Awoo.

New Holiday animation coming tomorrow!

Red Hot Jack

19 minutes ago, Celestia said:

That was adorable! Are holiday shorts just going to be a thing from now on (on top of stuff to directly promote new games, I'm sure) because I'd be cool with that...

That'd be so cool.

11 minutes ago, Sean said:

Wow, that's almost everyone you need.

Except people who can make video games.

Well, that never stopped Sonic Team :V Just sayin'.

Of course you can't make a great Sonic game with these 4 folks he mentioned,  but through in a Stealth, a Taxman, a Hunter Bridges, a Tom Fry, a Tee Lopes and see if they can't kick ass. I'll put my hand into the fire for these folks. 

• Chuckle 1

Finally revealed and it's a dream. Of course. 0/10

But no I really enjoyed it. It was adorable. I actually laughed super hard at force ghost Tikal. Never thought she'd ever have a return. Beautiful. And Chao are capable of nasty fatalities, as I'm sure Sonic had to reattach that nose XP.

Bravo! Have some gifs:

giphy.gif

Super Chao ❤️

giphy.gif

Very cute indeed.

I like to think this poll where Chao Gardens won the most votes had some influence on this Chao themed short being created:

Seems like these Christmas Holiday shorts are becoming a tradition ("From: A.Rose" was last years holiday short). 

These animated shorts are definitely one of the best things to come out of SEGA over the last few years and It's awesome someone from SEGA (I forget whom) confirmed they plan to make more of these for future games.

giphy.gif

Obviously the fanbase holds a lot of affection for Chao, so it was a good choice to bring them back. I'll admit this isn't my favorite short but it's still good.

I kinda wish there was at least a tiny bit of dialogue for Sonic. Yeah, I know they probably don't have the budget. Hopefully we'll get dialogue in future shorts.

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

Yes let Tyson Hess, Jasmin Hernandez and Ian Flynn and all the american division (except Pontaff) replace Sonic Team. Let Sonic team only be producers.

Let me rephrase that: they are everyone we need for Sonic stories, shorts, a possible cartoon. Not to replace Sonic Team, to replace Pontaff.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Jack in Space said:

Let me rephrase that: they are everyone we need for Sonic stories, shorts, a possible cartoon. Not to replace Sonic Team, to replace Pontaff.

To replace Sonic Team on these fronts, yes. Writing, characterization, art direction and design.

If you wanna throw programmers and composers, just get the Mania staff and you have a game without Sonic Team. 

They did a short on Chao in Space of all things. That was cute and kinda funny.

Super Penguin Chao was humorously unexpected.

5 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

This is Tikal’s first appearance since 2015-ish, in the comics and Runners. Maybe there’s hope for characters like Sticks and Nega...

And does this make the Wisps the Yuuzhan Vong?

Nega was in Tokyo, complete with a gi.

Sheesh.

5 hours ago, MainJP said:

Seeing Tikal at all was a pleasant surprise. Seeing Tikal as a Force ghost was a massive plus.

Ao7qPTu.jpg

I mean, they kinda had to.

4 hours ago, Iko said:

Anyway, Eggman is not that evil, he loves chao too; once he's been spotted cuddling some chao on a desert island near where the Egg Carrier crashed. I know, it's a joke. He's fully playable in SA2 and can raise chao as well.

Uh, you sure you're not referring to the private Chao Garden that was also his base in Sonic X?

4 hours ago, MainJP said:

Chess made an astute observation. Shades. Mustache. This can't be a coincidence.

IaJgQt7.jpgb7H0adU.jpg

The Man 3 short when?

What the shit?!

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

Every good thing that happens will be turned into an excuse to cry about Sonic Team.

I know, right?

Replacing Sonic Team is not necessary... if this stuff exists, it's also because of them.

Honestly I prefer Sonic Team over, for example, Hardlight Studio and their F2P games with annoying microtransactions, chests and level ups. Honestly, they should find some new talented developer but not being replaced completely. Working with Christian Whitehead and his team, maybe, but not replaced by them, just working together.

And honestly I miss the Dimps of the Advance and Rush series. A lot of the innovation in the franchise came from their games, before they were stuck at making watered down versions of console games (debatable consiering that Sonic Colors DS was arguably better/more solid than the Wii counterpart).

This said, I agree with replacing Pontaff, that should have happend time ago already.

These animated short are becoming better and better with time, especially now that they aren't limited to the classic universe anymore. Honestly, all I want, is more of those shorts, and them included in some new games as cutscenes... and more characters appearing in the shorts, offcuourse.

As I said time ago, I'd like to see a story that involves the chao, Tikal, Cream & Cheese, Knuckles and the echidna clan, Angel Island, Emerl/Gemerl/the Gizoid in general, and Chaos... basically a story of chao, ancient echidnas and their connection to the modern world, with characters who are either related to chao or to the echidnas (or both) expanding their role and getting some development (I don't mind Sonic Chronicles being retconned). So far, between this short and the IDW comics, they put the basis for something like this to happen sooner or later. I'd never expected a return of Tikal, finally Cream and Gemerl being buddies as it should have been since after Advance 3, and Gemerl returning at all. All what is needed is a story that connects all those characters who may seem unrelated at first, but a connection to the ancient echidnas lore is what links all of them.

There is some unexplored potential in that side of the Sonic universe IMO. More chao and gizoid lore. There's enough material to make a spin-off series about it, though those elements and characters rarely get mentioned.

13 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Uh, you sure you're not referring to the private Chao Garden that was also his base in Sonic X?

Yes and no, I remember that Chao Garden from SA1 with Eggman stuff everywhere, I didn't remember that it was in Sonic X as well.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm sure as hell enjoyed this a lot. So much so that I'm eager to have more stuff like this, but integrated to the games. But I'm also sure as hell we ain't getting this from the current Sonic Team (Forces' staff).

17 minutes ago, Iko said:

Yes and no, I remember that Chao Garden from SA1 with Eggman stuff everywhere, I didn't remember that it was in Sonic X as well.

latest?cb=20161209202148latest?cb=20161129221019

Oh, my mistake. It's a similar idea, but decidedly not the same thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Glorious. They continue to strike gold with these. Angry penguin eyes needs to become a thing.

6 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

I really loved this animation. I never thought they would acknowledge Tikal after all this time, even though she did appear in Sonic Runners they didn't seem to be interested in adding her to any of the other spinoffs like Team Sonic Racing or Mario & Sonic. Also Sonic Runners is dead now so I don't want to count it. lol

Either way, I can't in good faith ask Sonic Team to add the Chao Garden to their next game. For one, they have a smaller budget and less talent than they did all those years ago, and if they can't get the gameplay right then they shouldn't put their time into making a Chao Garden from scratch. And even if they did do it, there's no guarantee that it'll be even half as good as what we have in SA2B.

A Chao Garden Mobile game is a possibility, but it wouldn't be as good simply because the Chao Garden in SA2B encouraged you to replay levels over and over to collect Rings, Chaos Drives, and Animals for your Chao. The main game and the Chao Garden kinda helped each other create a cycle that people can play for hours and hours, and that wouldn't be possible if the Speed Stages and the Chao raising weren't fun separately. I don't think a Chao Garden mobile game could accomplish what SA2B did.

You don't need to replay levels to earn money for Chaos Drives or even animals. Just simulate the minigames from the Sonic Advance games if its that big a deal.

But for more advance gameplay I think maybe they should focus more on the bonding aspect of players with their chao. Like perhaps the player fulfilling quests that can earn money while also strengthening the bond between them and their chao with perhaps things like Chao Karate for Mobile. And a chao race maker if the funds grow good enough. Chao Races off the bat may or may not be too much to ask of them. Make Chao Karate more advanced though. like say, Pokemon with a more unique move pool for your chao to choose from, while making it unique enough to where it can be differet because chao's stats would make the game operate differently than a pokemon's.

Really tempted to make some artwork on this concept, lol. Super inspired by now thanks to this video. XD

Just allow you to get money from Chao Karate, that was an optional thing that did nothing besides give an emblem.

10 minutes ago, Rosaleia said:

You don't need to replay levels to earn money for Chaos Drives or even animals. Just simulate the minigames from the Sonic Advance games if its that big a deal.

The point was, replaying the levels should already be fun, because then people wouldn't really have a problem doing it for Chao Garden.

Well the actual point seemed to be that Chao Garden should be part of a game...and then this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Loved this short a lot! All of the shorts have been great, but it's awesome to see Modern Sonic and his set of stuff like the Chao outside of Team Sonic Racing Overdrive - which was fun, but was locked into the racing element and so couldn't come across as naturally as Mania Adventures did. This was a great slice of life moment though. The end credits sorta tied this into Team Sonic Racing promotion, but honestly this shows the team can and should be allowed to pump these out on occasion for just general promotional purposes - perhaps as it's own branch thing since they already receive merchandise on the Sega shops whenever a new one comes out.

As far as using these in the games in place of the current style of cutscenes, I can see the appeal but I also like the normal cutscenes. Anything is better than the talking heads in Forces or the talking cutouts in Free Riders and Team Sonic Racing, but the cutscenes we've gotten using the in game models in Unleashed/Colors/Generations/Lost World/Forces look fine to me and haven't really aged poorly like say SA1's cutscenes have (which I also like btw, just they obviously aren't the prettiest anymore). I certainly wouldn't want to lose Marza animation, but that's with the caveat that we've been getting less and less Marza animation in recent years - with Forces limiting them just to advertisements.

But yeah, this was a great short and can't wait for whenever a new one comes out!

If they make a Chao Garden app or include Chao Garden in the next game, at this point I demand a Space Invaders style minigame in it.

I wasn't a huge fan of it. I thought the serious nature of the Chao in Space segements, while obviously being intentionally OTT and daft, was a bit too cringey for me to handle.

I also don't think the voice sound effects work, either they should use voice acting or none at all.

17 hours ago, DabigRG said:

They did a short on Chao in Space of all things. That was cute and kinda funny.

Super Penguin Chao was humorously unexpected.

Nega was in Tokyo, complete with a gi.

Sheesh.

I mean, they kinda had to.

What the shit?!

I know, right?

1. I agree. I wonder if a Chaos Cola commercial would be fun?

2. Agreed.

3. Oh. Thanks. Though I think it might have partially been through asset recycling, and I meant outside of the Olympics. 

4. Then what would be the Vong instead? 

5. She’s basically one in canon! Sacrifices herself and her body vanishes, and is now tied to a specific force... The Death Star ISN’T the only SW element in the series! 

5 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

1. I agree. I wonder if a Chaos Cola commercial would be fun?

Eh, idk. Not sure a soda ad would be interesting compared to a space battle.

3. Oh. Thanks. Though I think it might have partially been through asset recycling, and I meant outside of the Olympics. 

I mean he's interacting with other characters that are relatively active in the series proper, so I'd count it. That and the anniversary manga.

4. Then what would be the Vong instead? 

The Black Arms?

Also, I more reating to you bringing them up.

5. She’s basically one in canon! Sacrifices herself and her body vanishes, and is now tied to a specific force... The Death Star ISN’T the only SW element in the series! 

Ah yes, the Chaos Force was strong in Knuckles' family.

I enjoyed it and couldn't stop smiling as I watched. That, and the use of the voice clips reminded me of the Unleashed shorts.