick it up.

The final Season was shot in Japanese first just like the other seasons were. It is not dubbed. If you watch videos of it online though there are french subtitles underneath the added english ones.

Sonic's popularity in Japan is definitely on the rise though. When I first went there in 2014 Sonic was no where to be seen outside of Joypolis - believe me I looked haha. In my trips in subsequent years (and living there until recently) I saw more and more Sonic merch in stores and big turn out at annual events like Sonic's birthday in Joypolis and Akihabara. Maybe this is one of the reasons they've decided to give the anime another shot? Increased popularity?

Plus almost all the kids I used to teach knew who Sonic was.

Episodes 53-78 have been available in Japan for years through streaming and digital purchase forms; this will be the first time these episodes were televised in Japan though. The last 26 episodes were produced due to the popularity of the series internationally, so Japan never saw a reason to broadcast them given it was produced for that market. Even now, the episodes are airing as promotion for the new movie. If not for that they likely wouldn't be airing now.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Dr Ryan said:

Plus almost all the kids I used to teach knew who Sonic was.

Knowing who a character is doesn’t necessarily mean liking said character.

By that logic, Bubsy is very popular.

On 12/1/2019 at 10:44 PM, Panda Claus said:

I skimmed the episode list just to look at the thumbnails.

We have a grand total of 12 thumbnails that are not focused on the original characters.

Outside that there are a total of six focusing on actual game characters (usually Sonic, Tails, and/or Eggman), five environmental shots, all but one of them rather non-descript (random establishing shot of the Thorndyke mansion, great big ocean with a tiny little island off to the side) and, hilariously, one that is a literal white screen, with a slight gradient effect, implying they just randomly took a screencap from a scene that had a white flash.

Some of the thumbnails seem to be incorrectly placed too. One of the episodes from the second saga (ep14-26) uses a shot of Sonic that I’m 100% certain is from episode 7.

Surprisingly, it looks like Netflix saw this and fixed it. The thumbnails now prominently feature the Sonic cast, although some of them are mixed up (Episode 39 shows a screenshot from Episode 2 for example). 

• Thumbs Up 1

Does anyone know if there has ever even been a case of a Netflix show having more than one video file depending on the language setting?  It's telling that no French dub is available, which also uses the uncut Japanese footage, I admit I had a low hope that it would be included, but Netflix might work on a typical DVD-esque basis where audio settings all still HAVE to play over the same images, like, hard-coded (to allow for language switching mid-episode).

Shame if so, I'd gladly settle for the French dub over nothing, I just want that dang original soundtrack.

17 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Shame if so, I'd gladly settle for the French dub over nothing, I just want that dang original soundtrack.

I wouldn’t, since the French version made everything slightly faster and higher pitched because of the PAL conversion.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, here's a weird addition to the story - Season 3 got added to Prime Video while Netflix still only have Seasons 1 and 2.

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2019 at 11:57 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Surprisingly, it looks like Netflix saw this and fixed it. The thumbnails now prominently feature the Sonic cast, although some of them are mixed up (Episode 39 shows a screenshot from Episode 2 for example). 

And now they’ve changed them back again!

1 minute ago, Big Panda said:

And now they’ve changed them back again!

They all received a huge update. Netflix changed the entire thing to now properly show the episode titles and descriptions, and have them labelled as Season 1 and 2 instead of the previous saga design.