Noah Copeland

Sonic Triple Trouble 16-Bit (fan game with demo!)

I played this when it came out and I think it's a stellar effort so far. Of the four "main" 8bit Sonic platformers (I don't count G Sonic...) Triple Trouble was always my least favorite of the bunch because I always felt its ambition to be a Genesis-like Sonic game felt far too bloated for the Game Gear. So this kind of project really helps its themes and ideas shine through in a more suitable aesthetic imo. I really like that, similar to the Sonic Chaos remake, you're going for a reimagining of it rather than a straight remake.

The only issue I noticed when I played was that D-pad support was broken, but going by your posts on Retro that seems to have been fixed in a later patch I haven't tried yet. Don't really have any major complaints with it other than that, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Just tried it out, and I have to say, it's really good so far! Really liked that it continued right off the end of 3&K. Cutscenes and short story levels like that are something I think would benefit future classic style Sonic games. Level design was pretty good as well, definitely didn't feel "fan-gamey" at all, and the ability to just switch to Tails at any time is a neat idea. Wasn't the hugest fan of the bosses, but I mean, there's nothing really wrong with them. It's just that, outside of the final bosses, classic Sonic bosses  (and hell, Sonic bosses in general tbh) have always been hit or miss with me. Just be careful not to go too far with future boss battles like Mania did at points and they should be mostly fine.

Anyway, keep up the good work! 

Having trouble getting it to launch, unfortunately. Like I double-click the application and it just crashes my file explorer. Real unfortunate; it looked real good from the trailer.

3 hours ago, skull902 said:

Having trouble getting it to launch, unfortunately. Like I double-click the application and it just crashes my file explorer. Real unfortunate; it looked real good from the trailer.

Try right click and run as administrator.

Also check your anti virus isn't automatically killing it as a false positive like mine was.

19 hours ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

Try right click and run as administrator.

Also check your anti virus isn't automatically killing it as a false positive like mine was.

Nope, still not working.

Really enjoyed this, I'm a sucker for the little "cinematic" touches like the prologue, late title and credits over the first stage, love that stuff.

Beyond that it seems really well designed, one of those annoying compliments where I would love to sing more specific praises but it's just like... it feels like a Sonic game, you did it, lol.  Personally I slightly prefer the Sonic Chaos remake's CD/Mania-esque soundtrack quality, but that's just a personal taste thing, I can fully respect the decision to limit the soundtrack remake to 16-bit and going so strictly for that whole aesthetic. The audio and visuals both seem flawless in their execution so far.

Love how you've upgraded the bosses and the special stage, the surprise inclusion of

the Tornado mid-way through is a nice way to honour the original special stage 2/4 style

- though does make me curious if there are any plans to include the special stage 1/3/5 style anywhere else in the game (assuming you intend to keep the special stage gameplay consistent, which makes sense to me).

On 11/25/2019 at 3:49 AM, JezMM said:

Really enjoyed this, I'm a sucker for the little "cinematic" touches like the prologue, late title and credits over the first stage, love that stuff.

Beyond that it seems really well designed, one of those annoying compliments where I would love to sing more specific praises but it's just like... it feels like a Sonic game, you did it, lol.  Personally I slightly prefer the Sonic Chaos remake's CD/Mania-esque soundtrack quality, but that's just a personal taste thing, I can fully respect the decision to limit the soundtrack remake to 16-bit and going so strictly for that whole aesthetic. The audio and visuals both seem flawless in their execution so far.

Love how you've upgraded the bosses and the special stage, the surprise inclusion of

Reveal hidden contents

the Tornado mid-way through is a nice way to honour the original special stage 2/4 style

- though does make me curious if there are any plans to include the special stage 1/3/5 style anywhere else in the game (assuming you intend to keep the special stage gameplay consistent, which makes sense to me).

Thank you! I appreciate you being careful to not spoil that surprise. 

There is a plan for the 1/3/5 style of Special Stages but we are unsure if we will have time to implement it. We'll have to see how it pans out.