Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

So apparently there's a new 2D Sonic coming out next year

It has a trailer and everything. Basically the Sonic equivalent of mega Man 9.

Given Sega's track record of plan execution, this could make or break Sonic.

Which do you guys think is more likely?

Another notice from the janitors above: Along with stupid flaming, posts that contain any trace of the Sonic Cycle will be deleted on the spot. For god's sake, please do not make an ass out of yourself, and try to have fun talking about the upcoming game instead! -your benevolent god, Jake

EDIT: Topic title changed to reflect what is more than likely the final name.

Edited by Aquaslash
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh boy. Fanbase explodes in 3...2...1...

Honestly, at this point I can't convince myself it's safe to hope. But I will be keeping a close eye on this, as, either way, this is going to be something big.

Wow, I was not expecting SEGA to actually listen to classic fans and finally make this game. This game will be big, I swear. I know SEGA have said "hurhur 2d unleashed sections wer maed 4 fans of the old gaemz becuz theyr 2d!!", but this could very well play just like the classics only in HD. Oh man, I'm stoked for this, I really want to see what this looks like in action.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Every time a new game is announced, there's always someone saying it's gonna "make or break" Sonic. Sonic hasn't been made or broken yet, and I highly doubt this is gonna be any different.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well what do ya know, a (supposedly) new 2D sonic game. I'm sort of happy, since it A) will finally shut up the "OH SONIC SHOULD BE LIKE MEGAMAN 9" people and B ) keep the 2D fanbase happy....I hope.

But really, I guess since it's using HD Graphics, that means it's trying to improve instead of going backwards like Megaman 2 9. Still, 2D can only go so far, and I can bet people will find something to complain about. It's still early, so time will tell. *goes to check other forums/game sites for reactions*

Count me excited, but am I the only one just a little scared too see Sonic's new design based on that silhouette? It looked a bit... blocky for the blue blur. Looks like he has a longer tail now, though, which I think would look cool.

In any event my applause to you, Sega, for giving a real step back to Sonic's roots a shot.

Edited by Cipher

Yay, HD! Genesis style gameplay!

GS: Why did Sega decide to bring Sonic back to 2D? Did the success of Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure play a part?

KB: Old-school Sonic fans have long asked to see Sonic return to a more 2D style of gameplay. Many liked the daytime stages in Unleashed, but wanted to see a game that plays purely similar to the early games of the Genesis. Project Needlemouse is that critical first step that brings Sonic back to his 2D roots.

GS: What can you tell us about the game?

KB: I can tell you it

(Sega, whatever you do, TRY not to make the fans BAAAAAAAW over this.)

well...... this is interesting. To be honest though, it's a bit wierd to have it in 2010... unless they intend to delay it on purpose. =P

This seems exciting at first, but then... I have serious doubts. If it's Sonic Team doing it, then I have my worries, because they've long completely missed the point of what makes a good Sonic game (granted, that's subjective, but still), and I doubt they'd even get the point of what made the Genisis games good. On the other hand, the people making Mega Man 9 actually had a fucking clue.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be completely negative here, but for God's sake, people, don't hype yourselves up for this. Heck, that's sound advice for pretty much anything.

Edited by The Sniper
  • Thumbs Up 1

Count me excited, but am I the only one just a little scared too see Sonic's new design based on that silhouette? It looked a bit... blocky for the blue blur. Looks like he has a longer tail now, though, which I think would look cool.
I actually just checked this; it's pretty much a retrace of the Sonic 1 title screen. And if that's anything to go by, the only design change we'll see is a return to the old chubby Sonic.

For God's sake, people, don't hype yourselves up for this.

D:

But how can we be horribly disappointed if it's awful if we don't hype ourselves up? ;)

I actually just checked this; it's pretty much a retrace of the Sonic 1 title screen. And if that's anything to go by, the only design change we'll see is a return to the old chubby Sonic.

Ah, good then, judging by the silhouette I thought the spines looked wrong.

EDIT: Oh, I see it now, part of the ring silhouette was throwing off the shape of the spines for me.

Edited by Cipher

Haha, when Shadikat sent this to me I couldn't believe it....

I got a news post up and written. Just waiting a half hour until the 9th. DC's birthday.

Seems only right.

This is essentially Sonic 4. Wow, I haven't been excited like this in a while. Calling it "Project Needlemouse" is icing on the cake.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Already excited about this. And the teaser is just in time for the 10th anniversary of the American Dreamcast launch.

I've personally never been a stickler for remakes, re-releases, HD updates, homages, and whathaveyou, even for 3D games; Just don't like having old material served to me, especially if I can play something very similar or identical on an older console. As such, I have no real feelings yet for this Needlemouse, but despite my neutral/cynical take towards the project, I shall humbly wait and see what lies before us while giddily preparing for the inevitable explosions that the fanbase is bound to have.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I like the classic sound effects, but I haven't sen enough yet. My old axiom: When dealing with Sega, assume the worst, most boring possible thing based on the information you have. Let's take a look:

GS: What games do you think have captured that essence best over the years?

KB: Personally, the games that first come to mind are the Sonic Legacy titles, (Sonic 1, 2, 3, & Knuckles), Sonic Adventure, Sonic Rush, and Sonic

Colour me excited! This sounds really cool and I'm going to go all fan boy and say I can't wait. I just hope it's released on a system which I can play it on, in other words the DS or PC as I don't own any of the current gen consoles.

Ah... uh... ha... holy shit.

So the near unanimous cry from gamers and fans has been realized. Sonic's gonna get that game. Wow, wow. My policy was usually "Be careful what you wish for", but wow. I hope this turns out great and ramps into something for his 20th anniversary.

And project Needlemouse? Retro like a mofo. Show us you know how to do this, Sega. Please!

I like the classic sound effects, but I haven't sen enough yet. My old axiom: When dealing with Sega, assume the worst, most boring possible thing based on the information you have. Let's take a look: