Awoo.

Sonic Triple Trouble 16-Bit (fan game out NOW!)

Noah N Copeland

I played this when it came out and I think it's a stellar effort so far. Of the four "main" 8bit Sonic platformers (I don't count G Sonic...) Triple Trouble was always my least favorite of the bunch because I always felt its ambition to be a Genesis-like Sonic game felt far too bloated for the Game Gear. So this kind of project really helps its themes and ideas shine through in a more suitable aesthetic imo. I really like that, similar to the Sonic Chaos remake, you're going for a reimagining of it rather than a straight remake.

The only issue I noticed when I played was that D-pad support was broken, but going by your posts on Retro that seems to have been fixed in a later patch I haven't tried yet. Don't really have any major complaints with it other than that, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Just tried it out, and I have to say, it's really good so far! Really liked that it continued right off the end of 3&K. Cutscenes and short story levels like that are something I think would benefit future classic style Sonic games. Level design was pretty good as well, definitely didn't feel "fan-gamey" at all, and the ability to just switch to Tails at any time is a neat idea. Wasn't the hugest fan of the bosses, but I mean, there's nothing really wrong with them. It's just that, outside of the final bosses, classic Sonic bosses  (and hell, Sonic bosses in general tbh) have always been hit or miss with me. Just be careful not to go too far with future boss battles like Mania did at points and they should be mostly fine.

Anyway, keep up the good work! 

Having trouble getting it to launch, unfortunately. Like I double-click the application and it just crashes my file explorer. Real unfortunate; it looked real good from the trailer.

3 hours ago, skull902 said:

Having trouble getting it to launch, unfortunately. Like I double-click the application and it just crashes my file explorer. Real unfortunate; it looked real good from the trailer.

Try right click and run as administrator.

Also check your anti virus isn't automatically killing it as a false positive like mine was.

19 hours ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

Try right click and run as administrator.

Also check your anti virus isn't automatically killing it as a false positive like mine was.

Nope, still not working.

Really enjoyed this, I'm a sucker for the little "cinematic" touches like the prologue, late title and credits over the first stage, love that stuff.

Beyond that it seems really well designed, one of those annoying compliments where I would love to sing more specific praises but it's just like... it feels like a Sonic game, you did it, lol.  Personally I slightly prefer the Sonic Chaos remake's CD/Mania-esque soundtrack quality, but that's just a personal taste thing, I can fully respect the decision to limit the soundtrack remake to 16-bit and going so strictly for that whole aesthetic. The audio and visuals both seem flawless in their execution so far.

Love how you've upgraded the bosses and the special stage, the surprise inclusion of

the Tornado mid-way through is a nice way to honour the original special stage 2/4 style

- though does make me curious if there are any plans to include the special stage 1/3/5 style anywhere else in the game (assuming you intend to keep the special stage gameplay consistent, which makes sense to me).

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 3:49 AM, JezMM said:

Really enjoyed this, I'm a sucker for the little "cinematic" touches like the prologue, late title and credits over the first stage, love that stuff.

Beyond that it seems really well designed, one of those annoying compliments where I would love to sing more specific praises but it's just like... it feels like a Sonic game, you did it, lol.  Personally I slightly prefer the Sonic Chaos remake's CD/Mania-esque soundtrack quality, but that's just a personal taste thing, I can fully respect the decision to limit the soundtrack remake to 16-bit and going so strictly for that whole aesthetic. The audio and visuals both seem flawless in their execution so far.

Love how you've upgraded the bosses and the special stage, the surprise inclusion of

Reveal hidden contents

the Tornado mid-way through is a nice way to honour the original special stage 2/4 style

- though does make me curious if there are any plans to include the special stage 1/3/5 style anywhere else in the game (assuming you intend to keep the special stage gameplay consistent, which makes sense to me).

Thank you! I appreciate you being careful to not spoil that surprise. 

There is a plan for the 1/3/5 style of Special Stages but we are unsure if we will have time to implement it. We'll have to see how it pans out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

Wanted to give this topic a bump to showcase the new Zone a bit early! 

Really loving how this is shaping up. That seamless zone transition is really, really awesome, and a Knuckles fight that'll actually give me a challenge is a nice change of pace.

• Thumbs Up 2

Between this and the Sonic Chaos 16-bit remake, it's a good time to be a Game Gear Sonic fan.

Now someone get to remaking the Game Gear version of Sonic 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is amazing. One of my favorite fan games from the last SAGE is getting even better. I like how you can spin on the mine carts to gain speed, that's really creative. The pixel art is also really nice.

• Thumbs Up 1

• The title was changed to Sonic Triple Trouble 16-Bit (fan game on 8/2/2022!)

We have a release date muh dudes! 

Sonic Triple Trouble 16-bit is currently finishing up bugfixing and art, and will release on Aug 2nd! 

For PC and Android. At launch, he game will feature multiple language support including English, French, Ukrainian, Russian, Spanish, and Brazil Portuguese!

• Thumbs Up 5

Seriously hyped for this, I'm really glad you've been able to see this fangame to completion and it looks to be one of the best ones yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

This feels like a genuine quality release and I can't tell how many times I've smiled, laughed, ooh'd and aww'd at the game so far. Got the Chaos Emeralds and made it to Atomic Destroyer before having to close the game to get ready for bed. I was able to output the game onto our large TV and play with the 8bitdo M30 controller and it feels like I'm really playing a Sega Genesis game that they forgot to release.

Will post complete impressions tomorrow or the day after once I've beaten the game in full and had time to mess around some more. So far it's a winner, and easily the best 2D fangame I've played. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Shit's awesome yo.

Congrats to Noah and everyone involved for Triple Trouble's release. Had a lot of fun with it and I'll definitely be playing it again.

Did an all emeralds run with Sonic and Tails. Absolutely wonderful! Level design is top notch, on par with 3&K and Mania I'd say. Graphics and music are all perfect as well. Bosses are good, and special stages are great too. Don't really have many complaints really. Well, I have one.... where's the insta-shield? Was genuinely surprised not to see it. I mean, I love the drop dash, but no insta-shield is definitely a bother.

Did a full playthrough of the latest version on my channel. I ran into some funny bugs, mainly in the last two zones. Also had a blast and will return to it soon! So many times i was wowed by what i was seeing, playing and hearing. Hats off! If i have any nitpicks, the bubbleshield being locked when you’re going down makes it not fun to use in my opinion. Also, none of my controllers worked properly natively. I played through the whole game jumping with the shoulder button on an old generic gamepad

• The title was changed to Sonic Triple Trouble 16-Bit (fan game out NOW!)

Finished a Sonic/Tails playthrough over the course of today.  I normally never play fangames, but I really admire the effort of remaking one of the lower-tech classics like this, and the vibe was so authentic to the Genesis games and Mania.  I had a blast; looking forward to playing through with some of the other options!

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, damn, this was fantastic, really lived up to the expectations from the demo those years back.

I agree with what people were talking about with regards to the original ideas and surprises included all being very smile-worthy and fun.  It's really charming stuff.  Notable ones that give me a smile were:

Spoiler

The comedic ending for the Sunset Park Train boss, the snake jars in Meta Jungrila, the 3D snowboarding section in Robotnik Winter, and the various antics of Nack in the Atomic Destroyer Zone.

Didn't have any glitches until AFTER the campaign.  Trying out the secret character in Free Play on Turquoise Hill 1 dumped me halfway through the stage with 49 seconds on the clock, stuck in a wall, and upon escaping I saw item boxes pre-smashed along the way through the rest of the level, very strange.  After that I tried out the "Campaign" mode in Competition but the game just stopped on the first text box of dialogue, nothing would make it advance.  The select button was still resizing the window so I don't think my controller input had failed (like I accidentally hit a keyboard key and switched to that etc).  The only TINY glitch I suffered on the main story is that the bubbles flying by in the background appear outside the 4:3 border after a failed special stage on the retry screen.

But yeah, really fantastic stuff.  The original ideas all felt fantastic and well executed 90% of the time.  That remaining 10% consists of like... 8% "eh this isn't that fun really" (the infamous elevator section) too, which is like, solid.  I'd say only 2% was that feeling of "I don't think an official product would do this", which is an important factor in remake projects like this that clearly intend to feel like an official product.

Maybe it was luck, but I found Special Stage 3 very hard, requiring multiple attempts, whereas the others, while challenging for sure, I managed to beat on the first try.  Maybe 3 was a bit of a difficulty spike that just enforced some training that saw me through the others!  The ability to spend a life to retry is great.

Beyond just a couple of slightly unfun sections, my only critique would be a FEW instances of slightly basic looking spritework that didn't feel in line with the rest (one that comes to mind is the sparking wires in Tidal Plant 2), and the fact that despite their best efforts... man Triple Trouble just has a kind of lame soundtrack and the re-arrangements here, while masterfully produced - really feels like genuine Mega Drive music - doesn't do much to solve that for my personal tastes.  Some stand-out exceptions though - Tidal Plant 2 was a really interesting take on the song, and Atomic Destroyer 2 was a fantastic final stage theme (although AD wasn't too bad to begin with - it's mainly Great Turquoise, Sunset Park, Meta Jungrila, Tidal Plant (1) and the original Final Boss theme that I found boring songs to begin with and still find them boring here).  I really like how Atomic Destroyer 2 and the regular boss theme expanded on the originals with extra sections, and it's a shame some of the songs I didn't care for before didn't salvage themselves in a similar way.  But I hold the musicians no ill-will about that, it's a matter of personal taste, I cannot fault the craft gone into these re-arrangements at all.

I do think I'll be revisiting this, especially since (post-game unlockable spoilers)

Spoiler

Knuckles seems to have his own story mode!

• Thumbs Up 4

I have to report an unfortunate bug: Earlier today, whilst playing on the unlockable story mode, I reached the start of Tidal Plant after playing the secret zone, and saved and quit.  (Trying to be very clear on the circumstances whilst also not spoiling anything.)  Just now, when I turned the game on again, my save put me in Great Turquoise Act 1.  Up until now I've had no other issues with saving/reloading, with that character or any other, but losing four zones' worth of progress is kind of a momentum killer.

Sonic Triple Trouble 16-Bit is an absolute masterpiece.

This was such an enjoyable experience for me, because it feels like the creators really wanted to expand upon both the original game and the Genesis 4. The attention to detail, the changes mid-level and the level transitions are amazing. I really like the jungle temple style given to Meta Junglira, it really improved my opinion of the level after previous demos. I suppose the end of Atomic Destroyer is a bit hellish, but I also kind of enjoyed it either way. The physics feel right, but it's the level design and gimmicks that really elevate this above a lot of other 2D fan games. Sunset Park, for example, has a lot of movement based gimmicks that still reward clever platforming while still keeping the level moving at breakneck speeds. The use of rocket shoes was short and sweet but also a really great callback, as was the submarine section of Tidal Park Act 2. I think, having not played any of the 8-bit games, I have a renewed interest and appreciation for the ideas at play, despite technical limitations. The special stages aren't terrible (which is saying something in the Sonic series) and I felt like I genuinely wanted to get better at them and best them, though they also weren't overbearingly hard. The balance that the game has, in level design and its general tempo, shows a real dedication and understanding to Classic Sonic. I'm really just a sucker for a good classic 2D Sonic game, but this especially. The sprite art is nothing short of amazing, and I especially like all the unique sprites that Sonic and Tails get during cutscenes. I'm sort of rambling, but everything about this game is amazing. Even the music hits the spot, zones like Great Turquoise 1, Egg Zeppelin, and Sunset Park 2 especially. This game is just amazing, all I can say.  

Brief Spoilers:

Spoiler

I was happy to see that not only Knuckles, but also Fang, are unlock able, though I haven't played either of their campaigns yet. I'm not particularly fond of Fang's moveset, though maybe I don't quite understand it. Having Super Sonic was great (though I kept transforming on accident). The Super Sonic music was stellar and a breath of fresh air after Sonic Origins; seriously, that is how you compose a Super theme. The final boss was also pretty cool as well and I thought the difficulty was pretty fair. And I loved Purple Palace, unlocking it on accident upon first play through was cool. 

I have few qualms with the game other than the ones I've already mentioned. I'd like to give immense thanks to all the level designers, composers, programmers, and everyone else who worked on the project. Seriously, this has become a part of certain group of great Sonic fan games, ones with pure love poured into them, with the likes of SRB2 and Sonic B/ATS among it. This game is great, not much else I can say.

• Thumbs Up 1

Had a really fun time playing through the game and it's great to see how well it's been adapted to a 16 bit game. Got all the emeralds by the second zone and have not long since completed it. Came cross multiple bugs, with the act 2 of the jungle zone (can't remember the names) having a section where the layering is wrong and you get stopped by a wall, and in AD Act 2, the spinning blades sent me out of bounds constantly or got me stuck in a wall.

Really fun to play through and I'm not finished yet! Worth a go.

• Fist Bump 1