Awoo.

If you could bring back any Sonic level

Plasme

If, as will probably happen, the next Sonic game will re-imagine old levels, which ones would you like to see?

I would pick Quartz Quadrant, just because of how incredible the JP soundtrack is. I also think it's a unique level trope and would fit well with other levels.

If they're going to bring back more levels I'd like if they could pick ones that are narratively and/or thematically relevant rather than just memorable levels for nostalgia's sake, since they've just about done that to death already. Of course I don't know what the next game will be about so I can't really choose a zone based on that...so Mushroom Hill, why not. It's fun and bouncy and the series hasn't done anything interesting with Angel Island in ages so why not go back for a bit.

• Thumbs Up 5

My lineup:

1. Studiopolis (Sonic Mania); we would revisit the zone at day, from a higher angle. A Beverly Hills-like area would follow, along with a twist on the Walk of Fame.

2. Ice Cap (Sonic 3); to showcase the original music that was planned for the zone.  There would also be a section referencing Ice Mountain from Advance 1, with a secret take-that to TSR.

2 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

I'm not a huge fan of Sonic Advance 2, but I think Music Plant would be neat to reimagine, especially for the remix.

I'm a fan of the Advance games, and 2 is my favorite; Music Plant would be my pick as well.

Honorable mentions to Ice Paradise, and Leaf Forest. Sky Canyon is already 2D Windy Valley so better to bring back the original if anything.

Spoiler

Music Plant:

I think it would be a pink version of the orange Sweet Mountain from Sonic Colors, with gimmicks based on music instead of food. Still a very creative concept with countless possibilities regardless... I would like if they make it look more like a huge concert area or theme park, or both at the same time, and wouldn't mind Vector doing the DJ in there somewhere.

Ice Paradise:

I think that Generations' Speed Highway already has a similar atmosphere, minus ice and slides. The blue tones and the spotlight beams in the background create a very similar feel, and ironically they put Cream near the entrance of the zone in the hub world (I like to think that's intentional).

spacer.png

spacer.png

I like this zone and would like to see it back, but probably it wouldn't look much different than what we have already seen in Generations. It would still be interesting to have an ice/mountain city level though.

Leaf Forest:

The original one is a bit too bland, though I think it has potential to be reworked and reimagined, and to become unique and interesting if done right. Add some huge gimmicks based on actual leaves and trees, and artistically, put more emphasis on the artificial-nature hybrid aesthetics to create a more surreal environment reminiscent of Knuckles' Chaotix visual style (possibly with less clashing colors, a more focused artistic direction and overall less messy visually).

I'm torn between Mushroom or Pumpkin Hill. Bringing back the season changes for 3D would be pretty awesome, and Pumpkin Hill is a modern aesthetic that hasn't been done too often. Heck running through Pumpkin Hill (a zone originally all about gliding) at a modern games pace would be unique enough in itself.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Cuz said:

I'm torn between Mushroom or Pumpkin Hill. Bringing back the season changes for 3D would be pretty awesome, and Pumpkin Hill is a modern aesthetic that hasn't been done too often. Heck running through Pumpkin Hill (a zone originally all about gliding) at a modern games pace would be unique enough in itself.

This exists already. Anyway, Pumpkin Hill is a good choice IMO, I'd especially like to see a classic version of it.

I was going to say Emerald Coast from Sonic Adventure but it's already been  done so Twinkle Park is a better choice, also Metropolis Zone from Sonic 2.

In no particular order:

Hang Castle/Mystic Mansion - One of series more unique levels/gimmicks and one that doesn't get brought up whole lot.

Sky Deck - It's been ages since we've had a proper airship level and I like the original Egg Carrier.

Mystic Cave - Another level trope we haven't seen much of.

Metal Harbor -  A great level that just can't seem to get out of City Escape's shadow.

White Acropolis - I like the idea of Shadow Moses Island as a Sonic level. Sue me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, there aren't too many levels I'd like to see brought back as the tropes behind them have been explored from a dozen different angles at least. That said, I would like to see some of the more unique zones from Sonic Drift 2 actually explored as fully realized locations and not just a scrolling background. Some of those levels just tickled my imagination the right way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh man, I grew up playing all the 8 bit titles, so I'd love to see them all come back. I'm very excited about the fan remakes of Chaos and  Triple Trouble. But so far no love for Sonic 1 or 2. Mania made me shed a tear when I saw Silver Sonic in the Metal Sonic fight. Sonic 2's zones are something special, they were very abstract and they still stand out. Colour palettes you rarely see in a Sonic game. 

I love this game so much I have started developing my own remake!

On 12/23/2019 at 3:23 AM, Iko said:

I'm a fan of the Advance games, and 2 is my favorite; Music Plant would be my pick as well.

Honorable mentions to Ice Paradise, and Leaf Forest. Sky Canyon is already 2D Windy Valley so better to bring back the original if anything.

Reveal hidden contents

Music Plant:

I think it would be a pink version of the orange Sweet Mountain from Sonic Colors, with gimmicks based on music instead of food. Still a very creative concept with countless possibilities regardless... I would like if they make it look more like a huge concert area or theme park, or both at the same time, and wouldn't mind Vector doing the DJ in there somewhere.

Ice Paradise:

I think that Generations' Speed Highway already has a similar atmosphere, minus ice and slides. The blue tones and the spotlight beams in the background create a very similar feel, and ironically they put Cream near the entrance of the zone in the hub world (I like to think that's intentional).

spacer.png

spacer.png

I like this zone and would like to see it back, but probably it wouldn't look much different than what we have already seen in Generations. It would still be interesting to have an ice/mountain city level though.

Leaf Forest:

The original one is a bit too bland, though I think it has potential to be reworked and reimagined, and to become unique and interesting if done right. Add some huge gimmicks based on actual leaves and trees, and artistically, put more emphasis on the artificial-nature hybrid aesthetics to create a more surreal environment reminiscent of Knuckles' Chaotix visual style (possibly with less clashing colors, a more focused artistic direction and overall less messy visually).

Music plant gives me fever dreams about a Sonic game where the level design and background art moves in time with the music

• Thumbs Up 2

Aquatic Ruin Zone (Sonic 2)

Oil Ocean Zone (Sonic 2)

Hydrocity Zone (Sonic 3)

Final Egg (Sonic Adventure)

Egg Fleet (Sonic Heroes)

Spring Yard Zone (Sonic 1)

Labyrinth Zone (Sonic 1)

I like Hill Top a lot. If we ever got it back in a Sonic 3 lengths fashion, it’d be pure bliss. I had so much fun in that stage. The earthquakes, the rising lava, the platform riding, the hidden routes you had to break the ground to find, etc.

Would love to see several Sonic Drift 2 zones like Emerald Ocean, Milky Way, and Rainy Savannah.

And omg Chaos Angel from Advance 3.